Diablo® III

Can we please get past stat point complaints?

Well said p0t.
Reply Quote
the build mirror that is a Frucking BS I HAVE NEVER FOLLOWED any build for any game ( ok maybe for WoW ) look at my DH (not that i play that much since xmas yeah TL2 lol) but the fact that 95 % of the players must or have to follow a certain way to build your toons or you suck at inferno the lact of "good gears" (far as i remeber 99% of the yellow drop was not good

look at D2 or TL2 most of the player said you can build the way you want it wont effect your game play from casual to elite. I was doing uber in d2 with a hunter mage or paly. here in D3 i can nearly do mp6 without dieing every elite pact, if youre not a barb you wont do much and that is the sad part in this game otherwise quite good
Reply Quote
the build mirror that is a Frucking BS I HAVE NEVER FOLLOWED any build for any game ( ok maybe for WoW ) look at my DH (not that i play that much since xmas yeah TL2 lol) but the fact that 95 % of the players must or have to follow a certain way to build your toons or you suck at inferno the lact of "good gears" (far as i remeber 99% of the yellow drop was not good

look at D2 or TL2 most of the player said you can build the way you want it wont effect your game play from casual to elite. I was doing uber in d2 with a hunter mage or paly. here in D3 i can nearly do mp6 without dieing every elite pact, if youre not a barb you wont do much and that is the sad part in this game otherwise quite good

If you never followed the flavor of the month build then your skill choices confirm how bad the games customization is, im not sure because I had trouble understanding the meaning of your post.

Out of 9 skills ( 6 spells 3 passives ) 6 or yours would be considered cookie-cutter or "essential" DH skills while the other 3 aren't far behind. Shadowpower/gloom prep/backup plan hungering/teeth you realize out of billions of builds everyone uses these skills?
Reply Quote
If each stat was important in some way to EACH class, stat points could really be cool. Want to pump int on your barb? why not? Assuming it had an effect just as powerful (but different) from strength.

The D2 stat points were terrible, true. But I think they could have been more creative in implementing new stats and making each stat beneficial to each class. In this way keeping stat point distribution could offer many ways to play each class.

Exactly what I would want.

Plus also fix lousy skills and allow all skills (no passives) to roll as skill affixes thus making actual skill builds optimal.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7414954734
Reply Quote
I think I saw this exact post verbatim when the skill system was announced 4 years ago.
Reply Quote
What about choosing gender? That is pretty groundbreaking.
Reply Quote
12/31/2012 05:39 PMPosted by Inune
Look, in any game that features any form of "building" your character, this is what will happen:

Try to avoid overgeneralizing, it makes people disregard any valid point you are trying to make.

In a game like Neverwinter Nights, that uses a very complex leveling system (ie D&D), stat point allocation can vary widely between character builds, even similar ones. Even on a PvP only server, which I helped admin, there was never an "optimal build" because every build had a weakness that could be exploited.

That said, the Diablo series has never really had a complex enough build system to warrant stat point allocation, so it's easy to see why Blizzard decided to remove it.

-JJ
Reply Quote
dont tell me what to do.
Reply Quote
12/31/2012 08:33 PMPosted by Death
That's....what Diablo is? There is no roleplaying in Diablo - there never has been. The personality of the character you play is not influenced by where you put your stats, stats only affect the effectiveness of the abilities that you've chosen to use.

During Diablo 3 development, stat/trait points was considered to be the roleplaying aspect for character progress:

http://www.diablowiki.net/Traits

We wanted more customization, and we wanted customization that really spoke to the idea that, ‘I’m going to roleplay my character and focus in one area.’ Skills are really awesome, but when players think of who they are as a character, they don’t tend to think of, “I like to Whirlwind.’ They’ll use Whirlwind with their Barbarian, but it’s not how they define themselves. They think, ‘I’m a Barbarian who’s exceptionally strong or exceptionally tough!’ And that’s what traits are. The affect the core attributes of your character to let you customize and expand them.

However that was removed because developers thought a stat point system would be too much work for players.

Now we're left with little to no customization options.

Not according to the video I seen where Jay spoke about why stat points were removed. He said that stat points were removed. Because players would figure out the optimal path and in time everyone would be using the optimal path. He said that the players are not smarter than the devs are.
Reply Quote
I need to get the code to Diablo 3 cause I losted mine to reload my game,my computer broke down, and know I can,t fined the big long code to reload..can some one help me..
Reply Quote
Those 3 steps you just mentioned it´s exactly what I expect when I play any sort of RPG. That´s the fun of the stats, don´t know what you´re doing and play again to make it better.
Reply Quote
01/01/2013 12:20 PMPosted by ShadowAegis

During Diablo 3 development, stat/trait points was considered to be the roleplaying aspect for character progress:

http://www.diablowiki.net/Traits

However that was removed because developers thought a stat point system would be too much work for players.

