Diablo® III

Anybody else gear with DPS:EHP ratio in mind?

WTH happened to this thread? I liked it more when it was all new concepts and like it a whole lot less now. Chill out, guys.
Reply Quote
[quote="73919545117"][quote]

It was not directed at you but PvP dummy I'm #250-300 in the world, #31 for monk according to diabloprogress

Scrapz#1142
PvP Dummy: 476,506
world: 15743 (monk: 2699)
Americas: 5833 (monk: 903)

according to diabloprogress, am i missing something?
Reply Quote
[quote]
[quote]

It was not directed at you but PvP dummy I'm #250-300 in the world, #31 for monk according to diabloprogress

Scrapz#1142
PvP Dummy: 476,506
world: 15743 (monk: 2699)
Americas: 5833 (monk: 903)

according to diabloprogress, am i missing something?

Yes, my pvp gear is stashed away

That's a mp1 farming set /w like 350 resist or something. Look at all that pickup radius :D
Reply Quote
@maximum @scrapz
There is a part of me that feels badly that this thread has generated such heat and animosity. And then I see this

oooh.
/popcorn

And I am just soaking it all in. Not in pleasure, but even in this open conflict, I am learning a lot. But if you don't mind me saying, I want to re-state something I think I stated earlier.

Different players play this game for different reasons. Maximus, you treat this as a farming game and you are striving for XP & loot. If that is your primary purpose, then perhaps you are doing the best you can at what you are doing - mission accomplished. Scrapz, I think you pride yourself on building a balanced monk (as do I) and it seems you enjoy the challenges it brings at different levels. If that is how you enjoy D3, then mission accomplished. Neither of you are more right, I don't think because in the end, we are attempting to play the game for our own personal enjoyment -- and the great thing is that we get to define what brings us joy in this game - that's what MP levels has done -- invite more flexibility and more ways to play the game and gives people like LordRaahl and Druin (to name two) to develop different builds and specs for entirely different purposes.

Personally, I line up more with Scrapz' philosophy. From the point that I decided to re-gear my monk about 13 plevels ago, I wanted to build a balanced monk (without dipping into RMAH). One of the things that I enjoy about the game is the thrill of the challenge that different levels bring. Nobody "farms" MP10 for xp/loot, but many may like to wade in there for the challenge and to stretch oneself. Being able to do MP10 comfortably allows for maximum flexibility in being able to play different levels for different purposes.

In a way, that's why I enjoy reading some of LordRaahl's posts and his guide -- he doesn't pretend to strive for maximum farming efficiency at all costs -- at least, I don't think that's his only goal nor is that where he seems to get his kicks from the game. That's probably why I thnk his posts are so often misunderstood (and gets called out for trolling)... because the basis from which he enjoys the game is different from what folks like maximus (no offence, just using you as an example to represent the many who have the same philosophy) strive for (which is maximum farming efficiency).

I think what I am trying to say is... let's respect the differences we each bring to the game. There is no one right way of playing -- we all get to define what's "right" for us. I suppose this is the ultimate in postmodern thinking. :)

Which brings me back to my original question. Embedded assumption in my question is precisely about how to move up in MP levels "comfortably" - which is what motivated my question about DPS:EHP ratio. This question bears no relevance in lower levels because the ratio can be all out of whack -- you can easily have 100K dps and EHP doesn't matter because you will kill monsters before they can get close to you. But the question does bear relevance for those (like me) who enjoy the challenges of higher levels, especially doing through "hard work" and constantly pushing the limits of my gear by working on skill (which costs nothing but time, brainpower and effort), on top of gearing (which costs a lot).

So I want to thank all of those who have answered this thread so far. The variety of perspectives has been amazing and it has helped me understand more about gearing for higher levels. Keep the discussion alive, but I hope that we can also keep it respectful as well. :)

Cheers, everyone!
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 12/12/2012 6:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
Sorry guys, i don't mean to offend anyone in the threads... :)

I have to say we have a great monk community... Happy discussion guys..
Reply Quote
I apologize to everyone for getting a little heated during this discussion.

Look at my post history, I am not one to flex my e-peen. I am open to have a open discussion anytime but sometimes you have to flex your E-peen to prove your point.

As I've said before in my post. However much of a !@#$ hole I may come across, I mean no disrespect to any of you. In the end, it's just a game. We all have our beliefs and being the AMERICANS we are, we stick to it no matter how wrong we are. (HIMYM reference)

I don't hate or dislike anyone in here. I actually like "discussions". Allows me to pass time at work.. looks like I have 10 more mins till the I leave this !@#$hole.

-Scrapz
The %^-*!@# but loving monk
Edited by scrapz#1142 on 12/12/2012 6:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
As I've said before in my post. However I may come across, I mean no disrespect to any of you. In the end, it's just a game. We all have our beliefs and being the AMERICANS we are, we stick to it no matter how wrong we are. (HIMYM reference)

I'm Canadian. Diplomacy rocks. :)
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 06:21 PMPosted by Nameless
As I've said before in my post. However I may come across, I mean no disrespect to any of you. In the end, it's just a game. We all have our beliefs and being the AMERICANS we are, we stick to it no matter how wrong we are. (HIMYM reference)

I'm Canadian. Diplomacy rocks. :)

eh?
Reply Quote
Wow, this thread went to crap pretty quick, You guys resolve your PvP rankings per diabloprogress?

/popcorn
Reply Quote
/hotdog
/beer
/joint

I'm ready.
Edited by LordRaahl#1733 on 12/12/2012 7:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yea, this thread delivers. Since I'm #1 or #2 PvP monk what do I win? E-peen-normous.
Reply Quote
er back to the discussion... how about some suggestion to raise my ehp?? ^^

would gearing for all resist gears and dumping my OWE works better?
Reply Quote
/hotdog
/beer
/joint
/bowl
/joint
/beer
/hotdog

I'm ready.

Fixed.
Reply Quote
Even further back: Nameless, let's look at real DPS vs. EHP. Paper DPS doesn't mean much when it comes to RD or trying to beat a more difficult MP level; I think we both agree on that. How do your ratios look in that case?
Reply Quote
oh god no, not more math.
we're trying to enjoy the show, bring on the aggressive discussions!
Reply Quote
#8 checking in

Did I read someone say earlier than 1m+ ehp was "frivolous" ?

Confus.
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 08:41 PMPosted by Vrkhyz
Even further back: Nameless, let's look at real DPS vs. EHP. Paper DPS doesn't mean much when it comes to RD or trying to beat a more difficult MP level; I think we both agree on that. How do your ratios look in that case?

I'm not sure yet. I need to time my azmodan kill -- i can only facetank him at mp5 and lower. so i'll time that, see what my EDPS:EHP ratio is, at least for MP5... i'm not sure how to measure my EDPS beyond that without better gear.
Reply Quote
#8, not bad
Reply Quote
oh !@#$, it's the 8th ball. >.<
Reply Quote
oh god no, not more math.
we're trying to enjoy the show, bring on the aggressive discussions!

Sorry Raahl. I think show's over. Nothing to see here. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]