Diablo® III

PVP is easy to implement; here's how.

Good post op, and anyone with a brain should be able too see pvp should have damage reduction (because of the way damage scales).
Imo there's still a too large gap between decently geared damage and top geared damage (easily 6x the difference) because damage scales highly exponential. In D2, it was easy to reach 10k damage as a hammerdin, but even the most godly and damage focused hammerdins never surpassed 19k.

But this really can't be fixed without overhauling all math behind character dps. 'Pvp flag' is an decent solution. For reference, the damage reduction in D2 was 1/6
Reply Quote
Anyone with a brain should be able to see that pvp can't have much damage reduction because of the way ehp scales. Because ehp stacks exponentially.
Reply Quote
View profile
Or have blizzard make PVP only gear that you have no control of, and that gear makes everyone even armor and attribute wise. Everything after that will be skill based, so no one would have the right to !@#$% about how over powered one person is over another. Was the only good thing to come out of Guild Wars 2 sPVP.

OMG the worst idea ever. This IS NOT WOW. I do not want this game like WoW and most diablo players don't either. If I wanted to play WoW I would but I hate that game and don't want diablo to be anything like it in the PvP department. This game is a trading game and about NO ONE having the same stats ever!! Which makes it for a more unique experience. To have PvP gear would totally take away from diablo and they should change the name of the game if that were to happen.
Reply Quote
View profile
02/04/2013 08:25 AMPosted by Josef
Anyone with a brain should be able to see that pvp can't have much damage reduction because of the way ehp scales. Because ehp stacks exponentially.

Thankyou!!!! I have 1.7mil EHP in the duels I am doing already and have great mobility around the map I am not taking hits for 1. and 2. when I do get hit I am not getting 1 shot. If I were to double my unbuff EHP which isn't hard to do to where it was 3mil. Then add elite damage reduction gear which players are elites if you didn't know that. Then you are a tank. If I had even more dmg reduction from another stat. With the 5380 life regen I have per sec. How would I ever die ever!! This would be so stupid boring it would be totally ridiculous. How about everyone goes and gets the gear you need to compete in PvP.

1. Armor gear with life regen, all resist.
2. Vit gems.
3. Reduce Elite damage
4. Blocking, Dodge
5. Melee and Ranged damage reduction
6. Reduce CC by %

7. This is the most important use PvP skills that allow you to be Diverse not get 1 shot and compete.

Just because there is a huge learning curve in PvP currently and you get 1 shot in your PvE gear doesn't mean it needs to be nerfed. Just get this gear watch some PvP videos and adapt its really not that hard.

Abomb out- Knowledge is Power!!
Edited by Abomb247#1301 on 2/4/2013 8:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 08:26 AMPosted by Abomb247
Or have blizzard make PVP only gear that you have no control of, and that gear makes everyone even armor and attribute wise. Everything after that will be skill based, so no one would have the right to !@#$% about how over powered one person is over another. Was the only good thing to come out of Guild Wars 2 sPVP.

OMG the worst idea ever. This IS NOT WOW. I do not want this game like WoW and most diablo players don't either. If I wanted to play WoW I would but I hate that game and don't want diablo to be anything like it in the PvP department. This game is a trading game and about NO ONE having the same stats ever!! Which makes it for a more unique experience. To have PvP gear would totally take away from diablo and they should change the name of the game if that were to happen.

You can already do this if you want . People just buy gear from the vendor before game. Its fair because every one has access to the same items.
Reply Quote
View profile
You can already do this if you want . People just buy gear from the vendor before game. Its fair because every one has access to the same items.

They can do that and ill wear my PvP set with EHP and 1 shot them. No Breaks.
Reply Quote
Abomb247
View profile

They can do that and ill wear my PvP set with EHP and 1 shot them. No Breaks.

I don't disagree with you, I haven't dueled very much on ptr but from what ive seen it is actually pretty balanced as it is. People exaggerate about the one hit thing. I dont think anyone ever 1 hit me, and my WD is far from having a pvp gear setup. I got owned most of the time but thats what i would expect considering the gear i have. If they nerfed damage to 5% like the op suggests then barbs like yours would be invincible and even modestly geared players like mine would be extremely hard to kill.

All I was suggesting is that if you dont have the gear you could always find some people to do "blue" duels with. NO need for pvp gear.
Reply Quote
View profile
I don't disagree with you, I haven't dueled very much on ptr but from what ive seen it is actually pretty balanced as it is. People exaggerate about the one hit thing. I dont think anyone ever 1 hit me, and my WD is far from having a pvp gear setup. I got owned most of the time but thats what i would expect considering the gear i have. If they nerfed damage to 5% like the op suggests then barbs like yours would be invincible and even modestly geared players like mine would be extremely hard to kill. All I was suggesting is that if you dont have the gear you could always find some people to do "blue" duels with. NO need for pvp gear.

