Diablo® III

Skill Affixes - Build Potential?

Problem: Skill affixes in Diablo 3, then only way to add to your skill build, are poorly designed in two ways (though I'm sure some would say more).

1: Skill affixes are limited to a number of skills.

2: Skill affixes are limited to "enhancing" a particular skill in only one way (like crit %, lower CD, lower resource cost, etc...).

Essentially only a few skills affixes are actually useful. Critical hit chance is probably the best followed by damage, reduced cost, and then cool downs (of course this is subject to a player's build).

My possible solution: Allow all skills to be available on skill affixes (not passives) and have multiple benefits available for the skills so that players can have access to more viable builds. Also simplify the affix on items so that it will be more like + Random Demon Hunter Skill Bonus rather then list all of the skills and different rolls which wastes room and space on the item. Also perhaps allow rare rings/amulets to roll skill affixes.

Example: Say my Demon Hunter finds an item that has + Random Demon Hunter Skill Bonus and it rolls Rain of Vengeance.

Initially the bonus for Rain of Vengeance could be something like *Lowers Cool Down by X and increases damage by Y*

Now if you find another item with the same Rain of Vengeance affix perhaps another bonus could be applied that is more visual. Something like *For X seconds chilling Ice Arrows will fall from the sky with Y% chance to freeze once you use this skill dealing Z% damage*. So even though you might use a rune that lasts for 5 seconds this additional bonus might even continue for a longer duration.

Also to make build diversity/customization even more favorable, skill affixes on items would produce TWO affixes rather then one. So my Demon Hunter could have the Rain of Vengeance AND a Sentry bonus to my skills.

This way seeing a skill affix come up on an item won't be a chance of disappointment, but could allow the player to see the opportunity in changing their build and seeing an improvement from that.

TLDR: -Allow all skills to roll on skill affixes (not passives).
-Allow each skill affix to add more then one bonus (so for meteor you could get Less Arcane Cost + More % Damage.
-Also if you have another skill affix that you already have it would add an additional effect to that skill (for meteor the impact would make the meteor also burst into fragments that deal X% amount of damage each).
-Rolling a skill affix would instead give you two different skill affix bonuses (for the same class) rather then just one, increasing build diversity even further and making skill affixes more useful.
-Perhaps allow rare rings and amulets the ability to also roll skill affixes.
Reply Quote
That's an awesome idea, would certainly expand the build possibilities.

Many skills, like DH's Fan of Knives, or WD's Fetishes, are severely impacted by their cooldown, for instance.

A bunch of other skills have too low damage (ice armor - frozen storm is an example) to be viable, and skill affixes could change this.

Plus, rares would slowly gain more importance as they could roll very useful affixes. :)
Reply Quote
That's an awesome idea, would certainly expand the build possibilities.

Many skills, like DH's Fan of Knives, or WD's Fetishes, are severely impacted by their cooldown, for instance.

A bunch of other skills have too low damage (ice armor - frozen storm is an example) to be viable, and skill affixes could change this.

Plus, rares would slowly gain more importance as they could roll very useful affixes. :)

Thanks for the support!

Honestly I don't know why Blizzard has only a few skills available for the skill affixes on items.

Plus having more bonuses in skill affixes (so more benefits given towards that single skill) will allow skills be far more useful perhaps in different ways.
Reply Quote
i fox wid it
Reply Quote
Thanks for the support!

Honestly I don't know why Blizzard has only a few skills available for the skill affixes on items.

Plus having more bonuses in skill affixes (so more benefits given towards that single skill) will allow skills be far more useful perhaps in different ways.

1 Word. EXPANSION
Blizzard is more than likely well aware of what d3 lacks, why give them a complete game and have to provide new fresh ideas in the future when you can just leave a few things out and add it back in later? Sad part is, blizzard will add in everything that should've been in already and will be praised for it.
Edited by Utukka#1683 on 12/26/2012 6:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
+1

Feeling like your character is the best at what it does is a staple for customization. It’s all about, standing out and feeling better than the person next to you in a particular area. Right now, it’s only based on optimal item stats. Players are better or worse than you, and that’s it. Now I want to emphasize something that already exists in this game but is only hit the tip of the iceberg.

The item stat that “Adds Damage to Specific Skills” would change everything if players were able to stack it. Currently you would be lucky to find this item stat for a favorite skill if it even existed... It’s only available to roll on one or two of your items, if any. Allow these stats to roll on ALL items, for ALL skills, for ALL classes! This stat could compete on the same level with Crit and Primary Stats in terms of damage. This could revolutionize the way we stack damage in Diablo that would give a sense of originality. Imagine stacking this with your favorite skill and blowing everyone else out the water in that specific area.

