Diablo® III

Anybody else gear with DPS:EHP ratio in mind?

Just checked for lolz. Sitting at 1:8 ratio haha.

124k unbuffed DPS : 1.04m unbuffed EHP.

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/unreality-1664/Enchantress/15909274
Reply Quote
ehp>dps imo

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/ryan-11761/NWANateDiaz/178158
Reply Quote
You're theorycrafting going more tanky over more dps based on RD, a monster affix that can be negated by carrying a weapon with high vamp for RD packs. Welcome to the derp derpy serp derp.
Reply Quote
If you're refering to mp10, against the toughest elites

It would be better to include hitpoint sustain which requires a combination of lifesteal, life on hit and attack speed.

from a melee perspective, affixes such as
-electrified
-molten

can increase the hitpoint drain drastically.
Edited by Katsukaze#1646 on 12/14/2012 7:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
Wiz have no right to complain when you can spam a 21k absorb dmg shield. It's hard for monk to survive when your only attack kills yourself in one hit.

This thread just seems silly though. I doubt anyone started the game thinking, I want to make a 300k unbuffed dps monk with 15k hp or a 2mil ehp monk with 10k dps.
Edited by Legalos#1110 on 12/14/2012 7:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
i like where my EHP currently sit, but aim to bring it up to 1 mil EHP. Ill try doing it while still increasing my DPS to ~150k hopefully. :)
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 07:14 AMPosted by Zero
This thread just seems silly though. I doubt anyone started the game thinking, I want to make a 300k unbuffed dps monk with 15k hp or a 2mil ehp monk with 10k dps.

You'd be surprised. Your examples are extreme, but there are some folks who have built tank monks with no DPS who pride themselves on being able to tank MP10 (but acknowledging it takes them forever to kill anything). Not that there's much wrong with this, since it's probably not too expensive to do and it could serve a purpose in group play.

On the other extreme (and more popular) are some who have built glass cannon monks with no defence and no HP - I've seen RMAH monks coming out of levelling up their monks with something like 150K DPS and 250K EHP. It may not be their explicit intention to build that way, but it may have been done out of some degree of ignorance about the value of proper defence.
Reply Quote
UPDATE: TL;DR (based on discussion from thread)
It seems that there may be a consensus conclusion around the need to monitor some combination of DPS, EHP (non-dodge) and sustain due to the ongoing presence of RD elite & champion packs. There are also references made to some bugs being addressed by dev team about re: pet damage, minions and RD/Health Link combination. For more detailed information, check out the thread below.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Most of us have been talking about maintaining something as close to 700 AR / 5K Armor as best we can, and keeping HP above 35K. At least, that's how I've considered my gearing approach. But I'm beginning to wonder about gearing with DPS : EHP ratio in mind, especially with the presence of RD elite / champion packs.

I used to think that a 1:4 ratio of DPS:EHP was good, but I'm finding that it's typically not good enough in mid-to-higher MPs with RD monsters since most of the damage I incur is self-inflicted. At this point, I'm wanting to spend most of my upgrades on increasing EHP rather than DPS. I see the place of having sustain, but finding that the mechanics of sustain (that you are incurring damage first before you try to recover from it) as being slightly problematic as you deal higher damage, and for that higher damage to get reflected back on us (and with low mitigation, it takes much more sustain to recover).

So recently, I'm arriving at the conclusion that a ratio closer to 1:5 is much more comfortable, since my DPS can often be buffed to 220K through an array of skills and buffs (not including MoC/Overawe). I'm not quite there yet but I'm finding the closer I get, the more comfortable the fights seem to be (and I don't necessarily need more than one LS weapon).

Just wondering if others out there gear with a specific DPS:EHP ratio in mind. I'm personally leaning towards wanting to keep a 1:5 ratio going at all times. Which means that I'd want my EHP to get closer to 600K before I consider attempts at upgrading my DPS to somewhere closer to 120K.

