Diablo® III

Socket adding used to be in game?

12/14/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Dwelve
Forcing you to unlock your loot first, before you can use it?

This is in no way, shape, or form analogous to adding sockets to items.
Reply Quote
This is in no way, shape, or form analogous to adding sockets to items.

So, in what situation would not want to add that socket to every item you equip?

None, obviously.

Again I say, this is completely unrelated to what you just said. Nobody is suggesting that loot cannot be used unless it has a socket.

And the trap is set.
Edited by Iskra#1389 on 12/14/2012 12:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
Socketing could be another sorely needed goldsink, you might incorporate a fairly steep material cost as well. I'm not totally against it.
Reply Quote
A chore. Reminds me of WoW!
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 09:35 AMPosted by Dwelve
What's funny, is the reason was it being a chore to have to go back to town every time you find an upgrade.Lool, I'm willing to go back to town and run through the entire 4 acts naked every time I find an upgrade.

And is that really so much better than just giving you the socket right away? How about you find an upgrade but you can´t equip it, simply because it´s a better item. So you have to replay normal,nightmare and hell difficulty to "unlock" the item. Is that really an improvement to the game?

It was in Diablo 2. Why should it not be in Diablo 3? Thing is, you got that quest 3 times in D2, so it meant you could add a socket to 3 items.

More choices like better crafting should have been in D3, and not with some "patches" (in the future eventually) or even with addons!
Reply Quote
Alot of you guys never played D2.. In D2 you could only socket one item, each difficulty. There was a Quest to add a socket in A1, Quest 5. You could do this 3 times per character. Once each difficulty. You could use it in Normal, Nightmare, Hell.

You don't socket every weapon, that is just dumb. Good players would save their socket quests for when they were LATER on in the game... And then when LoD came out with the rune words you could find really good "white items" like a non-socket Colossus Blade/Sword or various armor types and it was random. Sometimes you get 4 sockets, 6 sockets, 3, 2...

If you found a white Colossus Sword and you use socket quest and it opened 5 or 6 sockets that could be Last Wish or Breath of the Dying rune word sword with proper runes added.

Same thing with Armor you could make Enigma, Fortitude, etc...
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 12:43 PMPosted by Dwelve
None, obviously.Again I say, this is completely unrelated to what you just said. Nobody is suggesting that loot cannot be used unless it has a socket.And the trap is set.

So why wouldn´t i just want every item to start with +1 socket? When there is never any benefit to not upgrading the item, why would i want to finish a questline every time just to get the "not dumped down"-version of the item? I thought people wanted to have more choices not more loops to jump.

Okay, I think I get it now. You are saying that if we are allowed to socket items, any items that don't have sockets added to them are basically useless. And that it could be said, metaphorically speaking, that you are 'forced' 'to unlock your loot first, before you can use it?'

Is this correct?
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Dwelve
You lost me.The CM explained that the reason socketing was removed was because it was a chore to nip back to town every time you found an upgrade, to socket it.Tell me, just how often do YOU find an upgrade and would nipping back to town at that frequency really be a chore to you?The CM talks as if we find an upgrade several times per run, not once every...well, that could be dozens or hundreds of runs.

If you start using the AH all your upgrades will be coming from further usage of AH.

I never used the AH and i find an upgrade every 2nd run and i would not enjoy having to rush through normal difficulty just to add a socket to the item.

This is your best idea to make the game more interesting? Forcing you to unlock your loot first, before you can use it?

Dude, just hang on there one moment.

You happen to be talking to the epitome of self find.
I have never equipped my character with anything I haven't found myself, I am about to hit 3000 hours on my one and only character, yes you read that right.

If there is one thing I tell people about this game and finding upgrades, it is those words you just told me, "If you start using the AH all your upgrades will be coming from further usage of AH".

Now, we agree on that, although there is mitigation in that it is possible to use the AH sparingly, I know some who do, but they are few.

But I think you are in the very young stages of self found progression, that is quite obvious by what you say. You may be finding upgrades that regularly now, but you won't for long, believe me. And, while you are in fast-replace-progression you would be less likely to need or want to socket depending on what's involved.

Later on, when self found upgrades are literally 100s of hours apart, believe me, nipping back to town being a chore is a ludicrous statement to make.

