Diablo® III

Astynax's End Game Life Drain Enchantress

I've been playing with an unusual sorc build for awhile and finally added the last touches and came up with a powerhouse 100k+ HP tank that does huge AoE damage and can live through MP10 runs.

She works best ideally with melee heroes who are always close in combat or near big packs of units, such as with barbs, CM WW wiz, monks and other tanky builds.

I didn't like builds where people would try to spend millions to get 15k+ dps per attack, because lets face it, at higher MPs that's essentially no damage. She gets stuck in with you deep in packs of mobs, does a high rate of Area of Effect damage and most importantly, STAYS ALIVE due to massive life drain and life on hit through FOUR AoE attacks.

The build:
You need to get
-Schaeffer's hammer
-focus with vitality and life on hit
-amulet with vitality and huge life %, LoH if possible
-Bul Kathos Wedding Band
-Band of Hollow Whispers

The legendary procs on the hammer and both rings combined with her talent forceful push will give her 4 AoE spells with the longest cooldown being 10 seconds on forceful push. The more mobs that are around her, the more she will AoE which will cause her to heal even more from LoH and proc more AoE damage.

Furthermore, she will do MORE damage than if you tried to gear them for pure damage only, at around 30-40k per AoE volley which actually increases as you increase in MP. See below as to why:

Items explained:
1. Schaeffer's hammer

It has 1 roll, so choose one with vitality which can roll up to 200+ and is one of the few weapons that by default has gigantic life% where no other weapons have as a property. Also search for one with a high chance for the lightning to go off, ~40%+. When she is stuck in the fray with you she gets hit and in return reward everyone around with a huge lightning blast doing 24,000+ damage. This is the key damage and Life% peice to the build

Cheap mode: these are usually super cheap, but if they get expensive you can search for LoH or ones with socket to add LoH here too.

2. Bul Kathos Wedding Band

Item info taken from http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6572357351?page=1
Since very few people use these, it is also quite cheap to pick up in the AH, but this ring is also godly for the enchantress. It comes with life% and LoH by default, which scales well with vitality of other items and LoH from AoE.

In addition, based on the stats above, it does 0.025% of the enemy's HP as damage and returns it as life. This means that the higher MP you do with higher HP mobs, this ring does more damage and heals even more!

I tested this at MP10 and she was ticking for 4.2k to 5.5k per white mob and her life didn't drop against them (Act 2 vault of the assassin skeletons). This is the key item which helps her scale up in MP and also stay alive since it heals on top of LoH.

Cheap mode: forgo vitality and search for something else that could add use, like MF, GF, AR

3. Band of Hollow Whispers
The other ring. I didn't even know about this ring until I found one since no one uses it, which is good news for you - it's cheap on the AH but by coincidence is absolutely perfect for this build.

It comes with LoH, vitality and AR base, which are all huge in this build, but also comes with a proc which adds free damage separate from damage modifiers. Perfect, since her +damage modifiers are next to nothing. This ring adds around 2k to 2.2 damage per tick and lasts for several ticks to everything around her near melee range and procs nonstop. Unsure what the exact coefficient is on the LoH amount, but but more mobs around her and large volume of damage over time that this does, it'll be like a constant heal when combined with LoH.

It has 1 random roll. I selected life % to scale with all your other gear and futher boost HP.

Cheap mode: forgo life % roll and search for something else that could add use, like MF, GF, AR

Amulet & Focus
Just search for cheap ones which has huge vitality, life % (can't be rolled on focus) and LoH. Resist all helps as well but not as important as the other stats.
Edited by Astynax#1904 on 12/29/2012 10:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Part 2 due to post limit

How the scaling works:
Stats on helpers scale at 2.5x what your hero normally gets, so with 1 intelligence she actually gets 2.5 intel on her stats. However, their damage is reduced to 20% of what you would do which calculates to 0.5% (2.5% x 0.2) damage per intelligence point so she actually receive less per point of intel than your hero.

The stat which would not be diminished is vitality since it is not boosted then reduced like their main stat. 1 vitality at level 60 is 35 hp, but for a follower this translates to 87.5 hp (35 x 2.5) and to further boost this I selected every item to have life % as well and currently totals to +38% life. This means that every 1 point of vitality she now receives 120 HP!

My Enchantress: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Astynax-1904/hero/1023810
38% life: 16% hammer, 9% amulet, 4% BK ring, 9% BHW ring
134,598 Hit Points
951 Life on Hit
Damage = 2,100 forceful push, 24,000 hammer, 4,400 BK, 2,000 BHW = 32,500 damage per AoE burst minimum damage in MP10 vs white mobs. Est 40,000 damage vs elites.

Cost: ~1.1M gold. Spending a bit more you'd be able to get more vitality, AR, LoH to tank even more. I don't even have LoH or a max life% on my amulet. Amulets without damage rolls are usually really cheap, enchantress focus are often cheap, and since no one uses any of the legendaries which have guaranteed rolls required for this build, it is also cheap even if it doesnt have the optimal rolls it'll work.

With a huge vitality pool she can take a few hits before AoE spamming to heal back up!

TL;DR: Huge vit tank follower, major AoE attacks + life return.
Edited by Astynax#1904 on 12/20/2012 4:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
bump for great post!
Reply Quote
Thanks for this, excellent guide.
Reply Quote
bookmarking!

interesting read! thx!
Reply Quote
Why not use the Templar? He fights in melee range (where both rings are effective), and you could get more life from a shield / weapon combo. Earth shatter mace is comparable to schaeffer's hammer effect.
Reply Quote
01/06/2013 10:54 AMPosted by VictoriousDN
Why not use the Templar? He fights in melee range (where both rings are effective), and you could get more life from a shield / weapon combo. Earth shatter mace is comparable to schaeffer's hammer effect.