Or taking it one step further, using fights against Azmodan to measure our "true" DPS and using that as a gauge to figure out our optimal EHP. Anyway, wondering what some of the others thought about this kind of upgrading / gearing approach.

I gear my characters with PvP in mind =D

PvP in ALL of the online RPG's that I've ever played in the past, have been more than just maximizing DPS + EHP, and that's the way it should be. Because otherwise it would be too simple.
Edited by Acolytesftw#1665 on 12/14/2012 11:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
Let me help on the subject. I have a 1:20 ratio, lol. My purpose as a sacrifice WD is to feed my group health globes, periodically buff their damage (by a ton), and hex the enemies. Since I play with glassy teammates, I do the tanking. My EHP is easily over 1 million vs elites. This allows me to stay alive, and revive my mates in spirit walk. I just wanted to be an example of the 'idiots that can't kill anything.' Sacrifice does do a surprising amount of damage, though. Sheet dps is very illusive. 1100% weapon damage to everything in 12 yards, twice a second...
Reply Quote
I gear my characters with PvP in mind =D

PvP in ALL of the online RPG's that I've ever played in the past, have been more than just maximizing DPS + EHP, and that's the way it should be. Because otherwise it would be too simple.

I agree, i keep pvp in mind when gearing as well.

besides DPS/EHP, i think move speed, sustain, spirit regen will all have benefits in pvp...
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 06:24 PMPosted by scrapz

I'm Canadian. Diplomacy rocks. :)

eh?

We always say eh? then you guys always say galdang and rootin tootin.
Reply Quote

eh?

We always say eh? then you guys always say galdang and rootin tootin.

I'm ready to git down at the hoe down. yeee hawwwwwwwwwwww
Reply Quote
They say "eh" a LOT in Winnipeg...
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 11:45 AMPosted by Bujitsa
Let me help on the subject. I have a 1:20 ratio, lol. My purpose as a sacrifice WD is to feed my group health globes, periodically buff their damage (by a ton), and hex the enemies. Since I play with glassy teammates, I do the tanking. My EHP is easily over 1 million vs elites. This allows me to stay alive, and revive my mates in spirit walk. I just wanted to be an example of the 'idiots that can't kill anything.' Sacrifice does do a surprising amount of damage, though. Sheet dps is very illusive. 1100% weapon damage to everything in 12 yards, twice a second...

Man been looking for a good WD to party with. I think we would make a good team :D .
Reply Quote
For the lulz checked my stats,

according to d3up my unbuffed dps is 229K+ : 165K+ ehp. But with gloom and cluster arrow I can face tank almost anything. Gloom brings my ehp up to 254K+, plus the LS when I use cluster arrow bringing my life back up instantly for everytime I hit with clluster arrow.

I don't seem to struggle at all on mp10(not that I farm mp10 for efficiency, but for the sake of just how well my dh can do on mp10) . I stay alive and !@#$ doesn't die too slow.

But then again I'm not melee so I guess dps to ehp ratio isn't as significant to a ranged class.

Keeping pvp in mind, I have some gear that would increase my ehp to over 400K but bring down my unbuffed dps to 197K. Change my passive to perfectionist, vengeance and brooding and change bat follower to boar, giving me a very tanky dh. Even with this my cluster arrow crits for over 400K per hit, not too sure maybe a lot more, gotta check again but with vengeance I can hit 3 times in a row.

I think it would do quite well in pvp. But I won't really know till pvp actually comes out and may change skills accordingly.

BTW, will pvp only be a team thing or will there also be 1v1?
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 06:48 PMPosted by Tarzan
They say "eh" a LOT in Winnipeg...

I'm outside Buffalo, New York, which Bill Simmons has described as "America's only bisexual city" when it comes to straddling the border. Everyone here says "eh" all the time, too :)
Reply Quote
running 1:10 in mp10
Edited by Katsukaze#1646 on 12/16/2012 9:36 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]