Diablo® III

Criticising Diablo 3

Thanks OP for developing all these valid points.
Thanks CM for responding, although you keep saying the same things, basically manual stats allocation is outdated, and skill tree doesn't work for D3...
You still don't get it... These things participates to the depth of a game, while D3 is critically lacking of depth, as most people are trying to explain in all these thousands of pages of forums.
It didn't have to be like in D2, but the philisophy behind it is still valid. At some point we were told about the "trait points" which were in that spirit yet different. But that as well got dropped, leaving us with only a couple things that matter, like one main stat and weapon DPS. This is poor, boring and sad.

There is something wrong with this game, time to admit it and change.
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 01:04 AMPosted by Starblazer
The sword that Hector used in the Trojan War is legendary, but it's weaker than some steel tool that you could buy at Home Depot today.

I feel that most of legendaries are Hector's swords.

Some have nice design, with interesting proc skills, but these are totally useful in comparison of rares in doing what they are meant to do.

Hellrack, Empyrean Spear etc.. all these has special affix which only they can have, but nobody uses them because other item just outshine/overshadow them by huge margin.

These special effect are so meaningless that it seems to be disadvantageous when they took one slot for affix which can be used for rolling some better ones.
Reply Quote
Totally agreed with KradisZ and:

D2 was hard, challenging, rewardable, dark, gothic and addictive. D3 is no more hard to play, no challenging, not rewardable, shiny & colorfull like WOW but it can improve by fixing the loot table and adding more challanges (Ubber Diablo is a good suggestion, Azmodan siege mode is an awesome but not implementable suggestion, Dota/Guild Wars PVP could be useful sugestions)

The loot is still bad and not fixed and there are tons of threads moaning of it for a reason and they are speaking of 1.0.4 legendary improvements - which wasn't enough, because most of the droppped legendaries are brimstone destined...

After a friend told me why he doesn't play anymore, i tried last night to show him that i can find ONE sellable item on the AH, after 2 full ACT 3 runs on MP2 => failed so hard and I was prepared also to find a legendary wizard hat with strength+dex...=> they should limit that RANDOM to certain stats (ex. at least wizard hats will have int., mighty belts will have str. etc )

So, they cannot change the skill allocation system, because this means you must begin with a new char, but on the same crappy loot - why on earth should a normal person do that?

BUT, if they fix the loot this means more decent items, more players with decent gear, more trades on AH and less players in 1-2 months after getting bored of grinding for nothing - so who will be playing and trading in 4-5 months from now?

Also, i can't hardly wait to obtain the Ear of XXYZ player as the reward for a duel win, a crappy int-mighty belt for defeating Azmodan etc. etc.
Reply Quote

In terms of free additional content, we’d love to add more events similar to Infernal Machine to the Diablo universe, but whatever we add needs to fit within the scope of the game and needs to be weighed against other design costs. D3 isn’t an MMO, so it’s not going to receive regular content additions like an MMO

Why do you need to bring "D3 is not MMO" into this? Is there some rule that only MMOs get regular content updates? Could you, please, link us.

Drop redundant MMO reference and what you said is:

D3 is not going to get more content until expansion pack.

Thanks for clearing that up. Many players thought so, but few delusional ones were thinking that developers, actually work on creating something that will change this game from incredibly boring to kind-of replayable.

Oh, I wish you people start playing the game. You would not believe how empty experience it is. Click "RESUME BUTTON" - tell me what you feel in your stomach? Sweet, sweet fun.
Reply Quote
thx for letting us know your at work, I had no idea...
Reply Quote
OOO, its the bandwidths fault now?!? wow ur flippn brilliant.
Reply Quote
diablo 3 was the biggest disappointment of 2012.

probably the biggest disappointment of any pc game in history.

these forums and its mixed playerbase from worldofwarcraft, are the only thing left keeping this game alive.

how many threads were created on average on a single day shortly after launch, than the next few months after, and how about today? population = dying.

rip blizzard north.

Go play "Big Rigs" for the PC then comeback and tell us which is biggest disappointment in gaming history.
Reply Quote
Hello, veteran D2 player here (As in played it -a lot-). I'll keep it short-ish.

