Diablo® III

In defense of Diablo 3

First off... not even 20 secs into the commentary... "I don't understand why poeple don't like this game... I think they're all dumb..." Wow... great perspective. I can see why people should like this game now... *thumbs down*
Reply Quote
Overall, i think the game is really good but there is much more to expand from the present core mechanics.

Even after hundreds of hours, I find that the build types are still quite diverse in fact. That is given the you have the right gears to pull them off, of course. I play 5 characters that mostly follow an unconventional skill/build route.

The problem with majority of the masses that complain is that they follow cliche' builds. That in itself hinders them from trying out different mechanics of the game, so instead they choose to complain instead of solve the problem for themselves.

Many negative posters here as i've seen have terrible playing time and abysmal gear layouts to begin with. For a game that relies on items to maximize skill efficiency, stacking armors without thinking of a skill route is the worst thing to do.

So in essence, the game can't be fun for them since they can't pull-off builds that require particular item combinations to work correctly. Hunting those gears, will also be part of the fun. Yes, not all things can be bought of the AH so that will be a real challenge. :)

Saying those things, i will repeat that i do follow an unconventional build and i am still having fun. :) The game has brought me a good 700+ hours already. A good and solid 700+ hours.

Even top games like Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Witcher 2, etc. could not get me this much satisfaction. :) True that i've gotten well worth of what i've spent for them, but aside from Skyrim i can't bring myself to play those titles anymore after 100 hours.

I enjoy action-rpg grind, suprises of loot drops (yes, i've gotten a good witching hour via RNG drops), and i am looking forward to the upcoming pvp patch that the game will introduce. :)

Again, stop following cliche' builds if you want to truly enjoy the game. www.diabloprogress.com

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/zraiyne-6337/OgureZaiba/25934880
Edited by ZRaiyne#6337 on 1/4/2013 5:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
Games not that bad people.....

Watch it then comment if you want, Ill be ignoreing the wehated3trolls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f5Ebcs_A4U&list=UUoab4ctJcfFKSTmQSNPkM4w&index=1

I have seen the video...

WOW.....
You are dismissing everything the people say does you, and saying them DUMB....

OK First problem...
1. Every one agree that itemization in D3 was not ON par with D2.
2. We all know D3 was graphicaly better than D2.
2. We all know D3 was more fluid than D2. Now you are bashing D2 technology just because they are old....
3. We all agree there is no PVP at launch to this day.
4. The degree of customization that they promised is not happening till this day.
5. The promised of tons of tons build variation doesnt happen till this day...
6. They have randomed level? while its just a random doodad allocation, the map wasn't random.
7. They removed the character progression, stats allocation and skill allocation, making this game shifting from character building to character unlocking....
They says (D3 Director) stats allocation was !@#$ty. While Removing them was a bad choice.
There is other way, is that by giving other stats more meaning. so that people will want to put their points on other stats (Remember in D2 energy was useless because it only gave max manna, give it another meaning, maybe chance to double hit, or anything, same with other stats).
And now we have automated stats that is more shallow, and only 2 Stats meaningful for each class. MAIN Stat, and vitality, tell me, what your barbarian gear was all about, Strength and Vitality, now, thats plain truth...

If you want to make defense on Diablo 3, you better read the post from those critic in the forum.
Critics are hard, and sometimes even blizzard are unbearable to read.
But every critics(although its filled with flame and rage) does have a point.
i just add number 7 from reading a raging person thread which got deleted by our all knowing mod..

This is where the CM capacity was tested.
People that complains will not come to you with flowers and chocolate.
The will come with pitchfork and flame...
Edited by WhiteBootz#6395 on 1/4/2013 5:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
I guess a lot of people expected this game to make them 13 years old all over again.
But then they got the game and realized they're still the same miserable and jaded adult who hates everything that is new.

Somewhat harsh. People should realize that DIII is a different interpretation of the series and not a successor. Comparing both games is the same as comparing works of art from two different artists. My expectations were never delusional, so I try playing the game without bias. Although incredibly fun, the game lacks depth in many areas. There's a lot of angst because of this, but with access to Blizzard's resources, I'll continue to give Wilson the benefit of the doubt.

I was there playing Diablo 1 in my younger years on a piece of crap pentium 60. I've played everything else after that's Diablo related including the dozens of clones produced over the years.

