Diablo® III

SnB Q&A Part 2

Yo.

There was an earlier post in this thread (2nd or 3rd post) that asked about using Superstition over Tough as Nails.
Personally I've got pretty low AR, it's at about 460 without War Cry so I would imagine Superstition would be the go for me. The pants I use are on my monk in case anyone who checks is wondering why I'm not wearing any. I'm planning on trying swapping Overpower - Crushing Advance for War Cry.

However, when I toggle Tough as nails and Superstition in D3rawr I get an EHP boost for TaN but not for Superstition so I was wondering if any of you guys know why that might be? Is it just too hard to calculate?

Incidentally, the MH weap on my monk is the same one I use for my barb. Easier to swap it over than buy another one. I'm just running with Skorn at the moment coz I got a bit bored.
hmmm... just sold my helm of command 150 mil. May have made a big mistake. It was a huge EHP boost. It would boost Jooks ehp by almost 1 mil.

http://www.diabloprogress.com/items/?class=all&slot=all&item_name=helm+of+command&stat1=crit_chance&val1=4&stat2=sockets&val2=&stat3=all_res&val3=59&stat4=armor&val4=700&stat5=&val5=&stat6=&val6=&max_bo=&compare_to_btag=jook%231782&compare_to_char=514906&sortby=score

oh well now I have some cash to spend.
View profile
it's a big boost for Jook in terms of his pvp dummy score to my opinion

DPS Unbuffed -11,000.67
EHP Unbuffed +976,091
yeah probably should have looked at all this BEFORE i sold it.
i thought of getting a hoc but never put much effort into it maybe ill get one next just to see. Pvp score is weird.

Its all about finding the perfect balance of dps to ehp and its something ive still not perfected. But at this point i dont feel like dropping dps is the solution. If anything i plan on losing another 1 mil ehp in hopes of 12k+ dps. But who knows, i cant tell you how many times ive regeared trying to find the answer to the best setup.
Edited by Jook#1782 on 1/14/2013 2:19 AM PST
i thought of getting a hoc but never put much effort into it maybe ill get one next just to see. Pvp score is weird.

Its all about finding the perfect balance of dps to ehp and its something ive still not perfected. But at this point i dont feel like dropping dps is the solution. If anything i plan on losing another 1 mil ehp in hopes of 12k+ dps. But who knows, i cant tell you how many times ive regeared trying to find the answer to the best setup.

@jook that is the questions that baffles us all. Because there is no right answer. It is up to your play style, preference, and opinion what the right balance is. In my case I know I wanted about 200K DPS unbuffed and my goal was simply to get there while keeping my EHP as high as possible. Everyone has a different goal and idea of "balance"
Is a Stormshield just that much better than most shields? I'm looking at some that are around 8 CC with 25% block and the price point seems to be around 10 million or so. My current shield is a little low on block % but gives lots of DPS with the strength and CC, and tons of HP. The strength and CC on a Stormshield would probably improve my DPS a bit. I lose a ton of life but I'll still be over 50k with more all resists and reductions. Is the benefit so much that it's worth it as my next upgrade? I'm sitting on around 14 Mil. I've got a better pair of shoulders with a little less Vit but Life % and +Armor but I'm trying to sell them for more gold.

In looking at d3rawr, it doesn't look like a Stormshield at 25% is going to make much of a difference to my EHP.

On that note, any recommendations on what I should upgrade next at 14Mil gold? Should I sit tight and save more gold?
Edited by BoscUlrich#1603 on 1/14/2013 10:15 AM PST
@boss
Yes a SS is that much better but try to save for one that is 30 block chance with 9 CC so that it can last you for sometime and you don't have to re-upgrade

*edit look for a very good MH weapon as well .. save for one that is 1000+ dps with at least 100 strength with OS and if you're lucky native CD as well .. and LS but LS weaps are super expensive
Edited by QHTran#1403 on 1/14/2013 10:19 AM PST
View profile
Is a Stormshield just that much better than most shields? I'm looking at some that are around 8 CC with 25% block and the price point seems to be around 10 million or so. My current shield is a little low on block % but gives lots of DPS with the strength and CC, and tons of HP. The strength and CC on a Stormshield would probably improve my DPS a bit. I lose a ton of life but I'll still be over 50k with more all resists and reductions. Is the benefit so much that it's worth it as my next upgrade? I'm sitting on around 14 Mil. I've got a better pair of shoulders with a little less Vit but Life % and +Armor but I'm trying to sell them for more gold.

In looking at d3rawr, it doesn't look like a Stormshield at 25% is going to make much of a difference to my EHP.

On that note, any recommendations on what I should upgrade next at 14Mil gold? Should I sit tight and save more gold?

The primary advantage of the Stormshield is the high block percentage...so if you're gonna get one, try to aim higher than 25%. I'd say 30% min.

