Diablo® III

[Video] Tempest Rush Monk - 100M exp/hr

I don't measure XP/hr because those tests can vary wildly based on various factors such as mob placement, zone, elites, etc. The zone is the most important one, for example, Keep Depths lv2, because of how that place is setup, you're going to have to backtrack to get more mobs and you can't reliably track XP/hr there as the zone changes on restart compared to Skycrown Battlements/Stonefort or Bridge of Koriskk/Rakkis Crossing which stays the same.

I have my own efficient set of zones I run through so I'll try measuring XP/hr using those routes but bear in mind I only use those routes b/c of the layout of the zones.

Btw, if you make a video using those songs again, might I recommend these (they're actually my ringtones lol)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVrHF5duUGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqrN6vOq0g0
Reply Quote
Hey OP. Where did you get all your perfect gear. Drops, GAH, or RMAH? Did you just dual wield credit cards and then get to that many elite kills, or did you slowly build it up with self found gear and trading on the auction houses? I'm not trying to be judgmental or anything, I'm just simply curious.
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 04:37 PMPosted by Fantomex
Hey OP. Where did you get all your perfect gear. Drops, GAH, or RMAH? Did you just dual wield credit cards and then get to that many elite kills, or did you slowly build it up with self found gear and trading on the auction houses? I'm not trying to be judgmental or anything, I'm just simply curious.

mostly from a godly vile ward drop that I sold for 500M. I had a barb I sold for around 100M after he got nerfed, and a few other decent legendaries for around 40M.
Reply Quote
I don't measure XP/hr because those tests can vary wildly based on various factors such as mob placement, zone, elites, etc. The zone is the most important one, for example, Keep Depths lv2, because of how that place is setup, you're going to have to backtrack to get more mobs and you can't reliably track XP/hr there as the zone changes on restart compared to Skycrown Battlements/Stonefort or Bridge of Koriskk/Rakkis Crossing which stays the same.

I have my own efficient set of zones I run through so I'll try measuring XP/hr using those routes but bear in mind I only use those routes b/c of the layout of the zones.

Btw, if you make a video using those songs again, might I recommend these (they're actually my ringtones lol)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVrHF5duUGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqrN6vOq0g0

I wont reuse the same songs. I used megaman in my last video. I also prefer the original console versions as they make me laugh and feel all nostalgic
Reply Quote
i did a variation of inner storm to spam empowered wave for higher mp's

am i doing it wrong though?, was the best time for me to use wave of light :D

TR monk + empowered shrine + empowered wave is what I envisioned a diablo game to be
Reply Quote
i did a variation of inner storm to spam empowered wave for higher mp's

am i doing it wrong though?, was the best time for me to use wave of light :D

TR monk + empowered shrine + empowered wave is what I envisioned a diablo game to be

certainly a viable build. stick to mp1, and only bell the biggest packs. if you track your exp/hr you can get an idea of what to bell and what not to bell. I like my build more, i think it's more fun, but I have tried yours
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 04:43 PMPosted by Seaboots

mostly from a godly vile ward drop that I sold for 500M. I had a barb I sold for around 100M after he got nerfed, and a few other decent legendaries for around 40M.

Nice! Good to know hard work, a little luck, and some smart trading can get you to the top!
Congrats! Also, that build is crazy awesome.
Reply Quote
Results of my tests.

Area: Skycrown Battlements
NV: 5
MP: No Monster Power
Exp boosts: None, except for 5 Stack

Cyclone:
Exp/hr: 30,933,450
Time: 3:54

Blade Storm:
Exp/Hr: 32,013,380
Time: 3:34

As expected, trash mobs went down quicker with Blade Storm. SSS instant kill elites (most of the time anyways, elites that i got by themselves and/or cleared all trash first).

On Cyclone, it helped a lot on situations where there was too many mobs to clear when surrounding an elite pack. Cyclone was too inconsistent with tornadoes while moving with TR but excellent when you had to stop to punch elites (or in my case, finish them off after SSS).

That inconsistency on trash mobs is why Blade Storm produces more XP per hour. It's more powerful when you take into consideration that you are not going after elites, but after trash mobs, and you need to kill them as fast as possible. What makes Blade Storm competitive with Cyclone is that the weapon damage % on Blade Storm is higher (and stacks up to 3) and that DPS stays consistent 100% of the time.

My point with Cyclone was that because your attack speed is so slow with a 2H, even at a high crit rate, you can't spawn enough tornadoes for it to be worth it. I optimized the tornadoes by running in a circle but it only works on groups of mobs clustered together, and in certain areas where mobs fight farther apart, your effectiveness drops b/c the tornadoes are too far apart and going in random directions. On a dual wield build, it's excellent because the tornadoes stay relatively close together so they are stacking up a ton of damage.

