Diablo® III

Introduce Paragon 100 "smart" drops

It honestly sounds like you've realized how long it would take you to get an awesome mempo or whatever to replace your innas or whatever, and wanted to come here an QQ. Youre still going to be crying for that mempo in your own system.

Actually no. I could grab my Visa card and buy a CC6% Mempo in the RMAH if I really wanted one. Because I certainly never will be able to afford 2 billion gold nor find one myself.

However, I don't really want one, because I'm happy with my full Nat's set. I like to think that that's the way DH are meant to be geared up. My monk has an Inna's, my barb an IK's etc.

What I do regret is that the current itemization makes it impossible for a Nat's Sight or an Inna's Radiance to even approach the dps benefits provided by a Mempo. Sure, optimizing, min-maxing etc. is fun. However, when top monks and top DHs are geared exactly the same way, giving up on their classes' specific advantages because the itemization is such that they can't have both the dps _and_ the classes' bonus, there is an problem. You're taking the 'RPG' part out of the game entirely and build as well as gear diversity goes out the window.

Moreover, relying only on "dumb" drops, there is _no_ way that you'll be able to find upgrades after you reach a certain point. The more MF you have, the more drops you get, but their quality and usefulness are still determined by luck alone and luck is still just as dumb.

So, right now, unless you spend a lot of real money or play the gold AH all day long instead of actually playing the game, upgrades are just impossible to get in-game.

To make upgrades possible, you need a "smart" drop system to replace the dumb one currently at the core the D3 experience. And you need to make those tailored drops account-bound because the idea is not to feed the AH but to free the players from the need to use the AH.

Introducing smart drops at Paragon level 100 would be a good way to make people want to go that far. And it would solve most of the itemization problems in the game. Sure an "improved" Mempo would still make more damage than an "improved" Nat's Sight, but maybe not so much if the Nat's has gained IAS for instance. And in the end, players might find that having +20 disc is indeed a good way to enjoy playing a DH. More so than making +10% dps.

Having fun playing Diablo means finding upgrades by playing the game, not the AH. Random -- i.e. dumb -- drops make that goal statistically impossible after a certain point.
+1
Reply Quote
I actually like this idea... Although, casuals are gonna rage.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 06:35 AMPosted by Mugel
I actually like this idea... Although, casuals are gonna rage.

I don't see why they should. D3, like all Blizzard games, is supposed to be around for a long time. So why does it matter if it takes one 3, 6 or 8 months to get to Paragon 100, as long as one has a good reason to play the game? And I think offering actual upgrades to players as they _play_ the game is just the right reason.

Of course, it doesn't mean Blizzard couldn't make the system work better for everybody.

First, instead of "smart"-dropping whole account-bound items, they could simply drop account-bound plans to improve existing items (I think someone has already suggested that idea, which is really good). It would mean that the baseline item would be used in the crafting process and thus unavailable for resale, which would be a good thing since the whole idea is to remove the need for Paragon 100 players to rely on the AH, unless they really want a new baseline item to equip and improve with the right plan.

Because you need "baseline" gear to get to 100 and then to start the improvement process, good items would still be valuable. However, one wouldn't necessarily need a 2-socket Manticore or a CC% Mempo: one could get a 1 socket model or a high main attribute helm and then wait for the right plan to come along to add the missing affix. More options, less gouging.

Also, it would let Blizzard drop such plans every 20 or 25 Paragon levels as a reward for regular players to give them a taste of what's to come at level 100.

Last, Max MF would also become really useful, ensuring not only more drops, but _better_ items since one would get more plans.

As for the plans? You could only use one of each kind on a given item, but they could add:
- a socket to any item.
- a150-200 boost to an attribute (either already present or new).
- 8-9% IAS
- 5-6 %CC
- 40-50% CD
- 12% movement speed.
- 200-300 life regen
- 2.5-3% LS

The list is endless. Itemization issues would be a thing of the past. No need to _pay_ 2 billion gold for an item, just get a good "baseline" one, play till you hit Paragon 100 and then use the Blacksmith to craft a great account-bound upgrade.
Reply Quote
I like the concept.

Giving players an actual incentive to grind away... BUT...
Should this be implemented with the current gear available? It seems like a lot of development. It would be nice to see more build diversity before we spend hours playing all just to have that perfect Mempo Helm, Lacuni, Echoing fury, skorn etc etc...

It would be nice to create your own unique geared build then wait for YOUR perfect legendary to drop. Especially if they are going to be account bound. This is based on the idea that the items dropping are an accurate improvement on the ones currently in your slots.
Reply Quote
+1 great idea
Reply Quote
Cool idea, but if you are PL 100...you can probably handle MP8-10 reasonably well.

What will be the point of getting higher gear if you are PL100, can easily clear top content, and by now have farmed yourself silly to get to PL100 in the first place. Maybe PVP will be out by then ?? haha...Please wait while I hold my breath...standby to resuscitate me please.

With that said, upgrades for those at PL100 would be worthwhile to add to keep people interested. Frankly, I dont see the point of leveling to PL100 except for the increased MF and the personal satisfaction from the accomplishment.

