Diablo® III

My opinions on PoE and D3

PoE is clumsy and buggy. Other than detailed skill tree there is nothing new or exciting about it. There is no secure trading option. It is impossible to play co-op as loot being shared by everyone.

Diablo 3 destroys PoE with combat system and amazing gameplay.

More inaccuracies, not any more buggy than any other game in the early stages. Nothing new or exciting? How about no stupid useless gold and instead orbs which let you customize your own equipment? How about finding your skills and having them level with you? How about modifying those skill gems with support gems? You apparently haven't kept up on POE because there is a secure trade window that is designed to keep you from getting scammed. They are also working on a system for you to trade with other players outside of the game through the website (No AH's). Loot is currently FFA with a short timer which is manageable for most players and doesn't keep you from playign with friends.

Smooth combat doesn't at all mean that "Diablo 3 destroys POE" to any ARPG lover. As an action game maybe but I didn't buy D3 for a stupid action game. I wanted an action ROLE PLAYING GAME, which it fails at being.
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 01:32 AMPosted by Alcovitch
Curious about the combat system claims. I'm sorry but in PoE you can skillfully dodge ranged attacks won't get killed by some random monster when you are "feet" away from it. The D3 game does not have a in-depth combat system at all.

Lmao. Alright, you can have dodging arrows if you want. I'll take precise, fluid control, visceral combat over an arrow dodge any day.

Your statement wouldn't be nearly as hilarious if POE's combat wasn't so craptacular to start with.

POE's combat is sooooo bad that people who game for a living like Kripparian think its awesome. That's ridiculous. Keep praising D3 for being a decent action game. I guess that's all its good at.
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 01:43 AMPosted by Alcovitch

........hmmm that reminds me of......something along the lines of significantly raising repair costs without testing and then lowering them back down because the idea was a complete disaster or something. wait im getting something else.....

something about having an unreasonable difficulty scale due to lack of testing and then nerfing the !@#$ out of your game because the majority of your player base couldnt handle it.......

good thing d3 doesnt suffer such horrid developers though.

I never said Diablo 3 was perfect. It is however, far more polished and refined then PoE. Everything about PoE Screams of exactly what you're accusing Blizzard of doing.

Thats retarded. POE was built from the ground up with its current systems. D3 is changing crap because they didn't do it right the first time. Completely different.
Reply Quote

Nothing new? You clearly are as experienced with PoE as you are with D3 looking at your profile. There are more "new" and intuitive qualities in PoE than the entire d3 addition to the diablo series.

I played it enough to see your claim is a big hoax. And as for my Diablo 3 experience - I don't play in US servers I am from EU. I have spent 500+ hours.

PoE is appreciated mostly by people who played Diablo 2 - and Diablo 2 is a horrible game, it is such a game that kinda make it hard to call a game. It's skill tree, theory building and all those things were possible because game wasn't challenging at all, it was one of those easiest games in which you could easily make any build and think it works.

In terms of gameplay PoE suffers the same way D2 does, it is a potato smashing game, it feels like you are in a huge training stage to spam potions and click the very same potato each time. Only thing that makes potatoes different than each other is their models, some are zombies, some are humans - whatever but they are all the same potatoes in terms of gameplay/combat.

Diablo 2 had one of the most boring combat in the history of gaming, spamming potions and holding the mouse button clicked. It is extremely bland and primitive. With Diablo 3 we have seen many of these problems are removed. Maybe not to an extent that make it complicated as a chess game but it is much better than potion spamming now. Kiting, randomization, the way to approach - they are all entertaining and makes you keep focused. I remember after I completed normal difficulty in Diablo 2 how boring it was to test a build - I played it for a couple of hours then I was thinking/daydreaming of another things when playing the game mindlessly. If your theory crafting is possible simply because the game is super easy sorry but I'm not in the same boat with you. You can also go play CoD or Quake in training stages jumping up and down in front of a target board and call it a build if that is what you understand by a game

In Diablo 3 all enemies are different in terms of gameplay and they are vastly randomized. Combat is smooth and fun. PoE is simply clicking on pixelized potatoes and nothing else. It is too old. There are too many issues. It is hard to click potatoes because clickable area is very small, clicking on them in higher resolution makes the game hard as an FPS game in which you need to shoot an enemy far away with a pistol. In that sense it can be called challenging but I'd prefer to go play black ops. Also force stand still is broken

In short, Diablo 2 and Poe aren't games, they let you do builds that make you think you are smart but it is only this way because you are playing an easy game with no challenges. It is a dress-my-babe game. It is ancient, old, boring. Only good thing about PoE is its awesome visuals, gritty, dark and atmospheric. In that sense it easily beats comic style Diablo 3 art. Other than that I can't really recommend it to anyone

I played d2 for 10 years

You played D2 for 10 years yet you called it a horrible game. LOL what? I'm not even going to bother refuting your other comments. You threw your credibility out the window by saying that.
Reply Quote
The excitement over PoE dies off very quickly, just like it did with TL2. At the start when it's all new and fresh, things seem pretty interesting, different and fun. But once you've played a few days, you miss the polished and flowing combat that D3 offers.