Going forward, I'm hoping to optimize Sweeping Wind damage so I can down trash mobs even quicker. The gear to do it is expensive and extremely rare, but that is my dream build at the moment.
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 12/13/2012 6:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
Results of my tests.

Area: Skycrown Battlements
NV: 5
MP: No Monster Power
Exp boosts: None, except for 5 Stack

Cyclone:
Exp/hr: 30,933,450
Time: 3:54

Blade Storm:
Exp/Hr: 32,013,380
Time: 3:34

As expected, trash mobs went down quicker with Blade Storm. SSS instant kill elites (most of the time anyways, elites that i got by themselves and/or cleared all trash first).

On Cyclone, it helped a lot on situations where there was too many mobs to clear when surrounding an elite pack. Cyclone was too inconsistent with tornadoes while moving with TR but excellent when you had to stop to punch elites (or in my case, finish them off after SSS).

That inconsistency on trash mobs is why Blade Storm produces more XP per hour. It's more powerful when you take into consideration that you are not going after elites, but after trash mobs, and you need to kill them as fast as possible. What makes Blade Storm competitive with Cyclone is that the weapon damage % on Blade Storm is higher (and stacks up to 3) and that DPS stays consistent 100% of the time.

My point with Cyclone was that because your attack speed is so slow with a 2H, even at a high crit rate, you can't spawn enough tornadoes for it to be worth it. I optimized the tornadoes by running in a circle but it only works on groups of mobs clustered together, and in certain areas where mobs fight farther apart, your effectiveness drops b/c the tornadoes are too far apart and going in random directions. On a dual wield build, it's excellent because the tornadoes stay relatively close together so they are stacking up a ton of damage.

Going forward, I'm hoping to optimize Sweeping Wind damage so I can down trash mobs even quicker. The gear to do it is expensive and extremely rare, but that is my dream build at the moment.

Your results are pretty much consistent with what I have found. You have low crit chance so cyclone is worse than blade storm. Try the same run with fire storm, you should find it superior to blade storm.

Increase your crit chance and get a TR crit soj and you will find that cyclone gives more exp/hr than the alternatives. This makes sense because as you increase crit chance you get more chance at a 2nd cyclone which doubles the effectiveness of the skill. Blade storm can at no point have it's effectiveness doubled
Reply Quote
I've been playing around with my monk to gear him up for this. It's not a cheap setup to run successfully. I'd say at LEAST 80mil gold for the low end of the build.

Had a 100k dps unbuffed build using a Skorn without LS. Died constantly. Is there any way to get the build to work successfully without relying on a LS Skorn?
Reply Quote
You have low crit chance so cyclone is worse than blade storm.
46% is low? I actually do have a SOJ 6 TR Crit so I'll test Cyclone out again. Last week I had a Cold Dmg, 2 Spirit, 30% 6 TR Crit lol but I sold it....... The slot that I'll be replacing for the SOJ already has 4.5 crit, so I'm only gaining 1.5 crit on TR and losing 4.5 crit overall which hurts SSS by a lot
Try the same run with fire storm, you should find it superior to blade storm.

I don't see how that is. Blade Storm does 60% wpn dmg while Fire Storm does 45%. Only thing with Fire Storm is that it's catching more mobs but at the expense of damage.
This makes sense because as you increase crit chance you get more chance at a 2nd cyclone which doubles the effectiveness of the skill.
What I'm saying is that because the attack speed is only 1 per second, you can only spawn 1 tornado per second but I'm sure that the real rate is less than that even at 55% crit. You're still having to deal with inconsistency depending on how mobs are grouped together.

Now on a dual wield build, you're easily attacking for 2 per second, and you're standing at the same spot, so the effectiveness is increases by a lot as you are spawning tornadoes at max rate and they are clumped together.
Reply Quote
I miss when there was a curse called Iron Maiden, would make you think twice about doing something like this.

Oh, back when Blizzard made good games.
Reply Quote
Okay, so I put on the SOJ for the extra 1% crit. I got Cyclone to match Blade Storm but that was only b/c I used the optimization I found earlier (running around in small circles) to sort of focus the tornadoes on a spot. Fire Storm was 15 seconds faster but that was only b/c I skipped some mobs that I normally handled on the other runs.

All in all I suppose it comes down to preference as the difference between them isn't SUPER huge. Blade Storm just flat out hits harder per tick and is more consistent. Cyclone works best against big groups and stationary elite fights and Fire Storm saves time by killing more mobs simultaneously.
Reply Quote
I've been playing around with my monk to gear him up for this. It's not a cheap setup to run successfully. I'd say at LEAST 80mil gold for the low end of the build.

Had a 100k dps unbuffed build using a Skorn without LS. Died constantly. Is there any way to get the build to work successfully without relying on a LS Skorn?

i ran into the same problem initially, had to get a LS dex skorn to set it up to deal with RD elites. I do believe it is the most expensive item to get a TR monk up and running, the SOJ can be cheap if you choose not to go for high % bonus to elites.

at this point in time, the RD elite packs with minions are the ones causing the biggest problems due to the known RD bug issue.