This may seem like it’s counterproductive to character adaptability because it may require one to re-gear in order to completely change builds. I don’t think this will be an issue because everything in Diablo 3 actually supports this type of itemization. There is the option of switching between rune abilities and re-gearing is easier than ever with the convenience of the Auction House. Above all else, there would still be other options available to advance your characters.

I think this would bring the community together. One would value their teammate for outshining them in specific areas, rather than comparing them to one’s self by labeling them as better, or worse, and feeling less efficient and wasting time playing with them. Players will no longer be measured in terms of how many optimal stats they stack, but in terms of identity, commitment, and creativity. This would not only balance item stats, but also level the playing field. I believe the following itemization suggestions should be available to those who wish to seek it.

This was taken from: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004016367

Itemization needs what you are saying in your post...
Edited by OldSchool#1359 on 12/26/2012 7:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/26/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Calamity
You start out with say, for example, 7/14 of the possible skill affects being useful. Throw in 50 more, and you might only get 5-10 useful ones. You just changed the possibility of rolling a useful affect from 50% to nearly 20%. Then you would have more people crying about useless rolls than already exist.

I disagree, this would add so much depth to itemization. This is Diablo...
Reply Quote
Unfortunately, while your idea has merit, it wouldn't expand the usefulness of skills. Players would still use the best skills their class has, and just try to max out the skill bonuses for said skill.

While this would add depth to itemisation, it would also create a situation of more RNG coming into play. In most cases the random skill wouldn't be a skill you use (even more so, if it were able to roll on rings/amulets whcih aren't class specific), as such you'd have an affix wasted on a skill roll, which could very likely be a skill that isn't even your class, let alone used (or part of your build).

Making skills useful needs to start with the actual skill, not some random affix on a piece of gear.

Word.
Reply Quote
Hopefully things like this will be added.

I figure stuff like that would be added later on once the game has time to see where the usage of skills and runes will actually go.

Also, I think there should be more emphasis on the usage of some skills with no rune whatsoever, as well as the basic attack.
Reply Quote
Great Idea!

Interesting enough I've put this exact idea in about 200 threads I've posted in!
Reply Quote
1 Word. EXPANSION

I would feel really lucky if this idea was implemented in the expansion.

I would also feel really lucky if a Blue even responds to this thread.

I'll cross my fingers and hope that Blizzard actually pays valid attention to the forums, but my capacity for hope is near depletion when it comes to the connection with Blizzard in any form.

"Wait for expansion" is a nice thing to say, but when their are soooooooooo many improvements for this game that are expansion worthy, the chances of just one of them appearing is slim.

Skill affixes are already in the game, I'm just suggesting that they be improved. If anything paragon leveling, monster power, and the ubers should've been in the expansion since they weren't in the game at the start.

Edit: And if anything Blizzard should have focused on PVP rather then the above since it was advertised on the box to be out "sometime" after release.
Edited by DeMasked#1233 on 12/26/2012 11:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
If you want to know how to do this properly...

Remember when the runes had colours before the game got released? Well each rune starts at +5 skill or something. Then the affixes actually increase the runes for certain classes, skills, or rune colours. This will diversify by making people want to 'stick with the red runes' if they are getting a lot of +red rune skill stuff, or not because they have a lot of + wizard teleport rune skill or something. Now the trick is to only have runes that start off 'enhancing' a skill, but at some point of epicnessness by adding a crap ton of skills to that rune, it becomes insane and borderline outrageous. Sure this can be done with stuff that enhances damage, but let me use mirror image as an example.

If the number of mirror images can increase as high as something like 14, then you'd have an army of tanks, albeit do no damage, but this would be kind of insane for just 1 skill.

Another could increase the damage of each mirror image to become much higher than your damage, and this would vastly change the way the skill is used.

Once any skill, even something as not used as this can reach a point where it can become very powerful (either of these in pvp would actually be useful) to the point of epicness, then you will automatically create build diversity. Not just that, but then when people want to switch skills, they kind of need to completely change their gear.

Speaking of gear, resistance should have a cap at +75 like D2, that actually created planning how to reach this cap, and allows +max resist to be a new stat that not everyone but some people would really go for. And for goodness sakes, remove physical resistance, that IS armor.
Reply Quote
Very good idea, it will be really fun if BLIZZ gonna do it ! :)
Reply Quote
My idea is a little different. I would like to see the skill affixes changed where they would only affect skills without a rune on them. This way you could be able to use gear that would have a lot of skill affixes on them. The power of those affixes would take the place of the offensive and defensive stats we use now. Meaning our performance would not suffer. This would give us something different to look for in gear.
Reply Quote
12/26/2012 07:45 PMPosted by Calamity

I disagree, this would add so much depth to itemization. This is Diablo...

