Diablo® III

Diablo III Players Banned for Botting

12/20/2012 09:04 AMPosted by Moxx

You have 96k Elite Kills.. yet level 5 Paragon.. WHAT did you do? O.o

EDIT: I have near 30k only.. but I'm PLevel 66 already. Farmed Gold so much?

Some people played alot before they added paragon....

There's that but.. still. he hasn't progressed in Act 1. He's in Act 1 and never stepped on Act 2. ^_^

90k Kills and those equips? MUST BE A HEAVY STRING of bad luck to not get any sizable drops.
Reply Quote
Hey all -

short video discussion about the bot ban, expectations, and impact on the economy:

http://youtu.be/tlSozy3UNaM

Check it out and let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Cheers 0/

RTG Sibcoe
-----------------
www.youtube.com/redteamgaming
www.twitter.com/redteamgaming
www.facebook.com/Sibcoe
Reply Quote
Good job blizzard, keep up the good work. Dont ever announce when you are about to do a big ban wave of bots but always do it first then announce.

**Play the game Legit or dont play at all**
Edited by NeLLy#1854 on 12/21/2012 8:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
Here is how u get rid of alot of botters....NOBODY BUY FROM THE RMAH!
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 02:25 PMPosted by GameKing
This was really good read!! Thank you Blizzard and keep up good work! 8)

And this accout is a fake, just for self made positive feedback to balance stuff
Reply Quote
PARTY!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GggY4TEYbk

and so is this one. lame
Reply Quote
Great, now improve the RNG rolls cuz that was like half our player base you banned - I can't upgrade crap now, no good items! Serious situation!
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 12/21/2012 11:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/21/2012 09:58 AMPosted by Looticrous

Well, here, think of it this way. We (even botters) all paid 50, 60 or 100$ for this game. Blizzard bans are permanent. Would you really want to falsely lose your account with no recourse? Personally I'm happy they took their time to make sure the ones "caught" were real botters. Could they have done it sooner? Sure. There are some players who play 10+ hours a day, some even more. I'm glad I'm not doing that anymore, but there was definitely a time in D2 that I was. So you can't just ban for time on; assuming its not 24/7. Some (actual humans) run the same exact run over and over again, using the same wp's, etc. So it might not be so easy to just assume someone who makes a game and does the same run is botting.

On the plus side, I don't see too many posts stating "you banned me but I wasn't botting" so it seems they did a good job getting some of a major botters. In the long run, botters will never go away though, so in truth, they should be a bit more agressive. Reading some of the botting forms, it seems about 1/2 of the users were "caught" Couldn't distinguish if it was random or a particular run, time online, or what; but lots of them lost their main and some secondary accounts.

Get outa town this had nothing to do with "taking their time to make sure the ones caught were actually botters." This was about good press before Christmas and before competitors like PoE go open beta. Not to mention it's on the heals of D3 being among the most searched terms but as Forbes pointed out the searches were not positive. Things like "why doesn't d3 work, D3 is terrible things like that.

This was a pr move. Botters bring HUGE money into the rmah and although the people on the lower levels of the company are all about banning bots the people above them that make the final call sit on it and do nothing. This is painfully obvious.

Blizzard is worried about PoE??? Never. Plus I tried PoE for a week and it is a very weak beta.
PoE will be super hacked and botted
Good job blizzard
Reply Quote
Why are only bots banned. Take those spammers out of the game too. Till yesterday I had 1 friendship invitation but today there were 10 (9 of them announcing the same site). What will you do against them?
Reply Quote
12/18/2012 02:39 PMPosted by Lylirra
We've recently issued account bans to several thousand Diablo III players who were found to be using botting programs while playing.

