Diablo® III

Every voice matters...

View profile
In this day and age, it’s not unusual for a community to expect that a game will have some form of continued development after its release, even if it’s a game like Diablo III (which doesn’t really have the same content model as something like World of Warcraft, for example).

A lot of you have been concerned about the lack of game-changing adjustments in patch 1.0.6 and 1.0.6a, and we can certainly sympathize since they’re not the kind of patches you’ve been used to seeing for Diablo III. Smaller patches like those aren’t unusual for Blizzard games, though, and are often needed to address important issues quickly (issues that can’t be resolved with a hotfix or really wait for a larger content patch that might be scheduled for a later date). Similarly, sometimes patches will contain a lot of behind-the-scenes changes that aren’t visible to players, but are still necessary to keep the game running smoothly or enable testing for new features that are coming down the line. This was the case for both 1.0.6a and 1.0.6, respectively. Lylirra provided a bit more transparency about that [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7383168500#7"]here[/url] and [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7379007846?page=3#52"]here[/url]. They’re a bit technical, but that’s doesn’t mean they’re made-up jargon – that’s really just how patching works.

But, just because the latest patches have been smaller, that doesn’t mean we haven’t been working on improvements to the game. We commented on some stuff already that we have planned for future patches (to provide a very recent example, here’s some info on [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7349425431?page=2#39"]Reflects Damage[/url]). In many cases, though, we may not be in position to comment on what the developers are working on, either because they’re still working on the design process or we’re not really sure if what we have is actually going to make it into the game. Over the years we have found it is better to avoid promising anything about future content (until we are as close to 100% certain about it as possible) than to retract previous communication when something gets cut or delayed from a patch, or changed to something completely different. Even acknowledging that an issue exists is enough for some players to walk away with “they know, so something will be done immediately” and can be harmful if said issue’s resolution doesn’t make it into a patch.

Acknowledging community’s concerns is very important, but requires some finesse when we do. Some of you will disagree with that philosophy and for very good reasons. We promise the community team is listening, relaying to development teams and working hard to make sure information is digestible and ready to go as soon as the proverbial light turns green.

Excellent crafting of words Grimiku, I applaud your attempts at pleasing the "Community" of Diablo 3.

On a less sarcastic note: I do hope you're telling the truth about the Devs listening and actually taking certain ideas from the community into account. I also understand why you all distance yourselves from us when it comes to potential changes/additions to the game because if something is said then others will believe it's set in stone and cry and whine unholy bloody tears when it doesn't happen.

Also...
I know it doesn't nor will it have the same content updates like wow. But the game you released heavily needs new content. Be it an expansion, DLC whatever. What you put out wasn't enough, what you are doing isn't fast enough. Every mechanic in this game needs to be expanded upon exponentially. I think you guys really underestimated the Diablo fanbase greatly as far as how we would blow through the game regardless of how artificially difficult it was, even pre 1.03. The game is shallow.

Basically what I'm saying is and I hate that I even feel this way. But DLC content update system is needed in order for this game to get the proper updates and attention it deserves. The only other option is to release dev toolkits for the modding community to pump out some sweet updates. I don't see that happening though.

Currently, I'm not a satisfied customer. But thanks for all those other games you put out in the past.

~Regards
A Rampant AI~
Edited by ShadowStarr5#1189 on 12/12/2012 7:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 02:13 PMPosted by Grimiku
Over the years we have found it is better to avoid promising anything about future content (until we are as close to 100% certain about it as possible) than to retract previous communication when something gets cut or delayed from a patch, or changed to something completely different.

Like promising PVP in promotional trailers before the game was released, or letting people at blizzcon actually PLAY PVP?
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 02:16 PMPosted by ChuckNorris
I just really hope they can fix wd mana problems.

This is my top concern. I'm not sure anyone at Blizz realizes how restrictive some class resources are compared to others. I can't even play my witch doctor at higher monster powers because all my mana is based on on-death mechanics.
Reply Quote
Over the years we have found it is better to avoid promising anything about future content (until we are as close to 100% certain about it as possible) than to retract previous communication when something gets cut or delayed from a patch, or changed to something completely different.

Unfortunately that logic does not seem to apply to the hype you give a game before you release it.
Reply Quote
In this day and age, it’s not unusual for a community to expect that a game will have some form of continued development after its release, even if it’s a game like Diablo III (which doesn’t really have the same content model as something like World of Warcraft, for example).

So what you are saying here is; Don't expect much more from us regarding new content. This is as far as it goes.

I am very disappointed in this quote. I have enjoyed this game and have spent quite a bit of real money in the process (by my choice of course). I do feel cheated if there is nothing more you will be adding to this game.
Reply Quote

This game should not ship yet... Unfortunately it did ship as a complete crap so you SHOULD be providing future development.
Reply Quote
Ya...as a Beta tester I was just happy for it to be finally out. I love D3 but it definitely shipped unfinished.

-Which is really awkward.
Edited by polyoddity#1878 on 12/13/2012 7:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Commas
- Gear Lock
- Identify All
- Reflect Damage from pets
- WD mana problems
- Bots, Trade Hacks and Dupes
- Heck all other classes need buffs aside from Barb
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 08:46 PMPosted by Nabewho
I just really hope they can fix wd mana problems.

