Diablo® III

Socket adding used to be in game?

12/14/2012 03:12 PMPosted by Dwelve
So why would you want to keep this at socketing items? Why not instead allow to chose for a variety of affixes to chose and use as enchancement? 45str, or x %movementspeed or stuff like that. If you allow modification of an item why not chose one that allows character customization? That´s what Blizz is going to announce at 1.1 or at 2.0. Don´t you think this would be better?

Eventually there will be many types of gems I think. So sockets just add some flexibility to your gear. There still needs to be an items hunt or no point in farming / playing if you can just make what you want.
Reply Quote
Why does everyone want a socket quest so badly?

A socket quest is a terrible idea - it would have a very strong negative impact on the itemization. Right now, items that roll sockets are valued highly above those that aren't. If a socket quest were added, all your socketed items would become worthless, and rolling sockets on an item would become a wasted affix.

Why are you all so eager to have a socket quest?
Reply Quote

A socket quest is a terrible idea - it would have a very strong negative impact on the itemization. Right now, items that roll sockets are valued highly above those that aren't. If a socket quest were added, all your socketed items would become worthless, and rolling sockets on an item would become a wasted affix.

Why are you all so eager to have a socket quest?

This point is only valid if you assume that items which rolled a socket couldn't be used with the socket quest. It could vary per item slot. For instance, maybe it would be a good idea for magical, rare, and unique helms to have a 1 socket max, or to not be able to use two of the same socketables in one helm. The manticore already has the ability to roll two sockets, so we know that Blizzard is not against this.
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 03:20 PMPosted by Entity

I think a quest would be pointless. Adding some more content to the game would be nice if that's really what people are after here.

Off topic from socketing:
Sure we could use the old gems back in game from D2, charms I've read people saying sounds like a good idea. Goblin secret level with very angry goblin protecting their loot (maybe the so called lost pages lead there).

The whole point to this post was socketing was in the game and was removed. Would like to see it back in is all. There are many things that can go into an expansion.
Edited by Shockwave#1233 on 12/14/2012 3:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
The ability for players to add sockets could possibly decrease AH sales.
Reply Quote
i do not want to have to go to town to get a NPC to add a socket to my my gear. i can not be bothered. i just pick up some gear off the ground, throw it on and keep going..
Reply Quote
@ bobbyhill. Yeah, me too. Who'd want to go through all of that extra hassle.
Reply Quote
Who cares what happens to the AH? Also this stupid reasoning to not include socket. We should not balance the itemezation around the AH. This is why the game came out so badly.

Anyways lucky for you that aint true.

If anything AH sales would spike and skyrocket. People will buy perfectly rolled non socket items to socket and all high no socket items that are cheap now would jump 30x value. And if Add Socket can still be added to items with socket allrady they would either remain or increase in value as well.

Blizzard would rather not chance it though. I'm with you. I don't believe in the AH at all. It's a pile of poo IMO.
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 03:54 PMPosted by Otis
The ability for players to add sockets could possibly decrease AH sales.

The AH is been somewhat dead for a while now anyway. Unless you have something that is the perfect roll you are gold but my luck has been not as great lately so nothing is selling at all for gears. Gems and brimstone has been it, sad to say. If anything it might drop those really high prices items in the AH but still some items are damn near perfect and very rare to get. Those will be pretty high priced. How many items have you found that have top 3-4 affixes? I haven't or have but DPS / Armor is low.

12/14/2012 03:58 PMPosted by bobbyhill
i do not want to have to go to town to get a NPC to add a socket to my my gear. i can not be bothered. i just pick up some gear off the ground, throw it on and keep going..

You won't have to do something like that often. If you found something good and have equiped it you might just find a socket is useful to add and while in town click over the NPC quickly at the beginning or end of game. Or don't .. to each his own. :)
Reply Quote
Jay Wilson said in interview its online because to prevent hackers, dupers, exploits, and manipulations.

The real reason why it is, is so they can profit off 30% of sales from auction house.
Thus being said, Im sure they absolutely consider the chances of AH deflation or inflation. i think they should impliment what i mentioned on my earlier post, but i doubt that'll happen, so i'ma go with i wish they'd just focus on the dynamic of the game and stop putting $$ where fun could be. if they want money, just rid of AH, make it pay a lil too play and actually take some of the community members with incredible knowledge and ideas and impliment them in.. heck, i think it'd be cool that the multi-billion dollar Blizzard industry picked up some people with whicked ideas, could use a few jobs in 'merica.
Reply Quote
Dwelve,

I haven't a clue why you keep going on about a quest and normal mode etc.

The blacksmith in town simply socketed gear, it was in game, it was in trailers, there are videos of them showing it and previewing it.

The CM who the OP quoted (follow the link in OP) talked about RETURNING TO TOWN to socket an upgrade BEING A CHORE when you would rather just equip it and carry on.

That is as self explanatory as we need, the CM envisioned us finding many upgrades, often. Often enough that going to town to socket it was a chore.

One may well find upgrades regularly while leveling and in the first stages of lvl 60 progression, but never, ever, is this more frequent THAN YOU GOING TO TOWN ANY WAY.

Now stop being so bloody silly.
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 04:14 PMPosted by TwoCoins
Chance what though? Like i said the AH would jump in activity because people will be buying up all the great dps non socket items.

How do you know for sure? You're speculating, sir. My guess is that Blizzard will stick to what's working. The 'easy money' is better than chancing it from their POV
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLmSde5MMhM
The game 2 years ago was better than this mess. They even made it where you can salvage multiple items and made it more less time consuming? What the hell happened to this game?

"this allows gems to be used in Diablo 3 to a much greater degree than in previous games"

Ya, sounds nice.

I like what he said in that VGA interview:
"I really like games with, um, very kind of open exploratory worlds, so maybe something like Diablo that was open world..."

That sounds pretty cool too. Almost like Diablo 2....

Wtf, man..
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLmSde5MMhM
The game 2 years ago was better than this mess. They even made it where you can salvage multiple items and made it more less time consuming? What the hell happened to this game?

I Loved the artisan & Concept of this idea.. and the fact that you can salvage as you go with the "Salvage box" made it all the BETTER, therefor defeats the whole purpose of returning to town to get rid of gear anyway, which Jay Wilson said himself.

Now its all filled with items that are worthless without it being BiS, even being able to craft and manipulate 1 affix to be 90% of the max or something could be amazing. for example: i found a wand that is:
100% crit damage, a socket, and 2.4% life steal. Black damage.. but the damage on it was===== 216 dps. !!! i hadnt found affix rolls like that in a long time since my 400 crafted swords experiment.

if people are to think adding more crafting / modification functionality is going to ruin this game, they are soley thinking of their pockets, The developers said they want it to be about YOU, your in-game experience, so then.. my thousand hours of farming and playing still results in my going into AH to find an upgrade..

I believe the majority of actual Diablo fans and players would much rather enjoy being able to find things in game, and actually utilize crafting features that can benefit them and not even haveto think or consider going into AH if they dont want to. I did just fine in normal trading in Diablo II, could care less personally if my suggestions went live and crashed the AH.
Someone else mentioned something about buying D3 just to auctionhouse.. Not the direction "I" was hoping for, for this much anticipated game.

there useto be a diablo 2 mod i played called Eastern Sun, they made mobs / bosses more difficult, they added probably 500% more crafting than the original Diablo 2 LoD and it was amazing. the power of being able to craft can be glorious, just depends on how you go about implementing those features
Edited by FuSioN#1412 on 12/14/2012 4:45 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]