Maybe at PL100, players unlock movement speed and increased gold/health globe pick-up "for the entire party" or other full party effects.
Reply Quote
I like the concept.

Giving players an actual incentive to grind away... BUT...
Should this be implemented with the current gear available? It seems like a lot of development. It would be nice to see more build diversity before we spend hours playing all just to have that perfect Mempo Helm, Lacuni, Echoing fury, skorn etc etc...

In effect you'd be crafting your own "perfect" legendary using special PL100 plans to add affix or improve existing ones.

Start with an all res Inna's Favor and add IAS and CD% to rival the best Witching Hours out there _and_ keep using your Inna's bonus. Start with a life% Nat's Sight and add IAS and all res to get competitive with Mempos and keep enjoying your +20 disc.

Build diversity shouldn't be an issue any longer. Sets would be competitive again, so gear diversity would make a comeback too.

And we wouldn't be stuck with random, i.e. dumb, drops as our only choice.
Reply Quote
+1
great idea, i absolutely like it.
Unfortunatley i jave the feel like the only "reward" the current design team could think about is "adding a 1-2% chance for 1 extra (fail) drop or a 1-2% chance to get an extra affix"......."
Reply Quote
+1
great idea, i absolutely like it.
Unfortunatley i jave the feel like the only "reward" the current design team could think about is "adding a 1-2% chance for 1 extra (fail) drop or a 1-2% chance to get an extra affix"......."

If you're right, then I'm afraid there will be absolutely no reason to keep on playing the game. Most of my friends end up playing for a couple of weeks after each "update" to see what's changed and then just go play something else, because fundamentally, up to now, nothing has changed.

Paragon levels, with their GF/MF bonus, are a really good idea. Until one realizes that more magic drops means more legendaries, but not necessarily better legendaries. And it's not only a question of better rolls: many legendaries are just inherently bad items that simply should not even exist in the game (Frostburn or Gladiator gloves for instance). Others could be great, but are still, despite last August redesign, severely limited by the itemization constraints imposed upon them.

Affixes mutual exclusivity on Set items is a glaring issue: it means that Sets, which are one of the only real RPG-esque element in the game with class-specific items, are nerfed from the start and can't compete with more potent Legendaries, even with so-so rolls. A Witching Hours or a Mempo even with so-so affixes (low CD%, no CC% etc.) will still make much more damage than an Inna's Favor, a Tal's belt (those two have severe issues from the start) or a Nat's Sight. The fact that Set weapons are so bad remains a mystery to me: why bother making them at all if they simply can never be good?

In a Nat's set, only the Slayer gives an automatic 1% CC bonus beyond the set bonus. And Slayers are completely useless. For a Reflection of a Sight to give CC%, one needs to get lucky: how does that make sense? _Every_ Sight should come with CC%, just like every Inna's Radiance or IK helm does. CC% is _so_ important for DHs. Such design decisions diminishes the long term value of Sets. And if you introduce a PL100 system into your game, you're supposed to be thinking long-term.

In the end, it all comes down to the fact that relying on random/lucky drops/crafts exclusively means relying on a _dumb_ system. PLaying the lottery is just dumb. For one winner, there must be thousands of poor losers. and in the end only the lottery organizer sees a regular profit. Unless people get wise and just stop buying tickets.

Getting to PL100 means buying 10 billion xp points of tickets. If one has _nothing_ to show for it at the end of the journey, then, really, there is can be no reason to keep on playing.

I have accumulated 220+ brimstones since 1.0.4 was released. My secondary chars are wearing good, but not great legendaries, which I have found, but my main char, a PL97 DH, isn't wearing even one piece of self-found equipment. I have crafted several Hellfire rings which are all utterly !@#$ty. I wear one for the xp bonus, but it's trash material, making me lose 40k dmg compared to my dps-ring which languish in my stash while I work my way to PL100.

Luck simply isn't a working concept for a fun-to-play game after a while. Luck is dumb. And I'm tired of dumb.

I want D3 to smarten up.
Reply Quote
Bump for this and hope this gets some attention from the GMs. I'm seriously considering keeping Diablo 3 in the shelves when I hit 100. There's no more motivation to keep on farming after I hit that magic number.
Reply Quote
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
I suppose im at the point where i see that the next item that i buy is going to cost me 300-400m coins, the concept suggested by the OP does sound cool and would be interesting but... the value of top gear would diminish as everyone at the top now has account bound gear that is better then anything they are wearing or is on the AH. I believe this would then cause an effect were the rich get richer as they can sell their old epic gear on the RMAH as they have no need for gold now and the poor get poorer because they must pay large amounts of money to acquire gear upgrades until that holy grail of paragon level 100 is reached.

Final thoughts, it is an interesting concept but i don't believe it could work as it is too unbalancing for the game.
Reply Quote
I agree with the OP, it's a very good idea. It would make people want to get to P100 and give some incentive to keep playing other characters for years to come. It would defiantly give the game some longevity. I vote yes. OH wait, I forgot, this won't make Biz money. Scratch this idea.
Edited by Bushido74#1817 on 1/5/2013 2:57 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]