This is my top concern. I'm not sure anyone at Blizz realizes how restrictive some class resources are compared to others. I can't even play my witch doctor at higher monster powers because all my mana is based on on-death mechanics.

I really hope the WD's concerns get heard.....
Reply Quote
Every voice matters ... right. That explains all the bands handed out against people that "voiced their opinions", right?

Eat poo Blizz. Thats what you fed us all in this game, so its fitting dont ya think?
Reply Quote
Edited by Grimiku on 12/12/12 3:17 PM (PST)

In this day and age, it's not unusual for people to expect quick responses and fast actions to issues...am I right Grim?
Reply Quote

A lot of you have been concerned about the lack of game-changing adjustments in patch 1.0.6 and 1.0.6a, and we can certainly sympathize since they’re not the kind of patches you’ve been used to seeing for Diablo III. Smaller patches like those aren’t unusual for Blizzard games, though, and are often needed to address important issues quickly (issues that can’t be resolved with a hotfix or really wait for a larger content patch that might be scheduled for a later date). Similarly, sometimes patches will contain a lot of behind-the-scenes changes that aren’t visible to players, but are still necessary to keep the game running smoothly or enable testing for new features that are coming down the line. This was the case for both 1.0.6a and 1.0.6, respectively. Lylirra provided a bit more transparency about that [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7383168500#7"]here[/url] and [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7379007846?page=3#52"]here[/url]. They’re a bit technical, but that’s doesn’t mean they’re made-up jargon – that’s really just how patching works.

But, just because the latest patches have been smaller, that doesn’t mean we haven’t been working on improvements to the game. We commented on some stuff already that we have planned for future patches (to provide a very recent example, here’s some info on [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7349425431?page=2#39"]Reflects Damage[/url]). In many cases, though, we may not be in position to comment on what the developers are working on, either because they’re still working on the design process or we’re not really sure if what we have is actually going to make it into the game. Over the years we have found it is better to avoid promising anything about future content (until we are as close to 100% certain about it as possible) than to retract previous communication when something gets cut or delayed from a patch, or changed to something completely different. Even acknowledging that an issue exists is enough for some players to walk away with “they know, so something will be done immediately” and can be harmful if said issue’s resolution doesn’t make it into a patch.

Acknowledging community’s concerns is very important, but requires some finesse when we do. Some of you will disagree with that philosophy and for very good reasons. We promise the community team is listening, relaying to development teams and working hard to make sure information is digestible and ready to go as soon as the proverbial light turns green.

First of all thank you for taking your time to respond, I understand the need to be utterly diplomatic in relation to release of information... but moreover than asking for accountability on your end maybe look at this as the community trying to light a proverbial fire under your arses. We like your game, enough to bring us to have these heated debates. But it doesn't mean that we are overlooking the blaring issues either. Work with us, and we keep you guys making money.
Reply Quote
In this day and age, it’s not unusual for a community to expect that a game will have some form of continued development after its release, even if it’s a game like Diablo III

Actually with that kind of release quality, continued development isnt unusual but a must for Blizzard survival in the market.

Otherwise with the quality of the D3 release state we would still be waiting at the main menu with the errors 12, 37, 108, 3004, 3006, 3007 and 315300.

In this day and age would it be unusual to be satisfied with those results as developers?

Overall blizzard games get better with age, just like the wine, but in this particular game it felt we started just with water and you guys stretched your continued development style to justify the poor release state ( lots of important log in/comunication bugs, several broken main skills like monk quickening + SW back then).
In all fairness this first year is looking more to me like a completion cycle (of something unfinished) rather than continuity on development ( wich should start ideally on something roughly finished at least).

I honestly think we are mistaking "continued" development for "completing" the development in this case.
Edited by Colt#2370 on 12/13/2012 5:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Gunny
Now it's up to Kool-Aid with no sugar?

And what would that mean?
Reply Quote
I have stopped playing the game a lot. One of my reasons is that there are things in game that bother me. Quality over Quantity in item drops would be awesome. I have a main that has hit a wall in Inferno act 3 I guess I could go back to lower acts with higher exp gears because finding players that will help you get to Diablo is no easy task. Everyone has to play online yet only four can be in a group, this is way too low if you ask me.
PVP should have been put out a long time ago or at least a date of release should have been set. Buying and selling characters was a big selling point for myself along with RMAH which I have never been able to sell one item. My plan was to use the money to pay for Wow and buy other items from the blizzard store, cashing out and using the money, was just an added bonus. Guess the jokes on me, maybe someday down the road things will change. I know that there are players out there that have made money, and I wonder how the IRS and paying taxes on that money will play out?
A lot of Diablo 3 accounts are tied to WoW players that paid for a year of game time and got the game given to them. I wonder if these people are going to renew for another year? How would this factor into the fact that there is no PVP in D3? MOP has already dropped in price and it has not even been out that long. For a long time Blizzard had a reputation of not cheating and not letting cheaters cheat. Once you play the games you realize that most of the things that were called cheating was just finding away around a lot of boring tasks that people didn't have time or want to take the time to do, like leveling.
Reply Quote

Lol, should ban Jay Wilson from posting from his twitter.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]