Diablo® III

[Video] Tempest Rush Monk - 100M exp/hr

12/13/2012 03:46 PMPosted by Ace
This WILL be nerfed thanks to you

glad I can have such an effect on such a huge company. maybe they will consult me for design ideas

</sarcasm>

this build was always around, and if they didn't see it from me they would have seen it from someone else. TR soj's jumped in price ages before I did anything. This build is awesome and people know. if anyone at blizzard plays this game, then they know too.

every class can do this (except wiz, have yet to see any evidence of a wiz doing it, plz step up wizards!)
Reply Quote
Really great video though
This is how all characters should be able to function in diablo 3

It is a shame the devs kill their own game by making characters so underwhelming by nerfing skills to the point of uselessness
Reply Quote
I use strafe, everything dies with this dps at mp0
Reply Quote
FAQ:

cyclones the best cuz it kills stragglers,
the first 2 zones of alk run have too low exp,
dashing strike gives tons of movespeed so i am not taking it off,
thunderclap is necessary for elites

Actually, Blade Storm is superior to Cyclone. I was working on it last night, and realized that the attack speed for the TR build is so low compared to a regular dual wield build where tornadoes spawn more regularly.

Dashing Strike is not really needed but it's more of a preference if that is what you like. I prefer that slot be taken up by Seven Sided Strike / Sudden Assault or Fulminating Onslaught which 1-shots elites. With my 86k DPS, SSS does 430-500,000 per hit using MoH and no SOJ and 600-700k per hit with MoC and SOJ
I can guarantee you're missing legendaries this way
You must be deaf and blind or something because I use TR to farm for Leorics Signets and I got two today rofl! Had no problem seeing or hearing the ping
12/13/2012 03:46 PMPosted by Ace
This WILL be nerfed thanks to you
So why wasn't it nerfed thanks to me because I posted various videos of this since all the way back on PTR when I was sure that they have seen my DH videos?
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 12/13/2012 3:59 PM PST
Reply Quote

This is how all characters should be able to function in diablo 3

DH uses strafe build
Barb uses WW sprint ground stomp with no wotb
wd uses all horrify - spirit walk - grave injustice - spirit vessel
monk uses TR

wiz uses - ???? teleport with wormhole and CM with blizzard i would imagine, but iunno
Edited by Seaboots#2209 on 12/13/2012 4:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
I added you btw
Reply Quote
My comment was just a joke based on how things always go regarding OP builds. Pretty obvious. How can anyone take that seriously
Reply Quote
Actually, Blade Storm is superior to Cyclone. I was working on it last night, and realized that the attack speed for the TR build is so low compared to a regular dual wield build where tornadoes spawn more regularly.

This debate shall rage until the end of time. I too was once on the side of firestorm. You just have to get 54% crit chance on your TR to really feel the power. The first time I played the cyclone build with this gear I could feel the power. You dont see it in the video as much as you feel it when you actually play.

You still have SW with cyclone, its almost as effective as blade storm or fire storm. With my huge movespeed, relying on SW for damage is stupid anyways as mobs spend next to no time next to me. Best to leave a fat cyclone to kill them as I dash off to the next pack.

If "feeling the power" doesn't work for you, just log your exp with cyclone and fire storm and see which is better. Once your crit chance gets past a certain point, cyclone will beat firestorm every time without fail, because you just let your cyclones kill everything as you run away. no zig zagging.

I don't see bladestorm ever beating anything, except maybe inner storm. It does like 20% more dps than the SW from cyclone, that just doesnt compare to even one or 2 cyclones with huge aoe flying around the map doing damage for you as you run away

Seven Sided Strike / Sudden Assault or Fulminating Onslaught which 1-shots elites.

does it seriously look like I could shave off any amount of time by one punching every second group of elites? you have to consider the movespeed I would be losing by dropping DS. No way is that worth it. maybe 3 of the fights would have been 2 seconds shorter with perfect SSS. But guess what, I probably already would have used SSS before the optimal moment then not even have had it during the 3 fights it actually would have helped!
Reply Quote
Whats your movement speed in that vid?
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 04:02 PMPosted by Pariah

34% up to 59% for 3 seconds after using dashing strike. plus TR adds 10% but the stat sheet doesn't say it, plus the tailwind rune for 25% which it doesnt say.
Edited by Seaboots#2209 on 12/13/2012 4:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 03:57 PMPosted by Ace
My comment was just a joke based on how things always go regarding OP builds. Pretty obvious. How can anyone take that seriously

I took it seriously because you didnt use </sarcasm>

no one can tell that you aren't one of the less friendly people around here
Reply Quote
Very cool stuff :) might try it out already kinda bored of ww barb
Reply Quote

34% up to 59% for 3 seconds after using dashing strike. plus TR adds 10% but it doesn't say

Does the 25% increased MS of TR only amount to 10% extra overall? If you are permanently holding down TR?

