Diablo® III

Farmers Guide for what not to pick up (rares)

I've noticed while farming extensively that there are a large group of rare items that will never roll good enough to sell. If you just vendor your items or you salvage them for resources, you may want to skip on these items altogether because the time spent to pick them up unload and id them isn't even worth your time (literally)

Keep in mind...

An essence goes for ~ 700 gold on AH at the moment
You can vendor rares for ~2000-3000 gold at the most

If you do want to unload at the end of your run do not pick up these items because they will never ever roll good and they aren't worth the space in your inventory.

Never pick these up

2h Weapons - Yes all 2h's. The reason? Skorn and Manticore. The chance of you rolling similar stats to a Skorn with the same dps is outrageously low, low enough that you can bet on it never ever happening. You will never roll a 2h Xbow better than a decently priced Manticore.

Chance of being good - .01/10

Wands - There is a reasonable chance that you could get a decent wand. Well, reasonable compared to the chance of getting a worthy of carrying 2h item. Put it this way. If a wand has 880 dps, +10 max crit, 800 loh, 60%cd, 2.8% life steal AND a socket, it still will only fetch you one million gold. If it has +APOC it would sell, but that would leave it with too many affixes to be possible. So, don't bother picking it up. Why? They won't sell because Chantodos will always be better.
**** Thanks to Xane for pointing this out **** - DESOLATOR Wands are worth picking up
(ilvl 63) because there are Wizard builds that do not use Chantodo's

Chance of being good - .5/10

Helms - Even if you pick up a miracle helm that has 6% cc, socket Vit main stat over 100 and 80 AR, Mempo's is still better. Ik's helm is still better (and cheap) Nats can be better (set bonuses are important), hell for monks visage of guya is better. Not to mention tals helm which is also better etc. These are all cheap legendaries to buy. Don't pick up helms. Why? Anything else is better than a rare helm.

Chance of being good - .01/10

Boots - Ice climbers will always be better. Boots can not roll life %. Fire walkers have a good chance of being better. Nats and IK boots are better. Zunis are better, you get the point. Worthless rares, will never be worth anything. Leave them on the ground for the fallen grunts to play with.

Chance of being good - .03/10

Shields - No one anywhere EVER in d3 who knows what they are doing uses a shield. Unless they are trying out a funky echoing fury + shield chakram build at least. These will never be good, and if it is good, it will never sell, because shields are absolutely useless.

Chance of being good - 0

Rarely Pick These Up

1h Xbows - Calamity. Sometimes another 1h rare xbow can be good, but it is a rare occurrence, and most people use Manticore anyways.

Chance of being good - 3/10

Sources and Fetishes - Need a complete perfect roll, and there are many affordable alternatives even if you roll perfectly on either one. Avoid

Chance of being good - 2/10

Belts/Mighty Belts - Mighty Belts will never be better than the Legendary/set alternatives which are DIRT cheap. Belts are sort of worth picking up because they can be a stepping stone to a Witching Hour for Wizards and Witch Doctors. Monks + DH's will use Inna's belt instead, and Barbs will use Mighty belts. Anyways, there's a very low chance they will be useful, but pick them up if you want as they only take up one slot.

Chance of being good - (M.Belt .001/10 ~ Belt 1/10)

Pick These Up

Rings + Ammys The only piece that has higher or equal potential than any other quality. Obviously always pick up, Hell only unload once your inventory is full of these if you're smart.

Chance of being good - (10/10) ((Best chance to roll well)

Shoulders Shoulders can roll just as good as vile wards, pick em up!

Chance of being good - (8/10)

1h Weapons - 1h Weapons can roll good enough that people will use them. Some are generally more sought than others, in this order. (Higher % to sell) Axe, Sword, Dagger, Hammer, Spear(Lower % to sell).