D3 was a disappointment at release and it still has a long way to go. However, since day one (15.05.2012) I've known and advocated that Blizzard will polish things and that D3 will only get better and better. You certainly proved that with 1.05. No, it didn't fix everything but you did a lot in a relatively short period of time and even better, you proved that you listened to the community, /highfive.

I've been playing WoW for many years very actively too and I have seen how you do things; countless patches, fixes, nerfs, buffs, you name it. It just doesn't happen over night - Rome wasn't built in a day and I've known this all along - it keeps me playing because it's about 99.9 % likely that D3 will be in a totally different (and much better) state say one year from now. And I want to have been there since the start (killed Diablo solo a couple of weeks after launch with a Wiz).

A lot of players don't have this perspective and that is a challenge. They aren't familiar with the way you do things and they don't know what to expect. Especially those new to Blizzard games fall into this category. They'll try it out and discard it because well.. it's just not catching their interest as it is right now. Many of your active D3 players right now are still playing and advancing their characters since they know D3 will be a better game in the future.

I could probably keep on writing a lot of things. This took me about 5 minutes. I'd just like to say keep up the good work. Oh and weapon swap, randomized dungeons and open acts needs to be seriously considered along with many other things of course.

With regards.
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 01:40 AMPosted by Xoh
Not really constructive but I must say, I was rather amused by how quickly the OP changed tune as soon as he received a blue response, even though it offered nothing new or even remotely insightful whatsoever.

I think that is because game improves significantly, whenever blue posts "we feel" and "we’re down to continue to improve it and make it the best game we possibly can". Just hearing that they are so committed is enough. You don't need stuff to actually change in game or see any result of said commitment.

They are gamers and they are dedicated. Put that in your inventory and D3 becomes awesome.
Edited by ARÔMÊZ#2910 on 1/9/2013 3:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
As we're counting down the days until we're ready to announce a release date for Diablo III, we've come to realize that the PvP game and systems aren't yet living up to our standards. Today, we wanted to let you know that we've made the difficult decision to hold back the PvP Arena system and release it in a patch following the game's launch. After a lot of consideration and discussion, we ultimately felt that delaying the whole game purely for PvP would just be punishing to everyone who's waiting to enjoy the campaign and core solo/co-op content, all of which is just about complete.

While we work on making sure PvP lives up to its full potential, we hope you'll find some consolation in the fact that soon, you'll be having a blast leveling characters, finding items, learning the classes, and perfecting builds…and that when the Arenas do arrive, you’ll be all the better prepared for battle.

When the PvP patch is ultimately ready, it will add multiple Arena maps with themed locations and layouts, PvP-centric achievements, and a matchmaking system that will help you and your team get into fairly matched games quickly and easily. We'll also be adding a personal progression system that will reward you for successfully bashing in the other team's skulls.

We know a lot of you are looking forward to PvP, and we’ll be focusing our post-launch efforts on making sure the Arenas are as brutal, bloody, fast-paced, and awesome as we know they can be. In the meantime, we're in the process of putting the finishing touches on what we think is a truly epic campaign and co-op experience for launch.

We'll have a lot more info to share on the PvP system in the future, and we look forward to the moment we can get the game into your hands.
Diablo III PvP Update

by Jay Wilson
Mar 9, 2012 3:00 PM PST

oh wait... you're introducing duels - SO FAR, FAR from what you told us we will buy - in a normal european country, you should be fined with tons of $$$$ for misleading publicity and thievery...

Also after so many many years of waiting, we were expecting more than an unfinished game and more than closed topics by furious staff just because they were saying the true. But, you'll be pleased that some of us are still waiting and expecting you do fulfill your promises, but our patience isn't infinte...
Reply Quote
Great post OP, was refreshing to see some other references to D3 besides D2.

I loved D2 as a kid, and at that time it was a lot of fun. However if you asked me to install and play this 12 year old game today, it would bore me easily. Same can be said for D3, it just feels like a mmo clone of the 12 year old game but with very little rewards for completing the game.

After deciding to finish inferno yesterday (already paid 80 euros for the collectors addition so might as well), I finally killed Diablo (for the 4th time). There was no sense of excitement, no rewards to be found but the achievement " You have killed Diablo in inferno". Maybe its just me but I don't find grinding for hundreds of hours for legendary items fun.

