Diablo® III

[Build] Proc(ing) Bear Build - For Comments

I was originally a 'Proctor' and realized that I wear down mobs in MP7+ too slowly to my liking with just Rain of Toads and Acid Rain. Therefore, I thought of incorporating Zombie Bears into 'Proctor' build for added damage.

Below are the gears/skills required and concepts of this build.

Equipments Required:-
1) 4 piece Zuni set (including Zuni mojo with mana cost reduction to zombie bears).
2) Visage of Giyua (preferably with native CC and +acid rain CC)
3) A ceremonial knife(for +mana regen) or any other weapon with life-steal to deal with reflect damage mobs when using Zombie Bears.
4) Blackthorne Pants(for life on hit proc when using Rain of Toads/Acid Rain)
5) Gloves with Chance to Stun above 3%
6) Belt with Chance to Freeze above 3%
7) Shoulders with Chance to Chill above 3%
8) Amulet with life on hit.

Note:- I chose a one-handed weapon over Skorn because Zombie Bears feels less 'clumsy' with higher attack speeds(<1.4). You can maneuver the Bears more deftly when encountering elites with Vortex, Teleport or Illusion affixes. With mana regeneration from Helm, Off-hand, Vision Quest, Zuni 4 piece(+20/seconds) and Blood Ritual. This build can support 1.3-1.6 attack speed per seconds well within limits. Faster attack speed will also activate LOH and procs from Rain of Toads more frequently. Moreover, extra critical chance from off-hand benefits damage over time+area of effect from Acid Rain.

Recommended Minimum Stats for MP7+ with this Build:-
1) Life: 40k+
2) Armor: 4k+
3) All Resist: 750+
4) Attacks per second: 1.3 - 1.6
5) DPS: 90k+ (unbuffed)
6) Life Steal: 2.5%+
7) Life on Hit: 1000+

Note:- With my current gears/stats, MP10 Siegebreaker is still quite tough to handle. I estimate dps of minimum 140k, armor 4700, all res 850 and life 60k to clear MP10 comfortably.

Skills:-
1) Plague of Toads > Rain of Toads
2) Zombie Charger > Zombie Bears
3) Acid Cloud > Acid Rain
4) Spirit Walk > Honored Guest
5) Soul Harvest > Vengeful Spirit or Soul to Waste
6) Gargantuan > Bruiser or Hex > Jinx

Note:- Gargantuan dies very frequently in MP9&10, usually after 2 waves of mobs sometimes based on my current gears/stats. It can be substituted by Hex for its shorter cooldown.

Passives:-
1) Vision Quest
2) Blood Ritual
3) Bad Medicine/Jungle Fortitude/Gruesome Feast/Spirit Vessel

Note:- This build uses all Poison-based attacks, thus making good usage of Bad Medicine passive for damage mitigation. But you can swap out Bad Medicine for:
A) Jungle Fortitude as alternative if you are using pets.
B) Gruesome Feast if you have some pick up radius gears.
C) Spirit Vessel for MP9&10 due to the higher monster hit points. Spirit Walk and Soul Harvest cooldown 2 seconds is very useful as it lets you 'replenish your mana pool' every 13 seconds. When the Spirit Walk cooldown is nearing, start spamming Acid Rain with the Zombie Bears concurrently. When mana is depleted, Spirit Walk(Honored Guest) to refill your mana, rinse and repeat. Moreover, Spirit Vessel gives you a 'free life' every 90 seconds.

Concept:-
1) Proc(Freeze/Stun/Chill) using Rain of Toads+Acid Rain to slow enemies movements/attacks that are in front of you.
2) Life on Hit and Life Steal gears to 'tank' almost all kinds of elite fights. Reflect Damage becomes a joke and wallers can be dealt with Rain of Toads.
3) Rain of Toad activates Vision Quest besides proc(ing), enabling you to cast Zombie Bears almost without straining your mana pool. I have roughly 120 mana regen per second using my current setup, excluding mana cost reduction from Blood Ritual.
4) Zombie Bears to deal main damage and you can throw Acid Cloud for 3-prong attack i.e. additional damage and proc(ing) as and when you see deem fit.
5) The Freeze/Stun/Chill proc makes mobs stay longer in the area of effect of Acid Rain.

Strategy:-
1) Start by casting Acid Rain on incoming mobs(hoping to proc freeze/stun/chill to slow down incoming mobs).
2) Move into midst of mobs with Spirit Walk to use Soul Harvest then move out.
3) Start using Rain of Toads(left-click) to activate Vision Quest and procs while using Zombie Bears(stutter step right-click) for main damage.
4) Use Acid Rain(middle-click) as and when you like during the fight.
5) You can also opt out Zombie Bears during fights when the tough gets going i.e. just using Rain of Toads/Acid Rain and stay in the distance until you can get closer again to use Zombie Bears.

