Diablo® III

Dark D3, does it violate blizzard regulation?

(Locked)

I'm using Dark 3D , it's a program that change the graphic to look like a diablo 2 graphic. will i get ban for using this?
View profile
no. its been posted in the past by blues that it will not get you banned.
all it is, is a visual filter. does not edit game files or write to memory.

you can of course go search for those posts.
- Technical Support
View profile
Any modification of the game files is banable. Period.

As per the TOS:

The license granted to you in Section 1 is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the “License Limitations”). Any use of the Service or any Game in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as a breach of this Agreement and an infringement of Blizzard’s copyrights in and to the Service and/or Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

E. modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of any Game or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;

Dark 3D is not authorized. Should you get caught, you are subject to a suspension or ban.

If I have this wrong, please feel free to link to the blue posts authorizing this mod.
Edited by MissCheetah#1661 on 12/20/2012 8:16 PM PST
@morogoth
I did a search trying to find a blue post stating that using dark d3 will not get my account ban before i make this thread, i can't find it. All i find is people saying it's ok to use darkd3. It would be nice to see a blue post confirming that it's ok to use it.

@miss cheetah,
This is what bothers me, this program is sort of in the grey area of the tos. It only mess with the graphic (does not make you kill mobs faster or get a better drops), yet it's modifying the game files.
MVP - Technical Support
110 Draenei Mage
no. its been posted in the past by blues that it will not get you banned.
all it is, is a visual filter. does not edit game files or write to memory.

Citation please.

All I could find from the Blues is :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4916891761
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4916891761?page=3#58

saying not to use them and that they will not approve specific examples of ones that are OK.

Apparently there's something on Jay Wilson's twitter saying you're unlikely to be banned from it.

Can't find the tweet right now but IMHO the difference here is the first 2 posts are from operational staff currently supporting D3 while the other (the tweet) is from a developer who may or may not be working on that area of D3 right now.

EDIT : For more clarity
Edited by Bluespacecow#1139 on 12/20/2012 9:37 PM PST
Thanks Bluspacecow +1 :)

After reading all that, i decided to use it anyway. If i get my account ban so be it, it's blizzard fault for making d3 looks like a disneyland :(
View profile
Any modification of the game files is banable. Period.

As per the TOS:

The license granted to you in Section 1 is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the “License Limitations”). Any use of the Service or any Game in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as a breach of this Agreement and an infringement of Blizzard’s copyrights in and to the Service and/or Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

E. modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of any Game or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;

Dark 3D is not authorized. Should you get caught, you are subject to a suspension or ban.

If I have this wrong, please feel free to link to the blue posts authorizing this mod.

as i stated quite clearly this doesnt modify any game files. this makes this non-bannable.
keep in mind though that not all mods can be said so much for. in fact im sure there are plenty of mods and hacks out there that DO edit game files. this is why you will always hear the blues give you more or less a canned response. they are protecting themselves and they are protecting you. they dont want you to be banned, its not fun if you get banned. they dont want to hear you yelling at them though either, also not very nice.

Apparently there's something on Jay Wilson's twitter saying you're unlikely to be banned from it.

Can't find the tweet right now but IMHO the difference here is the first 2 posts are from operational staff currently supporting D3 while the other (the tweet) is from a developer who may or may not be working on that area of D3 right now.

the twitter you are looking for is here:
https://twitter.com/angryrobotics/statuses/201726183740686336
"TOS against mods is so we can ban cheaters. I agree DarkD3 is not a cheat...yet. As long as it is not a cheat, no ban is likely. ~Jay Wilson"

he clearly says that the TOS is there to ban cheaters. he is responding to a question about DarkD3 and talking about mods in general. like i said above with the person quoting TOS at ppl, DarkD3 doesnt edit game files. Jay says that it is not a cheat "yet" and that as long as it is not a cheat no ban is likely to come of it. if someone took it and modified it to do other things where suddenly it started writing to the D3 memory to affect gameplay then it would be a cheat. if someone rewrote it so that it replaced critical game files then it would be a cheat as far as the TOS is concerned. as long as it has its own files, does not write to the game memory, and does not edit any game files it is not a cheat.
There's an extra download at Darkd3 that modifies the main binary to change the font on loot drops.
View profile
01/02/2013 09:08 AMPosted by NewJohnny
There's an extra download at Darkd3 that modifies the main binary to change the font on loot drops.

yep.
i recommend against using that just out of caution and that it is specifically against the TOS.

