Diablo® III

Fire Doctor Build

Here I post the build I did, and forgive me if something resembles other build(s). As our Universe of choice is limited, some skills may repeat. Recently I searched in the web and noticed some similar names, but this one is not copied from no one.

Fire Doctor Build

In the build "Pyrogeist as a mana source" I consider it is a matter of option to have, one one hand, a damage increase within a radious, or, in the other hand, a strong pet helping.

Pyrogeist as mana source:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ScUdgQ!TUY!Yacccb (with Slam Dance)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ScUdgT!TUY!YacccZ (with Garg)
*** Garg tested to MP7 in groups ***

Optional build (more life with infinite rain of frogs):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WcUdgT!TVY!bacccZ
*** it seems that is not working now on MP8 (in test) ***

Main difference between builds is that "Pyrogeist as a mana source" (thrown in the middle of the crowd) combines Vision Quest with Pyrogeist to increase your mana regeneration, while infinite rain of frogs (RoT) allow you to gain more life in selected areas of the battlefield.

Main objective is to hit and attack the more you can with fire and poison damage. With Grave Injustice (and better effect with increased radious) you reduce the cooldown of Soul Harvest and also, killing more, you generate more life globes, useful for Gruesome Feast. Combined, the result is an increase in the damage caused as criticals should also be high.

In the same way, the more you kill the more you get mana and life, beeing recquired a weapon that steals life and/or a mechanism for gaining life (as Blackthorne Pants and others, such as Sankis Axe).

In the RoT build (more life) Mojo and Zunimassa´s set are necessary for increased mana regeneration (also with Grave Injustice and with life globes), but not in the main build ("Pyrogeist as a mana source"), where 3 zuni´s set items had seem to be, in one hand, with a 2H weapon like Maximus, to be enough and, in the other hand, with a Sankis Axe and a zuni´s mojo (with 3 set items) also. This all will increase the time you can send firebats over an entire crowd of enemies. Spirit walk lets you get life globes faster.

Frogs (RoT) helps you with what cames close to you and in selected areas of the battlefield. Soul Harvest also helps in that. Slam Dance helps when an sudden increase of damage is needed, as for with elites.

Spirit walk lets you be where you want, restoring life in the case you need, and also reviving fellows died in a battle. Also lets you escape when freezed and also when caged from Diablo.

Gargantuan is the main pet of the build, that helps attacking, luring, and distracting enemies in the case you need. Fetish Sycophants are an option for the RoT build, since they are activated by it, but they are absent in the build "Pyrogeist as a mana source" since, on one hand, the slave of Maximus weapon also helps, and, in the other hand, Garg also (an interesting option instead Slam Dance, for the enraging rune).

Manitou is not freezed and while is over you it attacks anything close, helping to hit and attack with considerable damage (1667%).

I actually use high defenses and resistance to all, but is possible that with reduced defenses the damage could be increased.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added translation to portuguese in:

http://us.battle.net/d3/pt/forum/topic/7592399408 (Build do Doutor do Fogo - em Português)
Edited by B4n1sH3r#1263 on 1/13/2013 7:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
Zuni boots and tal rasha's damage gets converted to the damage type of skill you are using, e.g. bears does poison, SB does physical, blazing spiders does fire.

The adds X% poison does not do poison damage with WD attacks.

And to note, I've never seen anyone use exploding toads, I may try it out tonight just for fun.
Reply Quote
Hehehe, thanks.

I was using addling toads and recently changed to explosive toads, thanks for the comment !!! Addling toads get the effect of poison, but you made me think if I really will keep these explosive toads or change to the last, addling toads, or perhaps change Tal Rasha´s amulet to fire, anyway, thanks.

As I didn´t find an affordable amulet with fire, so I changed back to addling toads, with the benefits of confusion, and added "mixed" to the name of the build (at least till I find an appropriate amulet):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WcUdgT!TVY!YacccZ
Edited by B4n1sH3r#1263 on 1/4/2013 10:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hi B4n1sH3r,

Edit your post and take out the part

01/04/2013 09:50 AMPosted by B4n1sH3r
(from Zuni Boots and Tal Rasha´s amulet)
as like MCP said the gear damage gets converted to the skill you use.

Also if you are changing any skills make sure you change them in the original post.

Also, what is the highest MP level you have used the build at?

Thanks.
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 1/4/2013 12:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hi, skywalkerfx,

I did it as you requested and increased some information (about Spirit Walk and about mana regeneration).

