Diablo® III

Socket adding used to be in game?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149145075

05/18/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Zarhym
Socketing was a feature that was in the game very early on, but ultimately it didn't end up enhancing the play experience as we had hoped. Instead it just kind of felt like a chore. It's a really good feeling to see an upgrade drop, equip it, and keep moving on.

A chore? What!? Not enhancing game play!? The amount of times I've found a really good drop and was missing a socket I would have to argue this. Adding a socket would help sometimes for sure. Lose an affix and paying a high price to do it to an item where there is room.. anything.

I believe it was limited to some armor items and not weapons. Still YES to socket adding!

Probably removed to add to later expansion.
Reply Quote
Yep.
Reply Quote
Sometimes I've noticed higher stats on items where their are no sockets. Maybe that is part of the affixes you get on an item. I'm OK with that. Blackthorns come to mind since sometimes you can find higher stats than if you got one with sockets. There are those rare items with 3,4 and 5 affixes with room to improve though. Maybe a maxed item doesn't quality but allow an upgrade at least would be nice to ones that can. Or allow to remove an affix like life on kill.
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 08:49 AMPosted by Dwelve
A chore? What!? Not enhancing game play!? The amount of times I've found a really good drop and was missing a socket I would have to argue this. Adding a socket would help sometimes for sure. Lose an affix and paying a high price to do it to an item where there is room.. anything. I believe it was limited to some armor items and not weapons. Still YES to socket adding!Probably removed to add to later expansion.

If you can simply add a socket to every item you can just let every item drop with the socket right away.

If it was a quest reward like in D2 then you could not 'simply add a socket to every item', especially with the limitations on character creation.

But everyone knows that real quest rewards, socketing, and options are not fun.
Reply Quote
i remember reading that, and it's so untrue

no one who is actually a player would think it a chore

EVERYONE would say it would enhance the game
Reply Quote
"Socket items"
"More gems"

would enhance the playing experiance.
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 08:57 AMPosted by Dwelve
If it was a quest reward like in D2 then you could not 'simply add a socket to every item', especially with the limitations on character creation.But everyone knows that real quest rewards, socketing, and options are not fun.

How is that an option? When would you ever chose to not add the socket? Or do you want it to be limited to 10 sockets per account?

The option would be in which item to socket.

"you could not 'simply add a socket to every item', especially with the limitations on character creation"
Reply Quote
View profile
Dwelve has been posting on every thread making apologies for blizzard and trying to shut down criticism and suggestions to fix the game. I smell a sockpuppet or a fanboy.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that he hasn't even beat the game or that the last time he actually played the game was a month ago.

Oh palease, give off your high horse. THis game does not take a rocket science degree!, so tell me exactly how long one must play a form of entertainment like this before you get into areas where a PHD is needed ? ROFL!

I've seen his posts, and he doesn't sound like a fanboy to me, but someone with decent ideas and not afraid to talk about them. You don't have to agree, and if you disagree and do not want to look irrelevant and someone to 'ignore', then you would be wize to respond with something adult like that could be debated; not ridiculous hyperbole.

chow
caJAI
Reply Quote
Just make it expensive so everyone doesnt do it to every item, duh.
Reply Quote
What's funny, is the reason was it being a chore to have to go back to town every time you find an upgrade.

Lool, I'm willing to go back to town and run through the entire 4 acts naked every time I find an upgrade.
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 09:35 AMPosted by Dwelve
What's funny, is the reason was it being a chore to have to go back to town every time you find an upgrade.Lool, I'm willing to go back to town and run through the entire 4 acts naked every time I find an upgrade.

And is that really so much better than just giving you the socket right away? How about you find an upgrade but you can´t equip it, simply because it´s a better item. So you have to replay normal,nightmare and hell difficulty to "unlock" the item. Is that really an improvement to the game?

Yes, any extra "choices" or things to do ARE an improvement from the narrow track we have now. I don't understand how anyone could argue that NOT having something extra to do in this game is a chore or unnecessary. If you don't want to go on a socket quest or remake a new char to redo it w/same/new items, then guess what, you don't have to! But I can guarantee a lot of other people would do it.

I really would like to see the socket quest come back. (Lookin @ you CC Stormcrow)
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 09:35 AMPosted by Dwelve
What's funny, is the reason was it being a chore to have to go back to town every time you find an upgrade.Lool, I'm willing to go back to town and run through the entire 4 acts naked every time I find an upgrade.

And is that really so much better than just giving you the socket right away? How about you find an upgrade but you can´t equip it, simply because it´s a better item. So you have to replay normal,nightmare and hell difficulty to "unlock" the item. Is that really an improvement to the game?

You lost me.

The CM explained that the reason socketing was removed was because it was a chore to nip back to town every time you found an upgrade, to socket it.

Tell me, just how often do YOU find an upgrade and would nipping back to town at that frequency really be a chore to you?

The CM talks as if we find an upgrade several times per run, not once every...well, that could be dozens or hundreds of runs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]