Diablo® III

Ghost Assassin Build 1.0.6 (High MP/ Ubers)

Preface:
Coming from the wizard world, where all builds are pretty much set in stone in terms of efficiency, I am finding that the WD is great fun because almost all of the skills and passives are viable. My goal is, therefore, to test the viability of builds for high MP key farming and Uber runs that are NOT cookie cutter, e.g C4 zombie dogs, pets, some sort of bears. Under this premise I give you my first attempt at my "Ghost Assassin Build".

Farming/ Key farming MP5+:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#geUdZi!XWf!ZbZYYZ

<EDIT 12/13/31>
New Farming/ Key farming MP5+
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#geUdZi!cWf!ZbZYYZ

Group Uber runs:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#geUZjQ!XWf!ZZZZYb

<EDIT 12/13/31>
Group Uber runs:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#geUZjQ!cWf!ZZZZYb

Basic Ideas
1. Utilize Rush of Essence (RoE) to its fullest
2. Have enough mana regen from RoE and gear to be able to utilize Pierce the Veil (PtV)
3. Provide good crowd control for elites and ubers along with group buffs.
4. Good sustained dps (though probably less than Bears), for both AOE and single target

Basic skill progression (against elites):
Notes: should already have 4-5 stack soul harvest
1. Use Desperate Grasp (DG)
2. Cast haunt on all targets (either three blues or one yellow)
3. Launch well of souls (WoS)
4. If needed, use Sprirt Walk to reposition/ get mana
5. GoTo 1

Notes:
- My gear is currently sub par, some skills (Runes) are subject to change depending on gear quality.
<EDIT 12/13/31>
The point below is wrong. Need a new way to poc BM
- Since WoS and DG are physical, they proc poison damage from Zuni boots, which sets up Bad Medicine.
- In a solo situation Bad Medicine can switched out for jungle fortitude.

I have used this build with relative success, and would love community feedback; Ghost Assassin is still in its infancy and could use some tweaking/testing. If I get enough community feedback and the build survives the testing phase, then I will write a full, comprehensive guide. Also, feel free to troll/flame me because that equates to a free bump.
Edited by EigenVector#1828 on 12/13/2012 12:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
first....
Reply Quote
no way you can spam SB with only RoE AND still use PtV.

at some point this will dawn on you. while it can be mitigated by haunt spam, you will be running oom on solo enemies far too often.

now, that being said, the reason you havent noticed it yet is cause you are in MP5, not 8-10 where fights last much longer and this problem becomes more evident.

if you want to truely be able to spam it, drop bad medicine for blood ritual.
Reply Quote
Hello and welcome to the WD community!

First off I would like to praise you for finding your own play style and going through the trouble of testing it out.

While I myself have tested WoS on MP7+ elites and ubers, with success, unfortunately I just can't seem to over look the casting animation of WoS and how it doesn't out perform or even perform as well as bears do.

But I definitely learned something today, didn't know WoS and DG procs bad medicine with the %psn dmg from zuni boots.
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 01:41 PMPosted by Recount
But I definitely learned something today, didn't know WoS and DG procs bad medicine with the %psn dmg from zuni boots.

um...

yeah im pretty sure even a physical spell with %dmg overrides wont work..,

the ONLY spell i know for a fact (in the entire gm) you can make something like that happen with is Spectral Blade, which adds no dmg type whatsoever.

so i dont know what ur smoking... but i want some!

cause that would be cool otherwise, but no, i think that is completely false info.

ps - what the heck is DG again?
Reply Quote
lastly, otherwise garg would ALWAYS proc BM, even without poison rune...

which would be incredibly broken now, wouldnt it?
Reply Quote
Hello and welcome to the WD community!

First off I would like to praise you for finding your own play style and going through the trouble of testing it out.

While I myself have tested WoS on MP7+ elites and ubers, with success, unfortunately I just can't seem to over look the casting animation of WoS and how it doesn't out perform or even perform as well as bears do.

I beleive, especially with +spr barrage dmg gear that WoS is as effective as bears in alot of situations in high MP. I run a bears/barrage build that utilizes both depending on the situation. The main bolt hits for similar numbers as a bear does, and you get 3 more smaller hits that added together equate a second bear hit. Thats with only 1 SB + mods on gear. Also SB allows the use of IAS effectively without running you OOM (because of RoE).