What do I think of Diablo III? I think it has its flaws, but overall it's been a very fun game. I have a few issues about it (no offline, RMAH) but I have reluctantly forgiven these things and enjoyed the game nonetheless, for almost 100 hours now.

Regarding people who want D3 to be like D2 - I feel your pain, but keep in mind most other RPGs this gen (even last gen) have been streamlined and made more casual, get used to it, it's big-business gaming now that video games sell millions of units. There's always the indie scene if you're disgruntled.

I agree.

The game was advertised and marketed to be a sequel or "successor" to Diablo 2 so people that say otherwise are wrong. Do a search and read up, they never mentioned taking the series in a new direction, but that's exactly what they did.

I like the game and enjoy playing it, whether I play it as long as I did D2 remains to be seen. I think Blizzard has heard, loud and clear, the complaints and issues people have with the game. The question now is, will they addresss some of them?
Reply Quote
The game was advertised and marketed to be a sequel or "successor" to Diablo 2 so people that say otherwise are wrong. Do a search and read up, they never mentioned taking the series in a new direction, but that's exactly what they did.

I like the game and enjoy playing it, whether I play it as long as I did D2 remains to be seen. I think Blizzard has heard, loud and clear, the complaints and issues people have with the game. The question now is, will they addresss some of them?

References? I think it is very easy to generalize a game based on random complaints from various people on this forum, however upon viewing these said people you'd see that most of them don't have any credibility at all in their claims.

All in all, i think the game went the right direction. It has so much potential in an expansion, that i believe they would be able to deliver flawlessly. It still needs more ground work in some key areas as of now, but as always Blizzard is known for bringing their games up-to-par in patches.

I like that Blizzard took the initiative to change an aging system that caters solely to very few people. True that Diablo 2 was good during its time however, times do change and so does majority of the player base. Also, D2's player database is nowhere near what D3 has been.

If Diablo 3 was like Diablo 2, we would have forgotten about it in a couple of hours just like others that have inflated the genre.

However, if you still want a Diablo 2 style of gaming, TL2 or Titan Quest Immortal Throne are really good games that will cater to this old experience.

Overall, i think the game has been great even after months of playing. My friends (even the women who introduced me to the game) still continue to play it to this day after their working hours.

If you truly want to enjoy the game, don't follow cliche' builds. Try something new and make it work. :)
Edited by ZRaiyne#6337 on 1/4/2013 6:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
I guess a lot of people expected this game to make them 13 years old all over again.

But then they got the game and realized they're still the same miserable and jaded adult who hates everything that is new.

Obviously you are a 13 year old with an inflated ego if you can't figure out "people have differnt oppinions about things and there is no point about being a butthead about it."

But, thanks for playing.
Reply Quote
No offense intended but that is a terribly uninformed video and rather than labeling everyone as dumb, you should actually look at why the rage is occurring (you allude to a few aspects in your video but obviously haven't put the pieces together for yourself yet).

The one thing you are correct on is that there is a fairly large troll element in the community. This is happening due to:

- Lack of developer feedback/admission/discussion to forum raised issues.
- Lack of any acknowledgement/changes/fixes to address minor usability issues (identify all/gem crafting for example).
- Lack of acknowledgement/changes/fixes that address the fundamental issues which are recycled here on the forum daily.

There is a very different tone on the path of exile and twilight forums as they have active developer involvement.

The following is pretty common knowledge which most people will agree with:

- The diablo series have all been dungeon grind games
- People have continued to play diablo games after the main story arc (endgame)
- The endgame turned into the real game for some players.
- People enjoy options in building their characters
- People enjoy options in gear and customizing to their character builds

D3 delivered

- No character skills/stats customization.
- Linear (on rails) character skill/stat progression, My WD is the same as your WD
- The only differentiation between characters is gear and selecting from a pool of skills
- An auction house so you could get the gear you wanted (if you so chose) or sell the gear you didn't want.

All of the above works just fine IF the game doesn't have an endgame. Read that sentence again until you understand it because it applies to just about every issue that everyone has with d3. If you stopped playing at 60, or plugged slowly through inferno for a while, the game would be fine albeit a bit lacking on content.