The biggest flaw in both PoE and TL2 is that combat seems unnatural and harder than it should be. Trust me, after a week or two you'll be glad to get back to D3 where you can bust off all six skills within two seconds.

All PoE discussion seemed to die off for a while but it seems to have been rekindled recently. You can go on their forum and see plenty of threads with the same complaints that you posted. The main one seems to be clunky, boring combat with the fan boys saying that this must not be the game for you. Sounds rather familiar.

PoE is like an iPhone game compared to D3.

What a lie. There are not plenty of threads complaining about clunky, boring combat. Is telling lies the only way you can try to act like D3 is a much better game?

The POE community is actually very happy with the game.
Reply Quote
PoE looks frustrating.

All PoE discussion seemed to die off for a while but it seems to have been rekindled recently. You can go on their forum and see plenty of threads with the same complaints that you posted. The main one seems to be clunky, boring combat with the fan boys saying that this must not be the game for you. Sounds rather familiar.

PoE is like an iPhone game compared to D3.

What a lie. There are not plenty of threads complaining about clunky, boring combat. Is telling lies the only way you can try to act like D3 is a much better game?

The POE community is actually very happy with the game.

Clunky, boring, broken. PoE.
Reply Quote

Fanboy is a fanboy.
Reply Quote

Fanboy is a fanboy.

says the poe fanboy.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
12/13/2012 01:32 AMPosted by Alcovitch
Curious about the combat system claims. I'm sorry but in PoE you can skillfully dodge ranged attacks won't get killed by some random monster when you are "feet" away from it. The D3 game does not have a in-depth combat system at all.

Lmao. Alright, you can have dodging arrows if you want. I'll take precise, fluid control, visceral combat over an arrow dodge any day.

Your statement wouldn't be nearly as hilarious if POE's combat wasn't so craptacular to start with.

How the hell was d3 combat ever visceral or fluid control, you spammed aoe's and prayed crap died before you did. OH YEAH THAT'S BLEEDING EDGE COMBAT RIGHT THERE!

The GM events, Hardcore, Legacy, PVP and different leagues make PoE a rather interesting the game and the combat is the same as any other ARPG just cause it doesn't have pretty color's and lights that flicker to keep you entertained while smashing monsters and bad guys.

I am sorry your so simple minded that games that have substance aren't always visually amazing although i think for a indie company, with almost no budget was able to do this is amazing. Never mind that's its beta and they intentionally only released two levels and open beta will bring us another full Act.
I've enjoyed the combat system, the skill tree is pretty awesome, its over whelming and sometimes hard to figure out. But you aren't pigeon holed into one build, I like the idea of my witch who's looked at as a pure caster by default but ends up winning races because she is a dual wield claw summoner.
Using the skill gems to combo abilities actually makes gemming kind of fun. Archer w/ Lighting Strike + Imp makes with plenty of "pew pew".

Hold on tight because you will need to as things you held deep slip away to better things.

Okay?

Also, do some homework, begging the difference is far more correct than "beg the differ."

The true idiom is 'I beg to differ' which means 'I disagree'. Please do your homework.

Although, playing games since D1 entitles you to one thing besides a smartass, and that is a damn fool for wasting that much time on pixels and caring enough to defend D3.

I'm a fool for wasting time on pixels? I guess the pot is calling the kettle black? Way to go and call every gamer out there a fool. Nice one, man.

Because he was clearly talking about EVER gamer, no competent gamer is gonna look at that and go, oh my god! He's talking to me.
Reply Quote

Fanboy is a fanboy.

says the poe fanboy.

I am not blind to issues with POE and I don't need to bash D3 to make me feel better about playing POE, so no I am not a fanboy I am just defending POE as the well made game that it is against the D3 fanboys desperately wanting D3 to be better.
Reply Quote
@Spectral

If you watch the other video and actually think about what he's saying he's saying armor is useless, evasion is useless, ES or GTFO because it is the only way you can survive those OHKOs.

Want to tank? Be a caster.

I understand that you want to hear what you want to hear. But if he really would be thinking that only ES works for getting not oneshotted then why he build a character like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSQib4-_U_k

ES is converted to mana through a keystone on the tree, so he only have life and armor!

