Diablo® III

Skorn MP10 Perma WoTB - Video

I recently changed from DW build to a Skorn build and have been asked by quite a few barbs on my experience with Skorn. My perception of Skorn like many others was that it was paper DPS heavy. That is true, but with the right gearing, Skorn barbs can actually be very effective. Do note that I pretty much have top end gear.

Below is a summary (Note: I do not run with a builder) -

Build Link:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ZhPURQ!ZWY!ZZcZYZ

DW vs Skorn

1. DW is slightly stronger for DTWW for AoE DPS. I have top DW weapons (1177 DPS MH Axe / 1262 OH EF) and I hit the 3.35 IAS breakpt on MH for DW.
2. Skorn is significantly stronger for ST DPS (especially vs yellow bosses / goblins). Took out a MP10 goblin in 7 secs.
3. Fury management is obviously more difficult with Skorn. For this reason, I use animosity.
4. You need a crap ton of IAS to make this work
5. You can maintain Perma WoTB with Skorn using either WW or HoTA. I have -5 to HoTA and with the high crit rate, WoTB is constantly at full duration vs just 1 target

Elites

On average, they take approximately 20-25 secs to down. The first encounter consisted of 2 elite packs (yellow + champ) both combined took me 30 secs to down. A single elite yellow boss takes me approximately 15 secs to down using HoTA.

Video

1. Bridge -> Arreat 2 -> Keeps 2 (high populated areas but I can just as easily maintain perma WoTB in lower populated ones)
2. First WoTB lasted me 14 mins across all 3 maps

Video Link: Skorn
http://youtu.be/VSfi_39Bdjg

Video Link: DW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t02oi4tpEoc

Video Link: Skorn - Azmodan MP10 35 secs (3.96 mn DPS)
http://youtu.be/C3TDg9YC0kc

Overall Skorn is very effective and alot of fun. I played a Seismic Slam / Whirlwind build and the results were pretty impressive. My previous experiments with Skorn was always somewhat lacklustre but the trick really was animosity for the fury management. I would not be going back to DW anytime soon.

*NEW* - WW build using Revenge: Best Served Cold
Video Link: VOTA MP10 (12.7 Secs Avg Elite Kill)
http://youtu.be/p3syaP8BJ0k

EDIT1: Added DW Video
EDIT2: Added Skorn Azmodan Video
EDIT3: Added VOTA MP10 Video
Edited by DAKKON#6113 on 3/22/2013 10:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Awsome, thanks again Omega for answering the questions I had earlier today with your experience on Skorn vs DW (WW).
Reply Quote
A thread and video like this is exactly what I've been waiting for. I recall that in the past, you were using somewhere around -10 to -15 reduction to HotA. Did you end up deeming that amount unnecessary? How important is IAS for maintaining HotA against a single target?
Reply Quote
Amazing dude. Just amazing.
Reply Quote
Thanks for sharing, I'll watch the vid. I'm still deciding whether to go Skorn or not and shell out for full CC/ IAS rings/amulet.
Reply Quote
View profile
Very nice! What was your APS in that vid?
Reply Quote
12/29/2012 05:53 PMPosted by silverfire
A thread and video like this is exactly what I've been waiting for. I recall that in the past, you were using somewhere around -10 to -15 reduction to HotA. Did you end up deeming that amount unnecessary? How important is IAS for maintaining HotA against a single target?

This is a very good question and I am glad you brought it up.

Previously I had -12 to HoTA using a DW build. (-5 SoJ / - 4 Mara / -3 Skull Grasp). Now, how much minus HoTA you need is dependant on the amounts of IAS / Crit and playstyle.

Take a step back and think about how a normal double tornado barb will play

1. Whirlwind
2. Low on fury -> Bash
3. Fury back up -> Whirlwind

The linkage to how much minus HoTA you need is dependant on whether or not you utilise step (2). If you are trying to gain fury back using HoTA (from zero fury base), you need to have alot of minus fury items, You can go from literally zero fury to full fury with high minus HoTA. In this case, HoTA is a true primary skill. i.e

1. Whirlwind
2. Low on fury -> HoTA
3. Fury back up -> Whirlwind

That was a problem. I was using HoTA as a way of gaining fury (i.e like bash) and not utilising properly the 1% crit per 5 fury mechanic. Hence my playstyle has evolved to

1. Whirlwind
2. Low on fury -> Whirlwind
3. Fury back up -> HoTA (if target has high HP)

TLDR: I only use HoTA now with a full globe of fury and not when I am low on fury. I can easily hold perma WoTB doing this. Due to this change, I only require -5 HoTA.
Edited by DAKKON#6113 on 12/29/2012 6:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
Your ias so high... it's pretty hard for average players to achieve that with those dps and ehp... =.=! Still very nice work.

