Diablo® III

Is Vile Ward overrated?

wouldnt trade my viles for any rares :)

but I admit it kind of kills itemization when you only look at ONE specific item for a slot (like DML for quivers). I know there will always be a BIS item, but hopefully with a future patch there will be more choices (viles for high dex, maybe another legendary could have DH specific bonuses or crit chance/damage, etc)

o/
Reply Quote
The fact is that most people value 1 dex more than 1 vit.

If this were not the case you would see the majority of DH's gem for vitality instead of dex as a matter of course (as opposed to those who gem for vitality because they feel they are temporarily trying to make up for an EHP deficit). I notice that in your own profile you are gemming for dex instead of vitality.

Also if you price out a lot of stuff in the AH you'll also see this to be the case.

Look at an Innas or Nats chest with 150 dex and 250 vit vs one with 250 dex and 150 vit, and you will see a huge price difference.

Similarly, a 95 dex, 190 vit inna's pants are going to be much cheaper than even a 190 dex, 70 vit inna's pants (at the same asi) (which is one of the reasons why I'm still stuck with the inna's pants I have).

On the forums, I'm probably near the top of people who value EHP viz-a-viz DPS, but even I'm not willing to go so far as to gem for vitality instead of dex.

If you are one of those people who do value 1 vit more than 1 dex then you'll have a much easier life in trying to get items through the AH because they will be cheaper. You'll have a much lower DPS floor though as a result, which may or may not matter to you.

Edit: If I wear the second vile ward and then compare it to the rare I get:

-7,685.19 DPS Change
+20,260.28 EHP Change
+19,005.98 EHP w/ Dodge

which is an awful tradeoff. I get like 3.6:1 (or close to 5:1 including dodge) just regemming (I could switch out 2 emeralds into amethyst and get

-8,697.83 DPS Change
+31,963.4 EHP Change
+42,369.61 EHP w/ Dodge

) .
Edited by skp#1805 on 1/4/2013 2:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
I am also a fan of rares, that is unless you have 100mil to spend on a NICE VW pair.

I am currently wearing rare shoulders with:

347 Armor
151 Dex
114 Vit
73 All Resist
11% Life

If I were to get a Comparable VW for 10mil, I could get a ~230 dex but no/low Vit roll. Id gain 2k dps but LOSE 9k HP. Totally not worth it.
Reply Quote
I am also a fan of rares, that is unless you have 100mil to spend on a NICE VW pair.

347 Armor
151 Dex
114 Vit
73 All Resist
11% Life

If I were to get a Comparable VW for 10mil, I could get a ~230 dex but no/low Vit roll. Id gain 2k dps but LOSE 9k HP. Totally not worth it.

Are you sure? I gain about 5k dps for 75 dex. Also, you are neglecting the fact you'd also gain close to 300 armor and 300 life regen which are nothing to scoff at.... Having said all that, I do think at the low-mid tier rares are probably more bang for the buck.
Reply Quote
Well said SKP. Vile ward is the clear winner then for BIS

That being said since 15mil can only buy a 220 dex 50 vit vile ward i feel like i got one hell of a deal

Really good bang for my buck
Reply Quote

347 Armor
151 Dex
114 Vit
73 All Resist
11% Life

Are you sure? I gain about 5k dps for 75 dex. Also, you are neglecting the fact you'd also gain close to 300 armor and 300 life regen which are nothing to scoff at.... Having said all that, I do think at the low-mid tier rares are probably more bang for the buck.

You're right, I gain 4k dps for 75 dex. The 300 armor is nice, but I guess I'd rather take 9k HP versus 300 armor, some regen and only 4k dps. That way, I can go 100% offensive stats on jewelry and such and keep a high eHP
Reply Quote
I think higher lvl players don't even look at the name or legendary status of an item.. Just the stats of the item. I have sold a BARB shoulder RARE for 50 mil and the specs were very close to a good ward. Now there are good ward rolls and bad ones. Glass canon builders would take 279 dex and no vit/low res/low armor versus a Good ward with low DEX and high res/armor/life % life /life regen and other bonuses.

Are WARDs over rate? or Are RARES underrated? NOT buy good players.. a GREAT WARD and a GREAT RARE are priced the accordingly if a GOOD player is posting it. If you find a GREAT rare or a GREAT WARD. trust me it's your lucky day and a NOOB is giving away a good item.
Reply Quote
Not overrated.
Reply Quote
My vile ward has no vit, but I got it for <10mil (I have enough vit/+life on my other pieces):

619 armor
197 str
254 dex
45 int
78 AR

So +82.5 total AR and +816 total armor, with 250+ dex. I wouldn't trade that for any rare at that value.
Reply Quote
I reluctantly gave up on rares when trying to find upgrades to my rare based DH

try this
AH > armor>shoulder
1. Dexterity > 100
2. All resistance > 50
3. life regen >100
4. life% > 10
5. armor > 200
6. vitality > 50

you will find no rare
it is so incredibly hare to find a collection of all 6 good mods; vw's come with a good RNG on 4 of em
they have a ton of survival itemization on them

people are not crafting Grand Exalted Palliums for a reason, the VW's are better, drop more often, and that is why you will get a good deal on mediocre ones
while the GOOD ones (dex/vit + dex roll + life%) are very expensive

01/04/2013 02:01 PMPosted by skp
viz-a-viz

Vis-à-vis ; face to face
Edited by zoid#1554 on 1/5/2013 9:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
OK I biffed the spelling I admit because I was in a hurry but:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vis-a-vis

1 : face-to-face with
2 : in relation to
3 : as compared with

Last time I checked one was allowed to use a less common definition of a word when constructing a sentence.
Reply Quote
Vile Ward can THEORETICALLY roll higher DEX, VIT, ARMOR, at the same time. It also has guaranteed life regen.
Let's put it in this way: the best rare shoulder < the best vile ward.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]