Because the mobs ignore the Templar and Earthshatter only does 7k~ dps while Schaeffer's Hammer can do up to 30k~ dps; and crit too I think.
Reply Quote
Looks good. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's spelled "Astyanax".
Reply Quote

Because the mobs ignore the Templar and Earthshatter only does 7k~ dps while Schaeffer's Hammer can do up to 30k~ dps; and crit too I think.

Yep it can crit as well but I think would need your follower to have some crit chance gear since they have base crit of 0%.

I actually didnt consider earthshattter, but when I played with it on my barb the AOE area seems to be smaller than Schaeffers. As well, it relies on the templar's attack which is slow compared to the rate at which a follower can get hit by masses of mobs.

In addition to the above, you dont need anymore life when you have 100K+ with mass AOE life on hit, but I actually think that you would get much more HP from Schaeffers than any shield due to 250+ vit and 15-16% life, which no shield can roll that high of life % even if it does have the vit.

When I'm playing melee heroes the follower is stuck in close to the mob pack anyways regardless of which follower is used. Got another one of these for my new monk and she's been able to stay alive and finishes off low HP stragglers for me and no issues with staying up either :)

01/11/2013 01:18 AMPosted by Starblazer
Looks good. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's spelled "Astyanax".

Yeah good to see you know where it's from :) I actually didn't like how Astyanax sounded so I cut the "a" out & been using it over 4 diff games for the last 6 years. Seems easier to pronounce too... people seem to have issues reading it as well as my DH's name

I get ASYNTAX or SKYLORAX a lot sadly. I dont think its that hard to pronounce :/
Edited by Astynax#1904 on 1/11/2013 4:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
Great Enchantress build! I included it in my topic (french forums) with your name. Just à Quick tip : blackthornes duncraig cross just works perfect with it, and you can found very cheap ones at AH ( by default AS, LOH and %life ) !
Reply Quote
Good call! Didnt think of that

Thanks for sharing too :)
Reply Quote
Great post, i copied your advice almost piece for piece. Do you think both rings are better than what you would get from a hellfire ring? I don't have enough info yet, just wondering.
Reply Quote
Hi everybody. Great enchantress build we got here. I applied it, and it works pretty well.
I do have a question actually. How is the efficiency of this build on lower mp, compared with the buriza scoundrel build?
I have both builds but I cannot tell wich one is better...
Thank you
Reply Quote
01/20/2013 06:42 PMPosted by Veda
Great post, i copied your advice almost piece for piece. Do you think both rings are better than what you would get from a hellfire ring? I don't have enough info yet, just wondering.

For this build yes, both rings are better than hellfire. What you get here is a bunch of added AoE DPS, more than any other follower build I can think of. More specifically, she works the best in higher MP solo such as key runs or if you don't need more MF or not in a hurry to paragon level with 7% more exp from hellfire.

With the rings she does approx 2k to 6k damage per mob with more life% and LoH. If you're asking about the hellfire fireball damage proc and whether it does more than either ring, I'd have to say no because that relies on her attacks. With a low attack speed she won't prob the effect too often whereas the rings just need her to walk near a mob to do damage! :)

Hellfire is moreso for farming bonuses so if you want to use that I'd say go for full out MF/GF/exp gear.

Hi everybody. Great enchantress build we got here. I applied it, and it works pretty well.
I do have a question actually. How is the efficiency of this build on lower mp, compared with the buriza scoundrel build?
I have both builds but I cannot tell wich one is better...
Thank you

I haven't tried a really nice expensive buriza with high pierce and freeze proc so I cant say for sure. It does help in a few situations:
1. Keeps mobs in place to do damage where they'd be running around otherwise. Most common I can think of is echoing fury fear proc or elites who run away from melee.
2. Fast moving mobs where you want them to stay away
3. Keep ranged mobs in place for melee to hit

As a barb or monk most monsters already come at me to attack or I'd have enough move speed with sprint or fist of thunder to catch up to range/running so it's not a huge inconvenience. End of the day though I think it comes down to preference on whether you want damage or crowd control from your follower.

My wiz I farm in archon and only CM/WW with groups for ubers so I don't use this build there.

One of the biggest differences I can think of is that Burizas cost several millions for a decent one where everything in this build is really cheap! :)

For lower MPs such as 3 or less, you'd be killing monsters really fast so the added damage won't be as efficient since they'll die before the damage of time ring amount does the full damage. If your damage is low (more than 30 secs per elite pack) and you need some help with DPS she can help quite a bit. If you're killing them very fast, I'd say take MF/GF/exp gear.

MP4+ I notice quite a difference. I can sprint through mobs which take a few tornado ticks and even if they dont die my enchantress runs to keep up with me and her ring AoE and lightning often finishes off a lot of stragglers I leave behind. This alone I think makes it more efficient than a Buriza
Reply Quote
Bump for my return! Quit a few months ago and sold everything off. Came back in hardcore mode and rebuilt my enchantress using this build and cost about 700k for everything in the HC AH. She was doing about the same damage I was when I had crap gear and 30k dps in MP1 so she definitely helped out A LOT for cheap.

Again, she doesn't die even with crappy versions of the legendary gear due to mass AoE life steal
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]