Diablo® III

Which PC Upgrade should I Do?

Currently my rig has this
Amd 965 Phenom II and
2 GTX 460 in SLI

I have around $500 to upgrade thanks to Christmas gift certificates.
I was considering either a new motherboard and i7 Intel cpu or
possibly a GTX 670.

Or if you have cheaper suggestions? I want to get the most benifit I can

Thank you
any suggestions or ideas appreciated
Edited by dewberry#1250 on 12/28/2012 10:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
anyone?
Reply Quote
i'd get a motherboard/cpu

for diablo 3 i'm pretty much sure 460 in SLI is overkill so no need to upgrade your video cards yet
Reply Quote
thanks
Reply Quote
i'd get a motherboard/cpu

for diablo 3 i'm pretty much sure 460 in SLI is overkill so no need to upgrade your video cards yet

Agreed, cpu will hold you back before a video card. You can install the best vid card around, but if your cpu is too slow, wont make any difference.
Reply Quote
i7 all the way, i recently upgraded to i7 and loving it. i can play wow, lol, d3, bf3, sc2 at the same time without having to close any games.
Edited by Cain#1399 on 12/28/2012 11:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
I7 hands down.
Reply Quote
also dewberry, try playing Diablo 3 (or any other games you plan to play) with only ONE 460 video card, if you're satisfied with the performance of 1 card i'd sell the other one to add to my cpu/motherboard upgrades, or better yet sell your 2 460s (and get 1 high-end video card) and try to find/get a combo deal on the cpu/motherboard/new video card
Reply Quote
I appreciate all the replies and advice. I am an older guy with limited pc savy
Reply Quote
Check out tomshardware. They have articles, charts, and forums regarding pc components.

Tomshardware and newegg consumer reviews for whatever I'm looking at are my 2 major stops before I make any pc related purchases. I've always been happy with my final decision.
Reply Quote
I've got an OC'd 2500k stable at 4.8ghz with just air. Been running it a year with no problems. CPU an MB are great upgrades, but don't forget about an SSD. I run my rig with and SSD using intel SRT, and it works brilliantly. IE: All those chumps who buy an SSD and just install windows and one game on it are chumps.
Reply Quote
i7? I suppose if you WANT to pay extra. I can do the same things with an i5, and for cheaper, an AMD 8 or even 6-core.
Reply Quote
This would be for gaming only. I have liked AMD in the past. I know it's cheaper. I thought Intel was far ahead of AMD now.
But I am not sure of this or if amd will run games as good
Reply Quote
Get a 3570k. See if you find somewhere that has a mobo+cpu combo deal. I got my i5 for $150 by getting it with a mobo.
Reply Quote
This would be for gaming only. I have liked AMD in the past. I know it's cheaper. I thought Intel was far ahead of AMD now.
But I am not sure of this or if amd will run games as good

Intel is far ahead. Wouldn't waste money on an amd. amd's latest cpu was a huge disappointment. If only gaming, an intel i5 is a great choice.
Reply Quote
Why upgrade at all? I run the same CPU and GPU as you and I can play all current titles on max settings. Dropping cash on a tiny upgrade doesn't make sense.

I used to always upgrade my pc, then I realized I was throwing money away. Most people cannot see a difference in performance unless they have some sort of monitoring program running in the background.

Stick with AMD for a cpu. Intel are overpriced.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]