Diablo® III

Criticising Diablo 3

Very nice post but Blizzard is happy with their dumbed down game and won't implement any of those ideas.
Reply Quote
KradisZ, gratz on the longest post ever posted on the forums. I didn't read it but good luck to you.
Reply Quote

I would hope its not just for, need some that's against that's the whole deal of discussion.

I'll stay neutral (silent) for now, as i'm a bit busy with my work as well. Maybe i'll argue against you if this thread is still alive next week ;)

PS. It does rile me up that CM's are more 'quiet' now and fixated self praise and polls.

That'd be delightful, lol I'm getting real busy with school since it just started again and its the final term. So won't be around here much, hope the against's aren't like Saig just saying I'm ranting zz didn't think rationale and explanation + dislike = rant, or claiming a suggestion I made had deep flaws without elaborating any deep flaws lol
Reply Quote
01/05/2013 03:25 AMPosted by Kwyjibo
Very nice post but Blizzard is happy with their dumbed down game and won't implement any of those ideas.

I sure hope they change something if not then... what a waste
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 1/6/2013 12:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
bump.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 has...
* Less shrines
* Less items(grays whites never useful ever, blues not considered these days, rare... rarely, mostly legendary)
* Less/No item enchantments (Goodbye mystic and goldsink)
* Smaller maps
* Less randomized maps (fixed storyline, at least d2's path to story is different even though the cathedrals and such were fixed but the ways leading there aren't)
* Less classes (the series left off with 7 at the end of d2)
* Less interesting quest rewards(gold + exp... not to mention Nerf on azmodan kill quest because ppl used it to power lvl to 60 early)
* NO LADDER
* NO PVP(not yet for over 8 months... most games that are RPG come with PvP at start.)
* Less gems
* No runes (as in the slottable kind)
* No jewels
* No charms
* God awful crafting (it's like as bad as loot drops but nothing special)
* No gambler (good bye gold sink)
* No cross travel between acts (tedium)
* No commas on GOLD auction house, no excuse about different currencies here, it's in your inventory gold your AH listings and trades but not in your input box. (poor excuse).

And the worst part of all this? It took them nearly twice as long to produce what we have in D3 than what it took the old Blizzard to accomplish in D2+LoD.
Reply Quote
Great post from some1 who has play diablo 1 and diablo 2.
Reply Quote
lol Why would I read a wall of text to find out why a guy is quitting. I scrolled back up saw "NO LADDER" stopped there. We beat this horse to death many times. if he can't grasp why there is not a ladder then he has nothing to say that matters. Really He has the time to post a wall of text but not to take to understand why Blizzard made this change. Anybody can read the forums and repost what they see.

So you're saying 0 ranking and 0 competition is better and the current system is so much better? Hmm... *shrug*

Diablo 2, July 2000, Diablo 2 LOD June 2001 <- 1 year time lapse, big differences. Diablo 3 in new technology era, 8 months barely any flavor in new content.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 1/6/2013 5:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
lol did you really write all that?
Reply Quote
01/06/2013 07:06 PMPosted by Phish
lol did you really write all that?

Yes except for the list of "Taken from other threads" part I added only the last few points starting @ no Gambler and placed all the extras in the parentheses on top of taking the points to add a bit more reasoning on it.

I write a lot to begin with so something of that size really isn't a big deal, I could've made it longer, and I think I might but. yeah
Reply Quote
Would also like to point out everyone saying D2 took years to get better and was a result of its expansion, well to refute you it took exactly 1 year and a month more to make D2 LOD's release and expansion of D2 at which point a plethora of content & updates on the D2's content was applied.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 1/7/2013 10:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
Would also like to point out everyone saying D2 took years to get better and was a result of its expansion, well to refute you it took exactly 1 year and a month more to make D2 LOD's release and expansion of D2 at which point a plethora of content & updates on the D2's content was applied.

