Diablo® III

looking for: sympathy-or a smack to the head.

So I found a Skorn last night ... my first Skorn find ever:

1353 dps / 296 int / 191% CD / 5.8% LS / Socket

Found a similar one in AH going for over 170m, and confirmation from the WD community that it could go for over 200m easy. O.o

So, around 3:00 a.m., I listed it with a starting bid of 125m. Never...ever...list such important transactions when you're dizzy tired...

Because you might do something stupid and tab down to include 125m as buyout price...as I did. *facepalm* I checked my zeros, double checked, and then counted them again for a third time. I went to bed content that all was well, happily thinking I would have bids galore in the morning. I woke up this morning with the smart idea that I would also post in the trade forums. Then I log on. And it's gone. For 125m (before Blizz's cut). That's when I realized my mistake. Ugh... I could've started drinking. I almost cried... Lol.

It was sickening to know I had made such a miserably stupid mistake. And it's not even about the gold loss...not entirely. It's mostly about having the very rare GREAT drop, and doing something pretty stupid with it. !!!!!

That's when I had my next realization: I have far too much time and emotion invested in this game. I'm a mother of two, with a life not at all conducive to the amount if time, energy, and heart I've dedicated to Diablo. I'm not even a gamer. Yet I have almost 400 hours on my monk, play till 3 a.m. (sleep is sacrificed in the name of Ytar...not to mention art and laundry...), and somehow find even *more* time to make it to the forums??

<sigh> ... I'm sure that at some point today, things will 'click', and it will all make sense again...I'll have every illogical motive I have manifested for my incessant playing justified once again, and I'll be right back to slaying demons tonight.

But for now, I spill all to my friendly monk community. Thanks for being here. :)

tl;dr: This is a ranting, soul-bearing, chick flick.
Reply Quote
I accidently sold the Echoing Fury I paid 430m for, for 250m(pre cut) thinking it was my old one.
This happened yesterday, the buyer then resold it for $180 on rmah
I was pissed, but hey, that's what happens when you get careless!

Hope this makes you feel better, I lost 200-400m depending on how you look at it
Reply Quote
Well, could be worse, you could have missed a zero and ended up with 20 million instead of 125! :D
Reply Quote
I love chick flicks! You seem like an awesome mom and you have a nice monk. So cheer up! Stuff like this always happens and I don't know if you believe in karma but I like to think that something good always comes after something bad happens. It may not be exactly right after, but it'll happen. =D
Reply Quote
Isn't it funny how the brain works.

You had nothing, and could get 200M+ (or so you thought)

Instead you got about 100M after tax, and you're sad about it.

Maybe you should rekindle your love for art, and take some more time to do laundry - or vice versa if that floats your boat :)
Reply Quote
Thanks guys :)

@Azakiah: it doesn't exactly make me feel better to learn of your misfortune, but misery does selfishly love company. Sorry for your loss, too! :)

Piffle, you're right...it definitely could have been worse! I still made out damn good, but yeah...my heightened emotions made me question my (unhealthy?) addiction to the game. Lol
Reply Quote
Pure sympathy. I was actually on the run with her when she found the skorn and it was a very exciting find. But I also agree with Piffle -- at least you counted your zeros! It would suck if you ended up selling for 12.5M instead of 125M.
Reply Quote
Could be worse. The only seriously good item I ever found was worth 100m and it sold it for 10m as soon as I listed it. Yep, I missed a zero. It happens. I laugh it off.

You probably made some kid happy that they could afford a cool new toy they didn't think they were going to be able to afford. The only thing to feel bad about is that it was an Int Skorn, and so some grubby Wizard is benefiting from this instead of your fellow Monks. :)

Ultimately it's a game, though. It's just pixels on a screen. In the time since I lost 90m mis-listing that armor, I've probably given away more than 90m of gear to friends and people I've met. Pixels on a screen... When you think about it, you're stressing because you "only" found a 125m drop. Now is not the time for tears! Now is the time to finally gear up that Monk and start kickin' !@#!

Also, it's totally OK to get a bit wrapped up in this game and community if it's bringing you joy. I think about this game WAY too much, but it's OK so long as I'm enjoying myself. (At least that's what I tell myself)
Reply Quote
You all are awesome. Thanks for the support in my trivial time of need. :) I <3 monks.

