Diablo® III

Strafe DH Survivability Help

I am currently using a Strafe build for my DH to farm EXP on MP0 or MP1, my stats look something like:
149k DPS
36K HP
4.1K Armor
~270 Resist All

I pretty much 1-2 hit everything except RD and Extra Health elites, but I die more often that I should.

What could I do to my gear without costing me toooooo much to make it that I don't die anywhere close to as often?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
well you don't have a ring on? lol. did you know..

So i'd prob invest in a ring with vit/ life % possible socket for more geming if you'd like.
raise your resists any way you can, a good mp0/1 should be 350ish.

And all the basic Strafe builds rely on lower attack speed, i find that on mp 0/1 my 49% IAS is fine, so you could lower that.

+ just noticed you run gloom/strafe.. if you combine them engage gloom before you strafe.
quoted a few exp. DH'z

^can u elaborate more? i just tried that but gloom went away as i kept having strafe on, thanks!

the glooms damage reduction is NOT attached strafe

just teh 15% leech will be retained for the entire duration of the strafe channel, as long as it was on the moment you activate strafe

you can do the same thing with shuriken cloud, have gloom on while you cast the cloud and the cloud will continue to operate as if you had 15% leech for the full 2mins - a somewhat viable exploit imho that I use constantly

now i got better results changing gloom to SS.. oO i could jump inside mobs better than with gloom =x.. maybe my gear sucks haha

Gloom needs to be triggered before you start strafing. It will not kick in mid-strafe. Strafe takes a snapshot and keeps it until you stop. So one advantage is you can keep that gloom active even after the 5 seconds as long as you are still strafing.
Edited by MadRussian#1151 on 1/1/2013 10:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
well you don't have a ring on? lol. did you know..

So i'd prob invest in a ring with vit/ life % possible socket for more geming if you'd like.
raise your resists any way you can, a good mp0/1 should be 350ish.

And all the basic Strafe builds rely on lower attack speed, i find that on mp 0/1 my 49% IAS is fine, so you could lower that.

I have a hellfire ring, it was on another account when I logged on, should be updated now.
Just got a paragon level, now i have 150k DPS exactly. Win :)
Edited by InstantKill#1860 on 1/1/2013 10:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
but I die more often that I should.

What could I do to my gear without costing me toooooo much

ditch ruby in helm for amethyst; add that eHP as pushing deaths = 0 is your first priority to farming

your all resistance is a tad low, you should try for ~400 perhaps with new strong arms, possibly a hellfire that happened to roll 70+ all resistance
Edited by zoid#1554 on 1/1/2013 10:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
but I die more often that I should.

What could I do to my gear without costing me toooooo much

ditch ruby in helm for amethyst; add that eHP as pushing deaths = 0 is your first priority to farming

your all resistance is a tad low, you should try for ~400 perhaps with new strong arms, possibly a hellfire that happened to roll 70+ all resistance

How about now? I changed my bracers for those, now im at around 360 resist all
Reply Quote

if death is the issue survival in terms of eHP helps certainly, so trading 6k dps for 20-30k eHP is good

but you still need to know when to vault + gloom away, can't gear that.

still suggest ditching ruby
you already have +35% ring, and +75% from being NV5 = 210%xp rate
the (27%)ruby effect is additional with all those as well, so it only contributes 12.8% then without it (27/210)

better off with a 16% amethyst so you can help not die, you have 122% life (100% normal 10% nats 12% mempo) which means even a 16% amethyst effectively is 13% > 12.8% ruby
Reply Quote

if death is the issue survival in terms of eHP helps certainly, so trading 6k dps for 20-30k eHP is good

the (27%)ruby effect is additional with all those as well, so it only contributes 12.8% then without it (27/210)

better off with a 16% amethyst so you can help not die, you have 122% life (100% normal 10% nats 12% mempo) which means even a 16% amethyst effectively is 13% > 12.8% ruby

got a 16%, my eHP over doubled by changing for it, and swapping bracers. Thanks hopefully this helps!
Reply Quote
I run MP1 with 0 deaths just fine with my gear that has about
41k hp, ~400 AR. 170k dps.

Remember to use gloom before you start strafing. Otherwise your screwed(especially on reflects)
Reply Quote
I run MP1 with 0 deaths just fine with my gear that has about
41k hp, ~400 AR. 170k dps.

Remember to use gloom before you start strafing. Otherwise your screwed(especially on reflects)
Reply Quote

While getting killed isn't a good thing, I don't really think it's worth swapping the ruby out. If he's actually dieing, chances are that hes dieing from being out of disc. It's pretty unlikely that 18% HP will change lots of those situations.

Also you don't start with 5 stack NV, in some cases you might do like half the run with less then 5 stacks. So the ruby is actually more like 15%+ of the overall exp.

While I don't die on most runs, I've had some pretty bad runs where I died like 3 times in less then 6 minutes and still average at a rate of 90 mill exp/hour.