Nobody can argue that the blizzard developers are a smart bunch of cookies with lots of top tier game design experience. They've done some great work in a lot of areas with D3. The only way that such a smart bunch of guys/gals in a formal development process would get caught out with the obvious terrible issues that the game currently has is if their design goal was significantly different from what everyone thought it was.

Shock Horror! - the game was designed this way. And by that, I mean "There is no endgame". All the endgame work has been done since the game was released which is why the existing limitations (there by design) are coming to the fore.

Current game design is about delivering a polished experience which gets you X hours of quality gaming. Blizzard played it safe with the design goal to deliver that and they didn't do a bad job overall. Level a few characters, have some fun and then come back for the expansion. Pretty straight forward really.

After all, aside from D2, how many similar games have a solid endgame that aren't MMO's? Could that be a factor in why d2 did so well (and sales for d3)? and why people are disappointed?

I happily play d3 and enjoy it for what it is. It is a disappointment that with slightly different design goals it could have been a truly fantastic game with practically limitless replayability. The plus side, is it (simply by being the 800lb gorilla) has created almost a perfect storm for other games (twilight 2/POE). Without d3, I doubt twilight2 would have sold as well, and POE has received a lot of attention also.

I don't really care who the developer is of a game. I just hope that down the track, there is a game similar to this, with enough customization and replayability that I can enjoy playing it for a few years. D2 fit that bill and a lot of people were hoping d3 did too.
Edited by gote#1306 on 1/4/2013 6:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 12:11 PMPosted by Ender
DIII is a completely new direction to the series, I'll wait to see if things pan out.
agreed, The direction D3 took has already shown in other games and services blizzard is still on top of their game, The thing is some may think they changed too much from the the D2 formula. I think most of the changes with D3 are great. Two expacs are planned This game will be legendary when the first expac is released, right now is it just a good game. and people only expect legendary games from blizzard. That is the only thing i can think that makes sense, why people call this game disappointing.

I almost believe if this game is made by runic or some other Dev studio with no change at all people would have a change of heart and actually LOVE the game. and not denounce it as much as they do now. People love to bash AAA games. Many people have different expectations for what D3 should have been. And many people play this game. Many expected all of their wishes where true for this game. and they where wrong. The thing is any game will not please every one. If this game was D2 with New story and new graphics im sure people would still complain that too little has changed.

Really this game is great. The fan base of blizzard is still huge. Just people are getting scared of announcing it, and are afraid of being flamed or trolled.

I really like this game, and people consistantly hating on Diablo 7.5 months out really say something about it. I almost feel that this game will be talked about for years. I have a fealling this community will keep talking about D3 on these forums for years. I am also sure many MANY people play it like 100k peak players.
Reply Quote
The problem is the bar was set WAY TOO HIGH. D1 and D2 were both completely revolutionary games for their time.

D3 fell flat on its face trying to live up to the expectations. There is nothing innovative about this game. Less builds, less stat viability, less items, less depth.

+1
Reply Quote
Games not that bad people.....

Watch it then comment if you want, Ill be ignoreing the wehated3trolls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f5Ebcs_A4U&list=UUoab4ctJcfFKSTmQSNPkM4w&index=1

"You're all dumb and I have the only opinion that matters. If you don't see things how I do, you're wrong."

Nice video, kid. Thumb down
Reply Quote
What's the point of comparing, if not for your own satisfaction? I wouldn't compare The Dark Knight Rises to Batman: Forever because both movies are different interpretations of the same hero. Considering entertainment is subjective, I try not to be critical, which was my point. If your comparisons are constructive in regards to your agenda, by all means continue.

It was known from the very begining that The Dark Night series of Batmans was a retelling. Therefore, for your comparison to be valid, you'd need to compare Batman Returns vs. Batman Forever... if you recall, Batman Forever was widely rejected by fans/audiences, much the same way that Diablo 3 has been recieved.

The way the game was marketed, made it look like an actual sequel to Diablo 2, not an "interpretation". What was delivered was a "shiny", shameful cash grab. If they were making a completely new Diablo experience, they shouldn't have labeled it Diablo 3 (just to reel in pocket books) and named it The Dark Diablo Rises instead.

*edit*
The same way the new hack & slash Metal Gear is not called Metal Gear 5, it's called Metal Gear Rising ;)
Edited by Arsynz#1782 on 1/4/2013 9:37 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]