Diablo® III

SnB Q&A Part 2

Bump for @Jook, @BALLER, @Crypter,

hows PTR testing?

Not enjoying it, seems my choice to go for balance is not playing out so well in PVP. My EHP is good enough to fight other barbs, but when it comes to good DH's (like Kamikaze) I get owned bad. That and I still havn't found a good build that works with my gear and stats. Seems I keep trying different things out but no time to test when your getting caught in a !@#$ storm / cluster %^-*.

@Nike and Crypter,

Im doing pretty good man. I got owned by Detox and Moldran, but they had juggernaut on and I didnt know about the stun procs.... it was like my second match in PTR and me and crypter were getting pretty hard lol.

I think the FFA format is fun, but a little much at times, I think 1v1 would be much funner or atleast more competitive.

Im using a throw build with some good success, im not even messing with HOTA. I think 5 piece IK could be the best build to free up an armour passive.

Overall, I think barbs need high dmg output with less focus on high AIS. With a large amount of mitigation (not so much on HP as mitigation), though HP will definetly help, but if you have to choose one, I would pick mitigation (AR or Armour). This is aligned with my original thoughts as well. AIS doesnt seem to matter at all, nor does movespeed. I say this because you can leap away which is like 1000% MS and your never going to get a chance where your going hit for hit very long.
View profile
@BALLER - same observation man, me and Moldran had a 1 round faceroll duel last night(NO WOTB), it was a very close close fight, if it wasn't for that 0 fury i could have stand a chance against him so fury resource is very important.

I think we both need to work together on how we can improve this build for pvp purpose.
Edited by Nikeboy1984#6661 on 1/17/2013 6:14 PM PST
@BALLER - same observation man, me and Moldran had a 1 round faceroll duel last night(NO WOTB), it was a very close close fight, if it wasn't for that 0 fury i could have stand a chance against him.

I think we both need to work together on how we can improve this build for pvp purpose.

Yeah I need to add you on the PTR and fine tune it.

I got a 5 fury reduce wep throw IK belt, which allow me to spam Wep Throw a lot, which is nice.

So this is what has been working pretty well for me against a lot of other classes as well and what I am finding is, that only high level barbs give me trouble. I can stand pretty well with the other classes.

1 - Rend - Savage
2 - Wep Throw - Stun rune (May change this though)
3 - Battle Rage - Into the Fray (May change this as well)
4 - War Cry - Impunity
Left - Frenzy - Maniac (may just get rid of this all together, I never use it)
Right - Leap - With Pull In

So basically my existance in PVP so far has been Leap, rend, then spam wep throw as much as I can lol.

Im thinking about changing battle rage rune to maruaders rage and taking frenzy out and put in ignore pain or overpower crushing advance.
View profile
Thanks BALLER, we will play tonight, btw have you guys read this?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593741962

so additional -7% damage to elites will have a huge effect on our SS shields!

EDIT: though imagine a high DPS DH wearing SOJ with +30% more damage :|
Edited by Nikeboy1984#6661 on 1/17/2013 6:35 PM PST

Thank you christ! Wow that is great news, I was really bummed out when I thought it didnt work because I have 2 really nice SOJ's (one with -5 wep throw and one with +12 Fenzy, both +6/30% DMG) and my litany is going to be a boss..... That was my gear plan all along, so you Nike, have just made my day because i was really bummed out over this lol.
View profile

Thank you christ! Wow that is great news, I was really bummed out when I thought it didnt work because I have 2 really nice SOJ's (one with -5 wep throw and one with +12 Fenzy, both +6/30% DMG) and my litany is going to be a boss..... That was my gear plan all along, so you Nike, have just made my day because i was really bummed out over this lol.

yeah it was a good sign for us man, i also have 2 Good SOJ's that ive never used, -Hota and -Frenzy, but i might buy a Throw and -Rend as well. And for the litany yeah! i still have my good old one!

yeah it was a good sign for us man, i also have 2 Good SOJ's that ive never used, -Hota and -Frenzy, but i might buy a Throw and -Rend as well. And for the litany yeah! i still have my good old one!

Yeah man, the litany and SS will mitigate half of the dmg increase from everyone elses SOJ's. So its going to be huge!!! I really like the -Wep throw, I have a -5 IK belt and -5 SOJ, so I can get free wep throws with inspiring presence. I just read what im saying and im sounding like a damn throw barb lol.
View profile
so imagine this, the fact that we use Stormshield so we can free up 1 ring slot for SOJ without having a huge EHP impact.

yeah i think we need to come up of a Hybrid S&B-Throw PVP setup and we will have a great chance against other classes.
@Baller @Nikeboy

If you guys find a good soj with -throw that is a good deal snag it for me I'm good for the gold. Will have limited access tonight. Wrote this on my phone. I already got a good -hota and a -bash soj
Edited by Crypter#1856 on 1/17/2013 7:19 PM PST
View profile
@Baller @Nikeboy