Currently this build is beeing played in MP8.

Thanks for your comments.
Edited by B4n1sH3r#1263 on 1/4/2013 1:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
OK I'll put your build up later tonight in the Builds and Guides Index.

Take care.
Reply Quote
Thanks, I will try to keep security.

Just in time: I added an interesting variation which I am playing sometimes, very useful in the case you need more life (its with infinite rain of toads, just changing the rune).

And thanks for the opportunity to share this build with others.
Edited by B4n1sH3r#1263 on 1/4/2013 5:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
I recently added some information that i thought it was missing. It does not change what´s mainly written there.

Hope it helps.
Reply Quote
Added translation to portuguese in:

http://us.battle.net/d3/pt/forum/topic/7592399408 (Build do Doutor do Fogo - em Português)
Edited by B4n1sH3r#1263 on 1/6/2013 4:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
Added info about

"In Test" build (more life than optional build with Big Stinker)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WcUdgT!TVY!bacccY

[In time: it seems to cause less dmg]
Edited by B4n1sH3r#1263 on 1/8/2013 1:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 12:27 PMPosted by skywalkerfx
Also, what is the highest MP level you have used the build at?

01/04/2013 01:33 PMPosted by B4n1sH3r
Currently this build is beeing played in MP8.

Something recently changed I am not sure what it was, but I noticed that in the moment it doesn´t go well in MP8. It doesn´t explode monsters now as it was a few time ago.

It is still holding at MP5-6.
Edited by B4n1sH3r#1263 on 1/9/2013 9:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
After this,

01/09/2013 09:15 AMPosted by B4n1sH3r
Something recently changed I am not sure what it was, but I noticed that in the moment it doesn´t go well in MP8

And the comments I had been reading elsewhere, for those I want to say my sincere thanks,

I post here a new design for the build, with primary and secondary weapons as fire:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ScUdgQ!TUY!Yacccb (with Slam Dance)

Pyrogeist is mana source. Throw it in the middle of the crowd.

Changed to 2H weapon (Maximus, with a new pet on it - lol), and added Slam Dance for increased dmg (reducing the need for something like Pierce the Veil). Now playing without complete zuni´s set (3 items). Alternatively, Sankis and a zuni´s mojo (with 3 set items) is also looking a reasonable approach for me.

Optionally, with Garg:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ScUdgT!TUY!YacccZ (with Garg)

I hope you enjoy it.

Have a nice game !

In time: Comments are appreciated. Thanks !
Edited by B4n1sH3r#1263 on 1/11/2013 9:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hi. I've been running my current Fire build on my WD "Pestilence" for some time now. Over the last few months I've put in about 500 hours with this build and used it to Para 42 and Para 47 before I died to disconnect both times.

I play exclusively Hardcore so please do not expect my DPS #'s to match up with yours.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Diomedes-1380/hero/30140290

The goal of my build was to speed-run A3MP0 and 1-shot everything using Searing Locusts. It works incredibly well and levels me up very quickly. Searing Locusts is like Rend with Auto-Aim, and when combined with +fire skill items and +skill% items it is incredibly powerful. However, since it is a non-stackable DoT it does not scale too well in groups.

I can appreciate you using Pyrogeist as a mana source (and by that I think you mean mana saver because you only have to cast it 1 time in 6 seconds?) but I think you are losing too much DPS by not using Ghostbomb or Flash Fire.

Although Maximus is cool to use, I think that Sankis is better because of the added (massive) dps bonuses that come from a Mojo.

On my current US Fire WD I often crit for 500-600K, which is impressive with 77k base dps (when I put on Pierce the Veil).

I am an American who has recently moved to Asia, and I have stopped playing on the US Server due to lag and disconnect issues. I have recently restarted my build on Asia ( http://kr.battle.net/d3/ko/profile/Diomedes-1380/hero/22875573 ) and it is much cheaper to put together than my US Build. I am looking for a Tals Helm/Ammy and a Fire Dmg Locust SoJ like I have on US.

One thing I am on the fence about is using a Tals Ammy/Helm for the added 8% Fire dmg bonus (5% on ammy, 3% from set bonus) or using a powerful Ammy with an excellent +14% Locust Dmg Visage of Guyaya or whatever it's called. I have been messing around with the Visage on Asia because it is cheaper than a Tal's, and I have been getting excellent results (although I do miss the life bonus on Tals!).