The one thing i dislike about SS's is that they can't roll CC and Vit/life % at the same time...but don't discount the high AR and other reductions as they do help tremendously. Vit can be made up on other gear

Stormshield is BIS for S/B barb
Edited by fabbyhunter#1917 on 1/14/2013 10:21 AM PST
@boss
Yes a SS is that much better but try to save for one that is 30 block chance with 9 CC so that it can last you for sometime and you don't have to re-upgrade

*edit look for a very good MH weapon as well .. save for one that is 1000+ dps with at least 100 strength with OS and if you're lucky native CD as well .. and LS but LS weaps are super expensive

yea funny thing about Stormshields... you are never happy with the one you have until you find a perfect one.. I have upgraded my SS like 5 times. I think I am done though as there are not many on the US Server better than the one I have now.
Haha yeah true that but that goes with all gears
Your SS has almost all perfect rolls >_< … 34% block, 10 CC, 6% melee, 7% elite
Do you really need that 1 extra AR and 10 strength though? Maybe if a perfect roll ones come along = )
@boss

In the AH research I've done my weapon upgrade is looking like a really expensive proposition. The huge strength number has to be made up somewhere to make it a worthwhile upgrade and 1050+ DPS with OS and native crit or STR are extremely expensive. The 246 STR is the equivalent of about 67 native crit damage right now.
@boss,
you can take off the native CD in your search and go with 1100 dps 150 strength and OS
that should bring the price down
the additional strength can be made up with your SS… it should give you + 80-90 strength against your current shield

Don’t worry about the loss of HP too much on the shield as your EHP might just drop down a bit because you’ll be gaining the % mitigation and around 70-80 AR and higher block%
I was in the same boat as you. You can take a look at the first SnB Q&A thread where I was asking the same question = )
Who knows the SS might be an increase to your EHP? =D

Ohh and be patience when buying and look for deals
I’m dirt poor but I was able to upgrade slowly
14 Mil is high roller to me lol

My normal SnB setup is 95K dps and 8000+ amour with 600+ AR
I switched out some gears and skill in my current profile to do Plvling on MP2
@boss,
you can take off the native CD in your search and go with 1100 dps 150 strength and OS
that should bring the price down
the additional strength can be made up with your SS… it should give you + 80-90 strength against your current shield

Don’t worry about the loss of HP too much on the shield as your EHP might just drop down a bit because you’ll be gaining the % mitigation and around 70-80 AR and higher block%
I was in the same boat as you. You can take a look at the first SnB Q&A thread where I was asking the same question = )
Who knows the SS might be an increase to your EHP? =D

Ohh and be patience when buying and look for deals
I’m dirt poor but I was able to upgrade slowly
14 Mil is high roller to me lol

My normal SnB setup is 95K dps and 8000+ amour with 600+ AR
I switched out some gears and skill in my current profile to do Plvling on MP2

1100 dps 150 strength and OS will only increase my DPS by about 5000. I'll have to see what the prices are at that range. My existing weapon with 50% crit would add 7000 DPS.

Yeah I haven't had any drops sold for over 5 mil and I have limited playing time so I have to maximize the value of my gold. I've been pretty good with finding deals. Nearly every piece I've purchased I've sold it for more than I paid for it. My problem is getting impatient and upgrading my gems lol.
Edited by BoscUlrich#1603 on 1/14/2013 11:05 AM PST
View profile
@boss

yea funny thing about Stormshields... you are never happy with the one you have until you find a perfect one.. I have upgraded my SS like 5 times. I think I am done though as there are not many on the US Server better than the one I have now.

crypt, i've seen your evolution over the last few months...you are building a barb exactly as i would...200k/2 mill ehp

what did you do with your other sword (the 1372 dps one)? for sale?

crypt, i've seen your evolution over the last few months...you are building a barb exactly as i would...200k/2 mill ehp

It was a Dupe so I sold it....I dont want any dupes on my barb. So currently I am persuing swords.
Edited by Crypter#1856 on 1/14/2013 12:10 PM PST
Hey guys, I've been gone about a month now but want to get ready for dueling in 1.07. Looking at my guy what changes would your recommend. Will the 5 piece IK set bonus be useless in dueling?
View profile
01/14/2013 12:28 PMPosted by PUNO
Hey guys, I've been gone about a month now but want to get ready for dueling in 1.07. Looking at my guy what changes would your recommend. Will the 5 piece IK set bonus be useless in dueling?

Puno...why don't you wait till dueling is enabled on PTR. We don't know yet what it will be like, for example if there will be any dmg reduction etc

It would be wise to wait and see how the other classes will play and if they get any PvP nerfs before building your char.

It was a Dupe so I sold it....I dont want any dupes on my barb. So currently I am persuing swords.

Thats too bad bro...i would have bought it from you. Dupe or no dupe, that was a sick sword
Edited by fabbyhunter#1917 on 1/14/2013 12:40 PM PST
01/14/2013 12:39 PMPosted by fabbyhunter

Puno...why don't you wait till dueling is enabled on PTR. We don't know yet what it will be like, for example if there will be any dmg reduction etc

It would be wise to wait and see how the other classes will play and if they get any PvP nerfs before building your char.

Thats too bad bro...i would have bought it from you. Dupe or no dupe, that was a sick sword

Well, one of the five or six copies of that sword is usually always available on the ah
What are the general principles of increasing DPS for S&B as opposed to dual wield?

Dual wield
- 2 socketed weapons and 1 with extra crit damage
- min 2.0 attack speed
- basically max crit chance, since you lose the 10% on shield
- mainhand axe/mace for the crit bonus
- 2 lifesteal sources not counting passive, high DPS is okay with 1 and passive

S&B
- shield with 10% obviously
- crit goal? when should you go for chance vs damage
- mainhand preference? Is sword better in almost every case?
- attack speed, good balance with crit OR high as possible?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]