Diablo® III

Make sure all items have right type of resist

All monks using OWE(a mandatory passive in itself) need to make sure all your items have either the right type of resistance or all resists. I am an arcane monk so my items have arcane resist and many of them also have all resist! My shield is the lone exception, I decided on a split dex-vit roll instead of arcane resist. Yes, OWE is very likely to be nerfed and I have taken this into account by not spending alot on godly upgrades. He's currently a tank and I have not really upgraded him in a long time.

For those of you wearing rare items, it must have +one resist of your choice. It can also have all resist if your budget allows it, this is known as double dipping. Some of you have items that have all resist, but are missing +one resist. This is a huge waste because +one resist is a very inexpensive stat. It gets trickier with legendary(including set) items because they can usually only roll 1 or 2 randoms. Your best random is usually going to be +one resist. Avoid +all resist as the random if there's only one random to choose from unless you are very rich and you want more than +60 of the correct resist type!

This makes Inna's set a major problem because only one stat can be random. Usually, you will want that random to be +one resist of the same type as it's the cheapest stat. The helm is the lone exception where one random can be +one resist and the other can be an ehp booster such as all resist, percent life, armor or even life regeneration, health globes or gold pickup. Keep in mind that +one resist can be up to 60 and this boosts ehp similar to 150 vitality, but obviously the resist will be far cheaper! You will have to make up the loss of vitality elsewhere for any item that is missing this very important stat.
Reply Quote
Why does everyone think that OWE will be nerfed?

I believe gearing a Monk is the most difficult character to gear in game (I only have a Monk & WD, so I may be incorrect.)

If anything, I'd suspect they would buff OWE to be a class passive, and make the current OWE as we know it become something along the line of "Any resist counts as all resist."

Just my two cents.
Edited by Ian#1879 on 12/12/2012 1:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
As someone who doesn't use the AH, I have never judged the value of my armor by its resistance—I've judged the value of OWE by the gear I'm wearing. Once upon a time, I had three pieces with cold resistance, one with physical, one with arcane, and one with lightning. I used OWE, but I didn't replace the non-cold pieces with cold just for the resistance. If I had done that, I would have gimped myself.

My monk is now wearing a lot of cold-based armor, but that's because I happen to have better (self-found) cold-based armor than any other.
Reply Quote
I love noobs like you who assumes they know everything. Where is your proof that OWE being nerf? Before you start threads like this get some real faq's.
Reply Quote
Hey Vrk, as an auction house shunner, do you keep lots of gear in your stash of different resistances or benefits in case you find a nice item that doesn't work with your current set up. Like having a cold set and a lightning set,etc. It's like having your own private little AH :) Just curious. I was maintaining 2 and a half resistance sets before I gave up on avoiding the AH.
Reply Quote
OP

Stack resists, no kidding. That's not exactly a revelation.
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 12:31 PMPosted by Ace
(a mandatory passive in itself)

It is not mandatory.

12/12/2012 04:43 PMPosted by veightkiller
I love noobs like you who assumes they know everything. Where is your proof that OWE being nerf? Before you start threads like this get some real faq's.

It was mention before 1.05 that Blizz is looking into OWE. They didn't say its a nerf, but definitely changing it in the upcoming patch. They haven't done it because they haven't figure out a way that will not cause a meltdown in the monk community.
Edited by Ashley#6332 on 12/12/2012 10:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 06:01 PMPosted by Demiwraith
Hey Vrk, as an auction house shunner, do you keep lots of gear in your stash of different resistances or benefits in case you find a nice item that doesn't work with your current set up. Like having a cold set and a lightning set,etc. It's like having your own private little AH :) Just curious. I was maintaining 2 and a half resistance sets before I gave up on avoiding the AH.

Yep, that's what I do. Periodically, I clean house, but I'm usually looking for items that are better than what I have in my stash. Criteria vary. For chest pieces and pants, I'm looking for DEX, VIT, and resistances; for gloves, I generally look for trifecta elements; etc. Finding this Vile Ward had the side-effect of allowing me to get rid of every shoulder piece except a relative tame one that I keep for testing without Thorns.

Also, I seem to have more gloves than anything else--a full two rows, plus some extras. Gotta do something about that :)
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Vrkhyz
As someone who doesn't use the AH

So far i have got 3 drops which sold for over 200 mill on the ah. 1 of these drops sold for nearly 400 mill. Probably about another 5 or so items have sold for around 100 mill. These were mainly drops in ver 1.3. Only 2 of these items were usable for me so what would i do if i had your mindset regarding the AH?
A.H. is an integral and necessary part of this game and every time i see a post such as yours i think "this guy is lucky to have completed inferno" but will go no further. IMO it is rare to drop an upgrade so good luck in your D3 progression.

PS What do you do with all the good drops you get that you can't use?
Reply Quote
A.H. is an integral and necessary part of this game and every time i see a post such as yours i think "this guy is lucky to have completed inferno" but will go no further. IMO it is rare to drop an upgrade so good luck in your D3 progression.