One thing I've found is that I get absolutely pwned by Reflects Dmg, mostly because there is very little room for LoH in the build. I am no longer using Burning Dogs for exactly this reason, they do very little damage as fire and in return I get hit by RD far too much when I encounter it. Several smaller AoE hits from the burning dogs definitely adds up, and I have seen much better results when NOT using Burning Dogs.

Similarly, I find that using Burning Spiders as a primary can be very useful against Reflects Damage because the spiders each hit 2 times and there are 4 spiders per urn (8 hits!), and have a higher proc rate for LoH than the Burning Dog's burn effect.

Although I sometimes miss the spammability of bears, Exploding Beast does it's job very well for single targets while giving me a little extra range to stay out of they way of some big baddies. I miss the 360-degree "everything dies" effect of Bears, but in reality Bears are more of a "win-more" skill than a "save your !@#$" skill. I found that most often I was using bears against a large mob of whites (Tormented Stingers anyone?) when really it just wasn't necessary.

I am still confused about +fire dmg / + fire skill dmg and I will be reading up more on that today.

Burn On,
Dio
Edited by Diomedes#1380 on 1/26/2013 7:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hi Dio, thanks for the comment and sorry for the time gone since you posted without answer. I had been a bit busy over here.

There it goes !

I can appreciate you using Pyrogeist as a mana source (and by that I think you mean mana saver because you only have to cast it 1 time in 6 seconds?) but I think you are losing too much DPS by not using Ghostbomb or Flash Fire.

Yep, its a mana saver that attacks over time.

On my current US Fire WD I often crit for 500-600K, which is impressive with 77k base dps (when I put on Pierce the Veil).

Man, what can I say to you about this, you can trade off benefits of increased mana cost of Pierce the Veil with increased attack speed and mana regeneration, which will allow you to make more attacks over time, and consequently doing more damage. I don´t know if it possible to equally compensate them, but its a design option. Currently I am playing with 1.96 attacks by second with 1.250 life on hit basis and with Rain of Toads as primary and Acid Cloud as secondary, which is rendering me lots of life, even considering that I have a low defense (also Horrify, Frightening aspect in a numbered button), and also more mana (with Vision Quest).

Link to the build I am currently playing: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WeUXRT!UaY!bccYbZ / (sometimes with Sycophants) http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WeUXRT!UaV!bccYbZ / (for hardcore, I think could be necessary Spirit Vessel, something like http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WeUXRT!Uae!bccYbZ )

Although Maximus is cool to use, I think that Sankis is better because of the added (massive) dps bonuses that come from a Mojo.

Yep, and the actual price of Sankis is reasonable.

One thing I am on the fence about is using a Tals Ammy/Helm for the added 8% Fire dmg bonus (5% on ammy, 3% from set bonus) or using a powerful Ammy with an excellent +14% Locust Dmg Visage of Guyaya or whatever it's called. I have been messing around with the Visage on Asia because it is cheaper than a Tal's, and I have been getting excellent results (although I do miss the life bonus on Tals!).

Tal Rasha´s chest gives lots of damage and makes the 2 items set and lets the option of the helmet you will use up to you.

Currently I am playing with Visage with 2 items with fire resistance and with Jungle Fortitude, with lower resistances between 550-600 (a bit low, but it´s sustaining on MP7, fire resistance 100 higher than that). And Visage´s price really makes it an interesting option, if you find one with low fire penalties (close to 5% in Fire Damage Taken).

One thing I've found is that I get absolutely pwned by Reflects Dmg, mostly because there is very little room for LoH in the build. I am no longer using Burning Dogs for exactly this reason, they do very little damage as fire and in return I get hit by RD far too much when I encounter it. Several smaller AoE hits from the burning dogs definitely adds up, and I have seen much better results when NOT using Burning Dogs.

Something was corrected about reflect damage in last update, but Burning Dogs and Big Stinker cause so much damage on you on Siege Breaker that it almost eliminates builds that rely on these runes, what is sad (I posted it as a bug on forum recently). Leeching Beasts rune doesn´t have this penalty.

About LoH on build, the 1.250 LoH I get is on Blackthorn Paints, Unity ring and a 1H weapon I use. Other places such as amulet also gives LoH, but I agree on the difficulty of finding a good equipment.

Have fun !
Edited by B4n1sH3r#1263 on 4/28/2013 6:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Dio, one more thing: recently I changed pyrogeist to spider queen, which renders same effect with seamingly more efficiency.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]