Diablo® III

In defense of Diablo 3

Your video is factually incorrect.

You don't have to be so defensive. There is such a thing as being fair.
Edited by hampster#1586 on 1/4/2013 10:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Ender

Changes to the game will be related to the flow of money to Blizzard or lack thereof, not to the positive or negative state of the D3 forum community.
Edited by Otis#1467 on 1/4/2013 10:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 11:29 AMPosted by Gio
Watch it then comment if you want, Ill be ignoreing the wehated3trolls.

So, basically, you're saying you'll be ignoring (no e by the way) the comments of anyone who doesn't like the game as you do.

It's not a forums you should be taking this to, but an echo chamber.
Reply Quote
As reasonable as the OP's vid? Some of the people defending D3 are just as counter productive as the most idiotic "hate" rants.

Seriously though, did you see the early dev interviews? It painted D3 in a completely different light. "Betrayed", doesn't really express how I feel. "Duped" is more like it. Like when you buy an album by one of your favorite bands... you wait eagerly for the new material, thinking it's going to be better, (or at least "as good as") the last one, only to find out they've radically changed for the worse, basically sold-out just for the quick bucks. It's a bummer really.

I agree that yelling and screaming in walls of text don't help anything, but if people are upset and disappointed after waiting so long for the game to be released... incomplete... and unbalanced, (remember 1.03?) then they're going to voice themselves how they want. It may seem exsessive and unreasonable, but that's the way it goes. If the game wasn't so lacking, then a majority of the feedback wouldn't be so volatile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrli-by8oOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E452S_fJwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OnYQ9UCSP8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af6o7LvA5pA

^ Is this how Diablo 3 is at all?
Reply Quote

Or, it's a sequel. A direct sequel. Without even so much as a subtitle. Not even like Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness -> Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. Just straight up Diablo I -> Diablo II -> Diablo III.

Comparing the game isn't any different than comparing movie sequels, book sequels, or any other artistic medium/franchise with multiple installments. You can, for example, directly compare the Halo franchise installments, even though Halo 4 is from a completely different company. The Harry Potter film series changes directors and screenwriters. As does the Star Trek film series, and the James Bond series.

You can compare the Guitar Hero franchise with incredible similarity to the Diablo franchise. RedOctane and Harmonix together developed Guitar Hero I and II, then RedOctane was bought by Activision, who through Neversoft released Guitar Hero III, while Harmonix split off to create the Rock Band series. Just because Guitar Hero III didn't have Harmonix on board like they did with I and II, and only some of the RedOctane team remained with Activision and Neversoft, doesn't mean you can't compare Guitar Hero I and II with III and later installments. After all, they're all Guitar Hero games. And each installment in the franchise is a direct sequel or expansion/offshoot.

Neither does it follow that just because the creators of Diablo I and II, Blizard North, folded and Activision acquired Blizzard Entertainment and produced Diablo III, that you can't or shouldn't compare them.

What's the point of comparing, if not for your own satisfaction? I wouldn't compare The Dark Knight Rises to Batman: Forever because both movies are different interpretations of the same hero. Considering entertainment is subjective, I try not to be critical, which was my point. If your comparisons are constructive in regards to your agenda, by all means continue.

And my point is that Diablo III is not a different interpretation of the series, as you have claimed. It is a sequel, a direct numerical successor of the same franchise. It is not like comparing Batman Forever to Dark Knight Rises, because those are not direct sequels, but are in fact different interpretations, self-contained series, etc. The Dark Knight Trilogy is a reboot of the franchise, not a series of sequels. Comparing DII to DIII is, rather, like comparing Dark Knight to Dark Knight Rises, which is totally legitimate.
Reply Quote
Games not that bad people.....

One of the main problems with the community

Lets say the game isn't bad or is good (when it clearly isn't). If people keep saying this, Blizzard will not not what to fix or address and your essentially left with what you have now.

It's people like you that are wrecking the game for everybody else. If you like the game, then fine, but don't spout your disillusioned opinions on here and screw it up for everybody else. Just play the game and don't come on the forums.. that is unless the game can't hold your interest.
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 01:17 PMPosted by Jorlen
Regarding people who want D3 to be like D2 - I feel your pain, but keep in mind most other RPGs this gen (even last gen) have been streamlined and made more casual, get used to it, it's big-business gaming now that video games sell millions of units. There's always the indie scene if you're disgruntled.

