Diablo® III

DoTs, SS, and NightStalker

Hey guys -

I've been messing around with NightStalker + SS -
Basically, the tooltip for SS says that the critical hit chance is reset after 1 second -
so that means ANY damage done after the initial crit for 1 second should be a critical hit.

I've read all about procs, coefficients, and that outdated LoH % proc spreadsheet, but I'm trying to get the most possible return on discipline by synergizing NightStalker with SS.

Cinder arrow reportedly returns a 130% proc coefficient, but I am having a hard time comparing the discipline return with NS compared to other runes like Shatter Shot and Devouring arrow - even puncturing arrow. The return all seems the same? Does the DoT from cinder crit? I don't see yellow numbers..

I really hate the fundamental internal mechanics of this game are not clear, hence why I created this thread in the general discussion forum. Please share your input if you feel I'm right http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415642757
Edited by CEYZILLA#1708 on 12/18/2012 1:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
No. When You Crit with SS you will crit for 1 second worth of crits no matter when SS crits for the first time. It doesn't have to be at 100 for this to be true. It is whenever you crit.

you are already running 37% CC (based on your profile sheet) of 27.5% CC and then you get the 10% CC from Arch running 1h xbows.

here is the problem I see.....

with 37% or so CC you will crit on average about 1 out of every 3 shots.

Spiked traps will also help with the multi-blasts from it to help regen disc.

the strangest thing I see on your profile (not to be harsh but very very strange) is your HP to AR. You have like 600+ AR .. but only 22k HP? this is very strange setup... and you would be probably, for survivability, be better running 400 AR with 40k HP over your current setup.... anyhooooo just an observation.

You are already probably shooting 2.55-2.7% based on your high ASI. So you are critting anyway every second. so in reality if you crit once per second you aren't gaining much DPS and the CC isn't building much for you as it is activating and resetting. If you are farming lower MP levels like MP0/1 I'd use VENGEANCE over SS. you increase your hatred... and you get 25 hatred and 2 disc from every health globe. That will do more for your disc I think against large packs than the SS is probably doing for you from what I can see.
Reply Quote
No. When You Crit with SS you will crit for 1 second worth of crits no matter when SS crits for the first time. It doesn't have to be at 100 for this to be true. It is whenever you crit.

you are already running 37% CC (based on your profile sheet) of 27.5% CC and then you get the 10% CC from Arch running 1h xbows.

here is the problem I see.....

with 37% or so CC you will crit on average about 1 out of every 3 shots.

Spiked traps will also help with the multi-blasts from it to help regen disc.

the strangest thing I see on your profile (not to be harsh but very very strange) is your HP to AR. You have like 600+ AR .. but only 22k HP? this is very strange setup... and you would be probably, for survivability, be better running 400 AR with 40k HP over your current setup.... anyhooooo just an observation.

You are already probably shooting 2.55-2.7% based on your high ASI. So you are critting anyway every second. so in reality if you crit once per second you aren't gaining much DPS and the CC isn't building much for you as it is activating and resetting. If you are farming lower MP levels like MP0/1 I'd use VENGEANCE over SS. you increase your hatred... and you get 25 hatred and 2 disc from every health globe. That will do more for your disc I think against large packs than the SS is probably doing for you from what I can see.

Thanks for the response Bubba,

I definitely knew about the 1 second SS thing, I was only using 100% for the sake of the discussion =] -- but my main issue is if the DoTs on Cinder arrow Crit for that additional 1 second crit as well since I don't see any yellow numbers, nor a difference in discipline gained (via NS) compared to other HA runes.

I also have 42.5 CC (with the Archery passive), and yes - I do shoot very, very, very fast, but the point of SS for me was that additional 1 second worth of crits to go with NS. Not to inflate my DPS or anything like that, but to work with NS.

I can also understand the 22k life confusion, lol. Almost everyone is confused about it. The truth is, I have so much life regen / AR + Gloom that I actually never, ever die. I run MP4-MP6 comfortably and often swap out SS for Tactical Adv if I run solo. If I'm playing with some friends, I'll throw on a Hellfire with crit dmg + an additional 9k life, and swap out the Nat's ring for a decent Litany.

I also have a stunlock build that I run MP5/6 on with only 30k life - consists of a high DPS Windforce + high dex/vit Dead Man's Legacy - I don't even need to run Gloom on that one.

When I dual wield I love to move around like a ninja, I'm all over the map (but don't kite). It's at on of fun!
Edited by CEYZILLA#1708 on 12/18/2012 1:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
I guess I'm out of the conversation...... I know teeth rune crits well and with NS works well. I don't use cinder arrow. My understanding was that cinder-arrow works GREAT with LoH procs but have no idea about NS Procs with that rune.
Reply Quote
12/18/2012 01:47 PMPosted by BubbaGump
I guess I'm out of the conversation...... I know teeth rune crits well and with NS works well. I don't use cinder arrow. My understanding was that cinder-arrow works GREAT with LoH procs but have no idea about NS Procs with that rune.

I wish the game was more clear in that sense, I really do.
And my bad, I should have worded my original post better when I mentioned the 100% SS. That's my fault!
Reply Quote
Anyone else have any idea?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]