Diablo® III

Monks need a rework....

Monk are primarily a melee class and don't get me wrong, my monk doesn't suffer on the whole, I can do MP8 without to much grief. (I do still die from time to time of course.) But ALL my friends are Barbs, and my first character was a Barb, I only switched because EVERYONE else is a barb or a wizard and I don't want to be that guy.

However after playing the monk a fair bit lately, I have to say that their passives are closer to heaping piles of %$#@ then anything barbarians have, not mention the endless whirlwinding/sprinting that monks can NEVER hope to do in their current state. (Don't talk to me about that whirling staff garbage that makes you eat spirit like you're starving to death.) Top it off with terrible passives that we are forced to use because Dexterity gives us RNG instead of a viable defense platform and you have a lovely crap-tastic concoction that blizzard calls a monk.

Now 2 things may come up that I want to snuff before they get posted.
1. "But my monk has 200K damage and I don't have any problems." Really? No, %^%$. No one with 200K damage has problems. Don't Post that here, it has no bearing on the topic.

2. "I play with So-and-so and we do just fine, he's a monk." So you play with a monk, not as a monk? Good talk, you're retarded.

I'll start with barbarians and work my way to Witch Doctor which is of course the other
semi-suffering class.

So Barbarians are kind of just the end all of classes. It's where everyone who isn't a Wizard or a DH will find themselves shortly. Barbarians use strength first off which means they don't get an RNG defense, they gain 2.5K armor from 2.5K Strength. (Using 2.5K as an average top tier barb. So this alone means they will gain roughly 50% more armor from str. Meaning they take about 20%ish less dmg from everything. Monks get 50% dodge from their dex but it's 50% randomly as well as it not affecting anything that isn't ACTIVELY used from mobs. Armor affects EVERYTHING.

Barbarians also have 3 incredible Passives that work very well together. 3% Life steal + 3% crit and 50% Crit damage, and if you use a mace (which your a moron if you don't), 10% crit. 10%!!!! Are you F'ing kidding me? At least that passive makes sense on a demon hunter. It's an assassin!

Lastly on top of the barbarian being able to Life steal tons of health and take tons less damage it also has the most mobility of any class.... (Another mind boggler) Whirl wind lets them pass through everything effectively making them impossible to lock down and also making them able to avoid EVERYTHING on the ground.

Recap: Strength = Armor, Amazing Passives, Incredible skill cohesion.
pretty much only thing they can die to once decently geared is fallen maniacs. GG

Wizards....I know them well enough to talk for just as long as barbarians but don't feel the need to because of the range dmg factor they COULD have if they had ABSOLUTELY ANY need for it.... CM/Frost Nova/Tornado.... GG Blizzard. Lets nerf IAS because we are worried about people breaking the game with procs. Well, you fail worse then a nun in a brothel.

DH. I will admit, I don't know much about this class. But why don't you visit heroscore and see if the top 20 slots are still filled with wizards and DH because I'll bet you my incredible life savings it is. + on command life steal and Damage reduction.... This class is ranged, has one of the highest if not the highest DPS, and if it's a group like you designed monks for it makes most classes DPS look meager at best.

And of witchdoctor, oh how I love thee, let me count the ways....
You look like you have a mix of Parkinsens disease/downs....
Well that's one short freaking list, ehhh!?! Am I right!?

The point is even as outcast as the WD is he still has Int as a primary stat... That's .1 Ar per int.... I mean come on. Monks are melee and we get Dex.... Which is useless for melee who HAVE to stand in fire because they can't whirl out of it. I don't always want to you FoT/TC, Sometimes I get sick of seeing cyclones... I hate being FORCED into using at least 2 defensive passives to be at least half-way not squishy with 45K HP and 550 AR. I have 1 handers that get me up to 1.5K LoH and it's still barely doing the job, I got a crappy LS Skorn and I'm doing "OK". I'm tired of watching my friends spin circles around me while I buff thier dmg and collect loot. Why doesn't their DPS shout help me at least? I'm tired of being second best melee when there are only 2 melee classes. I want a change, I want the barbarians passives, I want a skill that buff my dmg and has runes to modify it, I want to be competitive, not someones !@#$%!

Change Dex, make it not useless. 50% goes to dodge the rest to armor... Make me dodge ground effects. SOMETHING, dex is useless as is.

Just get rid of all monk passive except for 5 maybe 6? and nothing would change. More or less. I mean people would complain that they are gone but what would it REALLY affect?

Like near death experience... HAHAHAHA, this should read, if you plan on dying a whole bunch use this. Then in fine print should explain that using it actually means you have to sacrifice REAL defense for it. :`o( Such a horrible passive. Polish a turd....

Give me my one missing passive, and remove the ones that suck so much and add more. I don't want to be a beacon of terrible that heals people and makes them better... "I" "ME" MAKE ME better, idc about the people I play with.

And for the love of god, if you insist on making us heal people for dmg at least increase the range of it to cover the whole freaking screen so I don't have to sniff someones ^-*! to heal them, I mean really?

