Diablo® III

Changing your DNS to fix error 3007

MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
http://www.opendns.com/opendns-ip-addresses

Sorry Narull but I will never ever use the Google DNS. I just do not feel safe doing so.

*shrug*

I've found my DNS queries don't resolve as fast on open DNS as opposed to this resolve order :

modem/router DNS cache (11ms) -> ISP DNS (12 ms) -> Google Open DNS (22ms)

Open DNS was giving me resolves of 143 ms O_O
Reply Quote
Will we have to download something to fix it later on or will it just start working again. I share the house with my family so I'm skeptical to screw around with the internet settings as many people use it in this house too.
Reply Quote
Narull: Thanks for the tips, it works perfectly.

For everyone to know it does work and if you follow Narull instruction is very simple.

Thanks once again Narull
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Narull , can u help me with something?
Was reading that if u change your dns away from your providers to an open dns, like google, your provider can charge u 4 your downloads (and uploads) because u are not useing there dns?even if u are on an unlimited plan?
is this true?
ps just 4 non US providers
Edited by happyvejae#1639 on 12/12/2012 2:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks Nurull
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
12/12/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Vejae
Was reading that if u change your dns away from your providers to an open dns, like google, your provider can charge u 4 your downloads (and uploads) because u are not useing there dns?even if u are on an unlimited plan?

That would depend entirely on the policies of your ISP and terms & conditions of your connection with them.

Check that in detail with them and if that really is true (how draconian!) try just a DNS cache flush :

* Turn off computer
* Turn off Modem Router
* Turn each back on and start up
* Follow the instructions for your OS here : http://www.whatsmydns.net/flush-dns.html

But if that's true by them then it's stupid. Speaking with some of my friends who work for ISPs it's actually easy to limit things on an account by IP address rather then the DNS being used. I can't even see a way they can even see which DNS server your using from their remote end except if you're hiring a modem/router off them. But that would only cover the modem/router DNS cache not any settings you put on your computer.

But do double check with them first.
Reply Quote
Nurull, Props to you. I saw you chasing up answers on the WP node forums :) You are deserving of your MVP status.

Vejae,
I'm not aware of anything like that for Aus ISP's.
All DNS does is change a website name (like www.google.com) that humans understand into an IP address (174.125.237.49) that computers, and some humans ;), understand. Like a phonebook - names to numbers.

It is very important to use a trusted DNS provider (the mentioned ones - opendns/google are ok) to prevent being sent to malicious websites.

Narull - Just rolled a HC Challenge character ... see you on the dark side
Edited by Boomstik#6589 on 12/12/2012 8:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
In other breaking news, man gets charged $100k dollars for playing D3 using this method.. haha sounds like roaming on a mobile phone gone wrong :(

Thanks but no thanks.

If you dont know then why take the risk I get its all in best intentions but if even 1 person gets burnt from this.

/shrug

P.s. Wonder how long it will be before Blizzard does a patch and blames the players for how bad it is? Seems like we are headed in that direction.
Reply Quote
Your ISPs DNS server CAN NOT be updated by blizzard, however it does auto update itself so the issue will fix itself in time.

Does anyone know how frequently ISP's generally update their DNS? As in if I choose to wait will it be for a few more days? weeks?

Thanks
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 11:05 PMPosted by Chilli76
Your ISPs DNS server CAN NOT be updated by blizzard, however it does auto update itself so the issue will fix itself in time.

Does anyone know how frequently ISP's generally update their DNS? As in if I choose to wait will it be for a few more days? weeks?

Thanks

every week
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
12/12/2012 08:35 PMPosted by Palwiful
In other breaking news, man gets charged $100k dollars for playing D3 using this method.. haha sounds like roaming on a mobile phone gone wrong :(

Shouldn't need to leave it on the google open DNS.

