Diablo® III

Macrobans D3 mouse or just logitech.

I have yet to see one person saying they have been banned for using macros with a Diablo 3 official mouse (Steel Series Sensei). Since the Diablo 3 mouse does come with macro capabilities is it considered an "Authorized 3rd Party Software" while other macros like what would come with a logitech or razer mouse fall under unauthorized?

Yes I know this topic has been danced around before but clarification would be nice, and any first hand experiences would be great as well.

Please no speculation or rule interpretation as that will just go round in circles and is not what I am asking. We all know what the rules are. What we don't have is a list of "authorized 3rd party software", or know if something like the diablo 3 mouse is considered not be 3rd party since it's a blizzard sold product. Which leaves us in this grey area. If we could limit this thread to first hand experiences or accounts we can keep it productive.

Thanks

(for reference)
http://steelseries.com/products/games/diablo-iii/steelseries-diablo-iii-mouse
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 12/29/2012 2:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
It's pretty simple. You press one button, you perform one action. If you go beyond that, where one button press does multiple actions you risk a ban. It does not matter what device you use.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 mouse here. All features blizzard lets you use.

Go figure.
Reply Quote
Im interested in this also. I have a Steel Series Diablo 3 mouse, and you can do some pretty amazing macros with it. I have not used them, because I have the same questions.
Reply Quote
Remap all 7 ergonomically placed buttons with predefined skills and commands. Assign macros with easy drag-and-drop functionality to personalize the mouse for your game.

from the site. holy !@#$ i cannot believe this

jesus christ i just want to rage at blizzard so hard
Edited by Lanyx#1996 on 12/29/2012 5:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
Pay to win.
Reply Quote
@pyrofrogg - I think you missed the point. IF the steel series mouse d3 mouse IS considered A) an authorized 3rd party software, or B) not even 3rd party since it's sold by Blizzard. Then macros and tools available with it ARE authorized and ARE legal for use.

I don't get what the pay to win comment is for. This isn't about trolling or raging at blizzard it's a legit question. We all have to use a mouse. I just so happen to have a Razer, and a Steel Series (non d3 but I'm sure the software is the same).

Has anybody been banned for this or known anybody who has? We've all seen lots of posts about people being banned for macros and every single one is for a logitech mouse, or keyboard (that I have seen).

Here is the link on BLIZZARDS site for this product so clearly they are selling it FOR d3 themselves and ARE aware of it's macro capabilities since it's an advertised feature in the product description ON blizzards web site.

http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100001820
Reply Quote
pls read this threads.

I'm certain blues/devs are well aware and simply decline to respond.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7384358518#7
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7392969888?page=2#33

a 1 key resulting in 1 action cm wiz macro.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415151756?page=1
Reply Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEBI6AtbRFg\

Skip to 5:12.
Reply Quote
@pyrofrogg - I think you missed the point. IF the steel series mouse d3 mouse IS considered A) an authorized 3rd party software, or B) not even 3rd party since it's sold by Blizzard. Then macros and tools available with it ARE authorized and ARE legal for use.

The mouse is sold by Blizzard, and is a product authorized to use the Diablo 3 logo and likenesses for merchandising purposes, but creating macros for it (or any other mouse) that automate the gameplay in any way is actionable, period. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

The bottom line is this - you are allowed to bind whatever keys can be dynamically assigned to buttons, but it's single key only. You cannot bind more than one key press to any single mouse button or keyboard function button, such as those on the Logitch G-Series gaming keyboards.

The following constitutes automated gameplay, and is thus an actionable offense:

- Assigning more than one function or key press to a single button or key (example: Assigning both Frost Nova and Explosive Blast to the same key via a macro). The World of Warcraft "off the global cooldown combination" allowance does not apply to Diablo 3 because Diablo 3 has no macro capability in-game.

- Assigning any time delay functionality to a button or key (example: Assigning Arcane Orb to a key which then "waits" 0.5 seconds and begins fireing Disintegration at the current target to "combine" both spells on the same target). You can do this manually in the game, but are not allowed to create a macro that does this for you.

- Setting a key to repeatedly press over and over again even though you only press the key once (example: Setting your primary attack to go off repeatedly as if you were pressing the button over and over again so you can change targets by simply hovering your mouse over a different monster). The distinction here is that normally you have to hold down a button to have it "repeat" in Diablo 3, and even then in order to assign that ability to a new specific target you must release the button and press it again once your mouse cursor is over the new target. Bypassing that limitation is a violation and is actionable.

- Creating and assigning any*** macro to a key or button. Diablo 3 has no built in macro capability. Bypassing that is definitely considered automating gameplay and is very actionable.

*** Note: There is one specific macro that may be permissible when assigned to a MacBook/MacBook Pro/MacBook Air's trackpad right click button and under no other circumstances. This particular macro works around a bug in Apple's Boot Camp trackpad driver which causes gestures and clicks to cancel each other out in certain situations. It provides no other functionality than to allow both "clickable" presses to function simultaneously with finger movement as any other regular laptop's trackpad/buttons would allow. Should Apple fix this bug, this macro will also be actionable.

TL;DR: You can remap keys as you see fit. You cannot combine keys or create macros for use with Diablo 3.

Edited by TheTias#1192 on 12/29/2012 11:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
irrelevant. like i said. blues and devs knows whats happening and simply decline to respond. customer service staff who read from response scripts or broad guidelines merely interpret things the safe way rather than an explicit custom response
=
likewise 1 keypress 1 action macro binded to mousewheel down/up can simulate cm wizard 1234 spam.

there has been more than enough notice/visibility on this issue from all public forums (here, diablofans etc, reddit) to say the devs do not understand what is happening and the fact that a large number of cm wizards use macros. furthermore a mechanical nkro keyboard (n key rollover) can output 1234 simply by pressing 1234 in a single action which is all but indistinguishable from any macro.).