I would say there's no way around it until RD itself is fully addressed and overhauled (which has been repeatedly stated by Lylirra that it will be)

What I did for a temp workaround was to ascension and spam bells 3 times, should be enough to take a few out before you are vulnerable again, though you would have to kite around till the next ascension is ready or look for health globes, hit and run.
Edited by Hak#1935 on 12/13/2012 8:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
I miss when there was a curse called Iron Maiden, would make you think twice about doing something like this.

Oh, back when Blizzard made good games.

you are the first person I have seen praise iron maiden. Most people hated it and were happy when it was removed

Get some pickup radius, maybe some life on kill, and save SSS for reflect damage elites
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 07:05 PMPosted by Morax
Is there any way to get the build to work successfully without relying on a LS Skorn?
First of all, you're using Fleet Footed instead of Seize the Initiative. The idea with Inna's/TR build is that you build a ton of armor through high Dexterity. Second of all, your resist is too low. Inna's pieces don't need resist but on other slots, you need almost max all resist. On main pieces of gear, you need at least 71 and if you can get it on amulet and ring as well, that's good too. You cannot rely on OWE b/c you need those slots for spirit regen. That is why you have to buy the highest single AR you can.

Btw, I don't even use a LS Skorn LOL, I can't afford it (I can, but not while flipping items.) I use a LOH Skorn, couped with a LOH ring and Ouroboros that comes naturally with LOH. Then for some reason I have almost 900 life regen so altogether its a decent amount of life restore per second.
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 12/13/2012 8:30 PM PST
Reply Quote

you are the first person I have seen praise iron maiden. Most people hated it and were happy when it was removed

Iron Maiden is much more decent than what we have now, there's the audio clue, the visual 3 blades spinning on top of your head, you would be much more cautious to avoid killing yourself before engaging and it has a duration to expiry, the only issue with IM was that the % return is out of whack

with RD you just don't know when it appears in a middle of a fight when the elites ninja in and you spam AOE spells and kill yourself immediately, but RD is manageable with a mix of armor/resists and life steal.

a hybrid IM with RD is what this game needs, not the extremes of each.
Edited by Hak#1935 on 12/13/2012 8:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
thanks for sharing the vids seaboots.
I'm sure monks appreciate the validation.

SW: Firestorm, I prefer for the extra 45% weapon dmg.
Edited by Katsukaze#1646 on 12/13/2012 8:54 PM PST
Reply Quote

Does the 25% increased MS of TR only amount to 10% extra overall? If you are permanently holding down TR?

PS - this build is hilarious with a fleeting shrine.

I forgot the 25% from tailwind, added it to the post

Total of 94% for 3 seconds after dashing strike

That's pretty fast, I think Monks are the second fastest character in the game using that build by far in just flat out movement speed.

DH's have the record though especially legacy Nats users, they can keep a perma 115% move speed and if needed spike up to 150% for short periods possibly longer if you can fuel the discipline.

Don't understand why so many DH forget that they can use Shadow Glide instea of Gloom lol

Base 25% move speed + 30% Shadow Glide + 60% Tactical Advantage Vault (preferably tumble for more discipline) all stack for killer 115%! Legacy Nats isn't necessary for that when coupled with Vengenace for the constant discipline but it makes it much easier to run.

Meanwhile if you do have vengeance and legacy Nats you can do the above but also have massive bursts in speed by using Smoke Screen Displacement instead of vaulting while under the effects of Shadow Glide. Displacement gives a further bonus of 35% + the 60% from tactical passive + 25% base move speed + 30% Shadow Glide for a total of 150% move speed. It's retarded fast. An that's not even including a fleeting shrine lol it's to hard to play at that speed.

For those DH out there, give it a try lol it will blow your mind especially the legacy Nats users. Vengeance passive good DPS while using legacy Nats with some pickup radius is a must to fuel the 150% build but it's damn fun, also a good 1hander like a calamity is recommended due to the shorter attack animations when you hit 3.0 attack speed lets you shoot and move very quickly with little to no slow down when properly stutter stepping.
Edited by METATRON#1945 on 12/13/2012 9:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
Even though I wasn't using a monk, an Alkaizer run netted more experience than this run did for me. In which btw, barbs cannot match this. I've tested a thousand different ways and about 10 different ways after seeing this post. With a signet, 2 hf rings and a 31% gem in my helmet, the best exp I got was in MP2 at 84m/ph. With your route, I gained 80m. I also was skipping elites after getting 5 stacks. There are a few reasons for this. You can manage a bigger area than I can, you can run faster and you don't rely on mobs for your spirit as I do for my fury. Even running 300k buffed, I can't keep up. I might be able to using Vanguard Frenzy, but I won't have much in way of a fury generator.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]