You are right unfortunately.

Hope new gaming companies will emerge and start to create fun games again that need to be played using your brain.
Reply Quote
View profile
I wouldn't say the RMAH "legitimized" things...however, it did put one thing into the spotlight: the fact that idiots wanted to be considered elite so badly that they were willing to throw down hundreds of real dollars to buy in-game items without thinking about the consequences, the main consequence being that when you buy ENDGAME gear, you make FINDING that same gear less rewarding.

Let's say I buy an entire Zunimassa set on the AH, window shop till I find the exact rolls I want...then I find one Zunimassa piece out in the field, with rolls that aren't ideal. Obviously, it's gonna look sucky.

So far, I've bought one set piece on the AH, a Chantodo's Force, I think, couldn't have been all that great because I have other gear in my stash that I've FOUND that's better than that. But the point is, there are still a bunch of sets I'm yet to find, once I get to higher MP levels and higher Paragon levels.

People BUY gear (with either real money or gold), then they wonder why they aren't finding upgrades. Gee, I wonder why.

That's one big thing I never see when trolls hit the forums complaining that the game is unrewarding...how much time and effort was spent in the Auction House buying stuff they should've found. "But drop rates suck!" Yeah, if your MF, MP and Plvl are all stupidly low. Hell, even if they're low, you can still get good stuff. My level 53 Softcore Barb got to Hell this morning, found a Blackguard legendary. Not epic or godly, far from it, but it was still an upgrade. Most people would've found that and said, "crap, won't sell for more than 100k, if that." But it upgraded what I had on my weapon slot, and that's what mattered.

I like this game and look forward to expansions coming out. If the expansions do next to nothing to add any depth, then I guess at that point, I'll call it and start winding down my interest because the cap on how good it can get will have been reached. However, if the expansions give the game more depth, more quests, more things to do, more skills to try out, more classes to build and work on, etc., etc., D3 can be what D2 was. I'm confident.

because you are not are the lv that 1 upgrade cost 100 million

expansion make things worst . new item new lv come and old item become worthless

what remain? gold remain....what can a poor person do? you cant farm what you want but Tons in AH just you are not that rich to have.... what next?
Edited by MADTHUNDER2#3452 on 1/5/2013 3:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
OK... my opinions on comments in the video..

"which means its the same thing over and over and over again"

actually it is not the same as D2: , if you had contrallable skills and stats , you could actually play over and over and over again, with a different character that has different abilities different play styles etc.
D2 also had randomised maps.

all the people who picked up D3 thinking it would be something different, you people are dumb, its the same game

i think u will find most critics problem with the game is the gameplay and mechanics are so vastly different. As a player who focussed on character creation, there is actually nothing to do in D3, whereas i replayed D2 countless times making up new builds . ( no cookie cutters here )

if you run through d2 you have absolutely no clue whats happening

actually if you dont skip through character dialogue, not read the books and not watch cinematics you may miss the fact you are following a plague of evil following a dark wanderer. The purposeful pacing and deliberate unveiling of the plot left a lot of room for suprise and excitement - D1 proabably did this the best... "Freshhh meeeaaaat "

in this game you at least have an idea

you dont have an option.. you have to watch floating heads explain what they are about to do to you before they do it and remove any suprise or shock of what you are about to enconter. After you have seen it once, no option to turn off the forced dialogue scenes, over and over and over again.

the community is just dumb

nice way to formulate a bi-partisan argument

when they dont even play the game, and they are still crying about it, theres a problem

for sure... that says to me there were a lot of people who are still trying to understand how the game went in the direction it did.

once you get to paragon ... those items sell for a lot

some people used to play diablo series for fun, not to trade.

the community that was in D2 is long gone... the new community want new things to do

for good reason.. there is nothing to do in D3... its not the same as D1 or D2. The old community wants some of the old Diablo feeling back, the new community dont know what they want as they dont know what a good Diablo game is.

