Diablo® III

Comcast Customers: Latency(Severe Lag) Issues

East coast Comcast Extreme 105 subscriber here. I've had this service for roughly 16 months now. Beginning in October there came about some strange latency in game and frame drops on stream. The issue became progressively worse. I know I'm not the only customer to have noticed this. A quick search of the web returns thousands of hits. Many of them originate from the Blizzard and Twitch.tv forums.

I've outlined the issues here as to save space as well as to save time having to retype this for my audience:
https://sites.google.com/site/illicitmediaontwitch/comcast-recent-lag

As mentioned the issue appears to be, at least for the time being, related to the ATT backbone since that's where the data seems to mysteriously disappear. Numerous ping and speed tests have shown that during these lag spikes it isn't my download but rather my upload speed that is nearly nonexistent. What is normally a 22 upload becomes a 1.xx upload. So far there are no known causes or solutions but thousands of customers are experiencing this.

What I'd would like to know is if any non east coast players and/or live directors have been experiencing these issues for the past 1-3 months. Any help, ideas, possible solutions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure we would all like to get back to playing the game the way it was meant to be played and that is without having it freeze up like a slideshow for 10 seconds before fast forwarding.

Happy Holidays,
Sean
Edited by iLLiCiTMedia#1780 on 12/25/2012 5:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
I'm getting severe latency problems on Diablo 3 only. Occasionally I'll get a window of about an hour where I can play without lag. Usually it's so bad that I lock up for a 5-45 seconds, and it occurs every 10-20 seconds. I live in the mid-west, and use Century Link DSL though. The problems didn't start until early this week.
Reply Quote
12/25/2012 05:54 AMPosted by Zarine
I'm getting severe latency problems on Diablo 3 only. Occasionally I'll get a window of about an hour where I can play without lag. Usually it's so bad that I lock up for a 5-45 seconds, and it occurs every 10-20 seconds. I live in the mid-west, and use Century Link DSL though. The problems didn't start until early this week.

Out of curiosity if you perform a tracert to, say, battle.net does it fail shortly after connecting to att.net services?
Edited by iLLiCiTMedia#1780 on 12/25/2012 5:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
This is my latest trace.

Tracing route to 12.129.209.68 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 5 ms 3 ms 3 ms 192.168.2.1
2 4 ms 12 ms 20 ms 192.168.0.1
3 47 ms 46 ms 84 ms mpls-dsl-gw60.mpls.qwest.net [207.225.140.60]
4 46 ms 46 ms 46 ms mpls-agw1.inet.qwest.net [75.168.229.217]
5 56 ms 76 ms 57 ms chp-brdr-03.inet.qwest.net [67.14.8.194]
6 56 ms 74 ms 68 ms 63.146.26.218
7 107 ms 106 ms 107 ms cr1.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.84.54]
8 104 ms 111 ms 195 ms cr2.dvmco.ip.att.net [12.122.31.85]
9 105 ms 106 ms 110 ms cr1.slkut.ip.att.net [12.122.30.25]
10 106 ms 106 ms 108 ms cr2.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.30.30]
11 103 ms 102 ms 102 ms gar29.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.129.241]
12 107 ms 104 ms 104 ms 12-122-254-238.attens.net [12.122.254.238]
13 104 ms 104 ms 103 ms 206.16.68.46
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.

And then this:

Tracing route to 12.129.209.68 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 4 ms 3 ms 2 ms 192.168.2.1
2 3 ms 4 ms 5 ms 192.168.0.1
3 46 ms 47 ms 46 ms mpls-dsl-gw60.mpls.qwest.net [207.225.140.60]
4 46 ms 46 ms 45 ms mpls-agw1.inet.qwest.net [75.168.229.217]
5 56 ms 58 ms 56 ms chp-brdr-03.inet.qwest.net [67.14.8.194]
6 57 ms 59 ms 57 ms 63.146.26.218
7 112 ms 108 ms 105 ms cr1.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.84.54]
8 105 ms 108 ms 108 ms cr2.dvmco.ip.att.net [12.122.31.85]
9 105 ms 110 ms 105 ms cr1.slkut.ip.att.net [12.122.30.25]
10 108 ms 107 ms 105 ms cr2.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.30.30]
11 165 ms 172 ms 104 ms gar29.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.129.241]
12 230 ms 207 ms 218 ms 12.122.251.190
13 104 ms 104 ms 104 ms 206.16.68.46
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
Edited by Zarine#1214 on 12/25/2012 6:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
Exact same results. After I touch att.net it goes to hell. Look at it getting shuffled around under the various octets. This may not even be an ISP issue as much as a location issue. Users to the east or west of a certain location trying to reach that location are being funneled through this mess.

