Diablo® III

SSDPsrv.exe Service / Seclogon eating 40% CPU

I have started playing Hardcore, and so i have decided to eliminate as much lag as possible.

Since quite a few battle.net updates ago my Diablo 3 has been lagging more then usual, but i haven't given it much thought until now.

When i loaded up my resource monitor to see what was causing the lag, i noticed that my services were using up almost as much CPU as d3 was, specifically the SSDP Discovery service. I did some googling, and after deciding i did not need this service, i disabled it and restarted my computer.

After starting d3, a new service started using the exact same amount of resources, named Seclogon or Secondary Logon service. After disabling this one too, i got stuck at "Updating Blizzard Update Agent" when attempting to start D3. I found users having similar problems on the forums, so i followed the instructions, and checked that my Agent and CLient versions were current; they were. I deleted the battle.net folder from my prgmdata folder, and after the launcher replaced the folder, it got hung up on the same "Updating Blizzard Update Agent" message again.

So i re-enabled seclogon and restarted again. D3 launched just fine this time, but i am still looking at 40% of my CPU going to this service every time i tab into Diablo. It only uses 10% or so if i am tabed out of D3, or if i am logged out of Bnet. When D3 is not running, these processes use nothing.

Is this normal? I am using an AMD dualcore CPU, a gigabyte mobo, and a Nvidia 260ish GPU. I would be more then happy to give you any other information, please ask for what you need!
Edited by Cynic#1846 on 12/12/2012 1:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
Anyone? :(
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Cynic ,

Windows' Secondary Logon Service is required for Diablo III to run but it shouldn't be taking any resources to do so. On my machine, just now, I checked and it's using 0 CPU resources while in the game.

I'd suspect malware or a third party app you're using in the background perhaps is causing what you're seeing.

Try booting in selective startup once and see if it happens again.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/backgroundapps

Use Malwarebytes to scan for possible malware too. The trial version is fine for that. Be sure to update it after installing and run a Full scan, not the short one.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Reply Quote
thank you, it turned out to be malware :( damn "Funmods" ! i remember uninstalling that browser toolbar, shoulda known it was malware!
Reply Quote
PS: i died at lvl 60 :( need more allres
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]