Diablo® III

Farmers Guide for what not to pick up (rares)

Shields - No one anywhere EVER in d3 who knows what they are doing uses a shield. Unless they are trying out a funky echoing fury + shield chakram build at least. These will never be good, and if it is good, it will never sell, because shields are absolutely useless

this will come back to haunt you when pvp arrives.
Reply Quote
great guide.. should probably add 60+ for gear and 61+ for weapons though since level 58 armors never roll decent and level 60 weapons though can sometimes roll in the 800 dps range(rare as hell) the stats on the item are low
Reply Quote
View profile
Nice guide for efficiency. Though to those who say it is not worth the time to pick everything up....

Who's time is it? The players that pick up everything are spending their time, not yours, and to them it is worth it.
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 10:59 AMPosted by vexorian
I wouldn't give rings and ammies 10/10 chance of being good. Sure, they have the highest chance out of all rares. But lately, since everyone is picking rare rings and ammies, the AH has quite a ton of them. So many of the rings you'll find will have plenty of rings with the same stats in the AH for even 2000 gold :).

I didn't mean they're always good, I said they have the highest chance to be able to sell. Just to clarify
Reply Quote
View profile
I use shields ................

But it is true that no one buys them.

Not true. Well rolled rares and storm shields sell quite well, not for what the used to, but still they sell well. I assume some are looking ahead to PVP.
Reply Quote
View profile
12/20/2012 08:06 AMPosted by Kiwi
99.99% yellow is trash okay I get it but each yellow item is at least 1000 gold. no way i am leaving gold behind in my farming run. Item finding is pointless. All I farm for is gold and use the AH to buy.

O_o

You can make more money with a good item sale than you can with 1000 gold-finding runs.
Reply Quote
I use shields ................

But it is true that no one buys them.

Not true. Well rolled rares and storm shields sell quite well, not for what the used to, but still they sell well. I assume some are looking ahead to PVP.

Maybe if it had 10% cc and 34% block with Vit Str and max ar it might sell for 20m but that's a real, real fat chance
Reply Quote
This is what the community wanted. No one could figure out why legendaries and sets were so bad at release. This is why.

We are now seeing the effects of the legendary and set item buff - everything else is not even worth vendoring because of the time lost emptying bags.

With the way that rolls work the chances of you getting something valuable to sell are dramatically lower than they were pre 1.0.4.

This.

Just another example of the idiots complaining about things they don't fully understand (not saying TC or anyone in this thread is complaining).

Legendarys were not powerful enough so people complained and now there is no reason to use most rares. Blizz did exactly what people wanted by boosting legs. If they make the rares better than people will start to complain about the legendarys again.

http://i.imgur.com/6Ph9d.png

Here was my first Legendary ever.
145 hours into the game as a DH slogging away in inferno, I get a legendary one hand Bow that did LESS THAN 50% OF THE DAMAGE of the bow I was using at LEVEL 45.
And no I was not using a bow with Reduced Level Requirements.

This really is an open ended debate, but in the beginning Legendary Items were a complete insult most of the time.

They need to be "hard to find", not "hard to find and useless"
Reply Quote
This is what the community wanted. No one could figure out why legendaries and sets were so bad at release. This is why.

We are now seeing the effects of the legendary and set item buff - everything else is not even worth vendoring because of the time lost emptying bags.

With the way that rolls work the chances of you getting something valuable to sell are dramatically lower than they were pre 1.0.4.

I keep saying this.

Every single time Blizzard listens to the people on this forum, the game gets worse. The fact that someone is a gamer doesn't mean they understand game design.

Blizzard, there can be a huge difference between what is good for your customer, and what your customer thinks is good for them. Stop caving.
Reply Quote

I keep saying this.

Every single time Blizzard listens to the people on this forum, the game gets worse. The fact that someone is a gamer doesn't mean they understand game design.

Blizzard, there can be a huge difference between what is good for your customer, and what your customer thinks is good for them. Stop caving.

Actually in this particular case changing the items was an improvement. sure there are these massive pitfalls now about "trifecta" items and "item types that are 100% useless" so on so forth..

