Diablo® III

Farmers Guide for what not to pick up (rares)

Sold plenty of helms and boots, think you're wrong on those. INT/DEX belts can be worthwhile.

You VASTLY overestimate the likelihood that a 1-handed weapon will be valuable.

Never been able to sell a rare source or fetish...and only one quiver long ago.

Not with the witching hour at it's current price ~6m they are cheap now, alternatives are innas belt or tals.
Reply Quote
illvl 58 pants:

183 dex
73 int
117 vit
72 resist all
2 sockets

Only thing that gets better than that are depth diggers. Granted the armor is lower than a ilvl62/63, but even 58's can roll well
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Ossian
I say leave most all 60-61 and lower yellows on the ground.

Terrible advice for armor. Those items can still roll level 63 affixes.

Yeah, good luck wit that...anything can roll good affixes. DPS always takes president over armor...that's how Blizz wants it. But to be honest I still "peek" at a lot of level 60-61 rares!
Reply Quote
Wrong on three major items:

2h xbows - these can roll very well, and better than a lot of manticores. 1400 dps, socket, crit damage, lifesteal? yes please. Other 2 handers i agree.

I was going to add this in, but you only want to pick up the Hellion X-Bow, I personally pick up Revenant bows as well. A lot of players just avoid using the Manticore because everybody else uses it.

Might just be because I'm a DH, but I also pick up the rare quivers... In very rare circumstances they can roll close to, if not better than a DML (300 dex/vit, 10 CC, 15 IAS, 10 disc and % to skill [keep in mind, you can't roll 300 dex/vit + disc on a DML]).
Reply Quote
I pick up all the yellows (I know they're 99% junk). I'm a garbage collector in this game. But as someone said before that's about 50k each run and easily over 1mill gold in about 20 fast 8-10mins alk runs.

thanks for the guide though
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 08:09 AMPosted by Beanbagchair
99% yellow is trash okay I get it but each yellow item is at least 1000 gold. no way i am leaving gold behind in my farming run. Item finding is pointless. All I farm for is gold and use the AH to buy.

But the time it takes you to pick up these items, id them, and vendor them is not as profitable as more time spent farming.

Put it this way

it takes an average of .5 seconds to pick up a rare. 1.5 seconds to id them, 5 seconds for town portal (divided by the amount of items your vendoring) 2 seconds to walk over to the vendor and 1 second to right click it to sell it. Per item on average you're spending ~4.2 seconds per item to vendor for 1000 gold. It takes less than a second to kill a monster which regularly drop up to 4k gold in front of your face. You're making more money by picking up gold on the ground then walking to the vendor. Aka you're losing money by selling your items.

You're only losing money if you approach the game as you're suggesting... that EVERY second matters.

There are a lot of us that just go and do casual runs still. I do 1-2 casual type runs every day.

I'd absolutely despise this game if I had to boil down my "efficiency" to how many seconds it takes me to do certain things.

So... not all of us are playing the game with a calculator by our sides. ;)
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 03:22 PMPosted by LunarSolaris

But the time it takes you to pick up these items, id them, and vendor them is not as profitable as more time spent farming.

Put it this way

it takes an average of .5 seconds to pick up a rare. 1.5 seconds to id them, 5 seconds for town portal (divided by the amount of items your vendoring) 2 seconds to walk over to the vendor and 1 second to right click it to sell it. Per item on average you're spending ~4.2 seconds per item to vendor for 1000 gold. It takes less than a second to kill a monster which regularly drop up to 4k gold in front of your face. You're making more money by picking up gold on the ground then walking to the vendor. Aka you're losing money by selling your items.

You're only losing money if you approach the game as you're suggesting... that EVERY second matters.

There are a lot of us that just go and do casual runs still. I do 1-2 casual type runs every day.

I'd absolutely despise this game if I had to boil down my "efficiency" to how many seconds it takes me to do certain things.

So... not all of us are playing the game with a calculator by our sides. ;)

I just threw out random numbers I just calculated. It was an elaborate way of explaining how you're wasting your time.
Reply Quote
Great Post OP.
Reply Quote
ignore shields/2handers and be done with it XD
Reply Quote
Thanks for the guide.

It's all about opportunity cost. In a certain limited timespan, you can choose to full load your inventory with every yellow item you see, back to town and ID them all, look at them one by one and sell to vendor, but some others may choose to use their time to kill more mobs in order to gain the chance to have a decent legendary drop (90%+ legendary drops are still crap though).
Reply Quote
lol this is a really dumb post. I wish the odds were like .1/10 THAT WOULD BE AMAZING ODDS LOL wow. Also do not listen to this guy and pick up rares and id them, even if its 1/100000 PICK THEM UP AND ID, YOU COULD FIND A GODLY ITEM WORTH BILLIONS, granted its a small chance but its probably the same chance youll find a legendary that actually rolls well(depending on the legendary of course)

granted there are some rares that are worth skipping and maybe some other stuff, but I couldn't get past the start of the list because it was so dumb
Edited by bmwiley#1898 on 12/20/2012 6:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think worth picking boots.

