Diablo® III

Reporting bots as a real life threat

in case anyone plans to do this, I got a warning for doing it

that is all
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I don’t know the details around this particular situation, but this information is a little incomplete, so I will provide some more info to help clarify.

Reporting a player for any infraction (including botting) is fine, but it should be done through proper channels. The best place to report a player for botting or other exploitative behavior is through our online web form, and you can find more information about that here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6246615165. However, reporting players in a public place should be avoided since it can result in a forum suspension. Similarly, the Report > Real-Life Threat in-game option should only be used for situations in which another player has threatened violence or harm that is not directly related to the game world, or if he/she has released real life information about other players or Blizzard employees. Abusing this report system can lead to an account action, so we strongly suggest that you please use it appropriately. You might want to review our online harassment policy for more details: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-harassment-policy
Edited by Lylirra on 12/20/2012 11:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don’t know the details around this particular situation, but this information is a little incomplete, so I will provide some more info to help clarify.

Reporting a player for any infraction (including botting) is fine, but it should be done through proper channels. The best place to report a player for botting or other exploitative behavior is through our online web form, and you can find more information about that here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6246615165. However, reporting players in a public place should be avoided since it can result in a forum suspension. Similarly, the Report > Real-Life Threat in-game option should only be used for situations in which another player has threatened violence or harm that is not directly related to the game world, or if he/she has released real life information about other players or Blizzard employees. Abusing this report system can lead to an account action, so we strongly suggest that you please use it appropriately. You might want to review our online harassment for more details: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-harassment-policy.
While I agree that correct choices should be made to avoid account suspension, I also believe that your team is out of date on the OPTIONS for reporting a player.

I think it is HIGH TIME that your dev team added a few more relevant Report options to the Bnet client on both SC2 and D3 to allow for more streamlined reporting functions and to have a better and quicker response. It could be rolled out as a minor patch and none of use would feel it. The SAME personnel taking care of reports today will just have to accommodate the new function and re-direct it where appropriate, or take the action needed to temp ban or perma ban the botting user, or spammer or hacker.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
You deserve the warning. Don't abuse the system.
Reply Quote
I used this option for someone claiming to be a Blizzard representative in game. They stated that my account was flagged for using 3rd party software and would be banned unless I visited some website and divulged my account info. I reported this through a spam report first, after a couple of days bumped it up to harassment reports. Nothing happened, and I kept getting private messages from the same account. A week goes by before I use the real-life threat report.

I actually felt this was appropriate since the reported player was attempting to gain account information that could be linked to real-world bank accounts and perhaps violates some laws.
Reply Quote
Agree with above post. I think there should definitely be a streamlined process IN GAME for reporting a botter. Has this not been worked on due to there being a chance that legitimate players would be reported every so often? I assume there would be an investigation for each report so I don't see how that would be a big problem.
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Zamara
While I agree that correct choices should be made to avoid account suspension, I also believe that your team is out of date on the OPTIONS for reporting a player.

Indeed. I don't see any options to report things like suspected player botting activities in public games... There are only a few options under the list of things to report. I think adding an option for Miscellaneous would greatly help.
Edited by MisterAjikko#1937 on 12/20/2012 1:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 01:16 PMPosted by Grimiku
Similarly, the Report > Real-Life Threat in-game option should only be used for situations in which another player has threatened violence or harm that is not directly related to the game world, or if he/she has released real life information about other players or Blizzard employees.

Like that time they tried to force Real ID upon us?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
You might want to review our online harassment for more details:

I think you meant to say "You might want to review our online harassment guide", Grimiku.

;)

Reply Quote
someone accused me yesterday of being a bot because i was paragon 100. for one i was leading the group and for two i was talking. fkn idiot. if they do make a report bot option, you better make sure they are one.
Reply Quote

Reporting a player for any infraction (including botting) is fine, but it should be done through proper channels. The best place to report a player for botting or other exploitative behavior is through our online web form, and you can find more information about that here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6246615165. However, reporting players in a public place should be avoided since it can result in a forum suspension. Similarly, the Report > Real-Life Threat in-game option should only be used for situations in which another player has threatened violence or harm that is not directly related to the game world, or if he/she has released real life information about other players or Blizzard employees. Abusing this report system can lead to an account action, so we strongly suggest that you please use it appropriately.

There is 1 thing that you should do: Remove this Reporting option!!!

Why? Simple: You are not police or FBI. This is not your job!
Reply Quote
you realise he's only guilty of using the wrong option for reporting a bot(it should be there in the first place). the bots are doing much more harm
Edited by Macias#2260 on 12/20/2012 6:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Rippinup

Exactly. Botters and exploiters are some of Blizzards best customers. Blizzard has full statistics on all its users, if it wanted its botters gone immediately it would not be a difficult thing to do. Stop wasting Blizzard's time and money.
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Rippinup

No, the system shouldn't be abused.

But when I took a few months off from D3, I had 20 "friend" requests. ALL SPAM. I still get "friend" requests. When the system works, that's when people should stop abusing the system, because clearly it doesn't work (and is being abused by the side we're tired of being "friended" by).
Edited by Sandman366#1292 on 12/20/2012 6:43 PM PST
Reply Quote

Reporting a player for any infraction (including botting) is fine, but it should be done through proper channels.

There is no way to report botters, scammers, or hackers in-game. Thus far, I've only seen an obscure email address used to report hacking. This lack of basic support is due to the lack of a monthly subscription fee. You're not made aware of this information without specifically searching for it. (i.e. there are no proper channels, hence, OP's actions.)

Source: Blizzard rep.
Edited by Broccoli#1885 on 12/20/2012 7:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
Reporting a player for any infraction (including botting) is fine, but it should be done through proper channels. The best place to report a player for botting or other exploitative behavior is through our online web form, and you can find more information about that here:

Grimiku...

I really hate to burst your bubble but the online webform does not support reports of this type.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/submit

Diablo III > I have an In Game Issue > I Want to Report Another Player

This simply tells you that Blizzard cannot accept tickets of this kind.

So I'm rather curious, what is the proper channel?

EDIT: Your first link also gives me an Internal Service Error. I'm not sure why.
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 12/20/2012 7:03 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]