You make me feel like returning to skorn. =)
I saw 2mil crits!
Edited by Horngyuh80#6218 on 12/29/2012 6:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/29/2012 06:20 PMPosted by RagingKoala
Very nice! What was your APS in that vid?

Thanks. With WoTB up - APS is 1.87 using Skorn.

EDIT: Short DW Video Posted. MH / OH APS - 3.35 / 2.91.
Reply Quote
I have 3 questions. What is IAS and DW and APS?
Reply Quote
Ias = increase attack spd
Dw = dual wield
Aps = attack per sec, your swing spd.
Edited by Horngyuh80#6218 on 12/29/2012 7:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
Nice work DAKKON! I've been thinking about trying hota and a skorn for something a little different. My gear is nowhere near the level of yours but would you mind having a peak and seeing if there is anything you might recommend? Thanks
Reply Quote
I was trying Hota Rend with Skorn a week ago.

How much HOTA reduction do you need in order to perma spam?

I use superstitious to make up for the lack of reduction of HOTA. Depending sole on HOTA insanely heal hehehe with LS. But my lack of EHP means my HP is like a rollercoaster and a 50/50 chance of instant KO.. especially when my HOTA is out of fury T_T.
Edited by Emperor#1656 on 12/29/2012 8:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
Your ias so high... it's pretty hard for average players to achieve that with those dps and ehp... =.=! Still very nice work.

You make me feel like returning to skorn. =)
I saw 2mil crits!

Just posted a Skorn Azmodan video. DPS of 3.96mn. With rend, this would crack 4+mn.
Edited by DAKKON#6113 on 12/29/2012 8:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/29/2012 07:24 PMPosted by Sedi
Nice work DAKKON! I've been thinking about trying hota and a skorn for something a little different. My gear is nowhere near the level of yours but would you mind having a peak and seeing if there is anything you might recommend? Thanks

You're actually well geared to use Skorn since your gear already has alot of IAS. IMO, go with this order -

1. Get a LS Skorn
2. Swap out IK Belt for WH for more IAS+CD. The LS from Skorn would more than compensate the loss of LS from IK Belt
3. Cold SoJ w/ - HoTA. It's helpful to maintain perma WoTB for ST DPS. It's still possible to do it without -HoTA but it gets tight and it is possible to lose fury.
4. Animosity
Edited by DAKKON#6113 on 12/29/2012 8:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
Wah -5 Hota cold Soj , I just saw one go off for 500m.

Can't even dream of this build lol.
Reply Quote
I was trying Hota Rend with Skorn a week ago.

How much HOTA reduction do you need in order to perma spam?

I use superstitious to make up for the lack of reduction of HOTA. Depending sole on HOTA insanely heal hehehe with LS. But my lack of EHP means my HP is like a rollercoaster and a 50/50 chance of instant KO.. especially when my HOTA is out of fury T_T.

If your total crit with HoTA (assuming max fury globe) is >100%. You only need -5 HoTA to maintain perma WoTB.

Wah -5 Hota cold Soj , I just saw one go off for 500m.

Can't even dream of this build lol.

Go for a normal -4/-5 HoTA SoJ. Cold SoJs are a nice to have but not must have.
Reply Quote
i think point of this thread is that with proper gear ($), skorn can be effective as DW, if not better :D

there's alternative method for skorn... i went with atk speed skorn instead of LS, also went with frenzy instead of hota. (14% on belt, 11% on SOJ) ..
my frenzy crit hit about 450~650k, and killing speed is not that bad either..

when I tested on ghom mp10, took me 1min 20sec with HOTA+rend, 1min 27sec with WW, 1min 36sec with frenzy+overpower.
anyway frenzy owns reflect dmg biotches.
Reply Quote
Hi Dakkon, which is more important: CC or IAS? I have 1.33 IAS and 48% CC. What would be minimum to perma-WOTB assuming no -HOTA? Thanks.

Btw how do I search for a -HOTA SOJ? There doesn't seem to be that option even under rings.

PS. I should say this is for a HOTA/Rend build, i.e. no WW/Sprint.
Edited by rahl#6100 on 12/29/2012 9:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
Armor
All types
Barb Skill - HOTA
Bonus to elite

here u goes
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]