One suggested fix was to use Google DNS. Trying it. No help. I'm probably not going to revert back as I see no difference for the better or for the worse. I used 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in my router.
Edited by iLLiCiTMedia#1780 on 12/25/2012 6:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
Exact same results. After I touch att.net it goes to hell. Look at it getting shuffled around under the various octets. This may not even be an ISP issue as much as a location issue. Users to the east or west of a certain location trying to reach that location are being funneled through this mess.

One suggested fix was to use Google DNS. Trying it. No help. I'm probably not going to revert back as I see no difference for the better or for the worse. I used 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in my router.

I actually had the Google DNS before, and decided to try without it. Didn't help at all. Last I saw, Blizzard is still refusing to admit the problem is on their end. More and more people are posting about this problem each day, and I really hope they do something soon.
Reply Quote

I actually had the Google DNS before, and decided to try without it. Didn't help at all. Last I saw, Blizzard is still refusing to admit the problem is on their end. More and more people are posting about this problem each day, and I really hope they do something soon.

I won't completely rule out a Blizzard issue but I must point out that when this occurs in game I drop frames as well on my stream. Never one without the other. Which is odd, right? The en.twitch.tv (without the en it always fails and times out for me) tracert I don't even touch the att.net lines.
Reply Quote
I would be highly interested in seeing some tracert results from some east and west coast players as well as some east and west coast players that use FiOS.

I do not know who controls the routing of this traffic. It could be the ISP's or the owners of the servers. Whatever the case may be I do know this. It's very odd that the UPLOAD and not the DOWNLOAD speed is really low when this is going on. Usually in game lag comes from the lack of download speed or poor line quality. Under normal circumstances I sit at 122 down and 22 up. Ping tests are excellent with no packet loss. If the Twitch.tv tracert reveals no att.net lines then I can not figure out why I would be dropping frames. That is unless my connection to Blizzard is causing the dropped frames because it's attempting so fiercely to push the data through the att.net lines. I really don't know.
Reply Quote

I won't completely rule out a Blizzard issue but I must point out that when this occurs in game I drop frames as well on my stream. Never one without the other. Which is odd, right? The en.twitch.tv (without the en it always fails and times out for me) tracert I don't even touch the att.net lines.

I'm able to stream and play any other game simultaneously without any problems. Even when I lock up in Diablo, Twitch keeps going on 1080p smoothly if I'm running it. I figured Twitch was causing Diablo to lag, but turning it off doesn't yield any better results. What I find weird is that I can play WoW without any problems as well.
Reply Quote

I'm able to stream and play any other game simultaneously without any problems. Even when I lock up in Diablo, Twitch keeps going on 1080p smoothly if I'm running it. I figured Twitch was causing Diablo to lag, but turning it off doesn't yield any better results. What I find weird is that I can play WoW without any problems as well.

If I'm not mistaken WoW has more servers, no? If it has servers in various US locations and D3 does not then this would explain that. Your traffic would be going through a better route.

So when you're streaming D3 your game is lagging but you are not dropping frames, correct?

I assume your game is lagging when you are not streaming as well. This is the case for me.
Reply Quote

If I'm not mistaken WoW has more servers, no? If it has servers in various US locations and D3 does not then this would explain that. Your traffic would be going through a better route.

So when you're streaming D3 your game is lagging but you are not dropping frames, correct?

I assume your game is lagging when you are not streaming as well. This is the case for me.

Right. I don't drop frames, but I lag pretty much all of the time. Sometimes I'll get a window of an hour or so, where I don't lag at all. Makes for very slow paragon leveling.
Reply Quote

Right. I don't drop frames, but I lag pretty much all of the time. Sometimes I'll get a window of an hour or so, where I don't lag at all. Makes for very slow paragon leveling.

Right on. Same exact experience. It is increasingly frustrating. Streaming is becoming my full time job and while Diablo III is my current "thing" it won't always be that way. Even if this isn't a Blizzard issue it certainly wouldn't hurt them to help find a solution. Their player base is greatly effected by this.

I think I need to isolate the problem here. If I stream any other game for 8 hours without dropping frames or lag spiking in game then it has something to do with the way traffic is being routed to Blizzard servers for D3. I just performed a tracert on live-iad-backup.justin.tv which I believe to be the Ashburn, VA Secondary server. Perfect results. No att.net hops. This would lead me to believe that the failed route to Blizzard is somehow stressing my network similar to a DoS attack.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]