Now we're left with little to no customization options.

Not according to the video I seen where Jay spoke about why stat points were removed. He said that stat points were removed. Because players would figure out the optimal path and in time everyone would be using the optimal path. He said that the players are not smarter than the devs are.

I saw that video as well and in it he said they did not removed the stats they just shifted them to the items which is why we have such poor itemization. Basic stats and items need to be separated.
Reply Quote
I would still like to have choices no matter what. And with D3 right now, at least there would be 2 choices, go life or main stat to put stat points in or a combo of both. That would be a lot better IMO, than no choice at all, which is what we have now.

There is a lot of ways to make this better also. Like everyone is saying, make all the stats meaningful, have different races with different starting stats and bonuses, make another stat where it determines your mana, discipline, etc., some sort of skill tree that could raise for example fire damage, melee damage, or whatever. Let us mix and match classes like GW2 or NWN. Just gives us choices, more decision making, make characters unique and make us think. I like to come up with builds for every RPG I play, this had to be the quickest character building I ever had to decide on. Hmmm, wizard, male and then the name, done! Character built and far as the skills, I'll try them all out and see what works, game over, build done, now I'm bored and feel stupid, than you D3 devs.

This is the only game where I have reached max level on one character and one character only and not wanted to build another one, what would be the point. It could have been sweet to have say a Lightning Wizard with max damage and then say a Fire Wizard with max life or max mana, or even Wizard/Demon Hunter combo, etc. They could have gotten endless on the amount of different character choices and nothing would be over the top because the game is 95% gear anyway.

IMO, NWN was the best game ever and it was due to the thousands among thousands of different chars you could build. 3 classes on one char, 14 to choose from, hundreds of feats, 6 meaningful stats, around 40 something skills, etc. especially in NWN Persistent Worlds with PVP. And since there was so much to choose from nobody was exactly the same and you still had quite the diverse groups, despite what optimal builds they are, some of us are not sheep. The more choices you have, the more optimal builds you have.

So, no I will never get past the stat point complaints and I will never buy a game again, with a very poor, non-decision making character builder as D3.
Reply Quote

Runic GamesVerified ‏@RunicGames

We had an amazing 2012, and proud to say that #Torchlight2 has sold over 1 million units! Thank you! Happy New Year's Eve everyone

ohhh geez that seems like a lot ..... hahaha .... prolly a million 12 yrs old , thats the only audience for that lousy asz game....remind how many copies did D3 sold besides 10 mill for starters , i bet that its way over a mill lol.

For an indie company releasing its second title and having 1 million copies sold and also having like maybe 1/100000th of the budget of Blizzard & Beating D3 in Best PC RPG game of the year award over Diablo 3's 10 million units sold. Took only 3 years to make not 12, and as for ghost town what ghost town how are you getting this information? Do you know what offline mode is? Oh what Diablo3 doesn't have it? So sorry i Guess the only REAL ghost town is in diablo3 since your player # is monitored 24/7 and no local game instances they're ALL ALWAYS TRACKED but oh lo and behold 0 information about it why? 10 mil copies how many are online? must be a shame. such a shame. Oh disneyland graphics? LOL get real go to your d3prefs.text and turn up the mib bias to a mega high value omg look your diablo3 looks lik torchlight2 now, don't fool yourself nooblet. What noob gamer these days calls themselves a gamer to judge games just by graphics. Holy. More like art critic.
Nuff said.

those 12 year olds have better taste than your useless mind at discerning between rewarding games and just downright stupid. you may as well have insulted everyone who plays WoW as well then.

not in defense of anything here its just your train of thought thinking that 10 mil copies of D3 = automatic default good + the putdown of a game vs. d3 without all the details, rofl puh-lease why is it the biggest disappointment of 2012 then across all boards?
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 1/1/2013 2:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
The answer is pretty simple OP, there are actually 2 reasons for adding them.

1. People can create their own character how they see fit (NO not everyone will make a cookie cutter build, only very few will, you might be one of them I'm guessing)

2. Having stat points may actually make most of the useless crap we find actually worth using by having the stat points offset the stats which we are missing elsewhere creating a far more balanced character.

Lacking in the all resistance department but are stacked everywhere else? Well dump a pile of points into intelligence then, problem solved. Not carrying enough dps but have tons of gear which add to everything else? Well add points into whatever stat affects your dps.. problem solved. With this though, obviously an option to re-allocate stat points would be needed.
Reply Quote
Stats are so poorly designed in diablo3.

STR, DEX and INT class-focus stat ... they took this dumbed-down concept from WoW. They just renamed Endurance by Vitality.
Edited by Kwyjibo#2528 on 1/1/2013 5:12 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]