As for loot being unusable and locked, normal difficulty, I haven't got a clue wtf you are talking about.
Edited by Anuhart#2131 on 12/14/2012 2:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 12:54 PMPosted by Iskra

So why wouldn´t i just want every item to start with +1 socket? When there is never any benefit to not upgrading the item, why would i want to finish a questline every time just to get the "not dumped down"-version of the item? I thought people wanted to have more choices not more loops to jump.

Okay, I think I get it now. You are saying that if we are allowed to socket items, any items that don't have sockets added to them are basically useless. And that it could be said, metaphorically speaking, that you are 'forced' 'to unlock your loot first, before you can use it?'

Is this correct?

Is this correct, sir?
Reply Quote
It's fairly simple really. Items drop with # of affixes. Socketing an item would work if there is room to add that affix. Sometimes I've found items with way higher stats than if I had a socket and added gems so not always would I want a socket in that reason. Blackthorns are sort of like that and some mojos for Witch Docs.

Radiant gems are expensive. Socketing items should be an expensive option to be fair I think. It would be one of those things "do you buy in the AH, is your drop good enough to socket, or continue the item hunt"? I'm not so sure everyone would jump to socket every item. You would only do it if you found that item that had all the right stats anyway. For example a weapon with higher DPS, crit, attack speed, LS/LoH and just missing a socket. Even those don't drop that often.

Look at my offhand on my barb. I would socket if I could to get some LoH but looks like that items is maxed out for affixes anyway. It would be expensive as it is. Radiant gem to get +600 LoH where another item could have more than that or Life Steal. Cost of socketing it. Could be a big gold bill but would be worth to add to this item. Other items I wouldn't waste doing it.

The use of the AH. Hate to say it but a hell of a lot of items drop for other classes (directing us to use the AH?). I started playing 2 toons so I could gear up both my WD and Barb. I found almost the entire IK set with my WD and Zuni items and other good WD stuff from my Barb. Otherwise I would have to hit the AH more to get those things for my class. Lately almost all items that are good are falling with DEX so I'll soon be able to build a Monk and Daemon Hunter. LoL!

Also, items that hit a certain level in the AH skyrocket in prices. I like the item hunt but the hours to put into looking gets dull. Other options to build like socketing is a simple ask.
Edited by Shockwave#1233 on 12/14/2012 3:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Why so hesitant to respond, Dwelve? I wanted you to say it yourself so that the point really stuck but whatevs, I'll say it for you.

Yes, that is exactly the point that you were trying to make.

So by your very own logic, if items can be socketed, then unsocketed items become useless.

Well, I have got some news for you. Items already can come socketed and weapons without sockets are already considered garbage. Seeing as your own main character's weapon has no socket, it is useless and you should probably vendor it.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Dwelve-1798/hero/2918381

No? I'm glad you concede.

The problem that you think adding sockets will create already exists. The reason people want socket quests is because this game is incredibly shallow and lacking in customization. All 'customization' in D3 is relegated to the realm of items, and we can't even customize those.

I admit, a socket quest still doesn't fix this problem, given the pathetic amount of socketables in this game. What we need is more gems, runes, and jewels. This provides more item variety in drops and more customization of characters. We could have runes that add to block chance and amount, gems that add IAS or LS to weapons, jewels that add armor and resistance to armor pieces. But of course, we need a socket quest to make them really useful.

Even if socketing items could be viewed as a chore, it would be well worth the time. And they will add this, believe me, they're just going to make us pay for it in an expansion, though it should have been in the game from the beginning.

As to your response to the poster above, just because you are a newb doesn't mean that everybody else should be.
Edited by Iskra#1389 on 12/14/2012 3:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
89 Gnome Mage
They could make a Goblin Mini Event much like the ubers, collect x amount of goblin items for to socket an item!, and here's a kicker..
have Normal goblin ubers for items of normal difficulty level,
and nightmare
and hell
and inferno!
it'd give those non-level 60 players something to do and a reward at that!

p.s. drops rates i cant really say what would be a good one. but maybe a chance to drop a "click to add a socket to item" stone or something. im not sure i think scaling it to MP's would be the ideal fair way to go but would need to keep added difficulty in mind, perhaps make them sellable and can drop an "extra" stone from previous difficulties or something with higher mp, i dont know, just an idea but i know it'd be way to many of these stones if people get it 100% of the time from mp10
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]