the main download of DarkD3 does not edit any game files and is just a simple visual filter.

however, the "extras" download does let you know that it will edit the Diablo 3 executable file. since it will be editing a game file (even though its only for fonts) it is against the TOS and can get you banned.
Support Forum Agent
Diablo III Exploitation Policy

Technically, any and all Diablo III mods are against the Terms of Service. One can certainly debate the likelihood of whether certain types of mods might incur penalties versus other types of mods, but ultimately the safe route is to simply not use mods.

it's blizzard fault for making d3 looks like a disneyland :(

I must have missed the ride at Disneyland where the loveable, anthromorphic characters explode into fountains of gore. I'll have to look for it next time because that would be awesome! ;)
90 Blood Elf Warlock
The dismembered topless zombie women that crawl around Tom Sawyer's island are especially annoying. No, you can't have a cigarette, lady. Let go of my ankle and stop puking. This is a family establishment.
View profile
[url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-exploitation-policy?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=support_forums&utm_campaign=BlizzardCS"]Diablo III Exploitation Policy[/url]

Technically, any and all Diablo III mods are against the Terms of Service. One can certainly debate the likelihood of whether certain types of mods might incur penalties versus other types of mods, but ultimately the safe route is to simply not use mods.
)

i think its great you do exactly what i said you would do :)
ultimately though if you read that link you will see that DarkD3 violates none of what you posted.

additionally in terms of the EULA/ToU section 2
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/d3_eula.html
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/termsofuse.html
it does not violate those terms

in fact the only thing to watch for is the "extras" download which has already been stated and even tells you itself that it modifies game files. this by itself should tell you dont do it if you are worried you might be banned.
View profile
05/25/2013 10:39 AMPosted by mondo
I must have missed the ride at Disneyland where the loveable, anthromorphic characters explode into fountains of gore. I'll have to look for it next time because that would be awesome! ;)

Disneyland is for kids, D3 is rated M for mature.
The only thing Anthromorpic about this game is Blizzards Love of money.

coulda fooled me about the M rating of the game...
personally i would rate it lower.
01/02/2013 03:48 PMPosted by Kaltonis

Bad attempt at humor as if you don't know what the author and millions others are trying to say. Ha ha.
01/02/2013 03:48 PMPosted by Kaltonis
[url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-exploitation-policy?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=support_forums&utm_campaign=BlizzardCS"]Diablo III Exploitation Policy[/url]

it's blizzard fault for making d3 looks like a disneyland :(

Har har, bad joke is bad.

It could be because Diablo fans were expecting this;

https://wachtsseu.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/diablo-1-5-1.png

but we got this instead;

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EFZYyFlxlm4/UaUdGcfTE2I/AAAAAAAAAuA/FJ8QoFmAYmk/s1600/diablo3+index+of+games+3.jpg

Now if you were to guess which one looks more like a disney property, which would it be?

OBVIOUSLY the second one. Because it's VERY disney in style -- it attempts to be a bright water color painting atmosphere, where the other attempted to be a scary gothic fear inducing atmosphere.

You know, so we use mods to make Disney land look like;

http://obywatelhd.pl/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Dark-D3.jpg

Because it looks WAY better this way.

Game is very bright, VERY colorful. It has a Disney cartoon color pallet, which makes the game look and FEEL like a cartoon -- which takes all the scary fear induction out of the atmosphere completely. It's now just some random arcade smash em up, where it USED to be about strategy, consequence and out right fear inducing encounters.

This is pretty much undeniable. I don't know why they decided to neuter the graphics -- not only did they neuter them and make them really bad, but Blizzard can't even get the game to run at 60fps constant on PC. Console team knocked it out of the park on PS4, maybe those guys should get promotions.

P.S.

Dark D3 is NOT a Diablo 3 MOD -- It's an FXAA Injector, like SweetFX or ENBSeries, it doesn't modify ANY Diablo 3 files, so what the BLUE GUY SHOULD have said was, no -- Dark D3 doesn't modify any D3 game files, therefor; it's safe to use.

BECAUSE IT IS.

P.S.S.

At least the BLUE guy admits that the enemies look cute and lovable, the only distinction between Diablo and Disney is that in Diablo they explode into arcadey cartoony explosions of blood and gore....

So even he AGREES it looks like disney until you handle your business. That's the real joke of the post.
Edited by Laokin#1676 on 9/15/2014 9:41 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]