Every single macro mouse can simply send 1234 as 1 command. this is equivalent to eg: send /party follow me. bind this to mousewheel down and you got yourself a simplistic cm macro.

remember, this game is entirely theirs and if they wanted to say: cm macros outputting their spells as fast as the game allows is not allowed, they can easily change the critical mass to reduce the cd of spells down to a minimum of 3 seconds and no further. or remove critical mass.

or they can simply throttle inputs into the system. eg: everyone will have a default latency of 500ms - 1000ms.

ie:

tl;dr: devs are not stuipid and know what is happening and no one to date has been banned for cm macros. anyone else is merely being rules lawyers without knowing the intent is to ban unattended automation/botting behaviour.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 12/30/2012 12:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for the responses but again, please not speculation or interpretation of the rules based on "opinions". (directed at TheTias ) as everything you posted is based on your opinion of how it may or may not be applicable to this situation.

This question is very specific as to the status of the d3 as an authorized software and if anybody has been banned for using macros with a D3 (steel series mouse).

@chris We have however seen people who claim to have been banned for a logitech mouse, or keyboard for macros., but never a d3 (steel series mouse).
Reply Quote

@chris We have however seen people who claim to have been banned for a logitech mouse, or keyboard for macros., but never a d3 (steel series mouse).

yes, but those are what those people claim, and you realise something:
a) using macros for ah botting.
b) too much doubt as to their one sided story. in those threads plenty of people who use the very same hardware have chimed out against it. eg: they were hacking and looking to cast doubt on their story so that they can claim it was a logitech mouse driver that causes a false positive and get unbanned when sufficient public sympathy is raised or raise sufficient reasonable doubt that the ban wave was improperly targetting mouse drivers

--
a ban on keyboard macros will result in a huge freaking banwave of all the top cm wizards and not isolated incidents.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 12/30/2012 7:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
They need to just come clean and say macros are OK, regardless of what keyboard / mouse you make them with. It makes no sense whatsoever that they sell a mouse with advertised macro capabilities and then tell you you can't use them. Then again, lots of stuff done with this game don't make any sense either, so par for the course I guess.
Edited by Toprem#1136 on 12/30/2012 7:19 PM PST
Reply Quote

yes, but those are what those people claim, and you realise something:
a) using macros for ah botting.
b) too much doubt as to their one sided story. in those threads plenty of people who use the very same hardware have chimed out against it. eg: they were hacking and looking to cast doubt on their story so that they can claim it was a logitech mouse driver that causes a false positive and get unbanned when sufficient public sympathy is raised or raise sufficient reasonable doubt that the ban wave was improperly targetting mouse drivers

--
a ban on keyboard macros will result in a huge freaking banwave of all the top cm wizards and not isolated incidents.

That's a lot of speculation on your part.
Reply Quote
Hi, last I checked; mice can only interpret information from a user. So yeah. Good luck with your AH mouse driver bots.
Reply Quote
12/30/2012 10:08 PMPosted by mki
Hi, last I checked; mice can only interpret information from a user. So yeah. Good luck with your AH mouse driver bots.

huh, what are you talking about. I swear this forum... ...you ask hey does anybody know what 1+1 is and the answer you get back is potato.
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 12/30/2012 10:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Just because Blizzard sells a mouse that supports macros DOES NOT mean the rules on automation have changed.

12/29/2012 11:39 PMPosted by TheTias
The bottom line is this - you are allowed to bind whatever keys can be dynamically assigned to buttons, but it's single key only. You cannot bind more than one key press to any single mouse button or keyboard function button, such as those on the Logitch G-Series gaming keyboards.

This whole post by Tias is an excellent starting point.

You may certainly use the extra keys in game, and AFAIK the only way to do this IS to create a macro but it is only acceptable as a SINGLE KEYSTROKE ONLY!!!

You CANNOT use the macro keys to automate gameplay. This includes gear swapping macros.

Now back to the original point. You have yet to see anyone banned for this because it's very difficult for Blizzard to actually determine whether or not a player is in fact using macros. Just know that in the event you ARE actually caught using them your account can be suspended.
Thanks for the response however I'd still like to see a post from somebody who can give "the official" word. Are you 100% sure that the blizzard mouse isn't considered authorized 3rd party software? Have you spoken to a blizzard staff member on this issue, or are you speculating and interrupting the TOS like other players have?

Why would it be more difficult for blizzard to recognize the d3/steel series combo then the logitech which they have actively banned people for using macros with? This makes me think there is a grey area here which would be great to clear have cleared up. As would a list of authorized 3rd party software would be really nice to have as well. Can you obtain that?
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 12/30/2012 11:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/30/2012 10:36 PMPosted by Drothvader
You may certainly use the extra keys in game, and AFAIK the only way to do this IS to create a macro but it is only acceptable as a SINGLE KEYSTROKE ONLY!!!

For most software solutions, those keys can be "mapped" just like you can in Diablo 3's keybind preferences, so creating a macro serves no purpose other than to automate the gameplay.

On my Logitech G11 (soon to be G510 since I got a sweet price on it in a BB clearance sale), I have the G7, G8, G9, G11 and G12 keys remapped to the corresponding keys for the skills (G7-9, G12) and potions (G11). This set of G-Keys allows me to have a convenient location for my skill keys that still lets me easily hit Shift for when I need to stand still and fight. I did not however create a macro since doing so is useful only to automate things, and I prefer to beat my opponents the old fastioned way: brutally (and honestly).

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]