Fable 1 is a game that comes to mind when I try to remember good ARPG games. Rewards, leveling up skills, unlocking more powerful skills to level up, interesting quests and side quests, additional features, characters feel alive etc. I played Fable once and it didn't take as many hours to finish Diablo 3 (inferno), but it was memorable, rewarding and fun.

Believe it or not but D3 was fun up to normal mode for the first 2 weeks (maybe I should of stopped there), took me a few tries to kill Diablo #under geared. But to be honest it was a very short game with linear story and game-play direction ( You are forced to repeat the same quests in the same area leading you forward, there are no additional large areas/ quests you can explore or discover etc.).

ARPG and RPG in general has evolved since the last 12 years! And D3 is still living in the past, trying to live up to the Diablo II title. They should be aiming higher and be a stand alone D3 A-RPG that is clever(story, content, charactors etc.), fun, rewarding and memorable.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
01/08/2013 03:43 PMPosted by Vaeflare
They also often rendered a remarkable penalty, in that if you mis-allocated a stat point or skill the wrong way, or simply wanted to change it at a later point in time, you were out of luck, as you were locked to your original choice.

Still using this as a defense? Really? As the developers of the game, you feel you're not capable of adding in a way to respec? You feel that it's an insurmountable obstacle? Even D2 and WoW both have such systems? I can accept not having skill points and skill trees, but FFS at least use a reason that isn't full of BS for defending the decision to remove a very loved feature of the genre.

We think that players can achieve a sizable level of customization through runes,

As compared to what? Certainly not compared to D2 or most other games in this genre.
Reply Quote
Blizzard thinks this game is good. Anything they do in patches will just improve the game according to Blizz.

All these threads are acts of futility.
Reply Quote
how is anyone thanking the blue for responding? any blue post i read is a joke.
Reply Quote
Vaeflare
Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to craft such a constructive and well-intentioned thread. We really do appreciate the passion of Diablo III players like yourself, and you have some very fair points and feedback, so /highfive for that!

And how an old game had systems inspired already to lead into multiple diversities and that game is full of skill trees and is immensively popular, so those telling me skill trees & stat points is outdated, tell that to a 12 year old game still surviving and is massively going on updates still. It's only outdated if your skill trees/stats don't actually offer any equality between power & variation.

While we enjoyed allocating stats and having intricate skill trees in Diablo II (as well as the benefits they provided), we ultimately feel the current stat and skill system is better for Diablo III. We heavily iterated on the skill trees and stat points in Diablo III for quite some time, but we felt that they simply didn’t fit the direction we wanted to go with the game. They added artificial complexity to the game, but didn’t actually add much in the way of customization. They also often rendered a remarkable penalty, in that if you mis-allocated a stat point or skill the wrong way, or simply wanted to change it at a later point in time, you were out of luck, as you were locked to your original choice.

We strongly feel that in general, players will know whether or not they like a particular skill or play style only after they’ve had a chance to try it out for themselves. And while there definitely is some intrigue and fun to permanently committing yourself to a particular character design, it’s not what we envision for Diablo III. We want players to be able to experiment and find a combination of skills and runes that they enjoy and that fit them the best. We also don’t believe that the current skill system would really benefit from a free allocation of stats, either. We think that players can achieve a sizable level of customization through runes, and that this system fits in much better with the overall design of the game.

DUDE!

This may be what "Blizz" wants etc, but your player base does not want this! We wanted a skill tree and stat allocation. That thing we call "customization"

Where is the "Customization" in Diablo 3?!? It is seriously lacking this!

Dyes - 99% of the items we use are legendary and cannot be dyed... The other 1% are item slots like rings, amulets braces CANNOT be dyed!!

Items - Interchangable customisation... Except we all end up pretty much using the same items because of the lack of build diversity because of the lack of skill and stat allocations and any synergies.

Male/Female - Tick, but how does that help me kick Butt in a different way to the guy on my left?

We're lacking items like charms, jewels, a diverse range of gems that can help make our characters different.

Instead we're left with ....

Weapon with socket (Guaranteed Green gem in there...)
Helm with socket (Guaranteed Red/Purple gem in there...)
Anything else with socket (Guaranteed main stat gem in there...)

We want/NEED Customization in this game! It would make it actually worth playing for more then 6 months.

