Diablo® III

SnB Q&A Part 2

As per the responses from the veteran SnB barbs in this thread, the general idea is CC and CD are priority for SnB, since swords are naturally faster. IAS is secondary.

Swords are preferred once you have respectable CC and CD levels, since when using HOTA and a full fury globe, you approach being crit capped, after which more CC and CD are not as effective as +15% increased damage with a sword spec becomes. Because 10% CC on a shield is available in place of the passive, getting 100% crit rate on HOTA hammer remains doable without axe mastery. 15% increased damage from sword spec then becomes more valuable.
What are the general principles of increasing DPS for S&B as opposed to dual wield?

Dual wield
- 2 socketed weapons and 1 with extra crit damage
- min 2.0 attack speed
- basically max crit chance, since you lose the 10% on shield
- mainhand axe/mace for the crit bonus
- 2 lifesteal sources not counting passive, high DPS is okay with 1 and passive

S&B
- shield with 10% obviously
- crit goal? when should you go for chance vs damage
- mainhand preference? Is sword better in almost every case?
- attack speed, good balance with crit OR high as possible?

- I would say atleast 50% with passives but 60% with battle rage is around ideal.
- Sword - Increases in 15% dmg provides more dps than the 10CC does once you reach the crit goal. Sword is also faster, which is something SnB can lack from the lack of DW buff (15% ais increase).
- Get it as high as possible, once all other goals have been met. I think this plays out much better for the majority of our builds and helps with rend, revenge, hota. I think with WTOB active our attack speed is more than enough. I would say bare min ais rates would be 1.5 but 1.75 is the more optimal and any higher is just a bonus.

What do you all think? I am curious to what everyone has to say, I have always been a cc then cd then ais type of barb.
-
@Baller I think you are spot on there. In my opinion I like fast attack speed (as you can tell from my gear) so I think 2 aps would be my goal as a minimum. But 1.75 I think is more realistic.
A higher IAS gear setup would open the opportunity for a WWDT/HOTA Hybrid build as well. I believe it was Omega who posted his 2hand skorn WWDT/HOTA hybrid with 7 slots of IAS and that was incredibly effective. You probably have enough IAS to give SWW a solid try, Crypter.
View profile
01/14/2013 04:52 PMPosted by Crypter
@Baller I think you are spot on there. In my opinion I like fast attack speed (as you can tell from my gear) so I think 2 aps would be my goal as a minimum. But 1.75 I think is more realistic.

@Baller/Cryp - guys yes i agree with at least a minimum of 1.75 atkspd (no wotb) and rest is a bonus, and then concentrate more on cc, cd and damage modifers
View profile
@boss
Yes a SS is that much better but try to save for one that is 30 block chance with 9 CC so that it can last you for sometime and you don't have to re-upgrade

*edit look for a very good MH weapon as well .. save for one that is 1000+ dps with at least 100 strength with OS and if you're lucky native CD as well .. and LS but LS weaps are super expensive

yea funny thing about Stormshields... you are never happy with the one you have until you find a perfect one.. I have upgraded my SS like 5 times. I think I am done though as there are not many on the US Server better than the one I have now.

agree with this lol, im actively looking for an SS upgrade now

10cc
190+STR
1200+Armour
-6% - melee
-6 or 7%- elite
75+AR

let me know if you find something or know someone selling

Nike

yea funny thing about Stormshields... you are never happy with the one you have until you find a perfect one.. I have upgraded my SS like 5 times. I think I am done though as there are not many on the US Server better than the one I have now.

10cc
190+STR
1200+Armour
-6% - melee
-6 or 7%- elite
75+AR

Nike

no block?
:)
01/14/2013 05:09 PMPosted by sfxer
A higher IAS gear setup would open the opportunity for a WWDT/HOTA Hybrid build as well. I believe it was Omega who posted his 2hand skorn WWDT/HOTA hybrid with 7 slots of IAS and that was incredibly effective. You probably have enough IAS to give SWW a solid try, Crypter.

Yeah, I did the SWW build for paragon leveling and its very effective. With the same amount of APS I have now 1.92. Wish I had 2.0, so I could be in the next nado bracket, but it doesnt really matter now, I am not going back to that build, because I am forever scarred from that paragon run I did and dont want to twirl in circles for a while. Any increases in APS now just helps me with keeping WOTB alive and mowing down elite faster.

Currently running the rend/hota build with sprint for fast elite farming..... working pretty good.

@Nike/Crypter - Yeah 1.75 seems to be the sweet point, where your barb really takes off, granted your CC and CD are up there. I think it would be a mistake to skimp on both CC and CD in favor of ais in our set up, as we need to deliver a powerful punch and are handicapped in that regaurd compared to the 2 handers and DW'ers.
View profile

10cc
190+STR
1200+Armour
-6% - melee
-6 or 7%- elite
75+AR
34% block

Nike

no block?
:)

oops updated! thanks mate

updated!
BALLER is a total boss just thought i'd drop in to say that
01/14/2013 06:03 PMPosted by Nikeboy1984

Yours is already so nice :(!
View profile
@Nike/Crypter - Yeah 1.75 seems to be the sweet point, where your barb really takes off, granted your CC and CD are up there. I think it would be a mistake to skimp on both CC and CD in favor of ais in our set up, as we need to deliver a powerful punch and are handicapped in that regaurd compared to the 2 handers and DW'ers.

Yes man cc/cd is our bread and butter for massive attacks, if we just rely all on ias and white damages without cc/cd it can be easliy mitigated/reduced no matter how fast the atk speed is by a powerful EHP barb especially on duels.

EDIT: and if your opponent spams threathing shouts, wc and other damage mitigators then nothing will be left on those white damages to my opinion
Edited by Nikeboy1984#6661 on 1/14/2013 6:25 PM PST
Noted, Nike. Will watch out a SS for you. I just sold a SS 32%, 9.5CC, 189 str at 120M after tax. Which I bought it at 7M. Also surprise that it could be sold for so much. In fact before that I am thinking to ask you guys that whether I should use that as compare with the SS I have now with 34%, 9CC, 190 str. The one I sold only provide 1k dps. But I still want the 34% block.
Cheers....
01/14/2013 07:10 PMPosted by ehong
Which I bought it at 7M.

I need one of those nice deals. Been trying to push my luck and look for a SS with 30%+ block and 8%+ crit for under 10m.
No problem, xxxkan. I will watch out for you too. In SNB thread here, we are helping and sharing with each other, that was demonstrated by Jook and Nike earlier on.
View profile
Noted, Nike. Will watch out a SS for you. I just sold a SS 32%, 9.5CC, 189 str at 120M after tax. Which I bought it at 7M. Also surprise that it could be sold for so much. In fact before that I am thinking to ask you guys that whether I should use that as compare with the SS I have now with 34%, 9CC, 190 str. The one I sold only provide 1k dps. But I still want the 34% block.
Cheers....

thanks man, yeah the additional 2% block is greater than .5 cc and worth the trade off.
View profile
01/14/2013 07:35 PMPosted by ehong
No problem, xxxkan. I will watch out for you too. In SNB thread here, we are helping and sharing with each other, that was demonstrated by Jook and Nike earlier on.

and BALLER and Cryp as well, we've known one another ever since we are all starting to gear up as mid-tier S&B barbs and witness the evolution of one another :)
01/14/2013 07:35 PMPosted by ehong

Thanks in advance!
Cheers....

thanks man, yeah the additional 2% block is greater than .5 cc and worth the trade off.

ya thats what i kinda figured, since SS was meant for block i went with a 33% block but 7cc over my 27% block and 8cc

and it was only 3m
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]