No. It would just create a greater disparity between good items and absolute trash. Making skills useful needs to start with the actual skill, not some random affix on a piece of gear.

The only thing that creates disparity is primary Stats and the retirement of optimal item stats.
Reply Quote
12/26/2012 07:18 PMPosted by OldSchool
The item stat that “Adds Damage to Specific Skills” would change everything if players were able to stack it. Currently you would be lucky to find this item stat for a favorite skill if it even existed... It’s only available to roll on one or two of your items, if any.

Currently the "best" skill affixes are the ones that have 8% critical hit chance, now that is really good but I don't want to just stack 8% critical hit chance because then all players would be doing that. I would rather have the skill affix give additional bonuses perhaps starting with weaker bonuses but gaining strength as you stack them (to say... a max of 3 -- getting an item with + skill would give 2 different skill bonuses so it would be easier to reach 3 in some cases). So checking your profile, say you have + 3 bonuses to Caltrops. The first bonus could be lowering the cost of caltrops by 2 (so if you have the cheap caltrops rune only costs 2), second bonus could be making the caltrops area circumference larger by perhaps 30-50%, and the last bonus would be something cool like giving the caltrops an initial explosion once first activated dealing a % amount of damage in one hit. All runes would then benefit from these bonuses as well so having the 80% slow rune would make it easier to cast, larger area in slowing enemies and deal some damage as well.

Allow these stats to roll on ALL items, for ALL skills, for ALL classes! This stat could compete on the same level with Crit and Primary Stats in terms of damage. This could revolutionize the way we stack damage in Diablo that would give a sense of originality. Imagine stacking this with your favorite skill and blowing everyone else out the water in that specific area.

I'm not sure on the whole "ALL items". 13 item slots with + skill affix giving two bonuses (I say two bonuses for one affix because that would make the stat comparable to more desired stats). Allowing class specific items, weapons, shields, rings and amulets would be good enough imo. Perhaps 2 handed melee weapons could have 4 for one skill affix to make them more comparable to using 2 1h weapons or 1h/shield combo. Anyways, again I don't want stacking + skill affixes to be all about damage, but merely building up the bonuses to the skill in different ways. Again stacking + 8 critical hit % to strafe or something would get old really fast imo. I would rather have skill affixes merely state which skill is boosted and when you use that skill new text would appear telling you how it is better.

This may seem like it’s counterproductive to character adaptability because it may require one to re-gear in order to completely change builds. I don’t think this will be an issue because everything in Diablo 3 actually supports this type of itemization. There is the option of switching between rune abilities and re-gearing is easier than ever with the convenience of the Auction House. Above all else, there would still be other options available to advance your characters.

I agree, Diablo 2 was more hands on when it came to your build and their were synergies. Diablo 3 however is more about the gear (D2 again had +skills) so we'd have to be content with that but merely expand on that idea so that people would also be interested in finding gear that + skill affixes to try different builds out.

I think this would bring the community together. One would value their teammate for outshining them in specific areas, rather than comparing them to one’s self by labeling them as better, or worse, and feeling less efficient and wasting time playing with them. Players will no longer be measured in terms of how many optimal stats they stack, but in terms of identity, commitment, and creativity. This would not only balance item stats, but also level the playing field. I believe the following itemization suggestions should be available to those who wish to seek it.

I agree in this. although Blizzard still has to fix a few things when it comes to skills and runes, having a monk with + 3 to mantra of healing or breath of heaven would be neat if the healing effect is actually increased allowing people to be more of an effective healer in their team.

Itemization needs what you are saying in your post...

Itemization needs a lot more then just what my thread is saying, but this would definitely make itemization a lot more diverse when it comes to choosing just pure damage or choosing skill affixes which can augment your skill in becoming more useful.
Reply Quote
You start out with say, for example, 7/14 of the possible skill affects being useful. Throw in 50 more, and you might only get 5-10 useful ones. You just changed the possibility of rolling a useful affect from 50% to nearly 20%. Then you would have more people crying about useless rolls than already exist.

This would be the case if Blizzard handled this poorly like they already have with skill affixes.

People look at skill affixes and just look at damage capabilities and lack the imagination of different ways in making a skill more useful.

Again the ability to stack skill affixes to get up to three different bonuses for the one skill would essentially mean the first bonus would be small, second better, and the third being the best. Also if a + skill affix gave two different skill bonuses instead of just one that would increase build diversity by a lot and make getting these bonuses easier.

Also it would be more around 25ish skills per class, not adding 50. If you are limited to thinking on only what is and not what could be it's no wonder why you would be apposed to this idea.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]