I frankly don't even understand how can people even try to use the "it's not an expansion" argument to justify D3's lack of depth. The game should have been fabulous on release date, and periodically made better with refinement through patches as usual. Instead, it was released clearly incomplete and they've been improvising to try and make it better on the run without any apparent direction. It really sucks, because i think the game would have been a masterpiece with a few more months of proper development. Blizzard always delayed titles to ensure quality was top notch, anyways. I don't understand why they rushed this one so much...
Reply Quote
I frankly don't even understand how can people even try to use the "it's not an expansion" argument to justify D3's lack of depth.

It makes me wonder how actually bad the original D3 was
and why THAT team got fired.
Obviously this team made alot of money and secured themselves,
at least until the end of this particular project at which point
expect Mike Morhaime to say "we've decided for Diablo4
to go in a different direction".
Reply Quote
01/07/2013 03:42 PMPosted by Crocodilius
I frankly don't even understand how can people even try to use the "it's not an expansion" argument to justify D3's lack of depth.

It makes me wonder how actually bad the original D3 was
and why THAT team got fired.
Obviously this team made alot of money and secured themselves,
at least until the end of this particular project at which point
expect Mike Morhaime to say "we've decided for Diablo4
to go in a different direction".

The actual original D3 was to be an MMO FYI.
That team didn't get fired they voluntarily left due to conflict of interests (i.e. WoW ring a bell?) or maybe they did get fired whatever, doesn't change the fact that WoW was one of the main reasons.

Now the key players of that original D3(I assume you'er talking about the one that got trashed and replaced by what you have now) are CEOs or directors of their own companies. E.g. RunicGames & Gazillion Entertainment and etc.

And to say the least, PoE resembles that original D3 a lot.
This team may have made money with D3, but that's about it. Don't expect D4 or future Diablo anything to be 10 million sales+.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 1/7/2013 5:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Great post, OP. I think that your idea of the Bastion's Keep siege defense is terrific. It would do more for co-op/multi-play than an arena option at this point IMHO.

As far as the skills are concerned, I truly believe that the Blizz dev team tried to implement a skill/attribute system based off of D&D 4th Edition (which was actually based off of the system innovation in WoW). This system basically streamlined the allocation and usage of skills to implement and provide dynamic, "action packed" combat mechanics. However, they failed to understand that such a simplified system can only work when in-game combat represents one facet of the gameplay.

WoW, while highly dependent on PvE and PvP combat, contains an amazing variety of other in-game activities, items, and quests to keep players engaged and entertained (i.e. the RPG portion of the game). The amount of things one player can do to differentiate themselves from another is staggering. While WoW is an entirely different type of game than D3 (as it should be), the immense variety within the game allows players to ignore the fact that their characters (sans equipment) are all statistically the same endgame. Likewise, while the WoW skill tree contains skill point allocation, most follow a similar pattern according to build (tank, dps, healer).

D&D, obviously, provides an infinite way in which to customize one's character, as it is an RPG first and foremost (and not a videogame haha). However, the fact that it is a pen/paper game, illustrates why such a streamlined skill system can be a benefit to combat (i.e. make it more exciting).

D3, on the other hand, is a combat-centric game. There really are no actual RPG elements in the players journey through the game (nor were there in D1 or D2). Therefore, the primary way to customize one's character and make it unique was to play around with the attribute and skill system. By streamlining such a system, without providing any other gameplay variety or options, the devs have created a game where every character (sans equipment) is exactly the same. Since the only way to customize one's character is through equipment, D3 barely fits the definition of a modern RPG (and ARPG) IMHO.
Reply Quote
The actual original D3 was to be an MMO FYI.

Hell, Titan could be a Diablo MMO.
There are so many conflicting rumours
that it isn't a new IP or an FPS.

I know what the former dudes went on to do.
I have Hellgate, both Torchlights.
Again, neither of which is on the level of D2.
Path of Exile has been in beta for what? over a year?
I don't know when it's ever coming out so i can't
really throw my sense in on it.

You know what amazes the hell out of me?
To my knowledge, no other game has utilized the
Runeword system or anything like it to this point,
which is insane.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]