I love to share, too, Demi. Isn't it great? I'm always scouring stash for stuff my friends can use, or looking for a lower level monk to share items with. Always hoping I overlooked something for my dear lightning monk friend, Nameless, too. :)

I recently had the idea to join pub games, pack loaded with some legendary drops I've had, and just share the wealth. Run around dropping leg's everywhere. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to soon. Sounds like fun to me!

Anyway, totally happy with 100m...totally. Many forces collided at once this morning that eventually culminated into my to;dr post. :)
Reply Quote
My condolences! But you sound like you're doing better now :)
Reply Quote
I get totally bummed out every time I forget about / don't win the bid war on an item because, before I get it, I start imagining all the fun things I will do with it and am thus let down when I don't get to do those fun things!

Over the course of my D3 career I have made many "oops I didn't mean to sell that" mistakes and they do feel terrible. However, in a day or two you will forget how bad that feels and instead focus on how exciting it is to get to spend 100m+ gold on a new item!!!

Grats on your great find and best of luck in your future adventures.

-Druin, the happy monk
Reply Quote
View profile
12/17/2012 09:02 AMPosted by Bane
I recently had the idea to join pub games, pack loaded with some legendary drops I've had, and just share the wealth. Run around dropping leg's everywhere. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to soon. Sounds like fun to me!

If you ever do this I'd love to get in on the fun!

I have one mule full of useless (in my eyes) legendaries and sets, and almost half a bank tab too. I'd rather give them out to people who could actually use them, than salvaging or vendoring them.
Reply Quote
I think a "Diablo Mom" is so much better than a "Soccer Mom".

Glad you got what you did, Piffle is right, could have been off by a zero. GL and keep mowin them down!
Reply Quote
12/17/2012 07:59 AMPosted by Bane
sleep is sacrificed in the name of Ytar

The gods have harsh demands for their chosen.
Reply Quote
Which hand do you use to spank your kids?

The hand of Ytar!!
Reply Quote
12/17/2012 11:54 AMPosted by Druin
Over the course of my D3 career I have made many "oops I didn't mean to sell that" mistakes and they do feel terrible. However, in a day or two you will forget how bad that feels and instead focus on how exciting it is to get to spend 100m+ gold on a new item!!!

You're right ... the despair brought on by magnificent oops moments is only temporary. I think this is my biggest, but I have had, um, several. I am looking forward to a new ammy, though. ^.^

12/17/2012 12:17 PMPosted by gotaplanstan

If you ever do this I'd love to get in on the fun!

I have one mule full of useless (in my eyes) legendaries and sets, and almost half a bank tab too. I'd rather give them out to people who could actually use them, than salvaging or vendoring them.

That's how I feel. At the very least, they could make a little gold from them. So yeah ... I plan to do this soon, and it'd be fun to have an accomplice. :)

12/17/2012 12:21 PMPosted by Matajugador
I think a "Diablo Mom" is so much better than a "Soccer Mom".

Haha ... that's great! <3

Though I believe my daughter would beg to differ... :/

12/17/2012 12:25 PMPosted by Seaboots
sleep is sacrificed in the name of Ytar

The gods have harsh demands for their chosen.

lol :) Indeed they must.
Reply Quote
smack to the head
Reply Quote
12/17/2012 05:02 PMPosted by jco310
smack to the head

Lol ... I wondered when I was to receive the other end of my request!
Reply Quote
Another mom of two here. Yes, this game steals time from laundry and hobbies! I was supposed to have something knit up in time for Christmas and it is barely on the needles... Anyway, just want to send some sympathy as that truly sucks, but yeah, at least you didn't forget a 0! Enjoy your gold.
Reply Quote
12/17/2012 06:03 PMPosted by Sinafae
Another mom of two here. Yes, this game steals time from laundry and hobbies! I was supposed to have something knit up in time for Christmas and it is barely on the needles... Anyway, just want to send some sympathy as that truly sucks, but yeah, at least you didn't forget a 0! Enjoy your gold.

So so nice to meet another mom here! :) Oh, I am feeling you on the Christmas pressure ... it was my intent to have some block prints already pulled by now, and I haven't even begun the carving. O.o Yet, here I am. Here. In the forums. Lol

Good luck with your knitting!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]