PS - this build is hilarious with a fleeting shrine.
Edited by Cayzer#6828 on 12/13/2012 4:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
Have you considered using "Implosion"? I think it's amazing for cleaning up scraps. Try a run or two with it.
Reply Quote

34% up to 59% for 3 seconds after using dashing strike. plus TR adds 10% but it doesn't say

Does the 25% increased MS of TR only amount to 10% extra overall? If you are permanently holding down TR?

I forgot the 25% from tailwind, added it to the post

Total of 94% for 3 seconds after dashing strike
Edited by Seaboots#2209 on 12/13/2012 4:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
This debate shall rage until the end of time. I too was once on the side of firestorm. You just have to get 54% crit chance on your TR to really feel the power.
No no, I'm not talking about Fire Storm (Radius increase), I'm talking about the DAMAGE increase. BLADE Storm, not Fire Storm.

The damage increase is superior to Cyclone because Cyclone's tornadoes are not spawning fast enough like in a dual wield build. Also, you are moving too fast for the tornadoes to stack up like it does when you are stationary using FoT:TC.

I have 44% Crit on mine and Cyclone spawns decently on dual-wield and it works well enough when using FoT but I feel it's wasted in a TR build.
With my huge movespeed, relying on SW for damage is stupid anyways as mobs spend next to no time next to me. Best to leave a fat cyclone to kill them as I dash off to the next pack.
That's incorrect bro. With Tempest Rush builds, most of the time, mobs are caught up in SW rather than TR so you want SW to do more damage. Before last night, I thought the same as you, but I took a closer look and it's SW that does the damage because TR itself has a very short range radius.

Relying on SW damage is not stupid. It does more damage than TR and can be stacked 4 times (12% each) on Helm, Mara's, Skull Grasp and SOJ. You have to optimize SW damage to insta-kill trash and SSS takes care of elites. OR, if you prefer, you can use Wave of Light/Explosive Light to insta-kill elites like the Germans do, but that method requires more DPS.

There is also another way that I found to insta-kill trash and that is using Exploding Palm/Essence Burn. You're slower on elite encounters than SSS but clear trash more effectively and looks more fantastic to boot.
you have to consider the movespeed I would be losing by dropping DS.

Looked to me that you lost speed using DS because you have to stop to target a mob, wait for animation and then go. I would have just kept going.
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 04:15 PMPosted by speedforce
This debate shall rage until the end of time. I too was once on the side of firestorm. You just have to get 54% crit chance on your TR to really feel the power.
No no, I'm not talking about Fire Storm (Radius increase), I'm talking about the DAMAGE increase. BLADE Storm, not Fire Storm.

The damage increase is superior to Cyclone because Cyclone's tornadoes are not spawning fast enough like in a dual wield build. Also, you are moving too fast for the tornadoes to stack up like it does when you are stationary using FoT:TC.

I have 44% Crit on mine and Cyclone spawns decently on dual-wield and it works well enough when using FoT but I feel it's wasted in a TR build.
With my huge movespeed, relying on SW for damage is stupid anyways as mobs spend next to no time next to me. Best to leave a fat cyclone to kill them as I dash off to the next pack.
That's incorrect bro. With Tempest Rush builds, most of the time, mobs are caught up in SW rather than TR so you want SW to do more damage. Before last night, I thought the same as you, but I took a closer look and it's SW that does the damage because TR itself has a very short range radius.

Relying on SW damage is not stupid. It does more damage than TR and can be stacked 4 times (12% each) on Helm, Mara's, Skull Grasp and SOJ. You have to optimize SW damage to insta-kill trash and SSS takes care of elites. OR, if you prefer, you can use Wave of Light/Explosive Light to insta-kill elites like the Germans do, but that method requires more DPS.

There is also another way that I found to insta-kill trash and that is using Exploding Palm/Essence Burn. You're slower on elite encounters than SSS but clear trash more effectively and looks more fantastic to boot.
you have to consider the movespeed I would be losing by dropping DS.

Looked to me that you lost speed using DS because you have to stop to target a mob, wait for animation and then go. I would have just kept going.

have you ever measured your exp/hr with these different builds? I'm curious what you get. Every time myself (or anyone else I have spoken to) has used cyclone we have gotten superior exp/hr to both firestorm and bladestorm (with bladestorm being worse than firestorm) and I even had an awesome SW soj. Druin has written a lot about it on the monk forums, and between a lot of independent testing from the both of us cyclone appears superior.

It kills so many mobs for you when you are already 3 screen away
Edited by Seaboots#2209 on 12/13/2012 4:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
I guess the only reasonable thing to do now is nerf Street Fighter music.
Reply Quote

I forgot the 25% from tailwind, added it to the post

Total of 94% for 3 seconds after dashing strike

This lines up more with my numbers.

It's insanity - the funnest way to play the game.
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 04:11 PMPosted by Bottle
Have you considered using "Implosion"? I think it's amazing for cleaning up scraps. Try a run or two with it.

I use it in my team farming build, and I have tested it in place of DS, it is not as good for this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]