Problems that reared there head with the new patches.

but back before the items were overhauled I was doing the same thing:

ID'ing bags and bags and bags of items. and all of them were 100% useless. this was always the case since the game was released. So that issue was obviously an issue before any legendary upgrade.
Edited by Shurgosa#1196 on 12/20/2012 12:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
Wands - There is a reasonable chance that you could get a decent wand. Well, reasonable compared to the chance of getting a worthy of carrying 2h item. Put it this way. If a wand has 880 dps, +10 max crit, 800 loh, 60%cd, 2.8% life steal AND a socket, it still will only fetch you one million gold. If it has +APOC it would sell, but that would leave it with too many affixes to be possible. So, don't bother picking it up. Why? They won't sell because Chantodos will always be better.
**** Thanks to Xane for pointing this out **** - DESOLATOR Wands are worth picking up
(ilvl 63) because there are Wizard builds that do not use Chantodo's

I don't understand why you say Desolator wands here. All wands can roll lvl 63 status. Chantodo is mostly used for CM, and rare wands can't beat that. But for Archon. Any wand is far better than chantodo if they have high dps/os/LS/black damage (which chantodo can never have)
So wand is useful

Sources and Fetishes - Need a complete perfect roll, and there are many affordable alternatives even if you roll perfectly on either one. Avoid

Chance of being good - 2/10

I would say the chance of a source being good is almost 0. (no idea about wd offhand)
Because CM will use Chantodo for its IAS/set bonus, or cheap leg source for its guaranteed APOC and cc
Archon wiz will use Triumvirate for its elemental damage.
Almost no one use rare source. Even if you find a decent one, it won't sell because no one is looking for a rare source
Edited by Aurex#1978 on 12/20/2012 12:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
I want to find these cheap 900+ dps LS CD MS Socket going for a million...
Reply Quote
View profile

Maybe if it had 10% cc and 34% block with Vit Str and max ar it might sell for 20m but that's a real, real fat chance

That is a rather silly statement....

Why does it have to sell for 20 mill? 1-5 mill is good too. If I only put items worth 20 mill on the auction house, I would have no gold at all. I was down to 20 mill a few days ago, I'm up to 120 mill now, I know how to find/list items.
Edited by GenghisKhan#1476 on 12/20/2012 1:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
Wrong on three major items:

2h xbows - these can roll very well, and better than a lot of manticores. 1400 dps, socket, crit damage, lifesteal? yes please. Other 2 handers i agree.

Helms - these can also roll well. 200 primary stat, socket, 6% crit chance, resist all - better than a mempo (unless you want a 500m mempo with crit chance). Also, wizard helms with APoC are pricey.

Wands - a good roll on a wand can be very, very expensive. Any 1000+dps with socket, APoC, and life steal is worth 100m+. Granted the chances of these being good are a lower than normal 1 handers.

Check out my wiz for a good rare helm drop, and my DH for a good 2h xbow, both better than 90% of the legendary roles you will find.

Also, keep in mind that there are quite a few viable builds out there where IAS doesn't matter, which makes innas/mempo etc not necessary
Reply Quote
Sold plenty of helms and boots, think you're wrong on those. INT/DEX belts can be worthwhile.

You VASTLY overestimate the likelihood that a 1-handed weapon will be valuable.

Never been able to sell a rare source or fetish...and only one quiver long ago.
Reply Quote
I say leave most all 60-61 and lower yellows on the ground. As a Wiz who can farm (fairly) fast I can still die 1-3 times a run so vendoring yellows to offset repair costs is a must for me. Wish I could tank more... :-|
Edited by pcjunkie#1409 on 12/20/2012 1:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 01:38 PMPosted by pcjunkie
I say leave most all 60-61 and lower yellows on the ground.

Terrible advice for armor. Those items can still roll level 63 affixes.
Reply Quote
You shouldn't pick anything up except legendaries and jewelry.. Your wasting your !@#$ing time if you pick up anymore.

If you picked up even the above suggested items you still spend enough time to do another full run for more legendaries/jewelry. The chance for even a legendary to make you more than 100k is pretty slim these days.. The chance for a rare item to bring 100k is probably around the 1 in a million range.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]