I would love a blue to follow this post and tell me how everything is ok and I'm just doing it wrong but I don't think that A) Every other monk is wrong or, B) The blues have a clue how they could possibly fix this class that is so far behind without redoing it from the ground up.
Reply Quote
I don't have the post handy but a CM has mentioned that the monk class is being considered for significant changes.
Reply Quote
I did a bit of looking around, if anyone could direct me to a post that says specifically that monks are in need of reworking, coming from the mouth of a Blizz exec I would love to read it. Thanks.
Reply Quote
I can't believe I found it, but this is the post I was refering to...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794319883#7
Reply Quote
no Blue play monk, all of them are either anything but monk, CM have not grace us their present for eternity, they don't give a !@#$, and when they are saying they are reworking monk, its because they need to make monk non-op, and keep barb godly in PVP.

I found more thrill on flipping in AH than the actual game..... I think I am done with this game once all my %^-* were sold, at least till PvP comes out, which might be next Christmas.
Edited by richDDT#1912 on 12/12/2012 3:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
OP, overawe is OP as fack!!!! Dodge is awesome and my monk is every bit as OP as top tier barbs.

Monks do more damage! You ever notice how when farming w/ barbs, they leave lots of creatures unkilled? Nothing escapes my monk

Invulnerable w/ Serenity!
48% more damage w/ mantra!
10% more constant MS w/ passive!

Barbs don't get WKL!!!
Reply Quote
So you read the first 4 lines of the post and told me that because your gear is top tier monks are ok, yet you use the exact same skills as me because there is nothing else worth using because monks are so !@#$ing 1 demensional.... Read the post, it's not about monks with better gear than barbs or dmg, it's about being forced to use horse %^-* skills and passives because there is no other choice. Thanks for your input but it wasn't required.

And no, your monk isn't as good as top tier barbs. :o( Do math, learn both the classes. The difference is astronomical.
Edited by Rikus#1323 on 12/12/2012 3:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
One thing you need to consider is Hardcore mode.

Near Death Experience is somewhat useful y'kno...
Reply Quote
Near death experience in HC mode could be viable, but the main problem is that monks have no defense compared to everyone but DH to begin with. We shouldn't have a skill that encourages death, but rather on that will help us avoid it all together.

In short I agree, but the premise of the passive is still awful and could be better used on Resolve/STI/OWE
Reply Quote
OP, overawe is OP as fack!!!! Dodge is awesome and my monk is every bit as OP as top tier barbs.

Monks do more damage! You ever notice how when farming w/ barbs, they leave lots of creatures unkilled? Nothing escapes my monk

Invulnerable w/ Serenity!
48% more damage w/ mantra!
10% more constant MS w/ passive!

Barbs don't get WKL!!!

WKL is great, but it can not be true end game, DPS wise its not as good as EF, as no WKL > 1k dps.
Utility wise, the lost of CD when there is LS meaning it won't be as good as a high end rare LS weapon with High Dex and CD, since the damage only transfer to FoT and the SW-cyclone, but not SW..
Edited by richDDT#1912 on 12/12/2012 3:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
Rich, your build is so unbalanced and IMO not very solid. I'm guessing mp10 Belial would own you. That aside, you're obviously a paper DPs fiend, WKL is totally end game. My bonus is 21%, do you know what 21% of 218,000 is? A lot more DPs than any rare is capable of
Reply Quote
21% of 218,000 is about 46K, so 264,000. On FoT and SW-Cyclones. So your dmg is about 10K higher than his on 2 of your three attacks, and it's only higher off of paper which means your SW snap shot is complete horse !@#$ compared to his. Lose the WKL. :o) And it doesn't have CD, it will make a fine brimstone one day!
Reply Quote
My snapshot is a monster! BF & BoH
Reply Quote
I get it, I get it....Rich is a GOD!!!!(in mp2)

I also could have close to 300k paper DPs if I wanted(49%cd unity, my other amulet & a double crit rare) but I wouldn't be as beastly(no EHP)
Edited by Azakiah#1996 on 12/12/2012 3:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
Near Death Experience...

Definitely funny.

Picking this power makes you more likely to die.

And when just about dead, it brings you back to 30% health.

Whatever took 100% of your health before you could do anything about it is very likely to take 30% of your health right after you get it back.

Just stupid.
Reply Quote
monks will be nerfed to the ground in pvp

enjoy what you have now
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 02:53 PMPosted by Azakiah
Monks do more damage!

This is false. I have tested it numerous times with several friends with near exact dps/CC/CD. Barbs do more damage. I did these tests to convince my friends who switched to barbs from monks that monks do more damage. I was wrong.

12/12/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Azakiah
My bonus is 21%, do you know what 21% of 218,000 is?

A 950 WKL with 25% bonus will not match the real dps of a 1150 dps rare. Rares can also roll LS/CD/OS combination. Rares win.
Edited by Fitz#1329 on 12/12/2012 6:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
what? monk can easily reach 3+m eDPS and wont cost as much to build as the rest of the class, if you know what i m talking about.
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 06:42 PMPosted by SuperJJ
what? monk can easily reach 3+m eDPS and wont cost as much to build as the rest of the class, if you know what i m talking about.

Using weapon/gear swapping and the SW snapshot. For how long? This will be fixed.

My tests did not include using this "exploit."

EDIT: No exploits. Barb azmo test. 10mil dps. Where is the monk that can do that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKLvhar-mIQ
Edited by Fitz#1329 on 12/12/2012 6:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 06:44 PMPosted by Fitz

Using weapon/gear swapping and the SW snapshot. For how long? This will be fixed.

My tests did not include using this "exploit."
appearly this is not exploit as far as to blizzard. its been there since game release.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]