I have sold 1 or 2 rare boots that high in core stats (200+), 12% movement speed and 50-80 all resists for 1 - 2 mil.

Sad to say, you could get a FireWalker from AH with buyout as low as 500k.

So, it is worth picking up the rare boots.
Reply Quote
So much focus on efficiency (as usual). I pick up all items now but if one day I get more selective, it will be for one reason just as important: mental well being and avoiding burn out.

I felt much happier when I first stopped picking up blues and lower lvl yellows ;)
Reply Quote
lol this is a really dumb post. I wish the odds were like .1/10 THAT WOULD BE AMAZING ODDS LOL wow. Also do not listen to this guy and pick up rares and id them, even if its 1/100000 PICK THEM UP AND ID, YOU COULD FIND A GODLY ITEM WORTH BILLIONS, granted its a small chance but its probably the same chance youll find a legendary that actually rolls well(depending on the legendary of course)

granted there are some rares that are worth skipping and maybe some other stuff, but I couldn't get past the start of the list because it was so dumb

Good luck spending hundreds of hours finding a 1300 dps 2h axe with vit 195% cd and no socket. =\
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 07:55 AMPosted by Kiwi
here is a better guide. pick-up all yellows and vendors them. less thinking and faster farming time.

If that's your strategy then you're better off picking up blues than yellows. Don't have to spend time identifying the blues.
Reply Quote
Shields - No one anywhere EVER in d3 who knows what they are doing uses a shield. Unless they are trying out a funky echoing fury + shield chakram build at least. These will never be good, and if it is good, it will never sell, because shields are absolutely useless.

Chance of being good - 0

Pick ilvl 63s only, pvp will come one day. Then they'll be usefull for a change.

Sources and Fetishes - Need a complete perfect roll, and there are many affordable alternatives even if you roll perfectly on either one. Avoid

Chance of being good - 2/10

WD will go for the frog if they know what they're doing... hard to compete with 20 yard pick up radius.. I m sure the other legendary/set mojos are concidered useable.
Wizards will go triumvirate for archon, chantodo's for perma freeze.
Occulus also give nice teleport option... frankly you're wasting your time picking these up.

Pants and Chest Armor These rare drops have the potential to roll good enough that they will sell, pick these up.

Yeeah... maybe. MAYBE. Inna's pants are tough competition for farming speed high dps output for barbs, perma freeze, dh and monks. Depth diggers for high classic stats. (you get everything there and more (MF))
Or you can go Blackthorn pants for life on hit bonus which is nice.
Yes some people will go for rares at times, but mostly cause they're gonna be cheaper.

Pretty much concur with the rest. Oh and do concider picking slayers as well they can be awesome off hands although... chances are really low.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
This is what the community wanted. No one could figure out why legendaries and sets were so bad at release. This is why.

We are now seeing the effects of the legendary and set item buff - everything else is not even worth vendoring because of the time lost emptying bags.

With the way that rolls work the chances of you getting something valuable to sell are dramatically lower than they were pre 1.0.4.

This.

Just another example of the idiots complaining about things they don't fully understand (not saying TC or anyone in this thread is complaining).

Legendarys were not powerful enough so people complained and now there is no reason to use most rares. Blizz did exactly what people wanted by boosting legs. If they make the rares better than people will start to complain about the legendarys again.

The problem is blizzard made a terrible economy that cannot sustain itself.

Most drops need to be crap because most items would not be leaving the economy unless someone vendors them or salvages them. So, in order for the market to not be flooded with good items that lose value, most had to be made crap. Instead of more prudent ways to make items leave the economy. Such as BoE, ladder, gems breaking upon removal from an item,etc. There are not NEARLY enough ways to remove items and gold from the economy.

So, the problem isn't that legendaries are too good (because a lot can be made total crap by a bad roll) its that rares are crap. Even before the legendary buff, most rares were crap. It was just stupid and pointless to have set and "LEGENDARY" items....that were inherently inferior to something that was merely "rare".

Couple all that with bots flooding the market with gold at rates that few legit players can compete with, and crappy crafting system and you have a terrible economy.
Reply Quote
This is a guide on how to not make a lot of gold. I pick-up all yellows and blues, it takes less than a minute to ID and vendor them all for 20-40K+. Your not going to run over that much gold in a minute.

When I play with a speed running group that only picks up yellows I make at least 100K less gold per hour. I like collecting gold and buying multi-million gold upgrades for my toon.

The problem isn't with flippers, etc..., the problem lies with passing up free gold so you can swiftly stay poor.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]