You may not agree at Blizz HQ but your WRONG im afraid! Sorry but true!
Reply Quote
We heavily iterated on the skill trees and stat points in Diablo III for quite some time, but we felt that they simply didn’t fit the direction we wanted to go with the game. They added artificial complexity to the game, but didn’t actually add much in the way of customization.

Anyone else noticing a trend here?

"Well, we were, uhhh... thinking about it real hard and stuff, and we thought... uhhh... !@#$ it."

"Well, we were uhhh... going to release PVP but... uhhh...."
Reply Quote

In terms of free additional content, we’d love to add more events similar to Infernal Machine to the Diablo universe, but whatever we add needs to fit within the scope of the game and needs to be weighed against other design costs. D3 isn’t an MMO, so it’s not going to receive regular content additions like an MMO

Why do you need to bring "D3 is not MMO" into this? Is there some rule that only MMOs get regular content updates? Could you, please, link us.

It's easy: MMO = monthly payments = regular content updates.

The way other companies get around it is by providing DLCs (Down-Loadable Content - like patches that add more content to a game).

I'm currently playing Borderlands 2 which was released late last year. They've already released two DLCs, with another scheduled 15 January, and a fourth before June this year.

However, DLCs usually have to be paid for, but the price is not that much. In the case of BL2, the first two DLCs have provided large additions (areas, weapons, enemies, etc.) to the game.

Note: It's of interest to see how many players that posted in this thread are still flogging that dead horse; you know the one: "We hate D3 because it's not like D2."

D3 is a new game, time to move on.
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 02:57 AMPosted by bjornh
I've been playing WoW for many years very actively too and I have seen how you do things; countless patches, fixes, nerfs, buffs, you name it. It just doesn't happen over night - Rome wasn't built in a day and I've known this all along - it keeps me playing because it's about 99.9 % likely that D3 will be in a totally different (and much better) state say one year from now. And I want to have been there since the start (killed Diablo solo a couple of weeks after launch with a Wiz).

Bjornh,

Re-read Vaelflares posts. You need to understand that Diablo III will not receive [b]anything[/]b like the content upgrade quality or frequency that WoW does.
Reply Quote
When LOD came out they were their own company, with 30 or 40 people and no budget. I assume now part of D3 was coded by a subcontractor, and only tweaked an worked on by a small handful of people...with Jay and friends making sure its they way they wanted it. The reason for the lack of developmental progress is lack or assigned staff, and probably a long an arduous approval process. Hence blizz waiting to 2015 for the expansion.

Right now, we should have info on upcoming expansion. We should already have pvp. No wait, we can't most barbs can deal 500k hits and will one shot eachother. Oops. Design flaw. We should have a release date for the expansion as well.

Instead. Its the wait. The grumbled 2014 about expansion. They work in year long timeframes, so we all know we wont see it until 2015.

As for the op. Dude. You people who just want lvl 60 from the start. omg. Its a game. Thats how its played. Your not gonna get your level hand out.

01/06/2013 04:54 PMPosted by KradisZ
lol Why would I read a wall of text to find out why a guy is quitting. I scrolled back up saw "NO LADDER" stopped there. We beat this horse to death many times. if he can't grasp why there is not a ladder then he has nothing to say that matters. Really He has the time to post a wall of text but not to take to understand why Blizzard made this change. Anybody can read the forums and repost what they see.

So you're saying 0 ranking and 0 competition is better and the current system is so much better? Hmm... *shrug*

Diablo 2, July 2000, Diablo 2 LOD June 2001 <- 1 year time lapse, big differences. Diablo 3 in new technology era, 8 months barely any flavor in new content.
Reply Quote
Well why do I get intelligence and strength when I para level? It is an absolutely useless stat for my DH. Why can't I allocate it between vitality and dexterity.

When you first hit Plvl. You should decide how the points are divided up. Me it would be 3 to one....dex/vit/.

Why doesn't intelligence or strength do anything for classes in which its not their main stat?

01/09/2013 04:16 AMPosted by Montus
We heavily iterated on the skill trees and stat points in Diablo III for quite some time, but we felt that they simply didn’t fit the direction we wanted to go with the game. They added artificial complexity to the game, but didn’t actually add much in the way of customization.

Anyone else noticing a trend here?

"Well, we were, uhhh... thinking about it real hard and stuff, and we thought... uhhh... !@#$ it."

"Well, we were uhhh... going to release PVP but... uhhh...."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]