Diablo® III

[GUIDE] Weapon Throw Gameplay + Build

With the world ending at all, I figure today is as good a day as any to start (and possibly finish) releasing build guides for the multitude of quirky builds I've racked up this past year.

My first guide is the incredibly flexible Weapon Throw build that removes the need for generators via Battle Rage with Into the Fray. It also maximizes the benefits of the No Escape passive by using Weapon Throw and Ancient Spear for strong burst AoE damage through Wrath of the Berserker with Slaughter.

I recommend watching the Gameplay Preview first before the Build Guide itself as it is quite technical. Going forward, I'll be releasing guides for every class covering as many of the lesser used abilities and runes as I can.

Please feel free to critique me or offer feedback that I can use to improve my guides going forward :D

-----GAMEPLAY PREVIEW
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fs44X9TCdQ

-----WEAPON THROW BUILD GUIDE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysu5kMQ7KiQ

Build Calculator - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fdPkUR!ZYf!ZYbcZY

Axe + 300th Spear - http://d3up.com/b/968
Mighty Weapon + Sever - http://d3up.com/b/196806

You can find my channel at www.youtube.com/ProzaicMuze
Edited by ProzaicMuze#1158 on 2/4/2013 2:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
^ excellent footage.

I didn't realize Ancient Spear synergized so well with RLTW. Might give that a try.
Reply Quote
I was tempted to name the build after Ancient Spear because of how often I used it, but I figured someone would "correct" me by pointing out that you need another ability to attack with when it's on CD. It's definitely one of my favorite abilities across all of the classes :D
Reply Quote
View profile
^ nice. Is there any merit to Grappling Hooks? Or does Harpoon basically negate it?
Reply Quote
Grappling Hooks throws them out in a cone shaped like so: \ | / allowing you to hit spread out targets, but it only pulls the first 3 targets you hit. Harpoon is better in every other way.
Reply Quote
View profile
12/21/2012 06:18 PMPosted by ProzaicMuze
Harpoon is better in every other way.

Do you think maybe in PVP, grappling hooks would let you hook more consistently.
Reply Quote
Yes and no, the gaps between the 3 spears Grappling Hooks throws out would provide unreliability with the pull, but it would certainly give you a larger spread to work with. If the only purpose of Grappling Hooks is to snag someone, with practice I could see it being reasonably useful in that regard, especially given that PvP doesn't seem to be planned for larger than 3v3s. You could get their entire team on a perfect pull.
Reply Quote
Updated OP with links to both gear sets used in the videos for those who might have missed them.
Reply Quote
I'm running a weapon throw/slam/sprint build in hardcore. It's fast, fun, and efficient. Perma wrath on elites is a real luxury when you need it too. While the details of PvP are unknown, I hope the throw barbs will dominate!
Reply Quote
Just want to say that my Barb finally hit 60 and I bought some cheap Weapon Throw stuff to test water and man, I am IMPRESSED.

I am mostly a WD and sometimes I play Demon Hunter and Wizard but I am impressed by Barbarian's Weapon Throw with lvl 60 items. Damn... the synergy is just amazing.

With my cheap stuff, I think he is already doing mp3-4 better than my Demon Hunter. lol And that's sad...

Anyway, I am not a fan of Barbarian because it's just too common but just want to say Weapon Throw is very good for range builds.
Reply Quote
12/24/2012 02:26 PMPosted by saintnick1
I'm running a weapon throw/slam/sprint build in hardcore. It's fast, fun, and efficient. Perma wrath on elites is a real luxury when you need it too.

Which rune are you using with slam? I've been interested in trying a Weapon Throw build using the long range Slam rune with -10 Fury items.

12/24/2012 03:05 PMPosted by Jibikao
Just want to say that my Barb finally hit 60 and I bought some cheap Weapon Throw stuff to test water and man, I am IMPRESSED.

Gratz on 60 and glad you enjoyed it :D
Reply Quote
I do play weapon throw build when got bored from basic WW stuff.