PS What do you do with all the good drops you get that you can't use?

I put them up for sale so other players can use them, of course! Anything that doesn't sell gets salvaged, sold to a vendor, given to a follower (Maximus, Stormshield), or put away for a rainy day.

So I still use the AH—I simply don't buy anything from it. I've sold one item for 24M and maybe two others for close to 2M. What do I do with that gold? Nothing. Well, I resocket gems and run some tests, and I upgrade any gems I find, just because I have the money.

I'm already slamming MP5, for whatever that's worth, and it's not really a contest. I'll beat MP6 before the end of January, I think, depending on playing time; I am probably just about ready to go up to that level for good, but I want to finish this MP5 campaign so I can get a feel for the boss difficulties. So I think I'm doing alright, and I don't consider the AH "an integral and necessary part of this game." I beat Inferno in 1.0.4, and I don't think luck or godly gear had a lot to do with it.
Reply Quote
"It is not mandatory."

My resists are about 500 without OWE and near 1000 with OWE. That's about 100% buff to my resist. No other class has skills or passives anywhere near as OP as OWE.
Reply Quote
"It is not mandatory."

My resists are about 500 without OWE and near 1000 with OWE. That's about 100% buff to my resist. No other class has skills or passives anywhere near as OP as OWE.

well... you dont need 1000 resists. 600 will do fine.

EDIT 1: plus look at your DPS... eww

EDIT 2: i count 10 stat rolls on your gear that are arcane resists. thats 10 wasted slots if you were to go all res and free up that passive for something better.
Edited by Tarzan#1737 on 12/18/2012 10:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
"It is not mandatory."

well... you dont need 1000 resists. 600 will do fine.

EDIT 1: plus look at your DPS... eww

EDIT 2: i count 10 stat rolls on your gear that are arcane resists. thats 10 wasted slots if you were to go all res and free up that passive for something better.

I may do just that when/if OWE gets nerfed and other passives buffed so it becomes as good or better than OWE anyway. Ill regear if it comes to that. Not gonna regear till then. Yes my dps is slightly low but I still facetank allday and elites at MP5 die in just a minute. Keep in mind that OWE gets my resist from 500 to 1000, so it will take a huge nerf to OWE and a huge buff to some other passive to make me change and regear...

edit: I should have 11 slots with arcane resist. Right now, there's no better passive than OWE, not even close!
Edited by Ace#1696 on 12/20/2012 10:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
18k is "SLIGHTLY" low.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA *deep breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA.

I love that the OP insists his sort of stats are necessary for a successful monk.
Reply Quote
LOL at the dmg buff before logout... wth people
Reply Quote
Clear understanding of game mechanics going on in this thread.
Reply Quote
18k is "SLIGHTLY" low.

I love that the OP insists his sort of stats are necessary for a successful monk.

I had to go check his profile. 18k is extremely low in the damage department. WTH? o_O I couldn't deal with that, a little speed is needed to keep me interested. My res is just fine and my damage is way higher (yes, I am using OWE, but even if I weren't...).
Reply Quote
12/18/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Ace

That's not a 100% buff—it's a 62.5% buff because of the "add 300" part of OWE calculations. You're essentially going from an EL multiplier of 800/300 at 500 resists to 1300/300 at 1000 resists. That's a jump of 500/800, or 5/8, or 62.5%. Which, let's be honest, is freaking awesome—unless you're past the point where extra mitigation helps you survive. I believe 500 resistance is plenty with enough sustain and effective life. I have 517 resistances buffed by OWE, and 1500 LOH, and I mangle MP6 and might be capable of whipping MP7. Why? Because I have all the EL and sustain I need to survive. Once you're at that point for a given MP level, you need more damage, not even more mitigation.
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 01:07 PMPosted by Vrkhyz
Because I have all the EL and sustain I need to survive. Once you're at that point for a given MP level, you need more damage, not even more mitigation.

Yep.

This is not World of Warcraft or any other MMO. We are not raiding. We don't need tanks or meat shields or whatever you want to call them. You simply need enough EH not to die before your sustain/cooldowns can take over. Once you have that much, you just need to kill faster.
Reply Quote
18k is "SLIGHTLY" low.

My dps used to be under 15k, but I got him up a few thousand. I could probably hit the 20k level, but he's meant to tank. My barb is my main and a true dps powerhouse, I faceroll mp5 while my monk takes about 2-3x longer. I don't feel like going the crit route on my monk because he has no good offensive passives unlike my barb. Also monks have no way to get lifesteal other than their weps so I probably can't use a skorn on my monk to begin with :(

500 resist is extremely low for a monk, a class that should easily have the highest resists in the game. I could get well over 500 resist without even "double dipping" by just having only arcane resist on every item but my wep. No other class can get that so OWE is the best passive ever. Impunity adds only 20% but OWE adds 100% and I think OWE will be nerfed big time so it adds 30-50% instead. I will be looking at 650 to 750 resist after the nerf.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]