Diablo® III

Introduce Paragon 100 "smart" drops

One of the big issues one faces when playing D3 is what some call the "gear wall". When your gear becomes very good, there comes a time when it's simply impossible to either find or buy upgrades (it simply requires too much luck or too much gold).

Moreover, the inherent problem with a random drop system is that luck is just dumb, making the system itself dumb. Playing the lottery may be fun for a while, but it has never been considered particularly smart.

Last, the current itemization issues make for both gimmicky and non-RPG builds. For example, all the top-dps monks and DHs use exactly the same gear combination. Set items especially are often not good enough in themselves to compete against best-of-class legendaries and people just give up on complete sets.

Introducing Paragon 100 drops.

When one reaches Paragon level 100, instead of getting regular legendary items, on should have a chance (equal or maybe slightly lower) to get a "Paragon 100 drop", that is an account-bound drop that uses one the char's equipped items as a baseline and then improves it.

Because those drops would be account-bound and require paragon level 100 to be equipped, they could only be used to improve the current char or another char brought up to level 100.

But they would replace dumb luck with smart luck and:

-- Allow great set items, legendaries or even rares to become better still and help make sets more appealing, because you'd need to have your Nat's Sight or Inna's Favor equipped to hope getting an improved one with added or upgraded affixes. A Nat's Sight so improved, adding IAS or combining CC with all res (which are mutually exclusive right now), could become competitive once again with a Mempo for instance.

-- Make people want to keep on playing after reaching Paragon 100 because all of a sudden they'd know that _will_ get upgrades if they keep at it. No need for the AH and mountains of gold any longer. Upgrades _will_ drop. Just keep playing and having fun.

-- Make people want to bring more than one char up to Paragon level 100.

-- Make for truly unique heroes, because each Paragon 100 drop would be truly unique, improving on an already great item in new ways. Any helm could carry IAS, or movement speed, any belt CC or CD etc. A Calamity could offer both DEX _and_ a socket. LS could belong to any item, not just weapons and Barb's belts.

-- Remove the constant suspicion that the random drop system is meant to force people to use the RMAH to buy gold and make Blizzard money that way, because upgrades are simply impossible to get through actually playing the game. With "smart" account-bound drops, one can get upgrades by simply _playing_ D3. Finally!

Using the same logic, Hellfire rings, when crafted by a Paragon level 100 char, should replace the 35% xp affix with a useful one: 9% IAS xor 6%CC xor 50% CD. It would give players an incentive to craft new ones because a really great one would be that much more probable.

I hope you'll find those suggestions useful.
Reply Quote
+1 Good idea.
Reply Quote
Very good idea, but don’t stop there.

Give something major at lvl 50 too. Not something game changing, but 2 new tabs in the stash or something. It wouldn’t give them a serious database size problem if it was a high lvl reward.
It could be something else.
And for every 10 lvls give something "minor" such as:
  • Identify all
  • Socket one item (Account bound)
  • Roll one bonus stat for one item (Account bound)
  • An extra item slot
  • +Pickup Radius
  • +Resource regeneration
  • And so on.
    You would see people start using alts if the reward at lvl 20 was to improve an item with a socket or an extra random stat. (Account bound when improved).
    Reply Quote
    very good idea
    +1
    Edited by Zhoth#2214 on 12/19/2012 5:33 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    +1 for creativity.

though i would like things rather on the way then after reaching 100. The path is important, actually achieving 100 not.

- for pickup range, its not always a plus to have it, so don't force it on every char/built.
    Edited by Ferisam#2351 on 12/19/2012 6:00 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    Yeah, so that one can farm A3MP0 for another 1000+ hours.

Encouraging players to farm XP makes no sense with the current system of MP levels.
    It is most rewarding to be a ' farm monkey' that can run around A3MP0 for 12+ hours a day. Such game presents no risk, no challenge, no fun. It is a dull, boring JOB.

What other game gives more valuable rewards to players that have no skill, just time? Even WoW gives rewards for defeating difficult raid bosses (heroic mode etc.) or being top-rated Arena player (rating system).
    Reply Quote
    it seems like d3 becomes more of a real game and less of a "job" after reaching para 100 and where gamers would start to enjoy it.

BUT reaching para 100 is NO easy task and most casuals will give up and start the QQ engine again in no time demanding that this "bonus drop" system starts at para 50, you see where we getting at?
    Reply Quote
    Interesting ideas.
    Reply Quote
    Yeah, so that one can farm A3MP0 for another 1000+ hours.

Encouraging players to farm XP makes no sense with the current system of MP levels.
    It is most rewarding to be a ' farm monkey' that can run around A3MP0 for 12+ hours a day. Such game presents no risk, no challenge, no fun. It is a dull, boring JOB. ...

Most farm for exp on mp0 anyways... and a3 the same... there is no difference. And talking about the uselessness of Paragon 100, well in SC I agree unless you play for money in the RMAH, in HC its kind of nice, since not everybody, even with enough time can make it.

I'd welcome a nice add here and there, feels rewarding, especially since the mf and the drops don't.
    Edited by Ferisam#2351 on 12/19/2012 5:44 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    it seems like d3 becomes more of a real game and less of a "job" after reaching para 100 and where gamers would start to enjoy it.

BUT reaching para 100 is NO easy task and most casuals will give up and start the QQ engine again in no time demanding that this "bonus drop" system starts at para 50, you see where we getting at?

Reaching 100 is a goal, as was 99 in D2... the thing that keeps you playing is never to reach it. Level 100 is not a substitute for Endgame Content. Reaching 99 was dull, pointless and dumb and luckily I always stopped before reaching it (except once, by helping someone, which was sad, cause I never touched that char again afterwards). The same goes for 100, the path is the target, getting there should be exciting, reaching it signifies an end. Same with everything, the expectation is what keeps us going, the promise of something great, wonderful.
    Reply Quote
    Mh. I don't like it.
    It promotes sticking to only one char and one gear layout.

The strongest will be those who only ever play 1 char while the others who actually play the whole game, including other classes, are penalised for doing so.
    Reply Quote
    +1 for creativity.

though i would like things rather on the way then after reaching 100. The path is important, actually achieving 100 not.

- for pickup range, its not always a plus to have it, so don't force it on every char/built.

Then make it a choice between two like the follower skill choices.
    One could be something flashy like "Set aura" and the other "Pickup range".

All the awards don't need to be "Identify all" cool.
    Reply Quote
    GREAT IDEA!!! calling all blues!
    Reply Quote
    Hopefully Blizz can take some time off from posting fanart, cosplay pictures, and polls and implement this great idea. Bump for Justice!!!!
    Reply Quote
    I like this idea. Gives me more incentive to keep slogging along in trying to get to Paragon level 100.
    Reply Quote
    good idea i love

12/19/2012 04:57 AMPosted by Achilleus
    Because those drops would be account-bound and require paragon level 100 to be equipped, they could only be used to improve the current char or another char brought up to level 100.

now i can farm for my own gear this would be awsome!
    Reply Quote
    This idea is too good. It won't be implemented. Sorry.
    Reply Quote
    nice idea, +1
    Reply Quote
    +1 this would add alot of playing value to the game make me actually care about reaching p100
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]