Note:- With 1.51 attacks per second, I find that I hardly run out of mana in MP7+ (unless I start spamming Acid Rain). Fellow witch doctors with better gears can probably use slightly higher attack speeds.

I find this build extremely fun, versatile and seems to be rather capable to handle some of the toughest elite fights and therefore like to share with fellow witch doctors.

Thanks for reading. Comments are most welcomed :)
Edited by Choobie#6148 on 1/6/2013 5:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
Well up around the same as me for DPS. I balanced a lot to defensive to get in close and bear spam as much as I can. This build seems to have been most successful for damage and works for close or distance when you need it. Well of souls and spider are distance and bears close. Covers the elite packs that scatter and ones that are more aggressive.

My basic defensive is:
Armor: 4K give or take with follower
AR: 620 - 650
Life Regen: 3250 (blood ritual)
Loh: 558
LS: 2.8
Big Stinker and leeching beasts proc between 400-2K life return

I tried a build with frogs, well of souls and locusts devourers which was good for mana but same deal slow taking things down. So returned to a recent build I've been playing with. Frogs were the best for life return (LoH).

Primary: Well of Souls
Second: Widow Spiders (mana per hit)
1: Garganuan - Big Stinker (gas cloud procs life return)
2: Leeching beasts
3: Zombie Bears
4: spirit walk honoured guest (mana restore)

#2 Leeching beasts
I may swap with locust devouring swarm which was better for mana regen on large mobs and bear spams but trade off is survivability is less. More goes after you. The other I might use is grasp of the dead - death is life to add some slowing + damage + more globes or basic zombie dogs. Works ok but still depends on kill speed for globes and dogs (not as affective higher you go in MP).

Passives:
Fierce Loyalty - pets stay alive at 3250/s life regen and therefor gives me more life return
Blood ritual - reduce cost of bears, add life regen
Gruesome Feast - globes for DPS boost and mana restore.
Reply Quote
View profile
I am playing this build with the following gear:

LS Skorn

- 3.7 Blind Tal Rasha Ammy
- 4.0 Freeze Witching Hour
- 4.6 Stun gloves
- 4.4 Immobolize Zuni Boots

I use no pets (and BTW, No proc off of Garg anymore, this was changed in 1.5?)

Build http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WfRdiU!eYa!bcZcZc

Also posted this build to: Index to Witch Doctor Builds and Guides
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7350275486
Reply Quote
A real pity the proc rate for bears are terrible.

For me now, I am always at "insufficient mana".
Will be back when I manage to same up gold for the mana regen requirements.

Also, I don't agree on the chill shoulders. Good post Choobie.
Reply Quote
nice stuff guys
Reply Quote

Also, I don't agree on the chill shoulders.

Why's this?
Reply Quote
@Skywalkerfx

Glad to see fellow witch doctors sharing similar thoughts :)

I used Bruiser mainly because this Gargy with Stun helps with uber bosses/elites helping with its stun proc. Moreover, Gargy's damage and resistance scales with Soul Harvest :)

It can be substituted with Hex like what you are using too, depending on preferences.
Edited by Choobie#6148 on 1/4/2013 1:14 AM PST
Reply Quote

Also, I don't agree on the chill shoulders.

Why's this?

I'd only go for stun/blind/freeze. I have my own interpretation of the crowd control rules since patch 1.05, although some of you guys may disagree. I don't go for chill / slow / immobilize / knock back. Although I may consider Fear for PvP, but I need to see the patch notes after they release PvP.

I believe that proc resistance goes up with every consecutive proc and needs time to wear off. Some players believe that only "hard procs" trigger the increased resistance, while "soft procs" are OK, stacking the more the merrier.

I may be wrong, but it'd take a Blue or Blizzard reply to convince me otherwise. I'm happy with my proc decision so far, and that's what matters to me while in game. I encourage players to play to their own style and taste as well.

For those curious about lock-down effects, can add me in game. There are already several WDs who have proc builds and gear, they can show you their concepts as well.
Reply Quote

Why's this?

I'd only go for stun/blind/freeze. I have my own interpretation of the crowd control rules since patch 1.05, although some of you guys may disagree. I don't go for chill / slow / immobilize / knock back. Although I may consider Fear for PvP, but I need to see the patch notes after they release PvP.

I believe that proc resistance goes up with every consecutive proc and needs time to wear off. Some players believe that only "hard procs" trigger the increased resistance, while "soft procs" are OK, stacking the more the merrier.

I may be wrong, but it'd take a Blue or Blizzard reply to convince me otherwise. I'm happy with my proc decision so far, and that's what matters to me while in game. I encourage players to play to their own style and taste as well.

For those curious about lock-down effects, can add me in game. There are already several WDs who have proc builds and gear, they can show you their concepts as well.