Pretty much. I mean why people complain is they walk in the uber PvE dps gear with 500k EHP and bad resist. They also are half brain dead from a lil to much farming and get 1 shot cause they are using the same skills from farming. If they took half the time to educate themselves to what EHP is since most probably only are familiar with how to burn a uber boss and pick up beams then they would never get 1 shot.

Before I even step 1 foot into PvP I took the time to watch PvP videos on strat vs each class as I was downloading the PTR. To figure out counters to go along with the builds and theory crafting I did extensively. Guess what happened when I got into my first room. I did extremely well. Not only that I had time to help some other chars with gear ideas and skills. The learning curve is extremely hi and you have to know your enemy and each of there abilities and how to counter it or you will just get nuked.

If the game gets dummy down then it doesn't become about being good and utilizing skills to stay alive. It becomes about I don't have to kite anymore and I can just face tank stuff because of all the damage reductions. I actually like having to select a wide array of skills to have to use strat and line of sight ranged and actually set players up for a kill. This will take a couple mins vs fast skilled players as I had several duels last. It wasn't about who could 1 shot first it was who could land a blow and drop there main ability. A lot of fun and very intense. Just wish people would actually take the time to experience it for themselves before they get all up in arms and say its a 1shot fest.

Hope this makes sense to some of the people reading this post

Abomb out - Knowledge is Power!!
Reply Quote
I think dueling will be good in this game. The best thing about D3 is the actual gameplay and thats what will make dueling good. Once they give use some more maps and some arena modes it will be what D3 is all about.
Reply Quote
I wish to add smth...from myself.

http://www.image-share.com/upload/2084/235.jpg
alternative link: http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/67/protectionpotion.jpg

Give us a choice if You have to reduce damage in any way. When To use it and how to Use it it will improve tactic and more options for fighting in my opinion but as allways decision is all Yours.

Cheers !

Note Numbers % are completly taken out from space and I leave mechanic/counting to You guys. I wish just to have an option to do it whenever I wish. Play protective ( prolong game and win) or (play rampage mode full attack, full potential) the idea needs revision though. so ..Glad I could insert into this topic my one quarter :)

good topic good stuff +1 for the guy who started this topic.
I just found out that this builds up the problem with picking up between health potion and Protection potion ..heh ...but it might be drinked from the backpack and the time of working this potion would be longer for 5 min for example ... bah ..that doesnt sound right eighter ... bah
Edited by Sarinis#2351 on 2/6/2013 7:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/27/2012 02:51 PMPosted by Fwib
TL;DR I really don't think you thought these numbers through, and balancing stuff like this takes a lot more time than you seem to think.

^

DPS is an easy stat to manage but defense isn't.
You have so many forms of damage mitigation and life gain through inaction and offense that this would be a very tough system to make successful.

Does the system consider players who max out defensive stats like life regen, vitality, dex, armor, block chance, resist all, and LoH?

Are these player going to gain a completely unfair advantage to the glass cannon 2 mill critical hit player who has their offense drastically reduced?

Can you make this system feel fun for those who have 40k dps as well as those who have 400k dps? I'm not saying to make these fair against each other...just that people at different tiers of PvP will be fighting one another. A system that works for high DPS but not entry level inferno players is still a complete failure.
Reply Quote
View profile
Problems with your idea

1. damage reduction is meaningless.
Every single attack must be a critical hit or no damage. And you need to make the program effecting only players and not monster. If the monster can do full damage when you can't then MPK is much faster, and more fun than you chasing.

2. player will always be visible.
There's going to be a way to check to see if the game is at player cap. You can be hostile and grey out and your location "invisible".

3. finding players.
If you are invisible (others will be too)... So how on earth you are going to find them if you can't use the flag, or click on their portrait to check which area they are in... so much for sneak attacks. I guess you will run all day and can't find anyone.

4. 2min invincible timer.
"Yes, I will not be killed by the other players, lets go kill them, if I can find them."
In this case you need to be able to PK in town, or it will be boring because most PKer are coward and hides after than done a kill. They are not going to wait for 2min and kill the same guy again, they will leave the game after the kill. So make that the killer(s) can't leave the game unless they return to town or they can't leave the game until the 2min timer is removed. And if you disconnect your character stays in the game for 2min without motion. Player that dies because of PK return to town automatically with a portal to the last check point.

5. loot on death.
The most you will ever get, to be fair, is the same amount you get off a monster. For example players are elites and if they have gotten the achievement 1% (pickup 100m) than you can get the 1% of their 1% which is 10,000 gold. So the gold depends on your collected gold achievement. If anyone got their gold from trade they will not lose it after being killed.
Another way to make loot gold fair is that the gold dropped equal to 50% or 100% of the repair cost. This gold is shared by the party member.

You need to re-write your idea as you have too many flaws.
Reply Quote
Stop crying for pvp.There are many games out that offer you pvp go find one.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]