Only need to change to it then change back.
Reply Quote
Wow thanks so much man. This fixed the issue for me :) I owe you a bunch. :D
Reply Quote
"I've contacted Blizzard CS via phone (and spoke to a very nice and understanding CS Rep) and tried deleting the Battle.Net folder as she suggested, and still no luck unfortunately."

spent a LONG time looking for someone to talk to . WHAT IS the phone number for help ?
What are we supposed to do ?
Out of my depth with Narul's programming instructions. (not proud ,just dumb )
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
MpimbwePete: It is being looked into by blizzard to find a fix quicker. Currently calling prob won't help as all blizz tech support may not know of the issue(is a sticky on the tech support forums, but still).

The easiest fix is the DNS change one, if there is anything I can do to help you through the process just ask, even if a skype call or something would help. Otherwise it's kinda a wait it out thing as we wait for a DNS refresh and/or blizzard to findout and fix the issue.
There not spelling mistakes, Im speaking 'Ye Old English'
Reply Quote
go to control panel click network connections right click your local area connection click properties select internet protocol then click properties go to use dns server (preferred) and enter the numbers 8.8.8.8 and vola should work then :)

Doesnt work for me. Tried that crap out all day long.

Getting tired of blizzards crap.
Reply Quote
Firstly, Narull Thank-you

I am not a computer savvy person but I have learnt quite a lot about IP forwarding/trigger and DNS through out this whole experience.

I recently bought a new router just after patch day and thought the 3007 issue was a problem with the new router. So I read up about how to do IP forwarding/triggering.
I was still getting 3007
By this point i was ready to pack up the router and go get another brand cos i read netgear was bad with blizzard games from my hours of reading about routers and stuff.

On a whim I came to the blizzard tech support to see if I could get any help from blizzard and found out that the 3007 issues was nation wide. (this cheered me up a bit)

I came across Narull post about DNS. The wall of post on how to change the DNS confused the !@#$ out of me. But watching the video made me realize how simple it is.

I was able log into diablo 3, but it was very laggy and i wasn't able to really "play"
Can anyone tell me why that is??

But I read this post and as stated I'll just wait it out and let the problem fix itself.
But I am happy that my router is working and I have a better understanding of Ips and DNS

Some people just needs to chillax a bit and realize its not the end of the world they cant play their favorite game.

TLDR - I dont care
Edited by G3CKO#1607 on 12/13/2012 5:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
I came across Narull post about DNS. The wall of post on how to change the DNS confused the !@#$ out of me. But watching the video made me realize how simple it is.

Essentially what's happening is a server that's involved in the login process isn't connecting correctly for some people. Which is odd as it's the same server me here in NZ is connecting to anyway.

The reason why switching the DNS works as when you switch to the Google DNS server they favour a server based in the US.

I was able log into diablo 3, but it was very laggy and i wasn't able to really "play"
Can anyone tell me why that is??

I'm beginning to suspect that the server having the issue us.depot.battle.net is a server Blizzard uses to help with latency. Like there's some data that can be calculated safely and securely on a local server without necessarily having to have a complete data center down here.

When you play D3 some of that data is being sent back and forth from a local server. Based in Sydney apparently. The data doesn't have to hop over the ocean so the latency's better.

Now when you switch to Google Open DNS that us.depot.battle.net now resolves to a server in the USA. Now that data has to hop over the ocean where it didn't before.

Now here's the odd part - change back to automatic and that us.depot.battle.net server based in Sydney .... you can suddenly connect back to O_o (makes no sense to me)
Edited by Bluespacecow#1139 on 12/13/2012 8:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
Which is odd as it's the same server me here in NZ is connecting to anyway.

Now here's the odd part - change back to automatic and that us.depot.battle.net server based in Sydney .... you can suddenly connect back to O_o (makes no sense to me)

Pretty spot on. I made a wee post in the other thread (for closure haha) which may (or may not) give guidance for the first part.

The game might cache the DNS (when it connects successfully). If it's not connecting, it looks it up again...it does store login related files on your system.
Reply Quote
I refuse to augment my ISP connection in any way shape or form. It's been 3 days now since this has occurred and im finding im at my wits end whether to keep interested or not in the game. Good thing i have Skyrim as a backup, friends are probably wondering if i've quit D3 or not.

All too depressing :(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]