Diablo® III

Can we please get past stat point complaints?

70 Tauren Paladin
i am more pissed off with the fact that the maps are not 99% fully random like in D2 making D3 less replayable than D2
also the lame attempt at the new "cow" level is extremly bad compared to the original level

Ya, like he never used maphack . So much for random maps.
That said real D2 players knew what mapset they were in early in the game.

Ah, k, because maphacks (cheats) existed, there's no point putting in random maps.

What?
Reply Quote
In D2 items had stats requirements and most of a character's stats comes from leveling, having players assign stats made for a lot of customization. Do you use polearm for higher whirlwind range but requires you to pump Dex, or use shorter strength items?

In D3, it serves no purpose.

Who the heck was using polearms as a WW barb in Diablo 2? You always chose the path of least resistance to put on the gear you wanted to wear. If pumping dex only serves to allow you to wear a polearm that you want to wear, then you're stuck clicking the + button the dex thing until you have enough, or gemming some emeralds into something else. Then if a better weapon came along, you were STUCK with that dex you pumped whether you still needed it or not. If D3 worked like D2, people would absolutely quit over it just as much as they claim to quit over how it works now. The only people I can maybe get on board with are people who think that stats should do more things than just dmg on your main state and mitigation. People who love the D2 system are just wearing nostalgia goggles.
Reply Quote

Ya, like he never used maphack . So much for random maps.
That said real D2 players knew what mapset they were in early in the game.

Ah, k, because maphacks (cheats) existed, there's no point putting in random maps.

What?

To the newbie or inattentive D2 player, the maps looks more random than in D3, but there was a predictability to how the maps were generated in D2 that a lot of people figured out without use of maphack. If you played D2 online with veterans, there was never much doubt about where the next level of the dungeon was, and it was always that way. Some of it was maphack, but there were rules to map generation that made finding the way down very trivial in D2. D3 does need to improve its random map generation, but saying it was a lot better in D2 is not accurate. It's maybe slightly better if you play single player from scratch.
Reply Quote
12/31/2012 10:58 PMPosted by Friendzie
To the newbie or inattentive D2 player, the maps looks more random than in D3, but there was a predictability to how the maps were generated in D2 that a lot of people figured out without use of maphack. If you played D2 online with veterans, there was never much doubt about where the next level of the dungeon was, and it was always that way. Some of it was maphack, but there were rules to map generation that made finding the way down very trivial in D2. D3 does need to improve its random map generation, but saying it was a lot better in D2 is not accurate. It's maybe slightly better if you play single player from scratch.

Im pretty sure that D3 uses the same system to randomize maps that D2 did. They have have a number of "tiles" that are placed randomly in an overall map. The only difference is there seem to be less "tiles" and they are larger than they were in D2.
Edited by Dirk#1799 on 1/1/2013 12:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Paladin

What?

Firstly, I didn't say it was better. I said becuase people cheated, that's not even close to a legitimate reason to remove a feature. Secondly, since it's not exactly rocket science that random maps increase replayability at least to a certain extent, why didn't they even attempt to do it in D3?

Of course it wasn't particularly difficult to work out how maps worked in D2. It was still a hell of a lot more interesting (to me) than moving where you zone in every now and then.
Reply Quote
I agree with you, OP!
Reply Quote
Well, the thing with diablo 3 is that your survivability heavily relies on you gear. As people already mentioned, all you look at the AH is vit + main stat. an occasional all resist and sockets, then you're good to go. Which gets really stale really fast even when you're using a whole hell of a lot of skills. In D2 I only use bone spear, and amplify damage and I never got bored with it because I felt like this is MY build, and something I wanted to do, not me being forced to do a build just to survive Inferno.

I started playing d2 again and I just love how I have basic gear and still finish normal because of good stat allocation and proper skill building. That's what people wanted, a feeling that they're in control of their characters. leveling up is almost useless. In d3, you only level up to 60 just to use your items that change your build.

D3 is fun, it certainly has good game mechanics, the battle is fluid, and all those little annoyances like bulky gear and having to go to town every time to sell items just to free space is fixed, but I'm just speaking for myself when I say that Stat allocation gives you that feeling that this is your build.
Edited by Igeboyy#6273 on 1/1/2013 7:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Having stat points to distribute would make a wider range of items valuable to different people.

What if I pumped ALL of my stats into vitality?

I wouldnt mind buying those Vile ward shoulders with no vit and only a high main stat as opposed to someone else who pumped most of theirs into main stat and need the vit on their items.

Its about variety.

If the stats were changed slightly to be valuable to every class in some way then it would work
Reply Quote
I think people just want there to be more to their character than gear. I don't see anything wrong with allocating stat points, but it really wouldn't add much to the game.

because your damage is based on mainstat, no other stat except vitality will compete with it.
Reply Quote
Item customization is so broken that introducing stat points would be pointless. Main stat + vit.
Reply Quote
Stat points were an illusion of customization in D2. It was usually enough str to carry your armor, and the rest depending on class would go into mainstat and vit. Perhaps if stats had some sort of ramification to further expand certain aspects of your character it would be actual customization (kinda like the skill tree was in D2), but as it is now it's pretty much the same process, just that it's automated.
Reply Quote
TheSaint View profile

I think people just want there to be more to their character than gear. I don't see anything wrong with allocating stat points, but it really wouldn't add much to the game.

because your damage is based on mainstat, no other stat except vitality will compete with it.

They gotta restructure everything.

Be real, thats not going to happen. they have to work with what they have. Alowing us to allocate sat points seems like it would be pretty ez to do. Tweaking your damage vs vitality a little bit would be cool and they should do it IMO
Reply Quote
Blashyrkh View profile

Stat points were an illusion of customization in D2. It was usually enough str to carry your armor, and the rest depending on class would go into mainstat and vit. Perhaps if stats had some sort of ramification to further expand certain aspects of your character it would be actual customization (kinda like the skill tree was in D2), but as it is now it's pretty much the same process, just that it's automated.

mainstat was a joke in D2 it was all about gear req., block chance, and vitality
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]