Chance of being good - (8/10)~Axe (7/10)~Sword (5/10)~Dagger (5/10)~Hammer (4/10)~Spear

Bracers - Will generally be replaced by lacunis end game, but it is still very hard to get a good pair of lacunis that you won't have to switch out for survivability. Worth picking up

Chance of being good - (6/10)

Gloves - Have the highest potential of being BIS even than legendaries. Your best shot at finding something good, but it'll have to roll really well.

Chance of being good - (9/10)

Pants and Chest Armor These rare drops have the potential to roll good enough that they will sell, pick these up.

Chance of being good - (5/10)

So that's it! A quick guide to what rares to pick up, what rares NOT to pick up, and why.

Questions Comments Welcome! I hope this makes your runs more efficient and you waste less time vendoring something for 2k instead of running into piles of 3000 gold every second on the ground.
Edited by Beanbagchair#1240 on 12/20/2012 8:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
Pretty much agree on most of it; I would pick up Desolator Wands (iLv 63) wands though- Archon builds don't use Chantodo's, they use black weapons and if you get a really nicely rolled black elemental wand it can sell for a bit.
Reply Quote
ok
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 07:55 AMPosted by Kiwi
here is a better guide. pick-up all yellows and vendors them. less thinking and faster farming time.

No, the simplest way to get the most out of this is to just don't pick up the don't pick up section, helms shields etc, if you have to do 2 -3 vendor stops per farm, you can cut it down to 0-1 and actually make more money with the time you spend walking into gold rather than vendoring it for nothing.
Reply Quote
View profile
This is what the community wanted. No one could figure out why legendaries and sets were so bad at release. This is why.

We are now seeing the effects of the legendary and set item buff - everything else is not even worth vendoring because of the time lost emptying bags.

With the way that rolls work the chances of you getting something valuable to sell are dramatically lower than they were pre 1.0.4.
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 07:55 AMPosted by Kiwi
less thinking and faster farming time.

Once you get used to picking up certain items and skipping others, your runs will be much faster than filling your inventory every few mins, having to ID and vendor them all.

Nice guide, I'd say pick up desolator wands also, though.

each yellow is at least 1k gold. there is no way I am leaving any gold behind in my farming runs. GF > MF.

your method requires too much thinking. i want a relaxing farming session where i can just sit back and do mindless button clicking. so when a yellow drop i d'ont have to think about what item it is. if it is yellow+ i pick up.

There's what? 4 or 5 items of each type that drop? If your brain can't handle the split second thought of pick up or pass up.....you must have downs or something. You'd make more gold not picking up 100% garabge.
Edited by Xane#1263 on 12/20/2012 8:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 08:03 AMPosted by Xane
less thinking and faster farming time.

Once you get used to picking up certain items and skipping others, your runs will be much faster than filling your inventory every few mins, having to ID and vendor them all.

Nice guide, I'd say pick up desolator wands also, though.

I'll add that in now
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 08:06 AMPosted by Kiwi
99% yellow is trash okay I get it but each yellow item is at least 1000 gold. no way i am leaving gold behind in my farming run. Item finding is pointless. All I farm for is gold and use the AH to buy.

But the time it takes you to pick up these items, id them, and vendor them is not as profitable as more time spent farming.

Put it this way

it takes an average of .5 seconds to pick up a rare. 1.5 seconds to id them, 5 seconds for town portal (divided by the amount of items your vendoring) 2 seconds to walk over to the vendor and 1 second to right click it to sell it. Per item on average you're spending ~4.2 seconds per item to vendor for 1000 gold. It takes less than a second to kill a monster which regularly drop up to 4k gold in front of your face. You're making more money by picking up gold on the ground then walking to the vendor. Aka you're losing money by selling your items.
Reply Quote
Wands - There is a reasonable chance that you could get a decent wand. Well, reasonable compared to the chance of getting a worthy of carrying 2h item. Put it this way. If a wand has 880 dps, +10 max crit, 800 loh, 60%cd, 2.8% life steal AND a socket, it still will only fetch you one million gold. If it has +APOC it would sell, but that would leave it with too many affixes to be possible. So, don't bother picking it up. Why? They won't sell because Chantodos will always be better.

