Diablo® III

Archon and Synergies, the lack there of...

Not that this will be read by anyone important... so I'll just come out and say it.

I'm not sure what Blizzard was thinking when they designed the Wizard class, but... something has to change/improve!

Lots of useless abilities and passives, and most of all, hardly any synergy with Archon. Now, I listened to a couple guys from Red Team Gaming ramble on about top 10 improvements to Diablo 3, and they felt that Archon should just be removed and the Wizard class completely redesigned... however, I heavily disagree. Here's a few ideas to improve synergy and Archon in general:

Teleport Runes work with Archon Teleport.
Slow Time Runes, work with Archon Slow Time.
Arcane Dynamo Passive can add stacks while spamming beam, allowing your next Arcane Blast or Strike to do improved damage. -OR-
Arcane Dynamo is a buff that lasts 30 seconds, damage bonus lowered?
Crtitcal Mass lower cooldown of Teleport/Slow Time, also allow critical hits a chance to increase the duration of Archon by 1 second. -OR-
The use of Arcane Blast or Strike increase the duration of Archon by 1 second.
Reduction of Armor/Resistance Bonus in favor of more movement speed (Maybe)
Temporal Flux no Longer Snares, increased damage to Arcane Damage abilities
Power Hungry passive causing healing by health globe or potion increases duration by 5 seconds.

Just some thoughts... I do like that I can wind up Arcane Dynamo 5 stacks on an uber boss then just hold the beam for the duration, as long as I don't move I continue to get the bonus. Illusionist works well with Archon teleport.

What do you guys think? These ideas are more or less to improve the party/uber viability of the wizard class playing as an Archon spec.
Edited by Nefarious#1827 on 1/4/2013 11:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
I only have a few minutes to respond here, but what were they thinking when they designed the wizard? They specifically wanted a departure from Diablo 2's sorceress, remember? They didn't want us to focus on elemental builds although I dare say, many of us love elemental mages, right. That's what mages are for. -_- Anyway, I am totally against any further reductions of armor/resistances to trade for movement speed in archon because we already have gear choices for movement speed; movement speed should be part of an existing passive anyway.
Reply Quote
Yeah, that one would be on the bottom of the list as far as what I would consider a "good idea".. hence why I said (Maybe), but anyway, most of the ideas above are to focus on group play and viability of archon at higher MP levels. The wizard is a powerful class, but not powerful enough if everyone is turning to CM/WW - perma freeze (which I guarantee is not intended by Blizzard and will be nerfed) to do Uber and higher MP farming...
Edited by Nefarious#1827 on 1/4/2013 11:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
The problem with most of these suggestions is that they would render non-archon channeling spells useless.

Like why would anybody ever use Disintegrate or RoF if they could use a far superior archon beam for uber damage/resists and still wormhole everywhere, use Arcane Dynamo, and keep it going without making kills?

I think archon would probably be ok for team games if the timer was simply extended for each team kill rather than solo kills, and fix that bug with critical mass with teleport/slow time runes.

Though I like the idea with power hungry. In fact, I think power hungry should extend the duration of ALL wizard buffs (maybe by 2-3 seconds or so, not 5). i.e. it should also extend magic weapon/storm armor/etc. It would give archon users a choice between that and galvanizing ward (and make pickup radius more coool... why do docs get all the fun?). :)
Reply Quote
you do know if blizzard did most of what you recommend archon wiz will just be OP right? its not only wizard class that has problems with useless skills/passives (except maybe for barbs) ... maybe a few fixes like blood magic rune can be buffed ... bring back old proc rates for storm chaser (or at least buff proc rates for twisters) ... MAYBE take out armor/resist penalties from glass cannon .... sure we cant farm as fast as ww barbs, tempest rush monk, and maybe strafe DH but depending on the build our class can faceroll any mp ... mp0-5 archon mp 6-10 cm wiz
Reply Quote
I'm not saying implement all the ideas above, obviously that would make Archon extremely overpowered. More like cherry pick the best idea or two and run with it.
Reply Quote
The problem with most of these suggestions is that they would render non-archon channeling spells useless.

Like why would anybody ever use Disintegrate or RoF if they could use a far superior archon beam for uber damage/resists and still wormhole everywhere, use Arcane Dynamo, and keep it going without making kills?

I think archon would probably be ok for team games if the timer was simply extended for each team kill rather than solo kills, and fix that bug with critical mass with teleport/slow time runes.

Though I like the idea with power hungry. In fact, I think power hungry should extend the duration of ALL wizard buffs (maybe by 2-3 seconds or so, not 5). i.e. it should also extend magic weapon/storm armor/etc. It would give archon users a choice between that and galvanizing ward (and make pickup radius more coool... why do docs get all the fun?). :)

With Disintegrate or Ray of Frost, you have all the other abilities at your disposal that disappear when you form into Archon. But I agree to a point, that the likelier choice would be to go archon over those two abilities if you're able to keep it up... Maybe Archon works similar to Wrath of the Berserker, in that it boosts all your damaging attacks, and do away with all the other abilities...
Reply Quote

With Disintegrate or Ray of Frost, you have all the other abilities at your disposal that disappear when you form into Archon.

No not really. You might have other abilities sitting in your skill bar, but you can't really make much use them because you have to hold the channel to make proper use of arcane dynamo. It's not optimal to just stop and cast other spells during battle. Yet running a channel build without arcane dynamo is just so weak in terms of damage that it's not even worth it.

I think arcane dynamo and channeling spells need the buffing more so than archon, hardly anybody uses them, and that would open up some more build diversity at high MP and encourage co-op farming. A channeler should do HUGE damage, more than the SNS wiz, enough to have a big impact on the team. The team should feel it, if the channeler dies cos things should be taking a lot longer to kill. Right now, nobody cares if any wizard dies unless it's the team's CM wiz...

Archon can keep its role as a mid MP farmer (though with team kill duration extensions to allow for mid MP team games).

But the channeler needs a place too. And the most sensible place is high MP immobile heavy DPS.
Reply Quote
Yes really...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bRQgSO!TgY!ccbZcZ
or
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bZQgSO!TgY!cZbZcZ

You can utilize both Teleport and Time Shell, and get an additional 20% damage boost. Or, have access to any other ability, not to mention 1 cast of living lightning on a large mob will give you 5 stacks of AD pretty quickly. Intensify or use Ray of Frost for 280%, + 20% dmg boost in bubble, and 75% from Arcane Dynamo... I feel like would do more damage than Archon could with a 300% channel, ESPECIALLY with Ray of Frost critical bonus items. Would also be easier to maintain AD with Living Lightning and movement.
Edited by Nefarious#1827 on 1/4/2013 1:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
You're better off with Calamity Teleport and Arcane Hydra with that build. AD boosted Arcane Hydra is beastly.
Reply Quote
Yeah, anything can be changed around. Mainly my point. Which is nice, and flexible. Indeed AD hydra is beastly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]