Diablo® III

Need help with wife's Wizard -- gear/spec

View profile
I simply don't know much about wizards other than you drive up the price of my WD gear :). I looked at my wife's gear and it looks like a mess to me, but I don't really know where to start. I gave her a Skorn and helm but even those don't seem all that great.

My questions:

1. With a budget of 50m, would you recommend a shotgun upgrade approach or just 1 or 2 pieces -- would appreciate details either way.

2. Does her spec work with her gear? She's got CM but not sure she really has the cc to support.

thanks!
Reply Quote
Bit hard if we can't see her gear mate
Reply Quote
View profile
12/29/2012 05:48 AMPosted by YORI
Bit hard if we can't see her gear mate

Man, I thought you guys were good :)

My apologies for the buffoonery: Elcie#1660
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Elcie-1660/hero/2080653
Edited by SilentMike69#1275 on 12/29/2012 5:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
I may use a paddle as weapon, but we know what we are doing. People call me dumb and say I have a terrible build but my way Is 10 times cheaper.
Reply Quote
Before you buy anything I have some old gear you can have that would be a upgrade free of course . I'll be on in 12 hours or so. I live in Australia so that's midday for me. After you sort through my old gear we can go from there. By the way 50 mill can pretty much upgrade every piece of armor she has
Reply Quote
View profile
12/29/2012 06:56 AMPosted by YORI
Before you buy anything I have some old gear you can have that would be a upgrade free of course . I'll be on in 12 hours or so. I live in Australia so that's midday for me. After you sort through my old gear we can go from there. By the way 50 mill can pretty much upgrade every piece of armor she has

See you in 12, much appreciated! And yeah, I don't get the paddle.
Edited by SilentMike69#1275 on 12/29/2012 7:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
BTW, the purpose of this post is not a search for free handouts. I would still appreciate a focused recommendation on which gear pieces to replace first, and commentary on the viability of her current spec with her subpar gear.

thanks
Reply Quote
really cant help you there, she seem to enjoy archon while I can't even survive one pack with such a build.

Too many buff spell, not enough utility.

I don't know your wife, but if she's a team player, look into a bubble build with frost nova.

+35% dps right there for the team.

You also need to pick up at least 1 or 2 offensive spell.

Some combo better than other.

Like Frost Nova / Wave of Force / Bubble / Explosion blast.

I see that she use a stormcrow for Apoc and Skorn for weapon. This is a huge part of the problem.

Limited APoC, no source / shield for extra dmg and Critical Chance.

Soo first thing first, we need to know if she like the gameplay of 2 handers.

Esle -> Get a wand with apoc, socket, intel, everything esle is extra. dps >800. Since this won't be a final upgrade, take a budget wand, I have one for her if you can't find a reasonable one.

Next will be a source, the source depend on skill and also which type of wand she took. If it's elemental, go with tal rasha, chantodo or occulus. If black dmg, Triumvirat. Again I recommend APoC on the source. 20 arcane power on crit won't raise her sheet dps, but she will be able to cast more often. Thus helping dps all in all.

I don't want to go on like this, could take a long time. I will give you some breakpoint you want to reach.

>40% CC
>15 APoC
Armor > 4500
Resist over 400.
Critical dmg > 250%
Attack speed depend on build.
At least 40k HP.
Some LoH > minimum 800.

And I would say, Double resist. (all resistance + a pick of your choice, I like Physical Resistance esle fire is good too.

You can check my gear and build, it's not very popular but it's very efficient and with a shield, I barely die anymore. It's also very team oriented.

And finaly Arcane Torrent : Power stone is the closest thing to mana potion. Definetly help a lot.
Edited by Kelmort#1104 on 12/29/2012 9:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
kelmort hit a really impt point, does she like to play solo or in a group,
solo archon is one of the best and she just needs a few spec tweaks and some gear upgrades

if she plays with others id really suggest you look at the wizard compendium that has been sticked and see what buildstyle works for her
Reply Quote
View profile
TY for the replies, I wasn't even aware of the compendium, my eyes skipped right past it, we'll be sure to check that out.

Kelmort ty for the reply as well. Your most important question: does she play solo or in a group? Yes :)

When I'm available she and I play together, otherwise she plays solo since she prefers not to play with strangers. I'd like to get her to where she can contribute to an MP4 exp/gear run and not be a detriment on an mp7/8 uber run.

In regards to weapon, I'd like to keep her game simple... IE, I dont want her to have to swap her style depending on whether or not the pack is RD. This is why I've got an LS Skorn for her now, I'd prefer to get one that is > 5.5% LS and comparable/better dmg than her current weapon but right now I don't have the gold to do that.
Reply Quote
View profile
Ok, I bought her a bunch of gear and she respecced into some kind of time warp CM build. Thanks for the inputs, hopefully this will work better for her.

In case anybody else was looking, got the wand, source, 2 rings, pants, and belt for 58.8M, the belt was the biggest item at 30M
Edited by SilentMike69#1275 on 12/29/2012 4:49 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]