@PaulNg

I was contemplating between Blind and Chill but in the end chose Chill over Blind because:-

1) Good amulets with 3%+ Blind Proc rate is hard to come by (i.e. Int, Vit, CC, CD, LOH)
2) Chill tends to help you more when a throng of mobs comes right at you. Those that are not stopped by Freeze/Stun on their track, their movement speed(and attack speed) will hopefully be slowed down by Chill. Thus, letting the mobs stay longer in the damage over time of Acid Rain.
3) Chill effect on gear also let me save one skill slot for Grasp of the Dead. Although its not nearly as effective as Grasp of the Dead but I think good enough.

Note: I read somewhere that a Witch Doctor bro tested that the optimal total Proc% should be around 11-12% some time ago...But I cannot locate that post now.

Cheers!
Edited by Choobie#6148 on 1/4/2013 5:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
A real pity the proc rate for bears are terrible.

For me now, I am always at "insufficient mana".
Will be back when I manage to same up gold for the mana regen requirements.

Also, I don't agree on the chill shoulders. Good post Choobie.

For this build, Bears are used to substantiate for the lack of damage output(MP7+) from the traditional Rain of Toads/Acid Rain Proctor Build. The way my current build works is by using Rain of Toad and Zombie Bears together as main attack skills. Acid Rain is used as a tertiary attack skill for LOH and procs. Moreover, Acid Rain's big area of effect is good for clearing trash mobs particularly in Act 3.

Therefore, the Zombie Bears are not mainly there for procs in this build. Rather, Rain of Toad/Acid Rain will cover Zombie Bear's terrible Proc rate.
Edited by Choobie#6148 on 1/4/2013 1:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Here's my take on the proc effects and how they work.

Stun and Freeze (Gloves and Belt)- The most efficient and powerful effects, renders monsters helpless and they can't move or take other actions. From my experience these two effects dominate other proc effects. I have this thought/opinion because I see these procs taking effect more often. I'm not sure if there is an order of precedence, or if these procs are just more noticeable.

Blind (Amulet)- A blind proc is indicated by the word "Blind", which floats above the monsters head for a second or two. Monsters stumble around and still can hit your character if they "find" it.

Immobilize (boots) - Immobolize is indicated by the word "Root" floating above the monsters head. The monster cannot move to attack you, however I am unsure as to whether or not it can hit you with spells or ranged attacks. Unfortunately it does not produce the animation of a rooted enemy that occurs from a Hellrack crossbow, so this proc is somewhat mysterious because if you don't catch the "Root" text when you hit, it is difficult to tell that it is working. This also makes it difficult to determine the effects of the proc.

Chill (shoulders) and Slow (pants) - Chill and Slow are indicated by a blue apron at the base of a character. If you want to see what they look like it is similar to the effect of a medusa spider which is proccing the slow effect. (I could be wrong on this comparison, but they look the same to me). Both procs also look similar to slows produced by Grasp.

This is how I see things, and I may or may not be right in my observations.

Feel free to correct me if you have seen something different or know something I don't.
Reply Quote
View profile
Don't forget the 20% freeze for the follower. Crossbow (15%) and Ammy (5%). It'll cost you about 60mil, but def worth it.
Reply Quote
Stun, Freeze, Blind, and Fear interrupt enemies, meaning they stop casting (interrupted) and cannot cast their damage, which is important for stuff like arcane/plague/desecrator/etc.

Immobilize, Chill, and Slow just slow down or root the enemy, they do not interrupt or stop casting of elite affixes from occurring.

When I was stacking all of them, fear, stun, and freeze were the easiest to see occurring, occasionally slow/chill were easy to see because an enemy is moving slowly.

I never figured out the order of operations for effects, I just knew some effects could stack, while others are in direct competition, such as freeze/stun/fear or fear and immobilize.

edit: I might have pursued chill shoulders if they didn't cost me the potential of more VIT or life % (I'm looking to upgrade)
Edited by MCP#1477 on 1/4/2013 9:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
01/03/2013 10:15 PMPosted by PaulNg

I'm not sure what you think is a hard vs soft proc, but with my setup, I can just about perma freeze/blind/stun/root one yellow elite on MP8. Once I take the other members of the group down, then the elite leader is just so much proc bait no matter what it is.
Reply Quote
Added some more details on alternative passives.
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 12:41 PMPosted by skywalkerfx

I'm not sure what you think is a hard vs soft proc, but with my setup, I can just about perma freeze/blind/stun/root one yellow elite on MP8. Once I take the other members of the group down, then the elite leader is just so much proc bait no matter what it is.

I think all procs trigger the increased resistance. The "hard vs soft procs" are what other players have written, which I disagree. Immobility, I will consider after reading patch 1.07 notes. For now, until there are further changes in the CC rules, it will just be stun/blind/freeze for me.

Cheers!
Reply Quote
stun and freeze are enough for proc builds. More will make you loose precious affixes on your gear (vita/int/@res, etc)

Also I'll bring my stone: instead of bears I go for sacrifice for dps. Plus it replenishes my mana so that I can perma spam acid cloud to proc:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004696095
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]