Diablo® III

Weapon "Sever" Up to MP 5 made easy.

01/03/2013 09:38 PMPosted by Harms4420
Im even more confused now since people are saying you can use last breath with sever?? whats goin on here??

No last breath is a WD weapon. it has the same effect as sever the "rest in pieces" but getting one with over 900 DPS with lifesteal... well i have never seen one. since its a WD weapo it has WD specific buffs too.

I just have not seen one high enough to use, while severs are in abondance.
Reply Quote
Thanks for this little tip. Makes that farming a little easier. Loving not having to pay attention as much
Reply Quote
View profile
01/03/2013 09:05 PMPosted by dlimit
haha its pretty damn awesome to see crits so high ... is there a way to make it proc more often?

The proc for 'rest in pieces' is only on the killing blows of monsters. That means the massive crits that you see are not actual damage dealing to the monster since the monster is already dead. The only use of the proc is from LS which the damage value of the killing blow is still counted as 'damage' that can be calculated in the life steal.

Hence, if you don't have LS when using Sever or Last Breath... it's a totally useless proc.
Reply Quote
This is fun on lower MPs, but totally worhtless on higher MPs.

I have a last breath just to blow enemies away on lower MPs and see the high crits.

I rather run around with my skorn with LS on MP5+ and hit normally for 600k+ than get killed with those weapons.
Reply Quote
View profile
This is fun on lower MPs, but totally worhtless on higher MPs.

I have a last breath just to blow enemies away on lower MPs and see the high crits.

I rather run around with my skorn with LS on MP5+ and hit normally for 600k+ than get killed with those weapons.

My point exactly. Last Breath and Sever with LS do poorly in any situation when you can't kill a monster quickly, because it is hard to find one with high DPS, a socket, and life steal.

Without life steal these weapons are worthless to a witch doctor because we don't have belts or off-hand weapons to proc 'rest in pieces'.

I would think a player with 100K DPS would rather have a hard hitting weapon with high DPS so they could one shot enemies in low MP, rather than some gimmicky weapon that does a big life leech off a trash monster.

However that being said, in low MP, the only thing you are going to do is waste your time with it if it isn't efficient, so if you like it - rock on.
Reply Quote
LOL they do not do poorly, But as they say to each their own. You don't need 300k dps to kill mobs, you need to be able to survive to do that you need to

a) take some hits
b) heal your self

High DPS helps kill the mobs faster but it does not help you stay off the floor.

Heck a 100 k dps paper doll sever user does equal or more damage then you to 90% of the mobs in act 3 and they don't have the +290% crit damage that you do, and they have the off hand... you get more 2.5 more life steal sure but you are not healing full every kill either.
Edited by Jane#1803 on 1/4/2013 6:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah, everything is going good on MP5 until you hit an elite pack, with no trash to kill, and then you get wacked, with your low DPS Last Breath/Sever.

Something has to die for it to work. So it is a super life on kill. If someone is using this in MP10 they would need perfect gear to support its low DPS and a lot of life on hit to deal with elites.

If you want to play around with it in low MP that's one thing, MPs greater than 7 will definitely be the end of you without backup ilfe on hit.

The dps on the sever is not low. I think what you mean is your overall dmg would be low, based on a lack of cd.

I do not disagree in that you need nice (aka above ave) gear to support a sever, however its def possible, and if you want, you can just pwn MP8 and not bother with 10.

And i did all of my videos (MP10) with ONLY 400 LoH. ONLY. So its possible to farm with it with only 2.6 lifesteal, 400 LoH, and ~2k liferegen.

Is it the most efficient? Of course not. But some ppl cannot afford stupid EvilAl3x's 2B skorn, so yeah, i think if you have good gear but are lacking a weapon, Sever is a good stepping stone.

One could argue you could gear your entire character out for the price of a good skorn, and instead use a 5m sever and be perfectly fine.

OR buy that skorn, and have no EHP, and find yourself dying anyways.

If you have a nice weapon and nice gear then of course you would not NEED to use a Sever.

I geared someone out last night who friended me about my build. After providing him with some gear he was able to farm MP7 with 56k dps just fine.

before he came to me he had 62k dps, but no EHP. i gave him zuni offhand, blackthornes boots, zuni pox, chest (elite reduction) and helm (mana regen one). lastly, a littany.

all of which cost, idk, 60-85m. Compare that to a 300M skorn or a 1B Mempo, heck, even a 300m manajuma knife.

Which do YOU think is a better investment? All that gear i gave him, or ONE of those items?
Reply Quote
I geared someone out last night who friended me about my build. After providing him with some gear he was able to farm MP7 with 56k dps just fine.

before he came to me he had 62k dps, but no EHP. i gave him zuni offhand, blackthornes boots, zuni pox, chest (elite reduction) and helm (mana regen one). lastly, a littany.

all of which cost, idk, 60-85m. Compare that to a 300M skorn or a 1B Mempo, heck, even a 300m manajuma knife.

Which do YOU think is a better investment? All that gear i gave him, or ONE of those items?

Im the one who he geared out ( Thank you so much btw ! )

And with it im able to solo MP7, so I can actually Key Farm !

The Sever build is great, no need to actually spend hundreds of millions to do what Im doing now.
Edited by Spooker#1401 on 1/4/2013 2:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
Seems like the price might be leveling out or even lowering on these.. I still keep one in my inventory :)

After initial disbelief I am and have a believer. Although hard to quantify exactly possibly the best 7m item I have ever bought.
Reply Quote
sever is not worth it. buy some life on kill and you get the same effect.

if you think doing mp7 with 56k dps is in any way a benefit you don't have a clue.
Edited by Jars#1772 on 1/26/2013 9:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Jars-- that makes absolutely no sense. Regear completely so that they have life on kill, life on hit, and a weapon w life steal to sustain or get a weapon that does it. Life on kill is worthless in this game unless you are playing mp0-1 as you aren't killing fast enough at that dps for it to make a difference. +xx% damage to demons means that the weapon is doing quite a bit more than what is listed as I believe most enemies in the game could probably be considered demons. While I don't think doing mp7 with that dps is the most prudent thing to do for xp or loot it may be for such things as grabbing keys etc especially if they don't have a solid friends list.
Reply Quote
sever is not worth it. buy some life on kill and you get the same effect.

if you think doing mp7 with 56k dps is in any way a benefit you don't have a clue.

Really? Show me a Life on kill that gives you 40,000 Hp heals....

56k DPS +25% to demons =70k dps ish to most mobs in game and all the key guys with massive heals on kill while still having LS. No one ever claimed it as optimal, but it is functional for people struggling with finances to actually progress using it.

As a WD you should know by now a lot of our damage is not paper DPS its effective DPS. the uncalculated adjustments like +% damages and +% against elites.

Zero dog is a prime example of how paper damage does not apply to WD's well.
Edited by Jane#1803 on 1/27/2013 1:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
wd op class :p
Reply Quote
Didn't they fixed this supposed life steal affect in the last patch? I'm surprised its still working after they even stated they are going to fix it

Edit: just looked it up guess they never went about fixing it. Not bad.
Edited by Asmodai#1359 on 1/27/2013 12:49 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]