Diablo® III

Is Vile Ward overrated?

Vile ward is a great way to get a cost effective high primary stat roll with guaranteed high all resistance

But is a high end Vile ward really better than comparable high end rares?

Yesterday I got what i think is a good deal on my new shoulders 170 dex, 160 vit 65 all res, and 9% life at only 15m

A Comparable Vile ward with 330 combined dex/vit is really expensive and uncommon but as far as i know cant roll life% does this mean rares can be better than the best vile ward?

So is Vile Ward overrated?
Reply Quote
Regarding the stats you mentioned, yes. But don't forget about the life regen and the huge amount of armor you gain. A lot of players forget how important armor is for damage mitigation, then they cry when a reflect mob whittled them down
Reply Quote
Here is a high end vile ward:

http://www.diabloprogress.com/item/22863993

639 armor
293 dexterity
167 vitality
76 resist all
260 armor
252 regen

Here's another one:

http://www.diabloprogress.com/item/17548931

627 armor
285 dexterity
86 vitality
75 resist all
11% life
252 armor
258 regen

Let me know when you find a rare shoulder that has over 200 dex...
Reply Quote
"comparable high-end rares" don't exist
Reply Quote

A Comparable Vile ward with 330 combined dex/vit is really expensive and uncommon but as far as i know cant roll life% does this mean rares can be better than the best vile ward?

Vile wards can roll life%
Reply Quote
Lower end ones can be overrated, but the higher end ones are definitely not. No rare shoulders can roll past 200 dexterity, only strength can roll to 300 on rare shoulders.
Edited by Kadderly#1572 on 1/4/2013 12:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
In a way I agree with you. Your new rare shoulders have higher EHP (without dodge) than many high end Vile Wards. But the fact that Vile Wards can potentially have up to 300 dex means you can get higher DPS and EHP (with dodge). That's what pushes them into the premium prices. If you're not going for the highest DPS, there's nothing wrong with rare shoulders.
Reply Quote
This is essentially the best of the best when it comes to rares

Comes complete with High Armor

http://www.diabloprogress.com/item/15643482#
177 Dex
185 Vit
70 All res
11% life
553 Total Armor

To me that looks just as good as either of the 2 vile wards posted above
Also lots of rolls out there with resistance rolls instead of plus armor
Reply Quote
Vile Ward

639 armor
293 dexterity
167 vitality
76 resist all
260 armor
252 regen

Yeah I'll take that bad boy over yours any day of the week.
Reply Quote
View profile
VILE WARD
608 armor
188 str
250 dex
75 res all
life regen.

so much damage mitigation on these between the high dex extra str for more armor and the res all.
Reply Quote
It's basically the only worthwhile legendary shoulders in the game for every class.
Edited by DoctorDoom#1357 on 1/4/2013 1:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
This is essentially the best of the best when it comes to rares

Comes complete with High Armor

http://www.diabloprogress.com/item/15643482#
177 Dex
185 Vit
70 All res
11% life
553 Total Armor

To me that looks just as good as either of the 2 vile wards posted above
Also lots of rolls out there with resistance rolls instead of plus armor

You would be happy to have 100+ less dex with the one you show? Really, cause I would rather have the extra dex.
Reply Quote
@vmxaesa

Pretty much

-100 dex but plus 10% life
or
-100 dex but plus 100 vit

I guess a lot depends on how much dex/vit a player is getting from their other slots.
For the time being anything over 40-50k life is overkill for most people but there is no such thing as too much dex and dps
Reply Quote
The very best rares are close to the best Vile Wards and are typically cheaper, so if you're on a budget then a good rare is great, especially if you can find a good deal. But the reality is that the best Vile Wards are better than the best rares even if you consider vitality as valuable as dexterity, just from the simple fact that Vile Wards have higher armor and they have significant life regen. Do those of you who advocate that rares are better think 300 life regen isn't worth anything? Really?
Reply Quote
The best vile wards, no i don't think are overrated..

But take mine for example, a good compare to OP's...so
What you paid 15m for.. i got for free in drop. ;P

You overpayed.
Reply Quote
Merlin,

I think i'm the only person on the rares side

Being a Legacy Nats user with Permanent Shadow Power Life Regen Literally means nothing to me

The guaranteed higher armor usually around 300 over other shoulders seems to give vile ward the edge.

As a rule of thumb I value stats as a percentage increase. This keeps things balanced. Below are percentage stat increases for fairly average well rounded builds
100 dex is around 5% dex increase (based on most players having 2k+ dex)
300 armor is around 10% armour increase (based on most players having 3-4k armor)
100 vit is around a 10% vit increase (based on most players having under 1k vit)
10% life is well a 10% increase usually 4k life+/- or about the same 100 vit
Reply Quote
The best vile wards, no i don't think are overrated..

But take mine for example, a good compare to OP's...so
What you paid 15m for.. i got for free in drop. ;P

You overpayed.

I can buy a 220 dex vile ward (Comparable to your 180 dex 40 vit) for something like 1mil. Not even close to comparable to mine
Reply Quote
The armor and extra dodge help a lot. My current vile wards gave me about the same EHP at 170 dex 160 vit 9% life 70 res rare shoulders.
Reply Quote
If you are a Legacy Nat's user then you want the DPS boost. You already perma-gloom and DPS is hard to come by once you hit around 150k unbuffed. Believe me I know, I use to have Legacy Nats.
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 01:50 PMPosted by Nick
The armor and extra dodge help a lot. My current vile wards gave me about the same EHP at 170 dex 160 vit 9% life 70 res rare shoulders.

Thanks.

This is a good comparison as yours are a pretty sweet roll with 280 dex some str and 12% life
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]