Seems a little too low even if you consider the notion that most of the 10 million players have quit.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 12/21/2012 8:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
no offense, but this is already a bit late...most of the players have already left

and not to mention how guidwars2 was sooooooo ahead of blizzard at aggressively banning bots despite being released 3 months later than diablo3 did
Reply Quote
you dont ban players for botting. this is just pr. i have been reporting a botting player since a month now and nothing happened.
Reply Quote
i cant play this game. why is it lagging?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Banning bots doesn't solve the real problem. It's only treating the symptom.
The reason why there are so many bots is because there's a market for it.

You have players getting so frustrated at not being able to farm the items they want that they end up buying them. From bots.

They could prevent botting much better by making drop rates not completely suck.

That's ridiculous. The set of gear you can buy right now for 100 mil compared to the set of gear you could buy 3 months ago for 100 mil is just miles ahead by every measurement, yet people are still buying gear on the RMAH. And the gear that would've sold for $100 a few months ago is essentially worthless now.

It's all relative. People don't buy gear because it's "good". They buy it because it's better than the other pieces of gear. You could make a legendary drop every 5 minutes and people would still buy gear. They'd just pay for the top 1% of legendaries rather than the top 10%. You can see that in D2's economy. The price difference between a perfect BoTD and and a 90% BoTD is astronomical.
Edited by Illmaticus#1834 on 12/22/2012 9:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
The economy got ruined by botters. Its discouraging for fair players coz bots can just farm 24/7 which is something we cant do. xDD
Reply Quote
I looked up botting, and there are programs that can detect this sort of thing. So I hope Blizz is using them more often. Bots are hurting the game as other players have stated. I don't know what Blizz is using but I hope it is a good program that can spot bots.

But thanks Blizz for getting some of these nasty players off the game, and hope you are aware that some will just get another game and start all over agin. I hope Blizz has a plan to deal with this. Botting is hurting the game and the players
Reply Quote
Well, here, think of it this way. We (even botters) all paid 50, 60 or 100$ for this game. Blizzard bans are permanent. Would you really want to falsely lose your account with no recourse?

I disagree with this, entirely. I botted on 12 accounts simultaneously and made my money back on copies purchased and then some easily. I knew it wouldn't last forever, but I also knew it'd be easy money. To say there is no recourse is silly, am I going to be botting anymore? No. But, only because they are able to detect DemonBuddy now. This game, was and still is a joke and is largely broken. I haven't checked, but the last time I logged on after the large ban wave, gold prices dropped even more (further proving that this game is dead. However, they could've gone back up so I may be wrong.) The last time I sold gold on the RMAH, it was $0.36 per million.

Personally I'm happy they took their time to make sure the ones "caught" were real botters. Could they have done it sooner? Sure. There are some players who play 10+ hours a day, some even more. I'm glad I'm not doing that anymore, but there was definitely a time in D2 that I was. So you can't just ban for time on; assuming its not 24/7. Some (actual humans) run the same exact run over and over again, using the same wp's, etc. So it might not be so easy to just assume someone who makes a game and does the same run is botting.

I think they could've banned people a lot sooner but chose not to. The following is just my personal opinion. Clearly Blizzard gets their 15% cut off of every RMAH sale, bots were big business for the personal user as well as Blizzard. Everyone was winning except for the people who played legitimately. I also ran all 12 of my bots 24/7, the only time they were logged off was due to the Tuesday maintenance each week.

On the plus side, I don't see too many posts stating "you banned me but I wasn't botting" so it seems they did a good job getting some of a major botters. In the long run, botters will never go away though, so in truth, they should be a bit more agressive. Reading some of the botting forms, it seems about 1/2 of the users were "caught" Couldn't distinguish if it was random or a particular run, time online, or what; but lots of them lost their main and some secondary accounts.

I think with any online game there will always be some kind of hack/expolit that exists. However, with Diablo 3 specifically, and the fact that real money was involved, I feel this game is a prime target for botters and hackers alike. I also feel that it wasn't in Blizzard's best interest to do away with the botters so quickly, because they were making them more money that legitimate players ever could in the amount of time since the game was released.
Edited by Fantasy#1692 on 12/23/2012 8:27 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]