"all those who left prematurely should be ashamed of themselves cos good things take time"

im more of the opinion the dev team needs to do some soul searching for taking so much time to make something that is not so good - with a plethora of excuses that reek of business decisions... ( almost every change in lead up to beta and going gold was the removal of features for some blanket statement reasoning about what was fun.. )

its significantly better than when it was released

but still a significant distance from where it should have been given starting point was D2...
Reply Quote
You are right unfortunately.Hope new gaming companies will emerge and start to create fun games again that need to be played using your brain.

thats what kickstarter is there for.. many older game designers who got frustrated with the state of the industry and are trying to make something on there own.. hopefully brings about some great games...

im personally VERY excited about a certain space faring game by one of my favourite game designers that just broke some crowd funding records.. Dev team actively engaging with the gamers on regular basis about where the game is heading and what can be expected..

very refreshing
Reply Quote
As reasonable as the OP's vid? Some of the people defending D3 are just as counter productive as the most idiotic "hate" rants.

Seriously though, did you see the early dev interviews? It painted D3 in a completely different light. "Betrayed", doesn't really express how I feel. "Duped" is more like it. Like when you buy an album by one of your favorite bands... you wait eagerly for the new material, thinking it's going to be better, (or at least "as good as") the last one, only to find out they've radically changed for the worse, basically sold-out just for the quick bucks. It's a bummer really.

I agree that yelling and screaming in walls of text don't help anything, but if people are upset and disappointed after waiting so long for the game to be released... incomplete... and unbalanced, (remember 1.03?) then they're going to voice themselves how they want. It may seem exsessive and unreasonable, but that's the way it goes. If the game wasn't so lacking, then a majority of the feedback wouldn't be so volatile.

Your innocent naievity is surprising.

Did you take everything blizzard said prerelease as gospel?
For an in development game?

In development!

Little advice little boy. In big projects in software development things always change. Features get pulled features get added. It is in a state of constant flux.

You kids pulling up these old YouTube vids crying the game is different look stupid. Stop doing it.
Reply Quote

In development!

Do I expect a company, any company, to by and large deliver what they promised to deliver?

Yes, actually.
Reply Quote

In development!

from blizzard... yeah.. we all foolishly believed ... they have always come through on what they promised...
until d3 ...
Reply Quote
Games not that bad people.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f5Ebcs_A4U&list=UUoab4ctJcfFKSTmQSNPkM4w&index=1

0:04 - "A lot of people are really angry at this game and have been for a while and I don't really exactly understand why. Actually I think they're all dumb."

You start with this and expect me to take you seriously? Before coming to the conclusion you provide actual facts, at least convincing evidence supporting your claim. Where is it? I only hear your opinion without arguments to back it up. You sir, are a shining example of stupidity in this community. What's even more funny is you having a problem with the community being dumb. Well how about you start with yourself? Try this again WITH the facts/evidence to support your claim.

There are a lot of people here who rant and whine, me included, but who actually give a damn about the game and want it to become better. Those people also come up with idea's on how to improve the game. If you can't see what is wrong with this game and you're happy, fine! Go play, and leave us, the people who have a problem with it, alone. You don't see me whining to you for liking the game, do you? Not everyone who !@#$%es about this game does so for the sake of hating. Get your facts straight.
Edited by Pr1m3v1l#2866 on 1/5/2013 8:44 AM PST
Reply Quote

Your innocent naievity is surprising.

In development!

Little advice little boy. In big projects in software development things always change. Features get pulled features get added. It is in a state of constant flux.

You kids pulling up these old YouTube vids crying the game is different look stupid. Stop doing it.

Kid... get back to bed, before you get grounded... and make sure you don't wet the bed this time -.-)
Reply Quote
It's not a bad game but it is a very boring game now, one you reach the top or even mid-high end of gear the game is so trivialized none of the mechanics in the game actually matter. When I was actually playing earlier today I actually though to myself I could actually be getting some real work done.

Summery of D3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eyWdH6i9N8
Edited by SWAV#1980 on 1/5/2013 9:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
01/04/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Ignatius
I guess a lot of people expected this game to make them 13 years old all over again.

I was 34 when I first played D3. So, no.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/05/2013 08:43 AMPosted by Pr1m3v1l
Not everyone who !@#$%es about this game does so for the sake of hating. Get your facts straight.

Amen. Most of us used to be avid Blizzard fans.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]