You seem to think that every player want to have competition against other players, maybe much want that but others dont need it to have fun by playing this game. If you just want to follow a very strong build then do this, but in my opinion the way to your endgame character is much more enjoyable if you make your own build and see if it works.
I have much fun by doing this, and PvP and ladders are a bonus if i want real competition.
But i simply have fun by playing my own way!
Edited by OldBoy#2656 on 12/15/2012 1:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Shaman
deleted
Edited by Icon0clast#1542 on 12/16/2012 9:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
Dropped the $10 about a week ago for closed beta access for PoE. I can see me possibly never returning to D3. While not quite as "pretty" as D3, it sure is a far superior game. It really is what D3 should have been.
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 05:55 AMPosted by Spectral
No, the game is always like that. It was like that when I played months ago and it was like that when he played days ago. Their devs went on record to say it would take them weeks to fix the problem if they started then and did nothing else... and so they didn't. But I dunno about you but I consider the gameplay the most important part of any game. If it's clunky and unresponsive, nothing else about the game matters. It sucks horribly. As such fixing this should have been their highest priority and the fact it wasn't - the fact they valued fluff over substance then don't even look good just means they took their screw ups...

No they are actually stress testing servers guy, theres a huge thread about it on the forums, its on the news feed too, and there are thousands of bots (GGG also sends messages about downtime and warning messages about possible disconnects, I also seem to be getting messages from bots since my global chat is off...I could be mistaken). So, yeah...please continue to bash a game in closed beta as it tests its servers for the open beta that has more content and desire to play than a "finished" released game...

On a side note, playing this game and PoE, I find PoE more fun. It reminds me of Dark Alliance and this one other game that was on the PS2 that escapes my memory. Not everything needs to be as fast paced as CoD.

I also find that both are realistic in regard to gameplay pace, and both hit the nail on the head. In D3 you're fighting hell, legions of demons and monsters of all sorts, slow paced combat is not very optimal. I can't honestly say that I know much about the story/lore, as far as I can tell the only thing that we know is that you've shipwrecked onto some dark and distant island and you do multiple quests for the locals; they're not really side missions nor story missions if that makes sense, and you're traveling through wilderness most of the time. So no, there is no rift to hell breaking open releasing scores of demons hungry to take over the world.

TL;DR
D3 feels very modernized, while PoE feels a little more classic; one's very fast paced at times *cough cough Act 3* while the other maintains a constant pace. One's fully released with less content than the closed beta that fully opens in less than a month.
Edited by Souljah11#1199 on 12/18/2012 7:59 PM PST
Reply Quote

I never said Diablo 3 was perfect. It is however, far more polished and refined then PoE. Everything about PoE Screams of exactly what you're accusing Blizzard of doing.

Thats retarded. POE was built from the ground up with its current systems. D3 is changing crap because they didn't do it right the first time. Completely different.

PoE could use with a bunch of polishing and iteration on it's core systems. Like, REALLY use it.
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Aenoan

How the hell was d3 combat ever visceral or fluid control, you spammed aoe's and prayed crap died before you did. OH YEAH THAT'S BLEEDING EDGE COMBAT RIGHT THERE!

The GM events, Hardcore, Legacy, PVP and different leagues make PoE a rather interesting the game and the combat is the same as any other ARPG just cause it doesn't have pretty color's and lights that flicker to keep you entertained while smashing monsters and bad guys.

I am sorry your so simple minded that games that have substance aren't always visually amazing although i think for a indie company, with almost no budget was able to do this is amazing. Never mind that's its beta and they intentionally only released two levels and open beta will bring us another full Act.
I've enjoyed the combat system, the skill tree is pretty awesome, its over whelming and sometimes hard to figure out. But you aren't pigeon holed into one build, I like the idea of my witch who's looked at as a pure caster by default but ends up winning races because she is a dual wield claw summoner.
Using the skill gems to combo abilities actually makes gemming kind of fun. Archer w/ Lighting Strike + Imp makes with plenty of "pew pew".

Okay?

The true idiom is 'I beg to differ' which means 'I disagree'. Please do your homework.

I'm a fool for wasting time on pixels? I guess the pot is calling the kettle black? Way to go and call every gamer out there a fool. Nice one, man.

Because he was clearly talking about EVER gamer, no competent gamer is gonna look at that and go, oh my god! He's talking to me.

Really, then please enlighten me on exactly what his point was?
Reply Quote
Is there a monk equivalent in PoE?
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 06:50 AMPosted by Ruiner
Is there a monk equivalent in PoE?

You can make a build that punches use a unique item called face breaker. I haven't tried it myself but thats probably the closest thing you will find to being a "monk".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]