-----

I'd much rather drop DPS (or even move speed if no other options are easily available) instead of drop the Ruby for anyone playing Strafe Builds if you actually feel survival is an issue.
Reply Quote

While getting killed isn't a good thing, I don't really think it's worth swapping the ruby out. If he's actually dieing, chances are that hes dieing from being out of disc. It's pretty unlikely that 18% HP will change lots of those situations.

Also you don't start with 5 stack NV, in some cases you might do like half the run with less then 5 stacks. So the ruby is actually more like 15%+ of the overall exp.

While I don't die on most runs, I've had some pretty bad runs where I died like 3 times in less then 6 minutes and still average at a rate of 90 mill exp/hour.

-----

I'd much rather drop DPS (or even move speed if no other options are easily available) instead of drop the Ruby for anyone playing Strafe Builds if you actually feel survival is an issue.

Im not sure what I am doing wrong, but even with the ruby I only get like 50ish mil exp/hour and i only stop to pick up gloves, rings, ammys, a few lvl 63 things and legs
Reply Quote
if you are not having a high enough XP/hr you should also look at killing higher HP monsters in A3.

If you watch videos out there... many do not kill:

PhaseBeasts fully
Big-Fat-B@stards (can't remember their name) fully
Demonic Tremor (big turtles as many call them) fully

Many hit them a few times with strafe as they travel through. If you are using RoV type of skill the arrows may take 'em down but many looking to maximize the XP/HR don't waste time with them and they treat them as 1-hit trash mobs. The less you kill all the way though the less drops you will have and that means less potential legendaries. However XP runs aren't designed to be run by nature for loot.

I stop and kill off elites fully as one should. But I do not sit around most of the time spinning like a top to kill off every single type of monster. if you are doing this you may be gimping your xp/hr. Even if it takes you 1 extra second on those 3 monster types I mentioned above. You may encounter 50 of them depending on the route you take for XP. that is close to an extra minute per run. If your runs are 15min each you could do (not counting exiting game and restarting it again) 4 runs in an hour. and that is 4 extra minutes of wasted time for small xp benefit in killing them.

1mil xp a minute using the above scenerio = 60m/hr. If you take off an extra minute from each of the 4 runs so they are only 14min you now gain an additional 6.66m per hour from doing the same run.

The other factor is what routes you take. You don't want to use areas with low or spread-out densities of mobs wasting time vaulting around looking for packs. That is why we don't typically do Keep 1. It can have good concentrations in there but tare too spread throughout the level. YOu end up vaulting many times through empty rooms. Not good for xp farming. Also as you do the runs like in Crater2 you get to know what route to take to get to the end. I don't really stray off the route to take as I don't want to vault back from a side-area to get back on the normal path to the end of the level.
Reply Quote
as a strafe DH player i think strafe requires u to move freely i like to use skill to slow monsters down so that i can move around or snare them so that i take less dmg i would try useing another skill maybe fan of knives so that those moments when u feel death coming u can snare those around you and vault away
Reply Quote
i would recommend some skill sets change before changing any EQ -
changing chakram to a hatred regen skills (grenades) once strafe ran out of hatred hits a few bombs and strafe again. You can even gloom and regen HP with aoe grenades since we are always in middle of hordes. Switch rain of vengeance with preparation (battle scars for survival or back up plan for more disc) this helps you to gloom more and vault faster. 3 choices of strafe runes - demolition, rocket storm, and drifting shadow. Demolition is for low dps and high defence (this will wipe out groups of mobs easily but low accuracy). Rocket strom (most versatile and by far fastest kill in strafe rune in terms of mobs or single elite). Drifting shadow (giving a 100% boost in movement effective with selective mobs kills, you will be able to move very fast and vault away in areas). Passive - what you have is good, may be exchange nightstalker - 1 hand cross bow needs achery, as for 2 handed crossbow - is best to add in balistics (boost rocket storm to whooping 110% dmg for homing rockets) or prefectionist (for extra survival)

Thats aside EQ you might need to get witching hour, innas belt holy dmg does not go well with manticore poison elemental. Maximize atk speed in ur DML to 19% or 20%. Innas pants with vit, nat armor wit vit for extra survival. Average dmg in rings and amulet (this includes your default amulets and rings stats you are using) it will boost a whooping 15 to 30 K dps with 30-52 dmg in 3 of them (it might be more base on your overall dps. To get more res - rings, bracer, gloves are the best choice for your built unless blizz create a new legendary EQ
Reply Quote
Use Blood Moon instead of Gloom, you will get the 25% life steal until you stop strafing (as others said, make sure you cast shadow power before you strafe.

That alone should make you invincible with any kind of decent DPS on a low MP level...

Other than that, strafe is essentially a survivability skill in and of itself... you should be strafing around projectiles, avoiding melee, etc...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]