Diablo® III

Account hacked - victim gets banned

Hi everyone,

I would like to let everyone know what happened to my friend Tifa's account - her battletag is Tifa#1607.

Tifa's account got hacked today - she could not login. When she rang Blizzard for support, Blizzard "looked into" the matter and advised that because there was "suspicious activity" with her account, her account is now banned. Tifa asked whether she could seek a review about this, and Blizzard said that a GM had reviewed the case and confirmed that her account will now be banned.

Basically, she got hacked, Blizzard failed to help and banned her account instead. Her account and all her gold / items are now gone just like that. Whilst her gold / items are worth more than USD $100 if she sold them market price on the RMAH today, her biggest lost is that she will no longer be able to play with the many friends she had made through playing this game for the last 6-7 months.

Tifa is now over this game, and will miss all of her friends very much. If you were Tifa's friend and you wish to say bye to her personally, let me know.

Blizzard, I hope you will review the competence of your staff / team who manage these hacking / scam cases. Obviously if someone got hacked, and you take a look at that account, there would be "suspicious activity" - if there weren't any "suspicious activity" the account would not have been hacked. Tifa has been a loyal customer of yours for 6- 7 months, and she has never complained on these forums about your services / nerfs / failures after patch updates etc... now her account got hacked and you simply ban her completely.

We will definitely seek to lodge a complaint and / or claim against you to all the relevant consumer authorities.

To people out there: if you feel sympathy for Tifa or you are of the opinion that Blizzard's team is incompetent, please BUMP this post.

*NOTE the following is shown on Tifa's account summary:

Origination: In-game Activity
Ban Type: in-game activities that violate the Terms of Use.
Expires: Friday, December 28, 2012 2:40:51 PM PST (in 2 days, 9 hours)
Ban Reason: N/A

Note the Ban Reason: N/A... is that not ridiculous?
Reply Quote
if she was a legit player I feel sorry for her but hay could be a blessing for her sometimes I hate this game but still cant stop playing guess I have gambling problems

bump if she was legit :( btw if she wants to come back as a monk I can give her some items wont be great thou
Reply Quote
I noticed she posted that a zuni pox ring dropped for her guess that's why some1 hacked her mmmmmmmmmmm
Reply Quote
hmmmmmm it says theres an expiry date..... does that mean she can get back on after that?
Reply Quote
seansky you are right also I noticed goldskin on her chest was thinking was that always there or did hacker put it on for botting

if it was a perma ban there will be no expiry date

also if you keep playin tifa il add you for ubers or speed mp1 farming not hc thou lag
Edited by baggins#6187 on 12/26/2012 9:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/26/2012 05:38 AMPosted by Sephiroth
now her account got hacked and you simply ban her completely.

Expires: Friday, December 28, 2012 2:40:51 PM PST (in 2 days, 9 hours)

Temporary ban NOT permanent ban.

In the meantime, I suggest you tell your friend to beef up their security - authenticators, antivirus, software updates, web browsing behaviour etc

If you don't have adequate security, you are asking to be hacked.

http://us.battle.net/en/security/checklist
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 12/26/2012 10:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
Have to say I've never called Blizzard support myself so this is all theory but:

Tifa couldn't log into account, so probably in a slightly distessed state called Blizzard support.
Blizzard looked at it and said Yes there is suspicious activity.
Now, the most sensible thing for them to do to immediately prevent further misuse of the account? Temporary ban.

Maybe they didn't explain what was happening clearly enough to Tifa, or maybe Tifa was too distressed and didn't understand what was being told, either way it looks like a misunderstanding at your end rather than Blizzard doing something terribly wrong.

Once the ban is over if Tifa still can't log in then you just want to get the account rolled back and everything should be back to how it was before there were any problems.

Until then:
12/26/2012 09:59 AMPosted by Hypersonic
In the meantime, I suggest you tell your friend to beef up their security - authenticators, antivirus, software updates, web browsing behaviour etc
Reply Quote
Looking at her gear, she has AMAZING gear on all her characters.
I would think all that would be worth a lot more than $100. Each char has multiple sets, great gems, legendary's.

If her account was hacked, wouldn't all that stuff be gone?
Or has it just not updated yet?

Pretty much all her characters are MF characters, she has 4 with ~300mf.
Reply Quote
Wat is Blizz up to! This is the second player Ive heard of being banned for un-just reasons.

Hope the complaints to the consumer authorities go well.

Your cheeky antics will be missed Tifa
Reply Quote
That really sucks for Tifa, i wonderd why she hadnt been on the last few days! good work on posting this FF!

Tell Tifa i say hey and feel sorry for her, thats some pretty !@#$ty management of the situation from Blizzards end.

Hope this is only a temp ban! i can confirm that Tifa is a legit player who posts up in the these forms offering to help ppl and somone as hunted her out through the forum posts im guessing.

Hope the account comes back on

(Barb) Sephiroth
Reply Quote
That really sucks for Tifa, i wonderd why she hadnt been on the last few days! good work on posting this FF!

Tell Tifa i say hey and feel sorry for her, thats some pretty !@#$ty management of the situation from Blizzards end.

Hope this is only a temp ban! i can confirm that Tifa is a legit player who posts up in the these forms offering to help ppl and somone as hunted her out through the forum posts im guessing.

Hope the account comes back on

(Barb) Sephiroth

What drugs are you on? You started this thread?
Reply Quote
Tifa is on my friends list, I met her through AnonymousOne and played in her groups now & then, this is sad too see, and yes she had nice gears, played well, was legit, this is sad and something *SHOULD BE* done, that's right - for this too happen and a player get banned because of it shows complete incompetence on Blizzard's part.
Reply Quote
12/26/2012 02:01 PMPosted by Cayzer

check the profile, 2 diff sephy. :)
Reply Quote

check the profile, 2 diff sephy. :)

Lol, thanks.

I was very confused for a bit there.

Thought someone had been into the xanax.
Edited by Cayzer#6828 on 12/26/2012 6:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think it's just a temp ban. Many accounts are hacked everyday and I've seen many cases in which Blz will restore those accounts to an old state before they're hacked. So don't give up, just keep contacting them.
My personal suggestion is:
1, Make a phone call instead of raize a ticket cuz it's more effective. And do it as soon as possible, because they only have saves of an account for, let's say, one month. So if you do this too late, even if they restore your account, you lose some or all of your items forever.
2, Play safe. Use some services including SMS protect - the one I'm using - to protect her account from future hack.
GL to your friend.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
Banning a hacked account is the first step blizzard takes when it is reported, this is so that the hacker cannot do any further damage.

If you submit a ticket you can have them review the case further and do a rollback or such if needed.

If how ever blizzard has found other activity that we here on the forums wouldn't know about then they would ban it perm not temp.

It sounds like blizzard banned the account so that nothing can be done to it while they review the process, which to me makes since(and I've seen it a lot before).

As I said, submit a ticket and they will be able to explain and/or help more.
There not spelling mistakes, Im speaking 'Ye Old English'
Reply Quote
Wat is Blizz up to! This is the second player Ive heard of being banned for un-just reasons.

Hope the complaints to the consumer authorities go well.

Your cheeky antics will be missed Tifa

I got some swamp land in florida to sell ya.
Reply Quote
Can you please tell me how she still has hundreds of dollars of items over 5 heros, if she got hacked?
Reply Quote
yea I would like 2 know is well
Reply Quote
I have played with Tifa a few times with a mutual friend. She is fun to play with and loves her D3 so I am sure she is upset over the ban. I hope she follows the above advice of submitting a ticket and getting her acount back.
Good luck Tifa
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]