When got high DPS in lower MP, i found that i didn't even have chances to use harpoon at all.

But yes in higher MP, i do find that my harpoon is like a spammable laser cannon.
Reply Quote
@saintnick1

12/24/2012 02:26 PMPosted by saintnick1
I'm running a weapon throw/slam/sprint build in hardcore. It's fast, fun, and efficient. Perma wrath on elites is a real luxury when you need it too. While the details of PvP are unknown, I hope the throw barbs will dominate!

Wow I play this build also, didn't know this build is viable in Hardcore too. Good to see people having fun with ranged builds. Pure ranged builds add another aspect of fun to playing a barb.

@ProzaicMuze

Which rune are you using with slam? I've been interested in trying a Weapon Throw build using the long range Slam rune with -10 Fury items.

You can use either Seismic Slam - Strength From Earth for low MP levels (0-2) exp farming or Seismic Slam - Rumble for higher MP levels. SS Rumble does additional procs with its Rumble effect which returns more LoH and fury (via BR-ITF).

Btw, very polished videos. Well done. :)

*Edit: @saintnick1 Didn't see you already posted in my Slam Build Guide too, replied you there.
Edited by Orion#6600 on 12/27/2012 6:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
Posted by Orion

You can use either Seismic Slam - Strength From Earth for low MP levels (0-2) exp farming or Seismic Slam - Rumble for higher MP levels. SS Rumble does additional procs with its Rumble effect which returns more LoH and fury (via BR-ITF).

Btw, very polished videos. Well done. :)

Thank yeh kindly, I'll play around with both!

Edit: Stupid gimped forum keeps removing your name from the quote >:(
Edited by ProzaicMuze#1158 on 12/27/2012 10:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
Just posted the guide for a Bola Shot Demon Hunter:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592579244
Reply Quote
nice guide
Reply Quote
Weapon throw is by far the best build as far as i'm concerned, just love it to bits and anything that puts range between me and the nasties cant be bad...

I've tryed WW with HOTA and just dont like it (i'm obviously doing something wrong).

Anyway +1 to a decent thread.

o/
Reply Quote
How much did it cost you for that gear? I'm interested in the throw barb. If you can see by my profile I like building characters. Rather than build one character godly strong I like playing all classes at viable levels and trying out new builds.
Edited by Reslin#1758 on 1/5/2013 8:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
Weapon throw is by far the best build as far as i'm concerned, just love it to bits and anything that puts range between me and the nasties cant be bad...

I've tryed WW with HOTA and just dont like it (i'm obviously doing something wrong).

Anyway +1 to a decent thread.

o/

perhaps u should try WT/WW/HOTA combined.. Or WT/WW/Rend.. Just WT alone will be quite slow, it's more of a pvp build..
Reply Quote
01/05/2013 08:14 AMPosted by Reslin
How much did it cost you for that gear? I'm interested in the throw barb.

The majority of the builds I'll be showing are on a 5-10mil budget while every so often a 10-15mil build will come along (Like the upcoming Hand of Ytar build that uses very specific gear). As a rule of thumb, I don't spend more than 2-3mil on a single item unless it's required to make that particular build work. It helps me afford gear for my builds and helps illustrate the idea that they really are viable. If I can make it to MP5 with 15mil or less, surely it's worth a larger gold investment for someone who loves the build.

It's entirely possible for you to find the same gear for even less (3-5mil or 7-10mil) as I typically iterate through gear until I find what works. You can jump straight to the right items for less.

01/05/2013 01:09 PMPosted by AKS
perhaps u should try WT/WW/HOTA combined.. Or WT/WW/Rend.. Just WT alone will be quite slow, it's more of a pvp build..

Another effective combo is Bash with Punish to replace Ancient Spear with Harpoon. You could even add Rend to replace War Cry. I didn't cover it in this build as I reserved this for the Weapon Throw Dread Bomb guide I'll mentioned in the video. I didn't want too much overlap in the guides.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]