If you guys find a good soj with -throw that is a good deal snag it for me I'm good for the gold. Will have limited access tonight. Wrote this on my phone. I already got a good -hota and a -bash soj

yeah i agree, i haven't found one but a friend of mine quit D3 for a while and he has a perfect -throw cold SOJ, i might just ask for it in return ill give him unlimited drinks in the pub.lol
it is good news indeed (players=elite).. and yet another thing to throw back at the ss haters in general chat..

i have a cold frenzy soj in my stash wich will be fun to put back on.. perhaps i was unconsciously preparing for pvp after all :) ss/soj/litany prices will likely rise..

thank you for the upgrade feedback guys.. appreciate it.. its funny i think im sniping a decent item on the ah (ice climbers) and in my haste i forget to check for vital things like vit :(
on a slight variant of topic.. it seems to me those of us who decide to wield a shield are held in some sort of 'nub' or 'gimped' opinion by the community.. (atleast some of the general/trade chat iv dealt with and been called out and ridiculed by) i happen to like the idea and feel of SnB so i will stick by it.. i also wish to be prepared when dueling comes to live..

but i wonder why im considered 'retarded' by some when they see i have a shield instead of dw? maybe those people are just epeen try hards? thoughts?

Been there. I was in a pubby game a while ago, high dps ww barb and two dh's. They where basically wiping the maps clean of whites leaving very few kills for me so I just tag along and pick up loot here and there.

One of them said that they where "carrying the shield barb" and another asked "kick?". I replied basically saying my dps is up there with you guys and the reply was "well, he isn't a bot so let him play".

A while later we hit the quest in the keep, the guard with the bailed up monsters behind the door which is usually a nasty pack of Rumbles, triple so this time. The ww barb and the dh's stepped into the room and all died within seconds.
I buffed, hit WotB/insanity and stepped into the room. Two of the other players tp'ed to me during the fight and died again. It took a fair bit longer than the 10 seconds timer of wotb, but basically I soloed the e pack then started raising the fallen.

I said, "tell you what, you guys clean the trashies and I'll take the e-packs, K?

We rolled the entire act and every e & boss I face tanked along with questions like how much dps in wotb? and comments like "gogo asmo!" while I soloed another couple of nasty e-packs that had the party dieing again.
Edited by Asmodeous#1189 on 1/17/2013 8:54 PM PST

Overall, I think barbs need high dmg output with less focus on high AIS. With a large amount of mitigation (not so much on HP as mitigation), though HP will definetly help, but if you have to choose one, I would pick mitigation (AR or Armour). This is aligned with my original thoughts as well. AIS doesnt seem to matter at all, nor does movespeed. I say this because you can leap away which is like 1000% MS and your never going to get a chance where your going hit for hit very long.

I agree with you, Baller.

IAS based DPS won't be good in the arena because of block chance, IMO. The lower the individual hits are for, the more chance they will be completely block absorbed. The best way to bypass the shield block mechanic is with staggeringly large crits well over the block amount of a SS. Obvious Example: 2-handed Skorn crits. Other Example: less frequent, but harder hitting crits.
Edited by sfxer#1565 on 1/18/2013 7:28 AM PST
01/17/2013 08:53 PMPosted by Asmodeous
I said, "tell you what, you guys clean the trashies and I'll take the e-packs, K?

lol this brings a smile to my face = )
When you guys check yer EHP are you counting dodge or no? I am feeling 90% sure i should but i just wanna make sure.
Edited by Pwnani#1343 on 1/18/2013 3:09 PM PST
01/18/2013 02:39 PMPosted by Pwnani
When you guys check yer EHP are you counting dodge or no? I am feeling 90% sure i should but i just wanna make sure.

In Barb v Barb fights you might as well not count it because of rend and that goes for block as well. Rend is a real killer and it cannot be blocked or dodged! Other wise, yes I would count it.... if your talking about anything other than Barb v Barb battles.

I agree with you, Baller.

IAS based DPS won't be good in the arena because of block chance, IMO. The lower the individual hits are for, the more chance they will be completely block absorbed. The best way to bypass the shield block mechanic is with staggeringly large crits well over the block amount of a SS. Obvious Example: 2-handed Skorn crits. Other Example: less frequent, but harder hitting crits.

Yeah man SKorn is probably the best barb v barb build around. The rend dmg is ridiculous, its very hard to not die from it. Basically if the skorn guy crits a rend, you are done deal in most cases.
So today I spent some time dueling with friendlyfade and when I whipped out the skorn and used furious charge to quick rend I was able to kill him. But with my SnB vs his he was very tough. He uses sprint and rend very effectively with his stuns.
View profile
aside from Skorn's massive amount of weapon damage when used for rend/lacerate, it also goes with like 90+% of chance dealing xxxx-xxxxx bleeding over 5 secs. No one will be able to withstand that.
i bought a skorn to use for pvp. Doesnt have lifesteal but i heard life steal is useless in pvp anyways. Put me at 231k unbuffed o.0
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]