Don't get me wrong I still think bears are the most effective dps skill we have, but I do believe SB is closer than you would think if geared for correctly. (AOE aspect of bears trumps all for white mobs though)
Reply Quote
Don't get me wrong I still think bears are the most effective dps skill we have, but I do believe SB is closer than you would think if geared for correctly. (AOE aspect of bears trumps all for white mobs though)

this is 100% correct and why you *should* use Cloud of Bats with SB for better mana consumption.

i think if you think about it hard...

AC + SB + BATS > Bears + anything

imvho

no matter what, you can combo AC with SB or CoB at the same time, and SB and CoB can kill anything in the game, they are THAT versitile of skills.
Edited by SayGa#1564 on 12/12/2012 2:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 01:35 PMPosted by SayGa
no way you can spam SB with only RoE AND still use PtV.

You dont really spam it, if you did you would definitely run our of mana. The key is to keep applying haunts every five seconds and replacing GotD evey six sec. These two-five cast turns along with spirit walk, coupled with a small amount of kiting, means your mana gets low, but you never really run out.

I tried running this with another passive instead of PtV, spiritual attunement for example, and I found that my mana didnt even move, which I believe is the sign of a sub par build. With PtV I would get low on mana, and occasionally OOM, but since the damage was higher (put me in the 120K range) I never had mana issues.

You are correct in your assessment that I have not tried this on MP8+, since my gear is definitely not good enough for that yet, but I do feel that with proper gearing this will still work, and in fact, with enough intrinsic dps PtV will not be necessary.

12/12/2012 01:41 PMPosted by Recount

True, as I stated in the premise. Nothing out DPS's bears, BUT WD's have the glorious downfall of having too many viable skills, and coming from the world of cookie cutter CM/WW wizard and WW Barb, I want to explore all facets of this class (since you actually can).

um...

yeah im pretty sure even a physical spell with %dmg overrides wont work..,

the ONLY spell i know for a fact (in the entire gm) you can make something like that happen with is Spectral Blade, which adds no dmg type whatsoever.

I will have to test this because my knowledge of this is based off of spectral blades, which despite not saying in the tool tip is physical (I think, but I could be dead wrong).

I was under the impression, that x% damage as <blank> applies that damage type to the black damage of your weapon, which is then applied to the skill as the damage type of the skill. UNLESS the damage type is physical, which gets overridden by other elemental damage. Again, I not at all positive on this and I will test it for myself asap. If it is not the case then you can by all means switch out Bad Medicine.

12/12/2012 02:04 PMPosted by SayGa
ps - what the heck is DG again?

Sorry DG = desperate grasp, which is the rune for grasp of the dead (GotD).
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 02:28 PMPosted by EigenVector
UNLESS the damage type is physical, which gets overridden by other elemental damage.

this is incorrect.

it doesnt overide physical.

Spectral blades have NO dmg type, for instance

"deals 500% dmg AS physical

for spectral, there is no 'AS'

therefore if you stack cold dmg, you can proc cold blooded to do 20% more dmg with spectral blade.

this is the ONLY combo in the game as far as i know which does this.

and of COURSE it is for a wizard...
Reply Quote

imvho

no matter what, you can combo AC with SB or CoB at the same time, and SB and CoB can kill anything in the game, they are THAT versitile of skills.

Hmmm interesting concept. Might have to play with that a bit. It also opens up the option to use LoH again as a primary healing source in high MP. Toss in LS for good measure maybe? I played with that a while ago as my secondary dmg source but haven't tried it on high MP.

Lots of builds out there still imo.
Reply Quote
this is the ONLY combo in the game as far as i know which does this.

and of COURSE it is for a wizard...

After further investigation, you are correct in that WoS will NOT proc BM, BUT spectral blades is not the only weapon damage type skill in the game. For example, barb weapon throw is weapon damage type, which means with a black weapon it will proc slow from cold stone of jordon. Also, elemental arrow (which is fire damage with no rune) with the nether tentacles rune is weapon damage type.

Yet adding another layer of confusion to the game mechanics, thanks again Blizzard.
Reply Quote
View profile
It has been tested several times that WDs have no skills that can proc cold damage. Only a WD follower can proc cold damage.

And as far as procing poison on physical skills goes, I think that doesn't happen either.

Poison skills deal poison damage. Black weapons deal increased black damage from cold and poison.