Chance of being good - .5/10

Chantodo's is only the weapon of choice for CM wizards and even then a perfect rolled rare has some advantages over a perfect Chant's. If you were to manage to get one with 1000 DPS, LS, and high CD, it would be worth a lot more than a mil to an archon wizard. Sub-900 DPS anything is borderline junk nowadays unless it's a barb OH.

Shoulders Shoulders can roll just as good as vile wards, pick em up!

Chance of being good - (8/10)

Only strength shoulders can roll better than vile wards. For any non-barb class, vile ward is BiS because rares can only roll 200 int/dex while vile wards can roll 300. Personally, I'd put shoulders pretty low on the "possibly worth picking up" list, because only str shoulders are really worth much, but you also specifically need 5/6 of the following affixes to match or beat a good vile ward: str, vit, str+vit, AR, armor, life%.
Reply Quote
I disagree on rare boots...some can roll pretty well...they won't bring you big amounts of gold (talking more 3-5M range or if roll a little better 5-20M range)

Talking about boots like 200+ DEX, some VIT, AR over 60, MS10+, another single resists or pick up radius or armor or any other kind of useful stat.

Check the AH, they sell...so yes worth picking up. I've found a couple of rares that sold for a right under 5M gold...yes I know not "much" but for some players it's a good payday.
Reply Quote
This is what the community wanted. No one could figure out why legendaries and sets were so bad at release. This is why.

We are now seeing the effects of the legendary and set item buff - everything else is not even worth vendoring because of the time lost emptying bags.

With the way that rolls work the chances of you getting something valuable to sell are dramatically lower than they were pre 1.0.4.

This.

Just another example of the idiots complaining about things they don't fully understand (not saying TC or anyone in this thread is complaining).

Legendarys were not powerful enough so people complained and now there is no reason to use most rares. Blizz did exactly what people wanted by boosting legs. If they make the rares better than people will start to complain about the legendarys again.
Reply Quote
I disagree on rare boots...some can roll pretty well...they won't bring you big amounts of gold (talking more 3-5M range or if roll a little better 5-20M range)

Talking about boots like 200+ DEX, some VIT, AR over 60, MS10+, another single resists or pick up radius or armor or any other kind of useful stat.

Check the AH, they sell...so yes worth picking up. I've found a couple of rares that sold for a right under 5M gold...yes I know not "much" but for some players it's a good payday.

I see your point, but you can pick up cheap alternatives easily, Ik, nats and zunis boots are good alternatives to rare boots with said stats. and you get the set bonus associated with them. (60 AR or 7% cc, or 160 dex for 3)
Reply Quote
Yeah, pretty much spot on.

The shoulders ofc, only in the case of strength can they not be beat by VWs.
But ofc, that means pick 'em up.

Oh, slight edit, not that I pick them up myself, but with Inna's pants and cuni's, a rare boot can roll massive dex, vit, AR, +arm and random res and be an outstanding choice for dex (esp monks) users even without MS.
Edited by Anuhart#2131 on 12/20/2012 8:33 AM PST
Reply Quote

Rings + Ammys
Shoulders
1h Weapons
Bracers
Gloves
Pants and Chest Armor

Yep, agreed. That's my list too. Plus boots. Plenty of people get their 24% MS from bracers and pants, so boots don't even need MS to be good anymore.
Edited by Elektrik#1608 on 12/20/2012 8:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
FARMERS ALMANAC
Reply Quote
Yeah, pretty much spot on.

The shoulders ofc, only in the case of strength can they not be beat by VWs.
But ofc, that means pick 'em up.

Oh, slight edit, not that I pick them up myself, but with Inna's pants and cuni's, a rare boot can roll massive dex, vit, AR, +arm and random res and be an outstanding choice for dex (esp monks) users even without MS.

Maybe I'll consider adding boots to the sometimes section, I can see the worth there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]