Bad medicine works based on WD poison skills and pet poison skills only.
Reply Quote
There are a few problems with this build that I can see.

First, it takes far too long to clear white mobs. Even if your plan is to bee-line it to the elites, you're still going to have to deal with the groups of mobs that follow you to the elites, and thsi build has no way of effectively dealing with large groups of mobs.

Second, as noted by a few people in this thread, the damage output doesn't compare to a ZB build.
Reply Quote

imvho

Hmmm interesting concept. Might have to play with that a bit. It also opens up the option to use LoH again as a primary healing source in high MP. Toss in LS for good measure maybe? I played with that a while ago as my secondary dmg source but haven't tried it on high MP.

Lots of builds out there still imo.

I wouldn't bother. CoB looks good on paper, but the range is way too small to be viable. Perhaps if you have enough EHP that you can stand in anything it would be a usable skill, but otherwise the uptime of its damage compared to ZB isn't even close.
Reply Quote
First, it takes far too long to clear white mobs. Even if your plan is to bee-line it to the elites, you're still going to have to deal with the groups of mobs that follow you to the elites, and thsi build has no way of effectively dealing with large groups of mobs.

I think you (and most people) are dramatically underestimating the AOE damage output of GotD. With the Desperate Grasp rune, you can have two out at the same time. Combining GotD with the damage from lingering spirit, you can actually clear white pack surprisingly fast.

Does anyone know if GotD stacks with itself? I am assuming in doesnt, but I need to test this more.
Reply Quote
View profile
Ah I wasn't familiar with the desperate grasp rune. So you are going for reduced cool down.

I don't see any purpose in stacking GoTD.

GoTD doesn't do damage any faster than Acid Cloud. Acid Cloud has no cool down. Plus Acid Cloud would work with Bad Medicine which none of your other skills currently do.

Maybe on low MP you are making some of this work, but your build needs a lot of work before it can work efficiently even at mid MP.
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 12/13/2012 10:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
Blah, my profile is still showing my Fetish/Firebats build, but I am pretty much a Full-Time, Devoted WoS user.

But this is what I use for non-Uber: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#hgYdTU!cfa!ZZcYca

I don't have great +mana regen so I use Devouring. If you have good mana regen, take Devouring out for better aoe like Acid Cloud.

For Uber, it depends. I'll change out Devouring Swarm for Draining Spirit for sure. I'll take Hex and change out Soul Harvest and maybe even take Dog out for Voodoo, depending on the team.
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 06:35 AMPosted by skywalkerfx
GoTD doesn't do damage any faster than Acid Cloud. Acid Cloud has no cool down. Plus Acid Cloud would work with Bad Medicine which none of your other skills currently do.

As I said in my original premise, I fully understand that there are certain WD skills that overshadow everything else, e.g. Bears and Acid Cloud. Bear are great and probably will continue to be great for a long time. As for AC, you do realize it has one of the highest proc coefficients in the game. My guess is there is a nerf incoming, and I am currently trying to explore different builds that do not include cloud. As for the damage of GotD vs AC. The initial damage from AC is what makes it much better that GotD. The dot damage for both is quite comparable.

12/13/2012 06:35 AMPosted by skywalkerfx
Maybe on low MP you are making some of this work, but your build needs a lot of work before it can work efficiently even at mid MP.

I have used this build in a group setting for both mp7 key farming and MP7 ubers. However, I do agree this build needs work, and I really appreciate all the feedback. Please remember my original premise, though:

I do not want to use:
1. AC
2. Bears
3. Garg
4. Dogs

Yes, this might put me at a disadvantage, but my hypothesis is that the WD is the only class that has MANY viable builds.
Reply Quote

I do not want to use:
1. AC
2. Bears
3. Garg
4. Dogs

Yes, this might put me at a disadvantage, but my hypothesis is that the WD is the only class that has MANY viable builds.

For non-Uber, I would suggest Devouring Swarm over Draining Spirit. Swarm is not popular at all so you'll feel different! WoS' biggest problem is aoe damage and Swarm can give you some. I used to use Grasp too. If you want more damage from Grasp, use the last rune Rain of Corpse because it drops 4 aoe corpse that follows you over 8s. Monsters that run out of snare may still get hit some.

For Uber, use Draining Spirit.
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 12/13/2012 12:15 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]